or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › HRC As Sec State

HRC As Sec State

post #1 of 47
So the rumor is that Obama has offered HRC the Sec State position. Any thoughts? Personally, I find it odd that she'd even consider taking such a position (unless, perhaps, she wants to occupy all major positions of government or something before she's 80).

Honestly, I think I might rather see BC as Sec State....
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 47
You'd rather BHO pick BC than BR or HRC after 8 years of CP and GR under GWB? IDK, but ICBW, IMO, so IYSS, IYKWIM.
post #3 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant View Post

You'd rather BHO pick BC than BR or HRC after 8 years of CP and CR under GWB? IDK, but ICBW, IMO, so IYSS, IYKWIM.

I hadn't realized that BR was in the offing. I like him for the spot more than I like her, and it makes more sense for him than it does for her (she would be giving up a lifetime seat in the Senate).

As for BC, I think that as much of a loose cannon as he would undoubtedly be in the position of Sec State, he comes with an enormous amount of gravitas which, I suspect, would outweigh the political baggage (e.g. extraordinary rendition beginning in his admin) he would bring to the table.

I'm still pushing for Krugman for Sec Treas.
post #4 of 47
I remember some time back some blurb speculating Hillary could get appointed to the Supreme Court, and I liked that idea.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #5 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I remember some time back some blurb speculating Hillary could get appointed to the Supreme Court, and I liked that idea.

I'm not sure I like that idea.
post #6 of 47
JK would pretty good at the job.
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

JK would pretty good at the job.

John King sucks!
post #8 of 47
Yeah, like Bob Costas is all that...
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #9 of 47
Considering NY was just a stepping stone for her we shouldn't be surprised that she wants to move on since she's not president elect.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
post #10 of 47
HC + BO - GB + (BC x ML) = HC x BO?
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #11 of 47
HC xox BO

bow chica bow wow
post #12 of 47
While the rest of you bullshit about the MSM's rumors and speculation, Obama is really choosing people...

Susan Crawford is put into place in charge of the FCC transition. A super strong, smart, advocate for utility-like internet and strong net neutrality.

The other person he picked, Werbach, is also about the best person one could possibly imagine to be leading a review of the FCC. The two of them together is utterly mind-blowingly good.

So let's talk about whom he really has chosen so far instead of this crap. \

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, I know she was offered the position, but hasn't agreed to it. But let's stay on the side of reality right now. My opinion? She wouldn't be right for the position. She may be good at other things, but evading snipers isn't her forte...
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

While the rest of you bullshit about the MSM's rumors and speculation, Obama is really choosing people...

Susan Crawford is put into place in charge of the FCC transition. A super strong, smart, advocate for utility-like internet and strong net neutrality.

The other person he picked, Werbach, is also about the best person one could possibly imagine to be leading a review of the FCC. The two of them together is utterly mind-blowingly good.

So let's talk about whom he really has chosen so far instead of this crap. \

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, I know she was offered the position, but hasn't agreed to it. But let's stay on the side of reality right now. My opinion? She wouldn't be right for the position. She may be good at other things, but evading snipers isn't her forte...

LOL. This is great news (as if we needed any more!)
post #14 of 47
I just don't know how to respond to such staggering displays of competence from a politician.
post #15 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I just don't know how to respond to such staggering displays of competence from a politician.

We've gone metaphorically from Windows to Apple! Bye, bye George Vista Bush!
post #16 of 47
Quote:

I believe Hitler showed early signs of competence.
post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I believe Hitler showed early signs of competence.

No Hitler was was always an incompetent fool, looking to dominate others because he thought he was more competent than everyone else!
post #18 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

No Hitler was was always an incompetent fool, looking to dominate others because he thought he was more competent than everyone else!

Exactly! And notice how Obama believes himself to be competent!

Sweet Jesus, they're practically indistinguishable. God have mercy on our souls.
post #19 of 47
Quote:

Exactly! And notice how Obama believes himself to be competent!

Sweet Jesus, they're practically indistinguishable. God have mercy on our souls.

LOL. Those repubs are yelling their safe word but only Pallin' won't stop!
post #20 of 47
Glad to see BO following the no CARB diet:

post #21 of 47
Considering Obama snatched up everyone else from clinton's white house why not his wife too?

Maybe he could even bring back .... naw I wont say it

Sorry to ruin your serious discussion @_@ Artman. Who do you like for under secretary for agriculture and human development?
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Sorry to ruin your serious discussion @_@ Artman. Who do you like for under secretary for agriculture and human development?

One can be grumpy sometimes, and since this forum has become glacial in the speed of discussion, who cares?

Anyway, those two departments are ones that I usually have know knowledge of, much less who would be qualified. Just as long as they aren't in the pocket with Monsanto, I can be comfortable with whom is chosen.

Tom Vilsack has been bandied about. Whoever he is. Orion Samuelson may be another (odd but) good choice.

Oh and another thing...

10 reasons why Hillary Clinton should not be Barack Obama’s Secretary of State

Quote:
1. A central appeal of Obama's candidacy was that his election would mark the end of the Bush-Clinton-Clinton-Bush-Bush years. Hillary Clinton in such a senior position, along with all the other Clinton retreads, blows that out of the water.

2. Bill Clinton would move, once again, to centre stage. Do you think Obama could control him?

3. Specifically, Bill Clinton's past and future business dealings abroad and donors to his Foundation could be a huge problem and potential source of scandal.

