or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2 - Page 4

post #121 of 234
once you search an address and its found on the map. look to see if there is a little figure icon on the left of text. click on that icon and you will zoom in to see the street view.
post #122 of 234
how about the...

copy & damn paste?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
Reply
post #123 of 234
In cover flow any new podcasts you download appear after your last album cover with the podcast cover. Kind of lame and useless, but new.
post #124 of 234
The longer these Apple threads get the clearer the problems. But really does Apple need to be this hard headed?

Hey solipsism, The IT Crowd is on iTunes now...
I hope they launch the new season before summer, they were scheduled to started shooting last September so it is possible.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #125 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is some load of crap. You have 30 days to return it. If the buyers remorse was so great and so many were being returned then why did so many switch from 2G to 3G? Are you really saying that advertising is the main draw to the iPhone? That my use of the iPod and Safari is somehow just me being to daft that it's really the worst in its field, but I somehow can't tell because I saw an iPhone commercial?

I had to register and respond to this. I actually switched from my 2G to 3G not because it was so much greater. I actually dreaded having to do it, because $200 just for 3G and aGPS just made no sense to me. Anyhow, I had to stop using my iphone 2G because though I dropped it and everything still worked fine, I was getting GSM buzz from 5-10 feet away from speakers. I suspect my drop somehow grounded the GSM antenna circuitry to the metal case!

Anyways, I've decided to sell my iPhone 3G and cancel the AT&T contract. Mainly because AT&T's network is shoddy out here and the iPhone currently still does way too many handovers between 3G and EDGE IF I get a signal to begin with. There are other benefits, I'm going to prepaid, I figured if I spent $200 on a locked and closed product (though wonderfully executed) to a network that makes it impossible to fulfill it's first and foremost function, A PHONE, then I surely can spend a $100-$300 to get an unlocked phone contract free, with better coverage. Just my take on it though.

It's like my parents used to tell me, don't put all your eggs in one basket. The iPhone is a great product, but my experience in electronics (9+ years) has taught me that the more you try to combine products into one, it's almost exponential the increase in failure rate, and decrease in single function operation. Jack of all trades, master of none.

And finally, internet addiction is not cool. Disconnect every once and a while and enjoy the scenery and people around you! READ A BOOK! Just my humble two cents. :P
post #126 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Awful quality. On top of being probably only 5-7 fps (ROFL) it only shoots a few seconds at a time.

This is where everyone else is up to.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMiXYqhiPs

I appreciate that in some aspects iphone is way ahead of everyone else but when it comes to this it is still trying to make a wheel go round whilst everyone else is building cars by the day.

If recording videos with decent quality is a top priority for your smartphone then you truly must live off of YouTube.

Sorry, but that's not a top priority. Apple will target the Enterprise more and more, while extending useful, productive functionality and then when there is time they will improve their video recording features.

I wouldn't expect the big change until QuickTime X is released and Leopard is in the wild for general consumption.
post #127 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

Lets add features for 1% of our users and ignore the features that 99.99% have been publicly bashing us about not having.


Hmmmm, must be a PRO USE update then!

I mean, really, 1% is the user base for PRO's vs consumer right, so it must be for them/us.

Like for example, when the MACBOOK was not NVIDIA, it used to benchmark (starting) at 70%, then went to 120%, then 140%, then 170% and still didn't work well for games but then the PRO user found out you could run motion, so what did apple do? They released the X300 and it cut it all the way to 70%. Why? It only affected 1% of the market, so why bother? Well, apple wants their money and the PRO simple cannot use the MACBOOK.

Then, Apple releases the new MB and has great graphics - cool now MOTION, GAMES, OPENGL work awesome. Cool, Apple finally got it that the 1% that buys this doesn't really matter.


Oppps, wait, let's not include FIREWIRE (what audio/video pro's use, BUT OF COURSE) and screw the user again. This time though, mom, pop, dad, ma, and joe local guy are upset - they have cam corders and their iMovie won't work on a new machine and they are pissed.

