or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone tops business rankings, steals Nokia market share
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPhone tops business rankings, steals Nokia market share - Page 2

post #41 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intosh View Post

When a survey shows that Samsung has nearly the same score as RIM, you know it doesn't really mean much in terms business use. The survey simply indicates that iPhone owners are on average more satisfied with their device, nothing more, nothing less.

As I posted elsewhere, I’m sure if you do a similar survey about computer operating systems in businesses, Apple will probably come out on top in terms of satisfaction as well. But does that mean the Mac OS X is a better business OS than Windows or Linux? ABSOLUTELY NOT, of course. It only means that users of that market where the OS X is suitable are very satisfied; and that users of the big majority of businesses where Windows is most suitable are less satisfied. It DOES NOT mean that OS X would be equally suitable for those businesses where Windows is used.

And regarding that comment about the "Dellish death", Dell is far from falling into the realms of insignificance. Last I checked, they are still #2 worlwide (yes, lots of people outside the US use computers too). They are still very profitable. They are still dominant in the corporate market. The only thing not going for them is their stock is "out of flavor". But that is bound to happen as you become a larger company and astronomical growth is no longer possible.

Who gives a damn how well of a business device it is if users are not satisfied with the product or don't companies want people to be satisified with their products? You must be one of those dudes who thinks what makes products are specs and features and not how much a user actually enjoys using the product.

You mean the same Dell who are now asking their employees to take unpaid leave off.
post #42 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intosh View Post

Dell and Nokia don't have a presence in the portable media player market, whereas Apple derives a significant chunk of their profit from iPod sales.

To make a fair comparison, you need to compare numbers for competing products. Lumping everything together and then claim Dell and Nokia are failing just on the basis of them being less profitable overall in ridiculous.

Dell is more profitable in computer sales than Apple and Nokia is more profitable in mobile phone sales than Apple. They are hardly failing in my book.

Prove this.
post #43 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intosh View Post

Dell and Nokia don't have a presence in the portable media player market, whereas Apple derives a significant chunk of their profit from iPod sales.

To make a fair comparison, you need to compare numbers for competing products. Lumping everything together and then claim Dell and Nokia are failing just on the basis of them being less profitable overall in ridiculous.

Dell is more profitable in computer sales than Apple and Nokia is more profitable in mobile phone sales than Apple. They are hardly failing in my book.

This guy is an idiot or is trolling as his comment is not fact based...

Dell Sales=64.15 Bil
Income=2.85 Bil

Apple Sales=32.48 Bil
Income=4.83 Bil (Mac share=2.25 Bil)

Now if you factor in that Apple's Mac unit accounts for 46% of their sales then the real number would be about 2.25 Bil give or take.

However Dell sells many other things than just computers aswell so to compare "oranges to oranges" as you claim than their income I'm sure comes down or Apple's goes up either way.

The fact that was being made was Dell may sell 10x or 20x as many computers but the fact also remains that they are less profitable than Apple. Also their numbers are not growing in the same league as Apple.
post #44 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

1. Iphone is not a smartphone.

2. I haven't seen a single person with a Nokia in the last 5 years

3. You can't even spell deuces

(sorry couldn't resist)
post #45 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

1. Smartphone needs to off the top of my head (will think of more):

View and edit: Word and Excel.
View: PDF
Copy and paste
Transfer files back and forth with other devices through bluetooth
Be able to connect to other computing devices through bluetooth

Not sure which of these the iphone can and cannot do, I'll leave that up to someone else.

There is no industry spec for smartphone. If you can find a legitimate one then maybe you'll be able to prove a point.
post #46 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDPayne View Post

This guy is an idiot or is trolling as his comment is not fact based...

Dell Sales=64.15 Bil
Income=2.85 Bil

Apple Sales=32.48 Bil
Income=4.83 Bil (Mac share=2.25 Bil)

Now if you factor in that Apple's Mac unit accounts for 46% of their sales then the real number would be about 2.25 Bil give or take.

However Dell sells many other things than just computers aswell so to compare "oranges to oranges" as you claim than their income I'm sure comes down or Apple's goes up either way.

