or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2

Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2

post #1 of 234
Apple early Friday morning released iPhone 2.2 Software Update, which delivers a number of improvements and adds Google Street View, public transit and walking directions, and more. A similar update is available for iPod touch users without the new Maps enhancements.

New Features

The update includes all of the features that were outlined in recent weeks, including Emoji icons for Japanese users. Apple has published a page on its website dedicated to the release, and specifically highlights the following enhancements:
Enhancements to Maps
Google Street View: Street View takes you on a virtual walking tour: Navigate street-level photographs of places you've located in Maps.
Public transit and walking directions: Get walking directions, find public transit schedules, check fares, and estimate your travel time.

Display address of dropped pins
Share location via email: Tap the Share Location button to send an email that includes a Google Maps URL.
Decrease in call setup failures and dropped calls
Enhancements to Mail
Resolved isolated issues with scheduled fetching of email
Improved formatting of wide HTML*email
Podcasts are now available for download in iTunes application (over Wi-Fi and cellular network): Get access to millions of free podcasts on the iTunes Store via Wi-Fi or your cellular network.
Improved stability and performance of*Safari: A new search-friendly user interface, better performance, and more stability make Safari even easier to use.
Improved sound quality of Visual Voicemail messages
Home screen shortcut: pressing Home button from any Home screen displays the first Home screen.
Preference to turn on/off auto-correction in Keyboard Settings

iPod touch Software v2.2

Apple has also released a similar update for iPod touch users, however the accounting principles adopted by the company require that it charge for 'new feature' additions to the digital media player. As such, the iPod touch version of the software does not include the Google Maps enhancements and there's no word on when or how Apple plans to ultimately deliver those features.

An iPhone with v2.2 vs. and iPod touch with v2.2 | Image Credit: Gizmodo

Upgrading

To update your iPhone or iPod touch to version 2.2, make sure you are using iTunes 8 and then connect your iPhone or iPod to your computer. When iTunes opens, select your iPhone or iPod under Devices in the Source List on the left.

In the Summary pane, click "Check for Update." Click Download and Install. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.
post #2 of 234
Good morning USA. Half of the europeans have already installed this upgrade by now The other half is waiting because it's not 100% sure yet that the upgrade won't break a jailbreaked iPhone.
post #3 of 234
The iPod touch update is out also.
post #4 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriky View Post

Good morning USA. Half of the europeans have already installed this upgrade by now The other half is waiting because it's not 100% sure yet that the upgrade won't break a jailbreaked iPhone.

Pwnage Team is saying it's fine for 2G iPhones without hurting the unlock any jailbroken 3Gs if you create a customs IPSW file with their tool. However, if you would potentially like to jailbreak in the future don't update without using their tool as this will update the Baseband in 3G iPhones. The 2G Bandeband is untouched.

Safari is a dream, again, finally!!! I typed this message on my elitist cellphone.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 234
Does the touch update include all the maps stuff?
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #6 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Nope.

K
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
EIC- AppleInsider.com
Questions and comments to : kasper@appleinsider.com
post #7 of 234
I noticed that at the bottom where it says "Load 25 More" Apple changed it so you could only view the top 100 apps. Now you can keep hitting the button and view all of the apps in that category.
post #8 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I assume the reasoning is due to non-GAAP accounting. I suspect that the next update will be feature-rich, will include the Maps update and cost you money.
post #9 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Pwnage Team is saying it's fine for 2G iPhones without hurting the unlock any jailbroken 3Gs if you create a customs IPSW file with their tool. However, if you would potentially like to jailbreak in the future don't update without using their tool as this will update the Baseband in 3G iPhones. The 2G Bandeband is untouched.

Safari is a dream, again, finally!!! I typed this message on my elitist cellphone.

To quote them:

We believe that our Pwnage technique (and therefore the Jailbreak) isnt affected, but PwnageTool and QuickPwn do not support this release as yet, so DO NOT install 2.2 using iTunes as you will lose your jailbreak.

