or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases Apple TV 2.3 with AirTunes, third-party remotes

Apple releases Apple TV 2.3 with AirTunes, third-party remotes - Page 2

post #41 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroneo View Post

Where have you been?? Most iPods except the touch have FM capability ?!?! You just need the Radio Remote.

That's not an FM tuner in my iPod. That's a separate product that brings the FM tuner to by iPod.

I'm all for Apple releasing an add-on to the aTV that brings DVR. But the box itself won't ever do it without something added on.
post #42 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Why pay anything when you can DVR free-to-air TV.

It's not about it being an alternative to anything. It's about consolidating the ridiculous assortment of non-user-friendly devices one is expected to have under their TV to pass as a human being into one simple device. If i want to watch a DVD I shouldn't need to perform genital origami just to reach over the TV to unplug cords or attempt to navigate cryptic, MS DOS-like on screen menus using 3 remote controls.

Please Apple give me this one device to rule all others or open up your DRM so somebody can before I lose interest in TV altogether.

I don't know how ANYONE tolerates multiple remotes. I have a JP1 that makes switching between sources for TV and stereo a ONE button operation, on ONE remote. It cost $20.
post #43 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

What a bizarre statement. We're talking "Digital Video Recorder" right? Like a VCR but with an HDD instead of tapes.

Some people say that Apple shouldn't add DVR functionality because AppleTV competes against cable. That statement is making an intrinsic implication that the only stuff worth recording is transmitted over cable which requires a subscription. I'm saying that actually, there's plenty of stuff worth watching that's transmitted for free.

For me, the AppleTV's ability to rent HD movies is interesting. Its ability to stream content from a computer in the house is interesting. But if I had an AppleTV as it stands now, I'd still want a DVR and a blu-ray player. Why have three devices when a Mac Mini with a blu-ray drive, a couple of FreeView tuners and some decent Apple software could do it all in one, better, and for less money overall?

I'm also in the UK and I use four sources of video: NetFlix-style postal DVDs; BBC free tv, video podcasts and SKY for the odd sports match. But I never watch BBC/SKY in real time.

If AppleTV got DVR, then I would buy one to watch BBC, SKY and podcasts, and be a sitting duck for replacing NetFlix with Apple rentals just as soon as they get the rental choice high enough. Plus whatever future services they want to throw at me.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #44 of 108
Cool - my iPod touch does Apple TV volume now.

Programming my JP1 remote was a piece of cake. Very Apple-ish.

Nice.
post #45 of 108
When will apple allow us to hook up external storage to the USB port!

C'mon, it has to be in the works, what's use of streaming if it's from only a 160GB drive.

To me this is the single biggest flaw in the aTV.
post #46 of 108
Add Safari to it already.
And let me stream my DVD playing in my Mac to it.
post #47 of 108
Um, the AppleTV is really nothing more than an iTunes player. All the AppleTV was intended to do was extend your computer's reach into the living room, it allows you to stream/sync your library over your home network. Works perfect for me as I have a huge iTunes Library.

And what exactly does whining accomplish? The AppleTV is not a DVR and is not a BlueRay/DVD player, get over it. Go find something that will do what you want. What the hell is wrong with people these days? Or is this just a typical Internet forum fill of spoiled kids who still think the world owes them everything.

Do you really think people who are interested in the AppleTV want to hear you complain about what it doesn't offer, when we know full well what it can and can't do.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
post #48 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Um, the AppleTV is really nothing more than an iTunes player. All the AppleTV was intended to do was extend your computer's reach into the living room, it allows you to stream/sync your library over your home network. Works perfect for me as I have a huge iTunes Library.

An iTunes player that won't let your search and have quick access to your own music files? Hmmm??
Do you ever search your huge music library files on it? Without your iPhone or iTouch? It's a joke. It has a search function to buy only?
post #49 of 108
prolly going to pass on this

post #50 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamban View Post

When will apple allow us to hook up external storage to the USB port!

C'mon, it has to be in the works, what's use of streaming if it's from only a 160GB drive.