The fact that was being made was Dell may sell 10x or 20x as many computers but the fact also remains that they are less profitable than Apple. Also their numbers are not growing in the same league as Apple.

You seemed to have missed the Nokia part. It would be a safe bet that Nokia sells more phones in a month than Apple sells in a year. So which company is doing better biz wise?
post #47 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

You seemed to have missed the Nokia part. It would be a safe bet that Nokia sells more phones in a month than Apple sells in a year. So which company is doing better biz wise?

First off, I didn't miss that and I never argued that second of all. I was commenting on the Dell comment and I realize I should have made that clear. Also if you would like me to say which company is doing better "biz wise" then I would say Apple, in the long run anyway.

If you look at the deferred revenue from the iPhone and the income from that annually and the fact that Nokia has been in the cell phone business for how long to Apple's 18 months or so... It's almost the same example of Dell's income. Apple's volume is tremendously lower but the income is not far off. Not to mention Apple's room to grow is much more vast then Nokia's.

As a business owner myself I would take greater profit than volume any day but that's me...
post #48 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Often labeled the outsider in the corporate world, Apple's iPhone has already reached the top of J.D. Power's satisfaction ranks for business smartphones -- and is simultaneously the second-largest smartphone maker in the world.

Can someone please tell me cos it's niggling me... If Apple is the second-largest, who is the largest?
post #49 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

Can someone please tell me cos it's niggling me... If Apple is the second-largest, who is the largest?

Nokia.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #50 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Nokia.

Thanks
post #51 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDPayne View Post

First off, I didn't miss that and I never argued that second of all. I was commenting on the Dell comment and I realize I should have made that clear. Also if you would like me to say which company is doing better "biz wise" then I would say Apple, in the long run anyway.

If you look at the deferred revenue from the iPhone and the income from that annually and the fact that Nokia has been in the cell phone business for how long to Apple's 18 months or so... It's almost the same example of Dell's income. Apple's volume is tremendously lower but the income is not far off. Not to mention Apple's room to grow is much more vast then Nokia's.

As a business owner myself I would take greater profit than volume any day but that's me...

Grow in what way. You act as is Nokia employees simply come to work everyday and wait to go home. That is the most ridiculous statement I have heard on this forum to date and believe me there have been plenty. Nokia will continue to do what their core biz is: make phones and cellular network infrastructure, and with that, they will continue GROW...... Apple sells one phone, and does this pretty well.

The one thing that the rest of the Appleistas here fail to realize is that Nokia is not going away. EVER. They will still sell their phones and still be the #1 seller in the biz. Apple will continue to be #2. This can be attributed simply to the fact that not everyone wants an iPhone. There are for sure more people that want Nokia's than those that an iPhone. Not to mention those that have had iPhones and went back to their brand (also people leaving their brand for the IPhone so this is probably zero sum gain.). Then you have those like me who are hybrids. I recognize the failings of the iPhone but still have one as well as a Nokia to fill in most of the gaps the iPhone leaves open.
post #52 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

The one thing that the rest of the Appleistas here fail to realize is that Nokia is not going away. EVER. They will still sell their phones and still be the #1 seller in the biz. Apple will continue to be #2. .

Again it all depends on what you mean by being No.1.

If you mean by profit, Apple will surpass them and then some.
If you mean by sheer number of phones sold, well thats a tough one to call, but I would not be surprised if Apple surpassed them on that front either.

I'm not a gambler (except with shares, but thats not gambling, it's merely deciphering the inevitable ) but I"m willing to put a sportsman's bet on Apple coming true on either of the above (or both) within 1 to 3 years.

Forgive me for being presumptuous but you sound like a european who has a patriotic association with Nokia, Nokia culture is as bad for it's 'blind faith' as Apple, many are proud of their pioneering work within the mobile tech industry, and the thought of a US company walking in and stealing the thunder at the last moment is infuriating , yet inevitable I'm afraid.
post #53 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Again it all depends on what you mean by being No.1.

If you mean by profit, Apple will surpass them and then some.
If you mean by sheer number of phones sold, well thats a tough one to call, but I would not be surprised if Apple surpassed them on that front either.