PwnageTool and QuickPwn updates will be released as soon as possible that will allow a safe update path to 2.2 the release of these updates is inevitable but not imminent, we are creating the modifications right now and we need to put the new software through the usual testing process.

post #10 of 234
The emoji work really well in email (and SMS) but seeminly only to and from other Softbank users - I couldn't get my AU and Docomo-using friends to see them, and nor can I see theirs still. Come on Apple/Softbank, sort it out, this is something *every* Japanese phone can do!

Anybody else had any luck with cross-network emoji?

By the way, the Apple documentation states that you're only allowed to send emoji if your SIM is a Softbank SIM: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2404

Quote:
"Not all customers can create and view Emoji. Emoji can only be sent from an iPhone running OS 2.2 with a SoftBank email account and a SoftBank SIM"
post #11 of 234
I installed the 2.2 update (US) on my iPhone 3G, and can't figure out how to activate the street view. What am I missing?
post #12 of 234
Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

Lets add features for 1% of our users and ignore the features that 99.99% have been publicly bashing us about not having.

People bash on Microsoft for bloatware and useless features all the time but at least out of the 100 useless things they add to their products the core elements are there that I need.

So how long do we wait for the 2.3 Update so we can find out nothing we want has been added?
post #13 of 234
The App Store now displays multiple screenshots, and they are full-screen. WooHoo!
post #14 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

Lets add features for 1% of our users and ignore the features that 99.99% have been publicly bashing us about not having.

People bash on Microsoft for bloatware and useless features all the time but at least out of the 100 useless things they add to their products the core elements are there that I need.

So how long do we wait for the 2.3 Update so we can find out nothing we want has been added?

The same discussion can been found on most sites. But I've heard people say that the phone is also faster, so I hope that the internals have been worked out now. Maybe, if we are lucky, we don't have to reboot the damn thing every week now.
post #15 of 234
Quote:

The same discussion can been found on most sites. But I've heard people say that the phone is also faster, so I hope that the internals have been worked out now. Maybe, if we are lucky, we don't have to reboot the damn thing every week now.

Good point.. mine does seem a bit faster but it also reboots and gets redone during the update, since I never reboot mine I figured that was contributing.

I was happy with this phone but little things are starting to eat away at my perceptions... there is no way they are going to hold off Android with updates like this.
post #16 of 234
So far running well on my iPod Touch. Can't say that I notice any significant improvements in anything. But nothing seems to have been broken either.
post #17 of 234
Quote:

I assume the reasoning is due to non-GAAP accounting. I suspect that the next update will be feature-rich, will include the Maps update and cost you money.

Apple really need to fire their accountants. The iPod touch generates a continued revenue stream through music, video and applications.

If Microsoft can legally give away massive updates for the Zune and Xbox 360, Apple can give away updates for the iPod touch.

Apple might have great engineers but they've obviously hired a bunch of idiots in their finance team.

(Am I getting too angry about paying $40 a year for software updates? )
post #18 of 234
Quote:

I'm planning on waiting a day or two for the responses from the early adopters.

Quote:

Point updates shouldn't be a problem though.

Quote:

Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean most others won't either. Saying most people won't find it useful because you don't is flawed thinking.

Also, I doubt that really adds much bloat.
post #19 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean most others won't either. Saying most people won't find it useful because you don't is flawed thinking.

Also, I doubt that really adds much bloat.

I am sure others will but the majority? Given the limited availability of Street View it's FAR less useful to the greater mass than any of the other features that have been requested. The % values were obviously not backed by any real 'polling' data but still get my point across the same as 25% wanting street views and 75% wanting other features would have.

I wasn't stating that these features added bloat, I was stating that even though other products tend to give us a lot of crap we don't need and won't ever use at least they ALSO include the features people will use and do need.
post #20 of 234
Yeah but is it snappier?
post #21 of 234
Execellent point. All of these updates are fluff, except for the Safari fix. That update was well over due. They need to get rid of this picture messaging problem. If this is a smart phone it should be able to do this application without sending us to a website asking us to put in some weird pass code. Listen to what everyday users have to say instead of big business.
When is the next update going to be, Christmas, New years? I wonder if they are running out of ideas.