To me this is the single biggest flaw in the aTV.

First of all, if your content is copied over to your 160GB drive, it is not streamed, it is in fact played directly from the device. Streaming only occurs when the content is located somewhere else on your network, like say, your computer. The point of the internal hard drive was to store content synced from your iTunes library, say maybe all the stuff you haven't watched yet (or whatever you want).

I also have a 160GB drive, but haven't had a need for it. Since my computer is always on, I can just stream everything from computer. So that 160GB drive just sits empty. So it basically acts as an AirTunes receiver for video, except I can also rent/buy movies and buy TV Shows from it, and watch YouTube content.
post #51 of 108
Quote:

First of all, if your content is copied over to your 160GB drive, it is not streamed, it is in fact played directly from the device. Streaming only occurs when the content is located somewhere else on your network, like say, your computer. The point of the internal hard drive was to store content synced from your iTunes library, say maybe all the stuff you haven't watched yet (or whatever you want).

I also have a 160GB drive, but haven't had a need for it. Since my computer is always on, I can just stream everything from computer. So that 160GB drive just sits empty. So it basically acts as an AirTunes receiver for video, except I can also rent/buy movies and buy TV Shows from it, and watch YouTube content.

First of all, don't "First of all" me!
I have over 500GB of iTunes on my iMac, it is not always on. My aTV, like everybody's, is always on, but obviously it can't fit/sync my iTunes library.
The aTV should serve as a standalone iTunes server. With the new streaming FROM aTV capabilities in 2.3, all I need more storage, hence the plea for USB support. So close.
post #52 of 108
I bought an iPod touch, even though it doesn't make ice cream.

There's a reason for Apple's madness. ATV is one of those products that seems to frustrate a lot of non-owners. They are not going to buy unless Apple adds X, Y, Z..and they better do it soon or they will switch to Dell. For the actual ATV owners, it's a joy to own and use.

There are other products that perform other duties that I need for my full TV experience. I have 2 DVD players, one standalone and one that came with the Bose surround sound system. I rarely use them. It's just too convenient to download movies from iTunes and/or wait for them on DirecTV. By the way, I've never had anyone complain about the quality of movies from iTMS. If you watch movies rather than scrutinize pixels, then you won't even notice a difference between sources.

With streaming movies and slide show functions and mobileme bonuses, the handwriting is on the wall. My parents are dropping their Netflix account after I gave them my older ATV. It's too convenient and getting better all the time as far as selection. Plus they love connecting to my mobileme account as far as photos/movies of the kids.

The v2.3 software hasn't fixed the delay when scrolling through long menus. But they did add a "HD" notification icon next to your movies that are HD resolution. I can't see any other visual differences in the GUI.
post #53 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Now all they have to do is make it useful by allowing DVR functionality.

Urging Apple to "allow" DVR functionality in the AppleTV is to make light of what's needed. Unlike my TiVo HD, the ATV has no tuner of any kind, and doesn't even have an RF input. Or indeed any active input other than wired/wireless network. And its internal hard drive isn't big enough for more than minimal storage.

So it wouldn't be a question of allowing DVR functionality via a software update. Instead Apple would have to design and build a new device. While they're quite capable of doing that, they've shown no such inclination so far.
post #54 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And let me stream my DVD playing in my Mac to it.

That would be truly cool.
post #55 of 108
Quote:

And what exactly does whining accomplish? The AppleTV is not a DVR and is not a BlueRay/DVD player, get over it. Go find something that will do what you want. What the hell is wrong with people these days? Or is this just a typical Internet forum fill of spoiled kids who still think the world owes them everything.

Do you really think people who are interested in the AppleTV want to hear you complain about what it doesn't offer, when we know full well what it can and can't do.

It must have escaped your attention that the AppleTV is a very poor seller. In my opinion that's because as it stands, it's just another box to put under your telly; if instead Apple offered a device to replace all your "under the telly" boxes, they'd sell a lot more of them.
it's = it is / it has, its = belonging to it.
post #56 of 108
safari would be great without resorting to hacking. then i could watch BBC iplayer on it. i can do this on my wii, so why not appletv?
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
Trying hard to think of a new signature...
post #57 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb01 View Post

prolly going to pass on this

Keep us posted!
post #58 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

This is a discussion forum, we'll discuss whatever we d@mn well please.