I'm not a gambler (except with shares, but thats not gambling, it's merely deciphering the inevitable ) but I"m willing to put a sportsman's bet on Apple coming true on either of the above (or both) within 1 to 3 years.

Forgive me for being presumptuous but you sound like a european who has a patriotic association with Nokia, Nokia culture is as bad for it's 'blind faith' as Apple, many are proud of their pioneering work within the mobile tech industry, and the thought of a US company walking in and stealing the thunder at the last moment is infuriating , yet inevitable I'm afraid.

Wrong on the second part. I am an American that works for an American company that is lucky enough to live and work around the world which gives me insight into many different cultures and prospectives. I do know the Nokia story how they went from nothing and I mean literally nothing and came out on top. So much so, L.M. Ericsson almost bought them. The assumption this forum that many, many make is that Nokia will simply stop competing because the iPhone is just that great. Well it isn't. I have one and its flaws are glaring. Nokia's have flaws as well, but the difference is, I have the common sense to see both sides. Apple will sell a boat load of phones will Nokia will sell a ship load. Apple will not surpass Nokia any time soon. Nokia sells more phones in a month than Apple in six. It ain't gonna happen that Apple will surpass Nokia any time soon. Nor will Nokia drive Apple back into the dark times. I see that there is plenty of market available for everyone to exist while many here are so swollen by drinking Jobs' kool-aid that they can't see their toes. So in my opinion, your entire post is wrong, and by all means you are forgiven as long as you are a Liverpool fan.
post #54 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Wrong on the second part. I am an American that works for an American company that is lucky enough to live and work around the world which gives me insight into many different cultures and prospectives. I do know the Nokia story how they went from nothing and I mean literally nothing and came out on top. So much so, L.M. Ericsson almost bought them. The assumption this forum that many, many make is that Nokia will simply stop competing because the iPhone is just that great. Well it isn't. I have one and its flaws are glaring. Nokia's have flaws as well, but the difference is, I have the common sense to see both sides. Apple will sell a boat load of phones will Nokia will sell a ship load. Apple will not surpass Nokia any time soon. Nokia sells more phones in a month than Apple in six. It ain't gonna happen that Apple will surpass Nokia any time soon. Nor will Nokia drive Apple back into the dark times. I see that there is plenty of market available for everyone to exist while many here are so swollen by drinking Jobs' kool-aid that they can't see their toes. So in my opinion, your entire post is wrong, and by all means you are forgiven as long as you are a Liverpool fan.

I'm too modest to explain why I'm right and your wrong. But I guarantee you will be joining my 'told you so' list.

And no I hate football
post #55 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I'm too modest to explain why I'm right and your wrong. But I guarantee you will be joining my 'told you so' list.

And no I hate football

HATE FOOTIE !!!!!!!! Says it ain't so.

We will have to agree to disagree. Nokia will still lead Apple and the world in terms of being the #1 mobile phone seller. Don't forget, they have not released their TS phone yet, but the reviews for it have been very positive and many, many people have been waiting for this over the iPhone. Considering it is unlocked, comes with all the music you can eat, has real VoIP (not just over wifi), and is a real telephone, I will bet you that Apple changes their game to keep up with Nokia sales. Right now, the N85 which was just released is selling quite well, if you can find one.

No my friend, Nokia is not going anywhere, and neither is Apple. They will both co-exist.
post #56 of 131
Slightly off-topic but...
I played with the G1 yesterday.

It seemed less polished than the iPhone, but for a first-generation product it was slicker and more usable than any Symbian or Windows Mobile device I have ever seen.

If I were Nokia, I'd dump Symbian and put all my chips on Android.

C.
post #57 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

If I were Nokia, I'd dump Symbian and put all my chips on Android.

C.

And give control of the services layer to Google? That doesn't sound like a winning strategy from a Nokia perspective.

Handing over control of your software platform is great if you're an also-ran. It'll save you a lot of money in the short term and you don't need to build up any maturity in software development yourself. Motorola has probably chosen the right option (for once) but leaders like Nokia would be silly to do the same.
post #58 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Handing over control of your software platform is great if you're an also-ran. It'll save you a lot of money in the short term and you don't need to build up any maturity in software development yourself. Motorola has probably chosen the right option (for once) but leaders like Nokia would be silly to do the same.