Read Apple not selling as well as before (MACBOOKS), hopefully someday Apple will understand
a) If the pro has a MB, chances are they have a MBP or Mac Pro
b) 1% is not worth it to screw the general consumer - sorry but USB stinks, requires CPU overhead, is not as fast and USB 3 is a long way off, plus you can't daisy chain nor use it in target disc mode.

hmmm
post #128 of 234
the best solution is to "jailbreak" th phone and install "whatever" we feel like. give apple the microsoft medication then only they will learn. there are lots of smart ones out there who can bypass apple's shenanigans.
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
post #129 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

So far so good with the new update. Responsiveness is better and it hasn't dropped calls like it used to (still to early to tell). Safari improvements sound promising.

The new features a little disappointing, but hopefully next update will be better. Copy/paste is a big one for me too. I'd also really like to see access to the file system. A sandboxed system which doesn't allow access to the system or app files, but let users open, save, and share files, such as documents, music or graphic files, etc between apps would be awesome.

This morning I was really excited about safari. It seemed to be running a lot smoother and didn't crash on sites it normally crashes on for me. But... it still does crash... out of about 2 hours of usage it crashed once. Then after about 3 and 1/2 hours more it crashed a second time. So it is improved I will give apple that. Less lag and less crashes, but the crashes still exist. This will mask the problem though so now it will never be fully fixed because it isn't bad enough for a mass amount of people to complain. I wish it just worked. Anyway I do like the new update I just need copy/paste. I will give it until tax season to get copy/paste. Or I am getting a new phone.
post #130 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Yeah second that. Id like to see some actual samples. And not those 5pfs rubbish ones that dreamcatcher took.

Never seen video done with iPhone but you would think camera would be better - ever try to take a pix? The frame rate stinks - whole pix is chop chop choppy and you have to hold the camera like you are holding explosives just to get a good shot.

PS. Anyone ever notice when you hit the camera button it takes like 5 seconds to work then you get the STUPID pop up "CAMERA WANTS TO USE YOUR LOCATION" every time.

Is it better with update? Does the POP up still happen?
post #131 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine Engine View Post

The main reason it outsells other smartphones currently is due to smart advertising which causes hype whereby consumers see several people have it and it's advertised on several TV stations so it must be great. Then they get home and realize what it lacks but can't return it as they've exceeded their buyers remorse policy (ie: over 30 minutes usage, etc). There's also those consumers such as myself who are long time Apple customers that have hope that Apple will actually take the iPhone development seriously so as to compete in the global cellphone market. It would be interesting to know how many customers ask to return their iPhones to carriers stating they were dissatisfied with it's missing features. Though unfortunately wireless carriers don't release these churn numbers to the public.

The iPhone has the highest customer satisfaction rating of any phone on the market. And this is according to numerous surveys.
Sent from my iPhone
Reply
Sent from my iPhone
Reply
post #132 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

We have had VGA 30fps since years ago with the N93. Now we even have the cheap mid range LG phones shooting at 720 by 480. There is really no excuse these days .


Apple just screwing/toying with us so we can all go out and re-buy the newer iPhone with Video when it comes out.

Meanwhile, one of the strongest (Nukes) countries in the world, leader in education (still us, or US, or USA), here in California, we're lucky to have 1300kbps over an iPhone. Meanwhile, in Japan, no DRM, streaming TV wherever they go, streaming DVR like home.

The USA is in the dark ages and pathetically, we pay for DARK AGES technology compared to other countries. We should be able to shuttle independently from place to place let alone stream line video, television on our phones. No, we are to busy complaining about images with text. How pathetic is that.
post #133 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Interesting...


Yep, now that anyone can have a full-blown computer in their pocket for 200 bucks, the very nature of computing critiques will change. The ivory tower has been sieged and toppled.

SEE COMMENT about other countries and streaming VIDEO, TELEVISION, MOVIES while we still lack ability to attach image to text let alone video. Sure there are some providers with streaming video, but no REAL TIME television, news, cable as in other countries and with network speeds faster than most users cable/dsl. Heck my connection is faster than 92% of the country (USA) compared to most, but our networks have a long, long, L-O-N-G way to go.
post #134 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

It's a 200 entrance fee....the total cost is much more.