Quote:

post #22 of 234
Quote:

I am sure others will but the majority? Given the limited availability of Street View it's FAR less useful to the greater mass than any of the other features that have been requested.

The problem is perception. Street View is available in a LOT of cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View

I wouldn't be surprised if more than half the US population is covered by Street View, both their workplace and home, and Google is still adding cities. And it's not just US cities, scroll down the list and you'll see a lot of cities in other countries too. That list is expanding too. I have found it useful to know what to look for when I get there. I plan to also use it to check if there really is a legitimate, functioning business at that location as another point in fraud protection.
post #23 of 234
Video recording still isn't there. I just feel that Apple should be clearing out the basic features before they start with the fluff. I'll play with Street View for a day or so, but that's it. And far as the emotioncons(sp)? WTF, really? OTA podcast will be cool and everyone could use a Safari fix, but this update just feel fluffy.
post #24 of 234
Quote:

I am sure others will but the majority? Given the limited availability of Street View it's FAR less useful to the greater mass than any of the other features that have been requested. The % values were obviously not backed by any real 'polling' data but still get my point across the same as 25% wanting street views and 75% wanting other features would have.

I wasn't stating that these features added bloat, I was stating that even though other products tend to give us a lot of crap we don't need and won't ever use at least they ALSO include the features people will use and do need.

Your reemsrk seems to imply that Apple added Street View in leu of other features. We don't know if Apple is working to perfect copy/paste on the iPhone or has no plans to add it at all. This may have been a simple addition to add the small icon that calls Google's Street View the way that Maps already calls Google Maps.

As for bugs fixes, I'm happy that this wasn't a feature update as v2 has been buggy from the start. I've been using my iPhone since 6am this morning and still have yet to crash Sarafi or even suffer a slow down of the keyboard. Fix first, then add to it.
post #25 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I installed the 2.2 update (US) on my iPhone 3G, and can't figure out how to activate the street view. What am I missing?

You have to drop pin and instead of touching the right arrow you have to touch the person icon on the right
post #26 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You have to drop pin and instead of taping the right arrow you have to tap the person icon on the right

So Helpful Its about time the did this release !

post #27 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The problem is perception. Street View is available in a LOT of cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Street_View

I wouldn't be surprised if half the US population is covered by Street View, both their workplace and home, and Google is still adding cities.

I used it last week to find the name of an apartment I lived at 10 years ago that changed names. I had no luck finding the info using a typical search but Street View allowed me to see the name clearly since I knew the street it was on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Video recording still isn't there. I just feel that Apple should be clearing out the basic features before they start with the fluff. I'll play with Street View for a day or so, but that's it. And far as the emotioncons(sp)? WTF, really? OTA podcast will be cool and everyone could use a Safari fix, but this update just feel fluffy.

I can't imagine that is a hard feature to add, so I have to assume that Apple has no nterest in adding it at this time. Maybe well get an Nvidia ULV GPU in next one that can record HQ video.
post #28 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

You have to drop pin and instead of touching the right arrow you have to touch the person icon on the right

OK, so even though there is already a (red) pin on my search point, I have to drop another pin?

Whatever, OK, I dropped a (purple) pin. My person icon is on the left. When I tap it, nothing happens. Does that mean there is no street view of this location?

Edit: Never-mind, yes, it means there is no street view. (So much for downtown Ft. Lauderdale) I didn't realize my person icon was grayed out. Also, you don't have to dop a pin. The person icon seems to appear on a pin where street view is available.
post #29 of 234
Quote:

It hasen't striked you that maybe, only maybe, these forums may not be totally representative for all users of Apples products?