Both Windows Mobile and Symbian are old and outdated platforms. They are not well-liked by software developers. Progress seems to have slowed to a crawl. Apple and Google are moving so fast, Nokia looks like it is going backwards.

Nokia tying their fortune to Symbian is like a swimmer tying himself to an anchor.

C.
post #59 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Both Windows Mobile and Symbian are old and outdated platforms. They are not well-liked by software developers. Progress seems to have slowed to a crawl. Apple and Google are moving so fast, Nokia looks like it is going backwards.

Nokia tying their fortune to Symbian is like a swimmer tying himself to an anchor.

C.


Maybe you have heard of the words: Open Source. Symbian = Open Source.
post #60 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Maybe you have heard of the words: Open Source. Symbian = Open Source.

Symbian = Lead Balloon

C.
post #61 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Symbian = Lead Balloon

C.

Like Maemo right. Nokia will be fine and remain number one while Apple will remain #2.
post #62 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Like Maemo right. Nokia will be fine and remain number one while Apple will remain #2.

Nokia is so huge, it will be a while before anyone can over-take it.

But after using a G1 for ten minutes, I struggle to think of a single reason why a customer might select a Symbian device over an Android device or the iPhone.

My guess is that we will see a Nokia Android phone within a year.

C.
post #63 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueces View Post

Well I live in the US. I have had Sprint, Verizon, and Nextel the last 9 years. I have had well over 60 different cell phones personally and am generally considered a cell phone expert by people who know me. I can and have disassembled thousands of cell phones. From 2001-2003 I ran a service where people sent me their cell phones and I modded them, which made me about $20,000 a year in my spare time,

I have never had GSM service (ATT/Tmobile) cause frankly the call quality is horrible and the data network is worse than a 3rd world countries network.

While I have never had ATT/Tmobile, obviously I have known people who have and out of all of them, and out of all random people I have observed on the street, I have not seen a Nokia phone with my own eyes in the last 5 years.

Dear Dueces, The fact that you have only used phones that do not support the GSM standard explains why you know so little. Your "3rd world country" comment cracks me up as many so called 3rd world countries actually have quite advanced mobile phone networks, because they are much quicker and cheaper to install than a landline infrastructure.

I am guessing you belong to a small elite in the US who claim to know about foreign countries because they can see them from their front porch (or maybe on TV)? Of course, if you haven't travelled outside of the US you wouldn't know that your precious Sprint/Verizon/Nextel phones are worthless in Europe.

Oh, and: My wife and I have been t-mobile customers for many years. She is currently using her fourth Nokia phone (we just ordered an LG for her). For me only at&t and t-mobile are viable providers in the US, as I don't want to get a loaner phone every time I go to Europe.

Just for fun: My phone market predictions: Verizon will drive Sprint/Nextel out of business or merge and just leave one CDMA provider in the US. Nokia will lose market share with the Koreans, Taiwanese, and Japanese manufacturers gaining market share. Apple will continue to gain market share. Sony-Ericsson will continue to lose market share.
post #64 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Nokia is so huge, it will be a while before anyone can over-take it.

But after using a G1 for ten minutes, I struggle to think of a single reason why a customer might select a Symbian device over an Android device or the iPhone.

My guess is that we will see a Nokia Android phone within a year.

C.

You might have a point but then again, you might see something quite interesting from Nokia VERY soon and it's not the Tube or 5800 Music express. I'm just saying.
post #65 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Grow in what way. You act as is Nokia employees simply come to work everyday and wait to go home. That is the most ridiculous statement I have heard on this forum to date and believe me there have been plenty. Nokia will continue to do what their core biz is: make phones and cellular network infrastructure, and with that, they will continue GROW...... Apple sells one phone, and does this pretty well.