And pretty much everyone is me me me, it's just in the end, most of the me me me's end up being we we we's.

Yeah, sort of like Apple and Steve Jobs - LOL.

I kid you not, I was reading this book on business, phychology and it had a list of ten things to watch out for in "Bad Bosses" - for example, one said, "Watch out if someone says something negative about the competition and mocks them" and then listed nine (9) more. I love Apple products, (THANK YOU IVES) but every single one of them in the ten (10) reminded me of Steve Jobs - how sad is that. He's so paranoid. Anyone see the UNIBODY KEYNOTE? He watched everyone as they passed them around, like he was high on a paranoid benzo buzz and thought someone was going to steal one, he actually said, "Okay, times up, pass them back, you can see them later" - yeah, okay Jobs, like I really want to steal one.

Meanwhile, now that they use the same body for the most part, this means CHEAPER to mass produce but do we see that at the pump (store), of course not, we are paying a $750 premium for Express slot, Firewire, 2 inches, no matte option, what a deal. ha ha and Apple gets to pocket more money while the geniuses pull their hair (so I am told 7+ genius friends) that many machines (new) are DOA, no target mode for MB, harder to get to parts. Most go out anyway unless it's a simple HD swap --
Funny thing, you know how they say you might lose your info when repairing? Do you know that all they do is try and mount and that's it? If it doesn't mount, that's it, no special machine, no special recovery software, nothing, it either mounts or doesn't - no ability to swap out main board (on hard drive (which is possible)), either MOUNT or NOT, then it's SORRY, YOUR HD can't be recovered. Genius? Hmmm, can't most people do that with a mini enclosure from FRY's electronics for $30 dollars? Let alone $120 to tell you, SORRY, no can do.
post #135 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

By now you should realize that Apple is starting to piss off many of it's loyal customers. iPhone!??

I really am starting to think that Steve is losing it. He controls the marketing and development team like a dictator, screws around with every computer so if you do anything creative (remember when CREATIVE used to mean, Logic, FCP, Shake and not iLife), that it has to have the word "pro" in it, even though the technology and price points exist for less expensive and pro features (since when did firewire be a PRO only feature - oh, when the computer (Macbook new), could run MOTION, SHAKE, FCP with latest GPU.

Really. Steve is losing it if he hasn't already. Windows 7 looks strong and PRO's are getting pissed and for what its worth, the largest Avid school (Avid used for feature film, television, trailers, commercials creation), in Burbank went from MACS to PC's a few years ago. Faster machines, more scalable, cheaper ram, and some PRO's are moving away from it every so slightly - this is why Steve focuses on coffee Joe and no longer the creative. Thing is, switchers are NOT loyal like lifer mac users and will abandon if Steve keeps doing things like no FIREWIRE in Macbooks, DRM content, DRM computers (can't watch movies on any monitor except Apple (new) with new macbook.

Steve is making a lot of mistakes and while many uninformed like to say HA HA at windows and blue screen, if you look at how many people, developers Microsoft has to deal with (3rd party), they do pretty good when you compare that with 3rd party iPhone) and Apple can't even get PUSH mail to work yet.

He's making a lot of mistakes and now with the consumer. If not careful and windows 7 comes out strong, these switchers will go back and Apple will be at 3% someday (again) and then the 1% PRO user base may make up 33% once again and dictate what Apple needs to do.

Sad that Apple went from trying to get the G5 up in speed to cutting firewire, sill iPhone updates and #1 priority, a glossy non graphic user iMac and iPods for the masses.

Shame.
post #136 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutts View Post

The emoji work really well in email (and SMS) but seeminly only to and from other Softbank users - I couldn't get my AU and Docomo-using friends to see them, and nor can I see theirs still. Come on Apple/Softbank, sort it out, this is something *every* Japanese phone can do!

Anybody else had any luck with cross-network emoji?

