or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued over hairline cracks in iPhone 3G casings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple sued over hairline cracks in iPhone 3G casings - Page 2

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by numale View Post

My form over function problem is with battery life. I would GLADLY buy a thicker 3G iphone with a longer battery life. I can drain the 3G iphone in less than one hour using the GPS navigation from a full charge. I charge my phone multiple times each day. If you just talk and text then it's fine, but the 3G and/or GPS use is a real drainer. Or even give us an option of swapping out the battery.

I'm a PC user who is strongly considering the new MAC because I want to run my IBM T221 off a 13 inch computer (the macbook air...the new one with dual-link). I'm still waiting on my $99 dual-link adapter to see if it'll run 3840x2400 resolution. I'm hoping that it does and hoping to switch over to MAC because I hate VISTA. I have several PCs and ever since the SP3 updates I have been forced to upgrade my IBMs as that update messes up my components. Anyway, my point is I am VERY annoyed with macbook air for following the same path of the iphone, i.e. not allowing to swap out batteries. Very few coffee shops and bookstores in Manhattan allow you to use power supplies. Thus I am considering the MacBook. I would buy the MacBook 15.4" in a heartbeat if they offered WUXGA screen but instead apple is stupidly following the 100ppi or less rule. So my only reason to buy a Mac is for the slim factor of the AIR. Otherwise, I might as well buy a PC and install Leopard...but that would be if a small PC actually was dual-link capable which 99.99999 percent are single-link thus Apple is God in the portable dual-link world.

I will bet you will the same/worse battery life if you use GPS in another other cell phone.

The point is, iPhone is the first phone which people constantly use for other things (Wifi, GPS, 3G web browsing). People use the other phones for phone calls (and maybe emails) only.

You don't even need to use GPS to drain the battery. Build a webpage yourself. Make it refresh itself constantly. View it in Safari. You will be out of battery in 40 minutes.

But, if you use any other phone, you will be out of battery in 40 minutes too.
post #42 of 70
This is just some cheap scam to get rich quickly. Boo!
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
Apple is a hardware company, dont believe me? Read this Article!. For those who understand my message, help me spread this info to those who dont get it.
Reply
post #43 of 70
Hell, I never thought of it, but I should be suing Motorola - has the face of my Razor is cracked and 2 small pieces of the front glass have even falling off piece of shit!

Hey, I only put the phone in my pocket WITH my change, keys, and anything else I can fit into my pocket at the time no reason for it to get scratched because of that, is there?

And those small pieces of glass jesus, my kids or grandchildren could choke on those pieces - IF I could find them. And if they didn't fall out of my pocket until my pants went into my washing machine damn it, that must be why my washing machine broke down. And I never thought of it, but I cut my finger on the open piece of glass, that's got to be worth something!

Oh, just get a new phone you say. What a novel idea? But should I have to? I mean they say it's one of the best built phones - so shouldn't it last longer then 3-4 years without any damage?

That also explains why that young lady, ripped her hand out of my pocket awhile back. I thought she got scared or was bite by my friend, when in fact, she most likely caught her finger on the edge of the glass damn phone, I had to finish that job by myself - that's got to be worth something

Question, if these phones are getting cracks after a short period of time, then some must be sold with cracks, as a short period of time has passed since they were made and before it was purchased?

Skip
post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by numale View Post

My form over function problem is with battery life. I would GLADLY buy a thicker 3G iphone with a longer battery life. I can drain the 3G iphone in less than one hour using the GPS navigation from a full charge. I charge my phone multiple times each day. If you just talk and text then it's fine, but the 3G and/or GPS use is a real drainer. Or even give us an option of swapping out the battery.

while it would be great to swap out batteries... you need to have your phone checked out, or stop running the screen on full brightness. Ive used GPS for navigation before for a few hours and didn't even drain half my battery... less than an hour? ouch, sounds like you might have a bad battery or something.
post #45 of 70
Remember that the white Macbooks also suffer from the same hairline cracks! Apparantly Apple doesn't really give a sh*t and just continues using the same cheap material.
In my opinion it's good to show Apple that this is unacceptable.
post #46 of 70
Suing because of a crack? You guys are on crack!
post #47 of 70
Apple used to be renowned for build quality but this is very bad. I thought these were just occuring when it was first released meaning it could have been a production line issue. And for any muppet who is singing the "phones are meant to get blemishes" well yes if you only have the phone with no case ever then yes you can expect that with all phones. But if you are using a proper case and still find wear and tear then there is a problem.

Luckily mine has been fine so far.
post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeystation View Post

Remember that the white Macbooks also suffer from the same hairline cracks! Apparantly Apple doesn't really give a sh*t and just continues using the same cheap material.
In my opinion it's good to show Apple that this is unacceptable.