Dawh, somebody got offended.

Take a look at my rank. I'm not a mod, so it's not like I actually have any say in the matter. Many an Apple TV discussion have been derailed back to "well it should have DVR blah blah." It's been exhausted and it never made sense in the first place. I actually provided an alternative solution, while you've done nothing but state the obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Well, what about @people who might want to turn this into a why does anyone want TV discussion

and

@people who might want to turn this into a why does anyone want Blu-ray discussion?

Hey, I said please. Maybe I should have said "I suggest you stop while you're behind."
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
post #59 of 108
Quote:

It must have escaped your attention that the AppleTV is a very poor seller. In my opinion that's because as it stands, it's just another box to put under your telly; if instead Apple offered a device to replace all your "under the telly" boxes, they'd sell a lot more of them.

I completely agree with you man, that SHOULD be the purpose of ATV but for some reason it's not. I'd really love one of these but it doesn't replace all my other dumb boxes. Plus without the option of downloading my OWN movies to iTunes; i'm not going to go and purchase all the same movies on the iTMS, what a waste of money that would be, plus you get no DVD Special features if purcahased on iTMS. like I said, would love to buy into it but it's just not there yet.

and to reply to mr. nasty above...I strongly believe that blogs area a good way to post ideas to Exec's out there. Contrary to popular belief, lot's of Apple "people" read these blogs.

And, no we aren't all spoilled little brats, we just demand better products from Version #1. Unlike most wastefull American Consumers, I can't blow $350 every couple years when the newest device comes out. I'd rather put my hard earned money into products that can last longer than a year.
post #60 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I completely agree with you man, that SHOULD be the purpose of ATV but for some reason it's not. I'd really love one of these but it doesn't replace all my other dumb boxes. Plus without the option of downloading my OWN movies to iTunes; i'm not going to go and purchase all the same movies on the iTMS, what a waste of money that would be, plus you get no DVD Special features if purcahased on iTMS. like I said, would love to buy into it but it's just not there yet.

and to reply to mr. nasty above...I strongly believe that blogs area a good way to post ideas to Exec's out there. Contrary to popular belief, lot's of Apple "people" read these blogs.

And, no we aren't all spoilled little brats, we just demand better products from Version #1. Unlike most wastefull American Consumers, I can't blow $350 every couple years when the newest device comes out. I'd rather put my hard earned money into products that can last longer than a year.

RIGHT ON! If I knew back in May 2007 that it would evolve into basically an Apple Juke Box I would have said "no way" instead of laying out $$.
post #61 of 108
Quote:

RIGHT ON! If I knew back in May 2007 that it would evolve into basically an Apple Juke Box I would have said "no way" instead of laying out $$.

I think Apple should think about the one stop-shop-device. Think about it, one device that can link your iTunes to your TV, Play DVD/BD, is a DVR, and have all the firmware capability of the iPhone. Drop in a optical audio output and you have the home Theater Killer. I'd easily pay $500 without hesitation.
post #62 of 108
Quote:

Wait a second... So, you "laid out $$" for a product without knowing what it could do or what is was for? What did you expect it to do and what were you promised it would eventually do?

I bought my AppleTV because Apple said that it would allow me to watch my iTunes content on my TV in the living room. Is that not what it does? Are you sure you got an AppleTV?
post #63 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Freeview ROCKS!

but the sooner 2012 arrives and we free up the bandwidth for a larger slice per channel.. the BETTER for all our eyes.

I'm getting sick of the crappy compression artefacts on some channels (50" screen)

But Walter...2012 is the end of the World.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #64 of 108
Quote:

What do I care if it's a poor seller? And what exactly makes it a poor seller? It's a product with a very limited set of features that would only be useful to a small group of people; those who want to view their iTunes library on their TV's. Why does Apple need to sell a lot more of them? Is that all that interests you?

