or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Auto Industry Bailout

Auto Industry Bailout - Page 16

post #601 of 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I didn't want my money taken in the first place. Therefore, I will never buy a GM or Chrysler product ever again.

They should have been allowed to fail without bailouts or government intervention of any kind.

You are being selfish and ignorant!

GM and Chrysler going bankrupt will cost the economy more than the bailout ever did!

What was the government supposed to do? by the way you do understand that they are loans! and have to be paid back!!

if you want your money back buy a GM or Chrysler. GM in particular is building cars better than ever before! as a shareholder it is in your best interest for them to be profitable.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-...-lacrosse.html

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #602 of 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

GM and Chrysler going bankrupt will cost the economy more than the bailout ever did!

What was the government supposed to do? by the way you do understand that they are loans! and have to be paid back!!

if you want your money back buy a GM or Chrysler. GM in particular is building cars better than ever before! as a shareholder it is in your best interest for them to be profitable.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-...-lacrosse.html

GM and Chrysler have already gone bankrupt. This, in spite of the "bailouts".

I didn't want to become a "shareholder" in the first place. That is the reason for my boycott.

If you want your money back, spend more of it? Huh? Joe Biden? Is that you?

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #603 of 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

That isn't really accurate. I'm sure that GM gets a tax credit for foreign taxes paid, so it only pays US taxes on foreign sales for countries with lower tax rates than the US. Sales in Saudi Arabia -> US taxes, sales in the UK -> zero US taxes.

The corporation is still obligated to pay taxes based on US tax figures, and the credit only offsets against that. At 35%, US corporate taxes are some of the highest of the developed nations. Japanese corporate taxes are 30%, for instance.

US corporations pay more to the US in taxes, per dollar profit, than the majority of multinationals. GM owes US taxes on every dollar of profit it makes (no matter if they're offset or not), multinationals don't.

In global economic terms it's irrelevant, in terms of the US economy, it's highly relevant.
post #604 of 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

GM pays US taxes on every dollar it makes, no matter where it makes it. Honda pays US taxes on US sales.

No.
Same as Honda GM pays taxes in other countries as well.

A+ for ignorance!
post #605 of 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamac View Post

No.
Same as Honda GM pays taxes in other countries as well.

A+ for ignorance!

My assertion specifically targeted US taxes.

Spectacular fail in reading comprehension there, jamac.

Think about it - if GM sells a car in France, it pays US taxes on whatever profit it makes. Honda doesn't pay any US tax on a sale it makes in France.

"Buy American" - supporting US corporations - helps companies that provide the most US tax revenue in their respective markets.
post #606 of 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Let me see if I have this reasoning correct.

Basically, it's all just fine that I was forced to become a "shareholder" (well not really because I don't receive any dividends, I can't vote my "shares", I don't get to go to any shareholder meetings, I can't sell my "shares") in a company that I had no interested in owning shares in before, so that I can get insulted, brow-beaten and guilted into buying a car from a company I never wanted to buy a car from in the first place?

Nice.
post #607 of 616
Quote:

"Buy American" results in more US tax revenue.

So you're saying that if I don't want the federal government of the United States to get more income, I should avoid buying American?

Good. Thanks for the tip.
post #608 of 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

So you're saying that if I don't want the federal government of the United States to get more income, I should avoid buying American?

Good. Thanks for the tip.

Did it really take my post for you to figure that out?
post #609 of 616
Quote:

My assertion specifically targeted US taxes.

Spectacular fail in reading comprehension there, jamac.

Think about it - if GM sells a car in France, it pays US taxes on whatever profit it makes. Honda doesn't pay any US tax on a sale it makes in France.

"Buy American" - supporting US corporations - helps companies that provide the most US tax revenue in their respective markets.

GM used to own Saab, Jaguar, Vauxhall, Opel and more.
These cars were manufactured in the according countries and sold there as well. The workers were paid there and corporate taxes as well. Since they were not making any profit for decades, GM paid most likely less taxes in the US than you did.

A++ for absolute ignorance.

Buy American only results in sales tax since all the big US manufacturers are not making any profit. You pay the same sales tax on any other product from any other country.
post #610 of 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

GM and Chrysler have already gone bankrupt. This, in spite of the "bailouts".

I didn't want to become a "shareholder" in the first place. That is the reason for my boycott.

If you want your money back, spend more of it? Huh? Joe Biden? Is that you?

Chapter 7 vs Chapter 11!

The bailout prevented going thru Chapter 7 and has now brought a more nimble company that is capable of paying back the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by involuntary_serf View Post

Let me see if I have this reasoning correct.