Didn't apple change to new material?
post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

while it would be great to swap out batteries... you need to have your phone checked out, or stop running the screen on full brightness. Ive used GPS for navigation before for a few hours and didn't even drain half my battery... less than an hour? ouch, sounds like you might have a bad battery or something.

It depends on the application.

Apple specifically advises developers to turn off the GPS when they get the location. However, Apple cannot control what developers do.

If the GPS updates the location continuously, then the iPhone will run down the battery in 40 minutes.

A well written app, whether using Wifi or GPS, would have little impact on the battery life. Apple needs a rating system in App Store on battery usage.
post #50 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

It depends on the application.

Apple specifically advises developers to turn off the GPS when they get the location. However, Apple cannot control what developers do.

If the GPS updates the location continuously, then the iPhone will run down the battery in 40 minutes.

The problem is that many application can't do that, because they're supposed to keep updating the position. How is a software like TomTom or Route66 supposed to work if it's asked to shut down the GPS after a single location? Maybe that's why Apple is banning this kind of application from the SDK terms of use...

Anyway, I don't think the GPS is the problem. I have a standalone bluetooth GPS. It operates on an Nokia 3210 battery - not really high capacity. Yet, the device can stay on for days without problems...
The battery drain when using GPS aware applications does not come from the GPS chip. Or that cheap has some very serious issues with power management. The drain most probably comes from using the CPU and downloading maps off the 3G network... Another reason why we *really* need a GPS like TomTom that uses stored maps (that and the fact that using the default Google Map GPS will cost you thousands of $ if you use it abroad).
post #51 of 70
Anyone notice this particular plaintiff has a slight history with lawsuits? He allegedly scammed his partner.

http://tinyurl.com/5925yt
post #52 of 70
Regardless of where you stand on whether this should rise to the level of a class action, it is pretty verifiable that there is a manufacturing defect with many of the cases of iPhones. I had a crack appear almost immediately, and the phone was replaced. There are lots of stories where there has been a refusal to replace the phone. That's the part that needs to change.

Manufacturing defects occur. It's a fact of life. The issue is when the company attempts to reduce their losses by refusing to repair the defect. It's basic consumer product law.

For those who would attribute a hairline crack that is the result of a manufacturing defect as a minor issue that doesn't rise to the level of requiring a repair / replacement, you are just out of touch with the law on that one.
post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimzip View Post

WRONG.

If the unit was truly defective, I'd be on this guys side... the fact is that he's suing because of cosmetic damage that in no way relates to performance, danger or functionality.

I really don't understand this position. Maybe I would agree if the looks of the device wasn't a significant factor in Apple designs, but it is. I would consider a cosmetic crack to be a defect. If I saw a flaw like that in any brand product, I generally would return it. Your position makes it sound like you would accept it if Apple sold you scratch & dent merchandise. Or at least belittle others complaining that were sold scratch and dent merchandise, because scratches and dents don't relate to performance, danger or functionality.

That said, other circumstances of the lawsuit are dubious.
post #54 of 70
Somehow I would be willing to bet that the original poster of the comment would disagree if she/he had just purchased a new car that had the paint start peeling off. The "relates to performance, danger or functionality" is not at all a test of whether manufacturing defects are allowed for consumer products. It is just a made up phrase that has nothing to do with the actual legal standard.
post #55 of 70
Hey I totally support you man and IS there a way I COULD GET IN TOUCH with YOUR ATTORNEY handling this case cause I have some unfinished complaints to TAKE UP WITH APPLE iPhone myself and really had not thought of this route. I feel you all the way and ready to back or support you with enough info to shake some ground... Apple iPhone and At&t has really GOUGED their rate plans for this thing. They are also the MOST IGNORANT GROUP of AFFILIATES this side of the planet. I wish I could leave my contact info on here. I think I'm going to contact some attorney on monday morning my self. I have tried several times to get in touch with APPLE iPhone with corporates and WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED if this GUY CLAIMING THE LAWSUIT MAY VERY WELL BE from APPLE iPhone too. I would not put it past Apple iPhone to come up with something of this nature just so that everyone else upset with this issue would not be able to attack on a later date.
A P P L E iPhone is E X T R E M E L Y I G N O R A N T... TELL ME OF YOUR ATTORNEY on this CASE I HAVE O N E CASE TOO
post #56 of 70
I took great care of my black 3G and never dropped it but it cracked up the back. They did quickly replace it no questions asked. I was impressed by this, but at the same time I am really worried.

Out of curiosity I asked what could be done to prevent this. They told me to make sure to use a case. This is poor reasoning; they assume that we should use cases because of their defect?

Because they have made no effort to correct this issue, I am basically screwed when my year is up. This is not the first issue Apple has had with their "plastics of choice. We have seen this before.

-MacBooks crack near the closure (right above the IR port and status light).

My wife's Macbook cracked, was fixed, then cracked again, same spot.

