or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Second Apple analyst sees "softness" in iPhone demand
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Second Apple analyst sees "softness" in iPhone demand - Page 2

post #41 of 57
I've never had a problem with AT&T's signal strength, but I live in SoCal. I did have problems in Palm Springs with an old Blackjack (I was borrowing from a friend because my previous phone died about a month before iPhone 3G came out) mostly indoors. I've been up there a couple times since with my iPhone 3G and I have better reception now. I've only experienced one dropped call ever and I believe that was because I was in an apartment building on the ground floor and the phone was trying to switch from 3G to Edge. So my usage to error ratio is pretty average for a mobile phone.

As for why the iPhone won't tether... I don't know why it shouldn't. Both Apple and AT&T stand to gain from that feature being added, even if it's an extra $10 charge per month or something.

AT&T isn't that bad. Verizon cripples many phones ported to their network, or removes native features to add V-branded ones that cost more per month and are less usable. Verizon isn't that bad either. I've never had Sprint, though I had Nextel before the merger and it was poor signal all the time. I've never had T-Mobile either, though I hear then have great plans but poor coverage. So I guess T-Mobile isn't that bad either. Any service you choose has positives and negatives. Each person has to individually weigh which options would better for them. The iPhone isn't perfect, but it fits my needs (read: wants). If it doesn't work for you, good luck finding the right phone for you.
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
When a company stops chasing profit and start chasing the betterment of their products, services, workforce, and customers, that will be the most valuable company in the world.
Reply
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Calm down, junior.


Smarten up, and we have a deal.
post #43 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

Change the casing back to metal? You really want poorer signal reception?

No - I hate my iPhone 3G's white plastic back. Granted, it shows off that I spent the maximum amount of money possible and therefore displays my spending power (white is only in 16GB and is $800 over here in Japan for some reason).

I loved iPhone 2.5G's metal back because it was classy; it was scratch resistant and visually appealing. I didn't like the antenna at the bottom of the back, but I did like the overall design style more - if I could have a curved metal iPhone without an antenna I'd buy it ASAP. I don't care if I lose a little bit of reception (apparently plastic gets like 20% more range).

I think, BTW, that Apple should emulate with its iPhone line what it did with its MacBook line - have a low end plastic iPhone and a high end metal iPhone.
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sounds reasonable at least in US- 3 new major touchscreen phones have/will have been introduced and people will now be even less likely to switch to an inferior network with all the bad publicity 3G/AT&T/iPhone has received.

you might be shocked.

the real truth is likely that the lower sales is cause everyone was running to the stores to grab the phone right away. so now it's the people that didn't want to deal with that chaos trickling in a couple of dozen a day or whatever to get the phone now that their contracts are running out.

so the warehouses and the stores don't want to waste limited storage space on tons of phones when they have the new Macbooks and MBPros and the new LCD display to stock up for the holidays.
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

How about a cutback to drain current inventory and introduce a 32GB version after the holidays?

i don't see it myself. folks have been screaming for more storage on the phone since day one. if they were going to have a 32GB model they would have put it out with the new model or very shortly after.

If they did it after the holidays they would probably have complaints like crazy from folks because with the 14 day return policy most buyers would be shut out of returning the phone. and even if there was some leeway given by store management, it wouldn't probably be more than 30 days or perhaps 60 so that still shuts out most of the buyers since they ran in during the summer to have the phone immediately
post #46 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Or maybe introduce a new Nano phone on a different network. Other phone makers can sell different models of different networks- can Apple?


that would be a question for their legal department but I am guessing no. the contract is likely that ATT gets all models of the iphone exclusively until whenever the cut off is.
post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I wonder how much demand there would be for an iPod Touch 3G?

that's called an iPhone
post #48 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And there you have it. No matter how awesome the phone is, if you constantly get dropped calls then it's useless.


true and that's part of why ATT lets you return the phone and drop your contract in the first 30 days with no ETF. And from what I understand the Apple stores will also waive the open box fee in that case.

I'm in LA in the hills and I get very good ATT coverage. not perfect. we'll say 95%. Sprint however, bad, Verizon Blows. When I was on Sprint and tried to cancel even just 2 weeks later they wanted to make me pay the ETF. I stuck with it until I could get up the spare cash and got rid of them about 4 months later. never looked back. what was amusing is that I had called and complained about the coverage issue 3 times in an attempt to get them to cut a deal on the ETF and to deal with the issue that their guy said my area gets 'terrific coverage, very solid, you will have no problems' which was a lie. one that was very often told it seems. nada. so then I call to cancel and they look up my account. and apparently can't see all the complaints cause they tried to offer me free texting, a better phone, yada yada to stay.
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotek2001 View Post

I've had my iPhone since February and have never had a dropped call. For that matter I've never heard of anyone I know reporting one either (not to say it hasn't happened)...

Maybe the issue is with network coverage in your area and not the phone itself?



some of the issue might be network coverage, but the problem is real. Apple released an update just to try to deal with the issue
post #50 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

If you look at the iPod sales, they're very cyclical. Most of the volume is sold when a new model is released and at Christmas. I assume that the iPhone will follow a similar pattern.