As for these enhancements - I'm very happy. And I just think people asking for copy-paste and MMS can go somewhere else.
post #30 of 234
I'm disappointed that the podcast download doesn't just sync the podcasts you are subscribed to in itunes. There is a podcast I regularly listen to that is not on itunes but I still subscribe to the RSS feed through itunes to make updates just as easy. Anyone have any idea of how to incorporate downloading non-itunes podcasts directly?

For some reason I was expecting this feature would behave like that of Mail and automatically transfer the appropriate server username/pass to be able to sync whatever feeds you are subscribed to.

I was able to do it with my jailbroken ipod touch but i restored it since I was having some stability issues that outweighed the direct download functionality.

Overall though I am very happy with this update. Everything seems much more stable so far!
post #31 of 234
Quote:
Apple has also released a similar update for iPod touch users, however the accounting principles adopted by the company require that it charge for 'new feature' additions to the digital media player.

Either this is an assumption, or Apple is retarded.

They were perfectly happy to add a new feature, podcast downloads, to the itunes store app already on the device, but adding street view to the maps app already on the device requires payment for "accounting purposes"?

Besides that, i don't believe the accounting excuses anyway even for actual new features. I've poured more than a few hundred dollars into apps movies and music purchased directly through my ipod touch and my desktop (movies). This isn't any different from the ATV and yet they may end up charging me for an update some day.

As someone else noted, they need to fire their accountants.
post #32 of 234
Is public transport and walking restricted to cities in the US?
post #33 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteveman1 View Post

Either this is an assumption, or Apple is retarded.

They were perfectly happy to add a new feature, podcast downloads, to the itunes store app already on the device, but adding street view to the maps app already on the device requires payment for "accounting purposes"?

Besides that, i don't believe the accounting excuses anyway even for actual new features. I've poured more than a few hundred dollars into apps movies and music purchased directly through my ipod touch and my desktop (movies). This isn't any different from the ATV and yet they may end up charging me for an update some day.

As someone else noted, they need to fire their accountants.

I agree that it is lame, but note that AppleTV is on the same GAAP accounting model that the iPhone uses.
post #34 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougc View Post

I'm disappointed that the podcast download doesn't just sync the podcasts you are subscribed to in itunes. There is a podcast I regularly listen to that is not on itunes but I still subscribe to the RSS feed through itunes to make updates just as easy. Anyone have any idea of how to incorporate downloading non-itunes podcasts directly?

The best way to handle this is contact the podcaster and tell them to submit it to Apple. Apple is very liberal when it comes to podcast going through iTunes. Why wouldn't the podcaster want to expand his/her market place!?

Check out the video podcast call, "Tiki Bar"... it a hoot!!!
post #35 of 234
Can anybody explain why Apple can offer free OS updates for their desktops and laptops without having to use GAAP accounting, but not the iPhone or iPod Touch? I don't see any difference whatsoever.
post #36 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

Video is a hardware issue. You wont see video capture at all officially on this.
post #37 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Can anybody explain why Apple can offer free OS updates for their desktops and laptops without having to use GAAP accounting, but not the iPhone or iPod Touch? I don't see any difference whatsoever.

The iPhone and Touch get free updates--v2.2 is free--but feature updates cost Touch users money. The AppleTV and iPhone use GAAP so their updates have never cost. OS X updates rarely add new features to a point update, but that still doesn't mean it's not BS.
post #38 of 234
Quote:

I second that! I am typing this messege i have typed numerous messeges on different forums that always crashed before and not only is it not crashing but it isnt lagging!!! Occassional little bit of key oard lag but hardly notice able. I typed this whole messege with my phone and no lag.... And i am in a phone call. No crash!
post #39 of 234
how is it that iPhone that have been jailbroken can do video capture? It uses the same hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Video is a hardware issue. You wont see video capture at all officially on this.
post #40 of 234
What Dreamcatcher? Thats not really video mate its lots of pics stitched together like basic animation. Thats why the frame rate is slow and choppy.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2