The one thing that the rest of the Appleistas here fail to realize is that Nokia is not going away. EVER. They will still sell their phones and still be the #1 seller in the biz. Apple will continue to be #2. This can be attributed simply to the fact that not everyone wants an iPhone. There are for sure more people that want Nokia's than those that an iPhone. Not to mention those that have had iPhones and went back to their brand (also people leaving their brand for the IPhone so this is probably zero sum gain.). Then you have those like me who are hybrids. I recognize the failings of the iPhone but still have one as well as a Nokia to fill in most of the gaps the iPhone leaves open.

Never really was arguing with that just expressing my opinion as a business owner and that was Apple's upside is far greater than Nokia's. Just as Apple has tremendous growing room to Microsoft's market leading 90%ish. I personally would rather work for Apple or any company in that current situation in the mobile space because it must be exciting just as it was with Nokia coming from nothing to world leader. Just my opinion though and I don't think Nokia will disappear as they will probably be more Apple like (as actually innovating) than your RIMs, Moto, etc.
post #66 of 131
Quote:
But after using a G1 for ten minutes, I struggle to think of a single reason why a customer might select a Symbian device over an Android device or the iPhone.

I think because a lot of people want features that the iPhone and G1 don't offer. I want a device to have a standard number keypad and not be very wide, which rules out both options completely. I think this is where Android will have a huge advantage as it will find itself in all sorts of different devices with different screen and keypad layouts, shapes and sizes. I'm looking forward to see what other manufacturers do with Android.
post #67 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

My guess is that we will see a Nokia Android phone within a year.

I doubt it, considering what Nokia has already publicly stated about the direction they are going in, Android isn't in the picture.
post #68 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I doubt it, considering what Nokia has already publicly stated about the direction they are going in, Android isn't in the picture.

That's brave, but it's not very rational.

If the market recognizes Android to be a superior platform to Symbian and WinMo, what benefit would there be throwing more money into Symbian?

C.
post #69 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

That's brave, but it's not very rational.

If the market recognizes Android to be a superior platform to Symbian and WinMo, what benefit would there be throwing more money into Symbian?

C.

It's irrational to compare a future concept of the currently incomplete and lackluster Android with the entrenched and well used Symbian platform of today. All evidence points to Nokia spending more time and money to redesign Symbian, than Android is geting from Google and open source devs. This year alone Nokia has openly admitted they are need to revamp and rethink their SW, they bought Symbian and Qt, and are working with Mozilla to port FF3 over. Counting Nokia out of the running now would be a grave error.

PS: With mobile OS X, Android, and Blackberry platforms all adopting WebKit, and with nothing preventing Nokia from also adopting it, Mozilla needs Nokia a lot more than Nokia needs Mozilla who are now woefully behind in the mobile browser market. I assume because of the greater desperation on Mozilla's part, that Nokia probably got an exclusivity for a set duration on mobile FF3 after the Qt porting. (speculation)
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #70 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's irrational to compare a future concept of the currently incomplete and lackluster Android with the entrenched and well use Symboan platform of today. All evidence points to Nokia spending more time and money to redesign Symbian, than Android is geting from Google and open source devs. This year alone Nokia has openly admitted they are need to revamp and rethink their SW, they bought Symbian and Qt, and are working with Mozilla to port FF3 over. Counting Nokia out of the running now would be grave error.

The fact that Symbian will be open source is a draw to developers that want to develop for the platform but did not want to purchase all the tools. Once Apple can start matching Nokia daily sales, I will become worried. Till then Apple is just another hardware vender that makes phones. Not that the iPhone is terrible, it is just not great, especially for those of use that are used to a more full featured phone. If the iPhone was marketed as an iPod with phone, no one could complain but as Apple is intent on marketing it as a phone, it will always fall sure of the more established phones until Apple closes the gap.
post #71 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

That's brave, but it's not very rational.

If the market recognizes Android to be a superior platform to Symbian and WinMo, what benefit would there be throwing more money into Symbian?

C.

And you mention the major word, if.

In Symbians main markets, Windows Mobile is next to none existent, and Android doesn't exist at all.

If Android is going to be that great, why did Apple waste their money writing the iPhone OS, they could have used that as well.

Nokia wants control over what they are doing, writing their own software is the best way of doing that.
post #72 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

And you mention the major word, if.