4. It would mean current senators taking the jobs of president, vice-president and Secretary of State - none of them with any executive experience.

5. Hillary Clinton proved herself a poor manager during her campaign. Managing the huge foreign policy bureaucracy is a much bigger task.

6. Would she be a team player? She campaigned extensively for Obama and cannot be criticised for not doing her duty in the general election. But it was her duty as a Democrat and it was in her own interests to do so. It doesn't mean she's suddenly lost all her doubts about Obama.

7. It would create a significant alterative focus of power within the administration but outside the White House - a dangerous combination.

8. No recent Secretary of State has been a realistic prospect for president.Clinton clearly (and understandably) still harbours presidential ambitions. Everything she does will calculated on her part with that possibility in mind.

9. There will be many former Clinton aides in senior positions in the Obama administration. The danger of dual loyalties is obvious.

10. Clinton herself made the argument - accepted by many primary voters - that Obama was not ready to be commander-in-chief but that she was prepared to answer that 3am phone call. Is there any evidence she's changed her mind? If she believes she knows best then the chances of her freelancing as Secretary of State become very real.
post #23 of 47
We saw what Hillary's foreign policy experience was during the primary. What she misremembered was more impressive than what she's done. Considering Barack is even more weak in this area he can't afford her in that position. Is she going to craft the "Obama Doctrine"?

Send her the UN. That way her and Bill can be together
post #24 of 47
Quote:

Maybe he could even bring back .... naw I wont say it

Who, Monica Lewinsky as the President's official cigar girl? Obama quit smoking, so that wouldn't work...
post #25 of 47
At lease poor old Ruth Bader Ginsburg can retire.
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Who, Monica Lewinsky as the President's official cigar girl? Obama quit smoking, so that wouldn't work...

Well, the official position of the campaign is that he quit smoking....
post #27 of 47
Quote:

Well, the official position of the campaign is that he quit smoking....

Now that he's safely through the election, I think he should smoke all the fucking time.

He can pull off that Mad Men 60's sangfroid thing, cool, elegant and a little scary.

I mean, picture it: "The state of the union is......... (long drag, slow exhale with chin tilted up and narrowed eyes)......interesting."

Or he could do his You Tube fireside chats with his sleeves rolled up, pacing and jabbing his cigarette at the camera to make points, from his presidential video bunker/lounge. Ashtrays overflowing, white boards with insanely complex diagrams of what he's planning to do.....

I think we should be afraid of our president, not because he might do something tragically stupid, but because he's sort of a Bond supervillain.
post #28 of 47
If he started smoking in public it might get the media to be mildly critical of him.
post #29 of 47
Quote:

Now that he's safely through the election, I think he should smoke all the fucking time.

He can pull off that Mad Men 60's sangfroid thing, cool, elegant and a little scary.

I mean, picture it: "The state of the union is......... (long drag, slow exhale with chin tilted up and narrowed eyes)......interesting."

Or he could do his You Tube fireside chats with his sleeves rolled up, pacing and jabbing his cigarette at the camera to make points, from his presidential video bunker/lounge. Ashtrays overflowing, white boards with insanely complex diagrams of what he's planning to do.....

I think we should be afraid of our president, not because he might do something tragically stupid, but because he's sort of a Bond supervillain.

He should also start wearing a turban.
post #30 of 47
Eek. Looks like a sure thing that HRC will be Obama's SoS.
post #31 of 47
Quote:

He should also start wearing a turban.

With a sapphire in the middle.
post #32 of 47
I love it. Were dredging up all the old Clinton scandals.

Obama's current AG pick Eric Holder vetted the Marc Rich pardon. To be fair to the guy he had stack of work on his desk for Clinton's last day. He says the Rich pardon was one small thing of many he had to do that day. Marc Rich is Clintons' (Hillary and Bill) crime not Holder's. But it's funny that Obama's Teh Change looks a whole lot like back to the future.
post #33 of 47
McCain for defense?
post #34 of 47
Quote:

McCain for defense?

[CENTER]

for McCain
[/CENTER]
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #35 of 47
Quote:

I love it. Were dredging up all the old Clinton scandals.

Obama's current AG pick Eric Holder vetted the Marc Rich pardon. To be fair to the guy he had stack of work on his desk for Clinton's last day. He says the Rich pardon was one small thing of many he had to do that day. Marc Rich is Clintons' (Hillary and Bill) crime not Holder's. But it's funny that Obama's Teh Change looks a whole lot like back to the future.

Only Freepers look at the pictures in the WSJ, because everyone knows that they can't read.
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Only Freepers look at the pictures in the WSJ, because everyone knows that they can't read.

The least you could do is come up with a name for people that read WSJ. You could call us Truther.
post #37 of 47
Quote:

The least you could do is come up with a name for people that read WSJ. You could call us Truther.

How about Murdochbots?

post #38 of 47
Great. And people that read the * Times can be "Tankers".
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

How about Murdochbots?

That's really said that Health/medicine has essentially disappeared from the WSJ. They really would have some good articles in that realm.
post #40 of 47
Quote:

Great. And people that read the * Times can be "Tankers".

Absolutely.

I'm a McClatchy reader myself. And that's online, not print. Also BBC, NPR, Al Jazeera English...OMG I'm a terrorist then!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › HRC As Sec State