I just really don't understand all of this bashing based off wishful thinking? Desire is one thing, hell even I would like to see at least a DVD player built-in, but I don't see how the missing DVD player takes away from what it actually does and was advertised to do?
post #65 of 108
It also strangely disabled volume on some of my HD episodes that were converted from .mkv files with VisualHub. Not all of them seem affected but the most recent are...
post #66 of 108
Quote:

What do I care if it's a poor seller? And what exactly makes it a poor seller? It's a product with a very limited set of features that would only be useful to a small group of people; those who want to view their iTunes library on their TV's. Why does Apple need to sell a lot more of them? Is that all that interests you?

I just really don't understand all of this bashing based off wishful thinking? Desire is one thing, hell even I would like to see at least a DVD player built-in, but I don't see how the missing DVD player takes away from what it actually does and was advertised to do?

What i really don't understand is your hostility towards the people on this site that are trying to hold a civil discussion? We are simply discussing our thoughts on how we can take this great idea that ATV is and make it better to the end user. it's a discussion. We're not bashing ATV at all, we all really like it in theory, otherwise we wouldn't be on the blog, silly.
post #67 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Of course you can add your own movies to itunes, ever heard of handbrake and isquint....so easy
post #68 of 108
Now if only the AppleTV could finally act as an AirPort base station, or at least as a relay station for an AirPort based WiFi network, then we'd have a good reason to buy these instead of AirPort Express or AirPort extreme units.

And if we could use the external USB port to hook up a printer of disk drive and have it act as print server or TimeCapsule, then we'd really be talking business.

The AppleTV has too much overlap with either a MacMini or a TimeCapsule/AirPort Express unit to not either be replaced by the former or to not incorporate the functionality of the latter two.
post #69 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by russco View Post

Of course you can add your own movies to itunes, ever heard of handbrake and isquint....so easy

That was one of the main reasons to get the AppleTV, to have all my movies at the touch of a button. So far, I've ripped about 100 movies, still many more to go.

Handbrake & MetaX, works beautifully!
post #70 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by russco View Post

that's not the point. iTunes SHOULD HAVE that functionality on it's own, like ripping a music CD to iTunes.
post #71 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg_nyc View Post

The AppleTV is going nowhere fast, which is sad because if they would ask us what we need instead of telling us, we would all be better off.

Steve has called AppleTV a "hobby".
I think "hobby" is a code word for competitive placeholder.

I bet Steve has a long term vision for what he wants the AppleTV to become.
Until all the pieces are there and he is ready to say "one more thing" we will have the placeholder.
It gives Apple a foothold in the market, makes it hard for a competitor to establish themselves and buys Apple time.
post #72 of 108
Ok, we have remote control from the iphone, but give me ATV with a DVR and a way from my iPhone from anywhere to access my stored programs and watch on my iphone....and I am in for life.
post #73 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjp View Post

My AppleTV is rebooting right now with 2.3. I am totally psyched about the AirTunes. I've been wondering why this wasn't there before!! Now my home music system is complete.

Jim

Agreed, why on earth this hasn't been there from day one! It is great now to be able to use my iTunes full Library (8,000 songs in mine at the moment) on the main Hi Fi with the click of a mouse! Now the iTunes movies should play audio and video just as easily from the Mac end as an option to having to 'get' them at the ATV end. I am far better with a Mac and Mouse than a remote and ATV.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #74 of 108
Volume control!!! yeah

But hang on...only for music!!!...what idiot at apple thought that was a good idea?? I also want volume control for podcasts and movies.

So here is a wild crazy idea....volume control for everything!!! come on how hard is it!!

List of other wants

1. multiple views like itunes for my movies.

2. Mail app

3. Safari with iphone remote mouse and keyboard

Don't need DVR as I have IQ 2 for paytv and free to air digital.

Maybe in 3.0 update...

PS anyone that hates their apple tv and wants to sell it...post me a reply.
post #75 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post

I predict a DVR in my aTV just as soon as there's an FM tuner in my iPod.