By the way, the Apple documentation states that you're only allowed to send emoji if your SIM is a Softbank SIM: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2404


I'm just jealous you guys got your phones. I went in today and couldn't because my name on my Gaijin card doesn't exactly match my name on my credit card. Freakin' pain in the tukus. And there's no way I'm paying $800 up front for the phone.
post #137 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I really am starting to think that Steve is losing it. He controls the marketing and development team like a dictator, screws around with every computer so if you do anything creative (remember when CREATIVE used to mean, Logic, FCP, Shake and not iLife), that it has to have the word "pro" in it, even though the technology and price points exist for less expensive and pro features (since when did firewire be a PRO only feature - oh, when the computer (Macbook new), could run MOTION, SHAKE, FCP with latest GPU.

Really. Steve is losing it if he hasn't already. Windows 7 looks strong and PRO's are getting pissed and for what its worth, the largest Avid school (Avid used for feature film, television, trailers, commercials creation), in Burbank went from MACS to PC's a few years ago. Faster machines, more scalable, cheaper ram, and some PRO's are moving away from it every so slightly - this is why Steve focuses on coffee Joe and no longer the creative. Thing is, switchers are NOT loyal like lifer mac users and will abandon if Steve keeps doing things like no FIREWIRE in Macbooks, DRM content, DRM computers (can't watch movies on any monitor except Apple (new) with new macbook.

Steve is making a lot of mistakes and while many uninformed like to say HA HA at windows and blue screen, if you look at how many people, developers Microsoft has to deal with (3rd party), they do pretty good when you compare that with 3rd party iPhone) and Apple can't even get PUSH mail to work yet.

He's making a lot of mistakes and now with the consumer. If not careful and windows 7 comes out strong, these switchers will go back and Apple will be at 3% someday (again) and then the 1% PRO user base may make up 33% once again and dictate what Apple needs to do.

Sad that Apple went from trying to get the G5 up in speed to cutting firewire, sill iPhone updates and #1 priority, a glossy non graphic user iMac and iPods for the masses.

Shame.

Are you mentally retarded. Please take your medication or electric shock before posting.
post #138 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not only were we too stupid to return it in the alloted time, we were doubly stupid to be taken in by slick but empty advertising. \

The two of you apparently missed the posters point or you understood it but chose to divert the argument.

When someone makes a purchase with high expectations or 'emotional involvement' (aka fanboy) then the OP is correct, they will justify that purchase shortly after making it even if it's not what they expected or needed. If you don't think marketing has something to do with that psychology then you are too stupid.
post #139 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

If you bought an iPhone but it did not provide all of the features you really want with the assumption that Apple would include them later. If you feel pissed because those features have no come about, ultimately its your fault.

Although it was months ago that cut copy and paste was publicly acknowledged as being a 'feature' (I can't believe I even need to call it that) was on the list of things to do. But that was months and months ago, was street view really higher on that list? I mean really, defending them on this is futile, it's not really a feature, it should have been there out of the box or in an update soon after the original launch.
post #140 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishan View Post

So far running well on my iPod Touch. Can't say that I notice any significant improvements in anything. But nothing seems to have been broken either.

My wife has noticed an improvement in the smoothness of Mail in Japanese, and she could read mail from one of her friends for the first time (can't recall the service she uses). A test mail of emoji to a friend who uses Docomo showed that they cannot (as of now) be sent to phones other than than SoftBank phones. Hopefully, that will come soon. The wife also noticed that two apps she had had trouble with now work fine.

I think a big part of this update was working out kinks in some of the smaller markets; someone above complained that Apple released a function or a very small number of users, but it is that group that has had to be very patient with various problems while the major kinks for most users were ironed out.

Still wish they would add a Japanese character recognition function; have a Japanese dictionary installed that uses the Chinese keyboard with pretty good success.

Street view is a nice addition, but where we live it will be some time before any images are added.

Finally, for the first time since we bought our phones several month ago, my wife's phone doesn't drop calls from mine, especially when she is at our home. It was so bad I gave up an would just send her email or call her on our land line. My phone didn't have the same problem if she called me, which was odd.

