or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple now taking orders for 24-inch LED Cinema Display

Apple now taking orders for 24-inch LED Cinema Display - Page 4

post #121 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

With 3 USB ports? 3 is too few for me... I need more than that. All 3 brings is keyboard, mouse, printer. What about digital camera? Ipod/iphone? External Hard Drive? Midi Device? USB Headset?

3 USB ports on the monitor. With the MacBook, and keyboard, you have a total of 7 USB ports.

Quote:
I guess so, I barely notice mine though. It's pretty cool, I don't notice any of these wires... they are all back behind where I can't see them.

The point of the integrated power is the ability to easily plug and unplug the notebook from the monitor.
post #122 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

3 USB ports on the monitor. With the MacBook, and keyboard, you have a total of 7 USB ports.

The point of the integrated power is the ability to easily plug and unplug the notebook from the monitor.

I am using the white MacBook these past two months "docked" when at home and by itself while out and about. I can see this integrated power thing as really, really useful.

It's some of the benefits of a "docking station" without being too cumbersome.
post #123 of 130
Quote:

I understand the point. I think that's fairly obvious.

I and many professionals would not even think about using apple's keyboards. Very ergonomic unfriendly. So you really have 4 USB ports in most scenarios.

No matter what it's still connected to a glossy un-userfriendly lcd.

I don't understand how computer companies are getting away with using glossy. It really shows the ignorance people have. Ohhhhh it's shiny... it must be great... just like vista right?

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:

post #124 of 130
Quote:

...I don't understand how computer companies are getting away with using glossy. It really shows the ignorance people have. Ohhhhh it's shiny... it must be great... just like vista right?

Interestingly, one can get used to glossy... Getting used to Vista, it's nice and shiny at the start, but it feels icky after a few weeks...
post #125 of 130
Quote:

I and many professionals would not even think about using apple's keyboards. Very ergonomic unfriendly. So you really have 4 USB ports in most scenarios.

I guess no one confused you for a glass half full type.

Quote:
No matter what it's still connected to a glossy un-userfriendly lcd.

I don't understand how computer companies are getting away with using glossy. It really shows the ignorance people have. Ohhhhh it's shiny... it must be great... just like vista right?

This is all a matter of opinion and preference. When Apple first switched to glossy, I was skeptical about them too. After I saw one in action I discovered that the screens are beautiful.
post #126 of 130
Quote:

I guess no one confused you for a glass half full type.

Quote:
This is all a matter of opinion and preference. When Apple first switched to glossy, I was skeptical about them too. After I saw one in action I discovered that the screens are beautiful.

I agree, they are beautiful. But they aren't practical to work on. I was forced on one for a company I was outsourced to for two weeks. Every night I went home with headaches and poor eyesight. I tried moving desks to change lighting, I tried different chairs (thinking the steelcase i was in wasn't working well). I tried changing the settings on the lcd... I finally brought in my OWN 24" in. All eye strain was gone.

I was brought in to convert a photoshop design to a CSS / Perl / Oracle web layout. They wanted it to be down to the last pixel. Needless to say I was constantly measuring all day on the monitor, and was constantly fighting angle glare. 24" is a large area, and a lot of different light sources can hit it. I haven't had a graphics pro disagree with me yet. I can't imagine the uproar apple will get if they put glossy on a 30". Talk about many different sources of light.

I'm sure someone on a computer for 2-3 hours a day can handle this. But when this is your work and you are constantly moving your head to verify colors, and using the cross marque to measure from one point to another with the light making the gray box invisible because of the light... you have failed at making a great monitor.

Sorry for the run on sentence. I'm willing to SWALLOW the gloss on laptops because they have small screens. But unless you work in a pure pitch black light room, you're going to get glare no matter what.

Lets not even get into trying to correctly calibrate them.

Quote:

Quote:

post #127 of 130
Quote:

I was brought in to convert a photoshop design to a CSS / Perl / Oracle web layout. They wanted it to be down to the last pixel. Needless to say I was constantly measuring all day on the monitor, and was constantly fighting angle glare. 24" is a large area, and a lot of different light sources can hit it. I haven't had a graphics pro disagree with me yet. I can't imagine the uproar apple will get if they put glossy on a 30". Talk about many different sources of light.

What I see as the most shame in your story is that you are being forced to do color sensitive work in a environment that is counterproductive to color sensitive work.

In my profession these are the only acceptable environments for critical color work. They do use reflective glass CRT screens.

post #128 of 130
Quote:

What I see as the most shame in your story is that you are being forced to do color sensitive work in a environment that is counterproductive to color sensitive work.

So now everyone needs to work in the dark? It would have helped for sure, but I don't think the rest of the office would have liked it. I guess I could have worked in the bathrooms??

And yes, i agree glossy is perfectly acceptable for a dark environment like those pics... but how many offices are like that? How many homes are like that?

BTW... for this particular job I spoke of... color wasn't absolutely critical. But they had similar colors for this client and I needed to be able to differentiate them quickly w/o using the color dropper. The PITA was trying to have an exact layout with CSS vs the PS mockup and trying to line things up with glare in my eyes

Quote:

Quote:

post #129 of 130
Its just an example of the proper environment for color work.

These rooms were built with critical color work as their primary purpose. Its not entirely that difficult to do.

You are right in most situations you are not going to be in such a dark space. But preventing any glare from corrupting the monitor is strictly important, matte or glossy doesn't matter.

Quote:

So now everyone needs to work in the dark? It would have helped for sure, but I don't think the rest of the office would have liked it. I guess I could have worked in the bathrooms??

And yes, i agree glossy is perfectly acceptable for a dark environment like those pics... but how many offices are like that? How many homes are like that?

BTW... for this particular job I spoke of... color wasn't absolutely critical. But they had similar colors for this client and I needed to be able to differentiate them quickly w/o using the color dropper. The PITA was trying to have an exact layout with CSS vs the PS mockup and trying to line things up with glare in my eyes
post #130 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Nice, thanks for the link. I'm planning to pick one of these up to accompany my 15" MacBook Pro for when I need to sit down and do some work.

Indeed, thank you very much for the link. I really enjoyed the discussion threads too. All those folk going on and an about glossy and the connectors.... Well, if you don't want to buy one, why buy one? Nobody's making you and more to the point, since this monitor did not exist until now, you're not missing anything if you do not buy one, unless you are addicted to buying EVERYTHING new from Apple.

Well, I've been on the road to perdition since the original Mac came out in 1984, so I've bought just about all of them-- except the pizza boxes and the MacPro super-sizes. After all I'm really a Cube guy until I fell in love with the iMac 24" I'm now using. Since I have always fumbled with cables and such trying to use my Cinema Displays on another desk where I use them as a DVD screen with older models of macs, I find that one MBP ends up pretty much chained in place.

I'm not going to buy this one until I get my hands on one of the new MacBook Pros-- this one will have a Japanese keyboard, but not until the new year, but my wife only wishes that she had waited a month before buying the old model MacBook Air only to have these new ones come out...

Keep the comments coming, though, I'm looking forward to learning more about the LED displays in action.
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
"Run faster. History is a constant race between invention and catastrophe. Education helps but it is never enough. You must also run." Leto Atreides II
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple now taking orders for 24-inch LED Cinema Display