In Symbians main markets, Windows Mobile is next to none existent, and Android doesn't exist at all.

If Android is going to be that great, why did Apple waste their money writing the iPhone OS, they could have used that as well.

Nokia wants control over what they are doing, writing their own software is the best way of doing that.


True, but also that Symbian will be Open Source which will increase the developer ranks.
post #73 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

If Android is going to be that great, why did Apple waste their money writing the iPhone OS, they could have used that as well.

Android is some way behind OS X in terms of software technology. Perhaps as much as 2-3 years.

Android apps are (mainly) running as Java Bytecode. OS X runs native code.
And there is no mobile software development environments that can come close to Cocoa in terms of speed of development.

But the first-generation Android phone is still impressive. Dramatically more so than current WinMo and Symbian devices.

Nokia's market share suggests they are well ahead of a some newbie like Android. But technically they are years behind.

If you want to catch up with Apple and Android, the wrong place to start is with Symbian. For lots and lots of reasons. The only question is; How long will Nokia be prepared to wait, before they figure this out?

C.
post #74 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

If you want to catch up with Apple and Android, the wrong place to start is with Symbian. For lots and lots of reasons. The only question is; How long will Nokia be prepared to wait, before they figure this out?

Maybe you should read some non-apple centric sites, Nokia has already listed details of their future direction (and I'm not referring to the open source Sybmian stuff)
post #75 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Android is some way behind OS X in terms of software technology. Perhaps as much as 2-3 years.

Android apps are (mainly) running as Java Bytecode. OS X runs native code.
And there is no mobile software development environments that can come close to Cocoa in terms of speed of development.

But the first-generation Android phone is still impressive. Dramatically more so than current WinMo and Symbian devices.

Nokia's market share suggests they are well ahead of a some newbie like Android. But technically they are years behind.

If you want to catch up with Apple and Android, the wrong place to start is with Symbian. For lots and lots of reasons. The only question is; How long will Nokia be prepared to wait, before they figure this out?

C.

I think Nokia as a multi-million pound company is going to have a lot more figured out than you are. I find it rather amusing that you think you know better than they do!
post #76 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Maybe you should read some non-apple centric sites, Nokia has already listed details of their future direction (and I'm not referring to the open source Sybmian stuff)

Just found the stuff on OMAP3.

Adopting a Linux core is a much smarter move than trying to resuscitate Symbian with a bit of open souce voltage.

It puts them back in the race, but there's a lot of lost ground to catch up.

C.
post #77 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I think Nokia as a multi-million pound company is going to have a lot more figured out than you are. I find it rather amusing that you think you know better than they do!



C.
post #78 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post



C.

And that seals the deal!
post #79 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

And that seals the deal!

What I find funny is how the Appleistas forget that Apple was one Microsoft investment away from the toilet. They were circling the drain for years and Microsoft came in and put in the plug. Funny how times change and memories go blank.

Fact is, Nokia is ramping up to compete with Apple. This alone should be news enough that they are not throwing in the towel. Nokia has not released their TS phone yet but the reviews point to it being a best seller as is the just released N85.

It is a sad commentary on Apple followers that they are so far into fantasy land that they have lost touch with reality.
post #80 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericposts View Post

Fact is, Nokia is ramping up to compete with Apple.

Nokia, the market leader, is ramping up to compete with a company that entered the Mobile market last year. That's a mighty impressive statement.

Fact is, the mobile market is in a phase of transition. It's moving from a market that is all about hardware, to being all about software. And transitions bring change.

Nokia has led this market for a few years. It's made some money. But it has failed to invest in software. Symbian is a dead horse. Thanks to that lack of focus, all that Nokia has is a nascent linux OS and a necrotic mobile OS despised by developers.

Markets like this have no loyalty. Consumers upgrade phones every 18 months. If something better comes along, the entire market-share can vanish in a couple of years. Can anyone remember a company called Palm?

Nokia have no one to blame but themselves. They could have invested in a linux core 3 or 4 years ago. They could have been there before Google or Apple. It's a bit late to start now.

They may be the biggest mobile vendor, but in terms of software, they are Finnish.

C.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone tops business rankings, steals Nokia market share