(Half past never.)

Quoted for truth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
post #76 of 108
Just to clarify, Apple listed the fixes and one of them said...

"Playlists \tPlaylists in iTunes that contain Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, and Music Videos can now be seen on Apple TV."

So does that mean that movie playlists will now work on the Apple TV? I ahve a stack of movie playlists that never ever copy across. I have put thru a feature request for this, as have others. Can anyone check if this now works?
Owen stop reading my posts.
Owen stop reading my posts.
post #77 of 108
If ATV incorporated DVR it'd cannibalize video sales/rentals through the iTS. Apple would have to change the entire ATV sales model. The stats say TV/Movie sales/rentals are currently at fairly low rates, just think how much lower those rates would be if ATV incorporated DVR. I'm not sure Apple is ready for that big a change in the ATV business. It's because of this that I've never understood people's irritation with Apple for not including DVR. It's simply not what this product was designed to be.

Back on topic:
This 2.3 update sound nice enough. Nothing to jump up and down about but will definitely improve the user experience. Can't wait to d/l it tonight.
post #78 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

If ATV incorporated DVR it'd cannibalize video sales/rentals through the iTS. Apple would have to change the entire ATV sales model. The stats say TV/Movie sales/rentals are currently at fairly low rates, just think how much lower those rates would be if ATV incorporated DVR. I'm not sure Apple is ready for that big a change in the ATV business. It's because of this that I've never understood people's irritation with Apple for not including DVR. It's simply not what this product was designed to be.

The argument is flawed because in order to do the sales/rentals to the AppleTV box, first you've got to get people to buy the AppleTV box!

As it stands, AppleTV is not an enticing enough product for most people. They've got a DVR. They've got a Blu-ray player or a DVD player (which perhaps they're considering upgrading to Blu-ray). They don't want to get rid of those devices unless it's to replace all of them with one box. So they don't get an AppleTV and they don't rent or buy anything at all from iTunes.

Now, put DVR and Blu-ray in the AppleTV - suddenly it becomes a lot more interesting to a lot more people. Now Apple has the potential to sell/rent more content from the iTunes store.

Why would people buy from iTunes if they've got DVR? For the same reasons that people with DVRs buy DVDs - DVR is primarily for time-shifting TV broadcasts, purchasing content is for stuff you like enough to want to watch several times and therefore want to buy it to keep.

Why would people rent from iTunes if they've got DVR? Because titles become available on iTunes a lot sooner than they are broadcast free-to-air or on non-premium cable.
post #79 of 108
Quote:

Wait a second... So, you "laid out $$" for a product without knowing what it could do or what is was for? What did you expect it to do and what were you promised it would eventually do?

I bought my AppleTV because Apple said that it would allow me to watch my iTunes content on my TV in the living room. Is that not what it does? Are you sure you got an AppleTV?

You're completely missing the point- Apple has put your music and your movies/video files at the BOTTOM of their respective menus- they should be at the top. Searching your files should be easier with Apple TV not harder than iTunes on your computer. Is that so hard to comprehend?
I laid out $$ thinking that the intention of ATV was to evolve into a device which made playing those files on my TV easier not harder. I had no idea it would evolve into an Apple JUKebox with an emphasis to buy and rent from Apple.
I should be able to play(stream) or store(rip via iTunes) my entire DVD collection on it - that''s where it should have revolved. You still can't even repeat any of your videos or songs on it!!! And the only searchfunction is for "to buy" at the iTunes store. I bought it to add functionality to my own files-not anticipating it would become an Apple purchasing tool to buy/rent Apples files.
YOu could hook any cable from any computer or buy a mini Mac and get better functionality a performance than ATV- and that's why it's not selling. Anyone who plays with those menus loses interest real fast.
Unless of course now you want to add another machine for renting and buying low quality, mostly DRM crap - than good for you.
post #80 of 108
Last night I rented a movie and this screen came up, I've never seen it before.
dunno... it might be a 2.3 thing.
bb
bb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Apple releases Apple TV 2.3 with AirTunes, third-party remotes