My sister's MacBook cracked, was fixed, then cracked again, same spot.

My sister in law's MacBook cracked, was fixed, then cracked again, same spot.

-MacBook / Pro power chargers crack near the removable plug adapter area.
post #57 of 70
God save us from these assholes.
I got nothin'.
Reply
I got nothin'.
Reply
post #58 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamalicious View Post

This isn't a case of people abusing their phones. I have a black 8 gig and within 2 weeks of purchasing it it had over 20 cracks in the case. Only one is particularly noticeable - without it I probably wouldn't have found the others. AT&T refused to replace the unit because they didn't have one in stock within the first 30 days of my purchase, but they did acknowledge that it was "defective".

I opened a case with Apple Support over the phone. They said they would replace it, but I have to take it to an Apple store (several hours drive for me) or send it in and not have it for at least a week. I could get a "service phone" for $29 to use in the interim or pay $69 for Apple care and they would do the "service phone" for free.

I think this is unacceptable - asking me to pay or be inconvenienced to replace a product with manufacturing defects. Can you imagine if they charged you to replace the recently recalled iPhone power adaptor plug?

I understand why they don't want to make a big fuss about it, but they aren't really doing right by their customers who can't just pop over to the local Apple store whenever they feel like it.

People like this is the reason having a customer service job absolutely sucks. It isn't so much that the customer service is "Unacceptable" as much as the customer is just unreasonable. Seriously, is it Apple's fault you live "several hours" away from an Apple Store? If they were to locate an Apple Store next to every Starbucks would that be better for you? Of course look what that has gotten Starbucks; struggling because they have too many locations. So buy the AppleCare for goodness sake, AppleCare is the ONLY extended warranty out there that will repair a unit beyond the cost of the actual product. You will get the interim phone at no additional charge AND an extra year of protection (Including the battery). I can't figure out why I would not be able to do without a cell phone for a week. Looks like people need to simplify their lives a bit, if you are chained to your phone perhaps you should have considered getting a phone with a "convienient" repair plan, did you not know you lived several hours from an Apple Store at the time of purchase? If they are offering to let you FedEx it in that sounds a lot better than anyone else out there? And considering I've never waited more than 3 days for ANY notebook repair to come back from Apple, I'm pretty confident it would be MORE inconvienient for you to even deal with the "service phone" anyway. It isn't like they can just send it to you through the Phone line, so, Yes, you ARE going to have to get off your butt and take some initiative in order for your phone to be replaced (I mean they are willing to replace your phone for you pretty much no questions asked, maybe if you ask nice enough the guy on "I'm a Mac" commercials can deliver it to your house yesterday.)
post #59 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

The problem with Apple is they are now choosing Form over Function to the extreme. Jonathan Ive is to powerful, the glass is a bad idea, it cracks and reflex to much, the plastic is not strong and cracks, the new laptops are also garbage all in the name if FORM. The trackpad is a pain in the ass, the glass screen is ugly, glares and attracts fingerprints all in the name of design. I used to Love Apple's design because it also functioned just as well, now I could see it's all about the form engorging users real world needs.



Do you seriously think for a second Apple would sell a lot of "Ugly but functional" devices?

post #60 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I can't figure out why I would not be able to do without a cell phone for a week. Looks like people need to simplify their lives a bit, if you are chained to your phone perhaps you should have considered getting a phone with a "convienient" repair plan, did you not know you lived several hours from an Apple Store at the time of purchase?

I think questioning someone's needs or lifestyles without knowing the particulars is a dubious argument, may as well call it a strawman argument.
post #61 of 70
If Apple know about this defect and aren't doing anything about it then they deserved to be sued.

However, if they know about the problem and are actively trying to remedy it (replacement units is not a long term solution) then I hope this lawsuit gets thrown out very quickly.

People say it's only cosmetic damage but aesthetics is one of the main results that people buy Apple products. How many iPods would Apple sell if they all came pre-scratched?
post #62 of 70
from the inquirer...
FRUIT-THEMED toymaker Apple is in hot water for shipping iphones with hairline cracks in the casing.
The latest court case against the Cupertino outfit says that, not only did Jobs' Mob ship shonky phones with 3G reception that cut out, they also came with hairline cracks that ultimately would lead to the death of the phone.
New Yorker Avi Koschitzki said that that many of the hairline cracks are visible on unopened, unused iPhones.
He claims that Apple willingly and knowingly sold iPhones with the unsightly lines. Of course the cracks in the casing would not be just a cosmetic problem, even if most of Apple's marketing is geared to producing something that looks nice. Cracked casings will ultimately allow moisture into the toy and cause it to go bang, much like my old Apple II did.
If Koschitzki proves his case, it will be the second major build quality issue to hit the Iphone. The other was installing a cheap 3G chipset that had known reception problems in Europe.
"Although Apple was and is aware that the handsets were and are defective, and that consumers have experienced repeated instances of cracked housings, Apple has nevertheless allowed the defectively designed Iphones to be sold to the public," the complaint says.
The 23-page suit, which has been filed in a New York district court by Nassau County resident Avi Koschitzki, also claims that Apple misrepresented the performance of the touchscreen handset by advertising it as "twice as fast" as its predecessor.
Of course we don't think it will damage sales at all. Apple fanboys would buy dog poo if it had an Apple logo on it and Steve Jobs told them it was wonderful. ยต
post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Do you seriously think for a second Apple would sell a lot of "Ugly but functional" devices?