Overall, a 0.1 update and a good one, I think. A few of the bigger items of many people's wish-lists will likely come in the next major upgrade in January, and that will have a paid upgrade for Touch users.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #141 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Although it was months ago that cut copy and paste was publicly acknowledged as being a 'feature' (I can't believe I even need to call it that) was on the list of things to do. But that was months and months ago, was street view really higher on that list? I mean really, defending them on this is futile, it's not really a feature, it should have been there out of the box or in an update soon after the original launch.

I agree that they should have anticipated the desire bettet, but your posts seems to assume that the time and complexity to create a systemwide copy/paste for touchscreen with one button is on par with coding Street View on Maps to parse the already available Street View on Google Maps.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #142 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree that they should have anticipated the desire bettet, but your posts seems to assume that the time and complexity to create a systemwide copy/paste for touchscreen with one button is on par with coding Street View on Maps to parse the already available Street View on Google Maps.

I'm a software engineer, I understand and agree that some things are easier to implement than others. However, we are going on 18 months that the iPhone has been out. I would be willing to bet that they already know how to implement it from a UI standpoint, I really don't think that is a problem for them. The original design/structure of the software may be the real issue.

I won't drag on with this, it's a push-pull argument and it's not a feature that will stop sales like it did in Japan with the emoticons but they have found was of dealing with tougher problems in quicker fashion at 1 Infinite Loop.
post #143 of 234
The app Zeptopad has cut & paste.

I my ordinary usage of the phone for work (preparing classes, planning meetings, planning projects, studying Japanese, taking photos et, etc) I have not once wished to have cut & paste. I would much rather have some other features that Apple is slowly working on, like stable mail and net browsing and fewer dropped calls. The lack of cut & paste does not seem to have been a deal-stopper to the millions who have bought the phones.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #144 of 234
I read a few posts that people are having problems accessing the App store on their iPhones now with 2.2? Is that still happening for people? I'm holding off on the upgrade until any potential problems are vetted out.

What are you guys/gals seeing?
post #145 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I really am starting to think that Steve is losing it. He controls the marketing and development team like a dictator, screws around with every computer so if you do anything creative (remember when CREATIVE used to mean, Logic, FCP, Shake and not iLife), that it has to have the word "pro" in it, even though the technology and price points exist for less expensive and pro features (since when did firewire be a PRO only feature - oh, when the computer (Macbook new), could run MOTION, SHAKE, FCP with latest GPU.

Really. Steve is losing it if he hasn't already. Windows 7 looks strong and PRO's are getting pissed and for what its worth, the largest Avid school (Avid used for feature film, television, trailers, commercials creation), in Burbank went from MACS to PC's a few years ago. Faster machines, more scalable, cheaper ram, and some PRO's are moving away from it every so slightly - this is why Steve focuses on coffee Joe and no longer the creative. Thing is, switchers are NOT loyal like lifer mac users and will abandon if Steve keeps doing things like no FIREWIRE in Macbooks, DRM content, DRM computers (can't watch movies on any monitor except Apple (new) with new macbook.

Steve is making a lot of mistakes and while many uninformed like to say HA HA at windows and blue screen, if you look at how many people, developers Microsoft has to deal with (3rd party), they do pretty good when you compare that with 3rd party iPhone) and Apple can't even get PUSH mail to work yet.

He's making a lot of mistakes and now with the consumer. If not careful and windows 7 comes out strong, these switchers will go back and Apple will be at 3% someday (again) and then the 1% PRO user base may make up 33% once again and dictate what Apple needs to do.

Sad that Apple went from trying to get the G5 up in speed to cutting firewire, sill iPhone updates and #1 priority, a glossy non graphic user iMac and iPods for the masses.

Shame.