It's no surprise that in-between the release of the iPhone 3G and Christmas there will be a dip in sales.

not to mention that here in the US we have a pending economic crisis and credit is dicey etc, a lot of folks are holding off on massive holiday spending and that is dipping sales all over the place as well. many retail stores I've been in here in LA are working off skeleton crews cause the low sales mean they are covering their staff budget.

because the iphone is non essential for many they may wait until after Obama takes office and they see what he does for economic change before they put money into a fancy phone with a higher monthly service rate.
post #51 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

There is definitely something screwy with the at&t network here in New York.
I recently took a trip out to the Midwest and was shocked by how good the at&t reception was.
There wasn't any 3G but the Edge network was significantly "snappier" than back in NY.
Calls were also much clearer and didn't experience any dropped calls while in 3 different states.

well perhaps instead of complaining about the phone, the good folks of NYC that are on ATT should ban together and file a class action suit against ATT for failure to fulfill their promised service. you might not win any money or such but if you get it out into the press and make some noise ATT will have to do something about the bad service. more antennaes or whatever. and who knows, play the cards right and there might be a little money in there for ya. I heard some folks in the midwest were threatening to sue because the 3G coverage blows but they have to pay for it and they are asking to have their data plan cut in half until the coverage is sufficient. and the rumors are that they might pull it off.
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

I know, I'll tether my iPhone to my Mac. NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apple in its wisdom removed a most basic function that just about ALL mobile phones have.


actually that functionality is in the phone. just not in the software. and that is likely not Apple's fault. ATT sells a separate 3g for computer service and their contract between the two probably prohibits the phone from overlapping with said service.
post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

actually that functionality is in the phone. just not in the software. and that is likely not Apple's fault. ATT sells a separate 3g for computer service and their contract between the two probably prohibits the phone from overlapping with said service.

Not all people live in the US where the networks range from bad to really crappy. Why should I buy another device just to be able to use mobile data?

So what if its not in the software. If it is not functional it does not exist.

What does overlapping have to do with anything. Data is data no matter where it comes from. This looks like a tap dance statement more than anything else.

Are you going to be an apologist for all things Apple? I just want to know upfront.
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

What does overlapping have to do with anything.


it has to do with everything. ATT wants to make money after all. they don't want folks to be able to tether with the iphone when they can prohibit that function and make you go buy their 3g modem card with its own line and pay an extra $30 a month to them.

Also, if understanding that Apple is not the work of the devil and the sole blame for everything that something thinks is bad or wrong with all things associated with Apple makes me an 'apologist' then I guess I am one. I guess I'm also an TV Network Apologist as well cause I'm smart enough to understanding how ratings and show cancellations work and I don't blame it all on 'the morons that run the tv networks'

but you know what, in that case, I'm proud to be an Apologist. I consider it a sign of my higher understanding of how the world really works.
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

it has to do with everything. ATT wants to make money after all. they don't want folks to be able to tether with the iphone when they can prohibit that function and make you go buy their 3g modem card with its own line and pay an extra $30 a month to them.

Also, if understanding that Apple is not the work of the devil and the sole blame for everything that something thinks is bad or wrong with all things associated with Apple makes me an 'apologist' then I guess I am one. I guess I'm also an TV Network Apologist as well cause I'm smart enough to understanding how ratings and show cancellations work and I don't blame it all on 'the morons that run the tv networks'

but you know what, in that case, I'm proud to be an Apologist. I consider it a sign of my higher understanding of how the world really works.

If the discussion turns to TV, I will remember you. You did seem to conveniently ignore my statement about how other global networks can stand the load of having an iPhone tethered to a computer. Maybe you missed but this was the #1 argument around here. Poor AT&T's network just can not handle the load. Well that is AT&T's fault. Other networks around the world are doing just fine with tethering so anything less is pandering to AT&T and yes apologizing for their lack of planning and management. If you want to own this, then by all means do so.

I never said Apple was the source of all things bad but in the case of several things iPhone related, they are not the beacon of light that they try to portray. Apple is no better than Microsoft, Dell, etc.... They are out to make as much money as possible and to provide as little as possible in the process. I can deal with a sentiment like this but what I have a hard time with is the "we are better and look out for the consumer" mantra that they try to espouse and their followers evangelize.

Sooooo, your "so-called" higher understanding is not really that high as it does not apply here. Yup, we are clear no. Thanks for stopping by.
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I understand your anger man, you're the one with the phone call problems -not me. BTW I like any carrier that doesn't drop calls -it could be XYZ- it doesn't have to be Verizon. And I'm sorry you have such an awesome phone on such a lousy carrier AT&T (repeatedly on the bottom of consumer's lists)- too bad. Don't worry- iPhone in Europe I hear is awesome.

I'm glad you'll let Verizon nickel and dime you.
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

If the discussion turns to TV, I will remember you. You did seem to conveniently ignore my statement about how other global networks can stand the load of having an iPhone tethered to a computer. Maybe you missed but this was the #1 argument around here. Poor AT&T's network just can not handle the load. Well that is AT&T's fault. Other networks around the world are doing just fine with tethering so anything less is pandering to AT&T and yes apologizing for their lack of planning and management. If you want to own this, then by all means do so.

I never said Apple was the source of all things bad but in the case of several things iPhone related, they are not the beacon of light that they try to portray. Apple is no better than Microsoft, Dell, etc.... They are out to make as much money as possible and to provide as little as possible in the process. I can deal with a sentiment like this but what I have a hard time with is the "we are better and look out for the consumer" mantra that they try to espouse and their followers evangelize.

Sooooo, your "so-called" higher understanding is not really that high as it does not apply here. Yup, we are clear no. Thanks for stopping by.

pretty much spot on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Second Apple analyst sees "softness" in iPhone demand