well their sales seem to have increased since the Q/C has gone down. More and more of what apple do nowadays look good, but don't do much.
post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I just noticed that the jack itself in the 'Headphone Port' photo actually looks warped/bent, as if the owner caught his cord on something and the pressure tore at the plug, bending the metal and cracking the case. In any case, that one certainly doesn't look natural.

They all look like shots of a well used & abused iPhone. We have lots of iPhones in our offices & no one has any issues with the cracking.

My blackberry looks like crap cause I keep it in my pocket with my keys, maybe I should sue RIM.

Speaking of service, I have Verizon with my Blackberry & my data speeds aren't that spectacular either. My boss was able to browse the web faster on his old edge iPhone than I can on my Blackberry 8830 & my browser isn't downloading near the content his was. This guy needs a good whack upside the head, he is living in a dream world.
post #65 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

They all look like shots of a well used & abused iPhone.

Those shots showed up about a week after the introduction of the plastic backed model.

Even ignoring the cracks, the overall surface does not look like it wasn't even molded properly in the first place, plenty of of the surface flaws don't appear to be the kind that can be caused by abrasion or other kinds of use or abuse, but maybe plastic not filling the mold, contaminated material or or lots of release agents. I've seen similar occasional surface defects coming out of the plastic injection machine in middle school shop class.
post #66 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think questioning someone's needs or lifestyles without knowing the particulars is a dubious argument, may as well call it a strawman argument.

Not really, when that someone wants to complain about having to drive hours to get the unit repaired knowing full well at the time of purchase that they lived hours away from the nearest Apple Store, and it isn't like Apple did not offer the customer options, very reasonable options at that. They offer for people to take it to an Apple Store because to many that IS more convienient than shipping the unit, the only particulars I don't know is where exactly they bought it, from AT&T, from Best Buy, from the same Apple Store that is hours away or online. I knew when I purchased mine at an AT&T store that it I had hardware problems that I would have to deal with Apple for the repair. I knew that before making the purchase because I asked. This has always been the case with Apple products, it is actually the same with a lot of other people's products too.
post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Not really, when that someone wants to complain about having to drive hours to get the unit repaired knowing full well at the time of purchase that they lived hours away from the nearest Apple Store, and it isn't like Apple did not offer the customer options, very reasonable options at that. They offer for people to take it to an Apple Store because to many that IS more convienient than shipping the unit, the only particulars I don't know is where exactly they bought it, from AT&T, from Best Buy, from the same Apple Store that is hours away or online. I knew when I purchased mine at an AT&T store that it I had hardware problems that I would have to deal with Apple for the repair. I knew that before making the purchase because I asked. This has always been the case with Apple products, it is actually the same with a lot of other people's products too.

You didn't respond to what I was talking about. See the part I quoted in my previous post for a clue.
post #68 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You didn't respond to what I was talking about. See the part I quoted in my previous post for a clue.

I simply stated that people need to take a look at their needs and find something that meets their needs. If the iPhone does that great, but you need to also take into account that if the service does not meet your needs, perhaps the device as a whole really doesn't suit you. In this case Apple does NOT hide their service policies from the consumer.
post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I simply stated that people need to take a look at their needs and find something that meets their needs. If the iPhone does that great, but you need to also take into account that if the service does not meet your needs, perhaps the device as a whole really doesn't suit you. In this case Apple does NOT hide their service policies from the consumer.

You told that person that they need to simplify their lives - which was the biggest issue I had with the first post that I replied to. Whether or not it's true, it's not really your business.
post #70 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Apple used to be renowned for build quality but this is very bad. I thought these were just occuring when it was first released meaning it could have been a production line issue. And for any muppet who is singing the "phones are meant to get blemishes" well yes if you only have the phone with no case ever then yes you can expect that with all phones. But if you are using a proper case and still find wear and tear then there is a problem.

Luckily mine has been fine so far.

Five years ago I had a iBook that developed cracks around the edges. So I would say these thing have happened in the past.

This doesn't seem to be a wide spread problem and may only effect a few defective phones. I think the internet will parse so much over any Apple news even the small amount of defective products gets blown up bigger. Everyone in the electronics business produces some amount of defective product.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple sued over hairline cracks in iPhone 3G casings