Basically, it's all just fine that I was forced to become a "shareholder" (well not really because I don't receive any dividends, I can't vote my "shares", I don't get to go to any shareholder meetings, I can't sell my "shares") in a company that I had no interested in owning shares in before, so that I can get insulted, brow-beaten and guilted into buying a car from a company I never wanted to buy a car from in the first place?

Nice.

I'm sure they have something you like, don't worry

And who voted the politicians in? you did!

post #611 of 616
Quote:

GM used to own Saab, Jaguar, Vauxhall, Opel and more.
These cars were manufactured in the according countries and sold there as well. The workers were paid there and corporate taxes as well. Since they were not making any profit for decades, GM paid most likely less taxes in the US than you did.

A++ for absolute ignorance.

Buy American only results in sales tax since all the big US manufacturers are not making any profit. You pay the same sales tax on any other product from any other country.

And Ford used to only sell black cars, but that's not the way things are today, jamac. How 'bout we stick to current reality?

And, if you want to assert something, link it, 'cause you have no credibility with me unless I see evidence - "most likely" doesn't cut it.

Besides, I have links to financial records for GM 2000 (3rd Q) that shows your assertion (Since they were not making any profit for decades, GM paid most likely less taxes in the US than you did) to be full of it.
http://money.cnn.com/2000/10/12/comp...gm/results.htm

Since they are in bankruptcy their financials aren't quite so easily determined.

A++ for baseless assertions.
post #612 of 616
Quote:

And Ford used to only sell black cars, but that's not the way things are today, jamac. How 'bout we stick to current reality?

And, if you want to assert something, link it, 'cause you have no credibility with me unless I see evidence - "most likely" doesn't cut it.

A++ for baseless assertions.

That's hilarious. You do realize you didn't provide any "evidence" for your statement that Honda pays less tax than GM, right?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #613 of 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's hilarious. You do realize you didn't provide any "evidence" for your statement that Honda pays less tax than GM, right?

The evidence supplied was to address jamac's assertion that "GM paid most likely less taxes in the US than you did".

As far as supporting any other assertion I've made, read them more carefully and notice that it specifically stated "taxes on profits". If you'd like I can link to IRS tax codes and Japanese tax codes...and link to production volume stats that shows that in 2008 Honda sold less than half the number of vehicles than GM did.
post #614 of 616
Quote:

The evidence supplied was to address jamac's assertion that "GM paid most likely less taxes in the US than you did".

As far as supporting any other assertion I've made, read them more carefully and notice that it specifically stated "taxes on profits". If you'd like I can link to IRS tax codes and Japanese tax codes...and link to production volume stats that shows that in 2008 Honda sold less than half the number of vehicles than GM did.

Tässkiss,
Your name shows how you think the world works.

A corporation by default tries to make money for their stock holders. However it also will try to minimize tax payment. i.e. oil industry. It rather pays millions to lobbyists. DUH>

GM acquires Jaguar, also known to accountants as "write off." 12 cylinder write off
Lots of $ goes to GB.
J constantly looses $.
This is again a "write off."
Lots of $ goes to GB.
More write off less taxes.
Corp goes to government, whines, gets tax relief.
ÜberDUHä

Can't make it any more pre school... exhausted...
post #615 of 616
Quote:

Tässkiss,
Your name shows how you think the world works.

How is this germane to the conversation? If not, is this some juvenile attempt at insulting me? If so, I assure you, your disrespect only highlights who you are, not who I am. A personal aside - how old are you, if I may ask?
Quote:
A corporation by default tries to make money for their stock holders. However it also will try to minimize tax payment. i.e. oil industry. It rather pays millions to lobbyists. DUH>

GM acquires Jaguar, also known to accountants as "write off." 12 cylinder write off
Lots of $ goes to GB.
J constantly looses $.
This is again a "write off."
Lots of $ goes to GB.
More write off less taxes.
Corp goes to government, whines, gets tax relief.
ÜberDUHä

Can't make it any more pre school... exhausted...

Logic would dictate that after I insisted on citation, you'd cite facts if you felt you had a coherent argument.

Since you're refusing or unable to do so, I must assume you can only argue incoherently... and this post seems to support that assumption, 'cause DAMN...

Interesting to fail so spectacularly at making it "preschool".
post #616 of 616
Jäguar
Quote:

A personal aside - how old are you, if I may ask?

I äm 14 yeärs öld. Herr Tässkiss.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Auto Industry Bailout