Clearly you're the expert. What's the name of the company you own again?
post #146 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowabs View Post

how about the...

copy & damn paste?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Copy and paste may never come to the iPhone. And you knew it wasn't a feature of the phone when you purchased it. If you can't live without copy & paste, shop elsewhere.
post #147 of 234
Ok I'm not sure if this has always been here but it looks like Apple expanded the way in which it gathers rating data for Apps. I went to delete an icon off of a iPhone 2.2 screen and I was prompted to "star" vote on the App. Never saw that before so I think its new!!
post #148 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Copy and paste may never come to the iPhone. And you knew it wasn't a feature of the phone when you purchased it. If you can't live without copy & paste, shop elsewhere.

It's funny you said that. I hope your not in charge of business decisions wherever you work. Just shop elsewhere is a great attitude for a company.

The thing is when I got the phone it was ahead of the curve and what it does do it does well. The problem is the rest if the market is catching up and others options are emerging, this means those not locked in contract will be bleeding away from the I-phone when they get sick of not getting what they want. The onle reason Apple isn't concerned right now is the fact that almost everyone is still locked in and won't/can't jump ship.

It's coming and I promise you people will remember how Apple handled things when considering future purchases. You don't keep market share pulling crap like this.
post #149 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Seriously what is wrong with Apple? This update list is trash save for the Safari and E-mail 'FIXES'. Google street view? Who cares????

Lets add features for 1% of our users and ignore the features that 99.99% have been publicly bashing us about not having.

People bash on Microsoft for bloatware and useless features all the time but at least out of the 100 useless things they add to their products the core elements are there that I need.

So how long do we wait for the 2.3 Update so we can find out nothing we want has been added?

stop bitching. if you bought the phone thinking they'll add features, so its okay to buy, you're not that logical a consumer. there are other phones out there, buy them

I'm perfectly happy with the iphone. the new update has some damned nice features too. the rest of you quit bitching, and email apple if you want more features. apple does not "owe" you any features though... so stop being self-righteous and troll-like.
post #150 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

It's funny you said that. I hope your not in charge of business decisions wherever you work. Just shop elsewhere is a great attitude for a company.

If you don't like the product, you should shop someplace else. I knew the iPhone didn't have copy & paste when I purchased it, but I bought it for the features it DID have. If MMS was a must have for me, I would have chosen a different phone - rather than buy it and cry about it.
post #151 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

It's funny you said that. I hope your not in charge of business decisions wherever you work. Just shop elsewhere is a great attitude for a company.

The thing is when I got the phone it was ahead of the curve and what it does do it does well. The problem is the rest if the market is catching up and others options are emerging, this means those not locked in contract will be bleeding away from the I-phone when they get sick of not getting what they want. The onle reason Apple isn't concerned right now is the fact that almost everyone is still locked in and won't/can't jump ship.

It's coming and I promise you people will remember how Apple handled things when considering future purchases. You don't keep market share pulling crap like this.

oy! while the iphone isn't perfect... lambasting it doesn't have much point. we aren't CEO's or in charge of the B-dir at apple. if we were, we'd be making things better... but I'm sure there are issues you haven't considered. if the world were that simple, shit would have happened already.
also, if you're so upset, apply to apple, get a job, and change things.
post #152 of 234
This thread is a typical iPhone thread, and it's a serious indication to what's in store for Apple if they don't change their attitude. I was watching c'nets podcast yesterday and again one of the callers, a mac user, was asking for what new PC he should buy because he didn't appreciate the way Apple was handling things, such as the omission of the FW in the new MB. Now you can bring all your fanboy reasonings, but the bottom line is that many people are upset, not because they are whiners but because they aren't getting the things they need even after paying Apple's premium price. Apple had this attitude back in the early 90's, and by the mid 90's they lost everything, their education market fell from well over 80% to a measly 10% and less.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #153 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Now you can bring all your fanboy reasonings, but the bottom line is that many people are upset, not because they are whiners but because they aren't getting the things they need even after paying Apple's premium price.Apple had this attitude back in the early 90's, and by the mid 90's they lost everything, their education market fell from well over 80% to a measly 10% and less.

Define many? a dozen people complaining is too many too me, but when compared to the 2M units Apple will sell this quarter your many may just a few whiners that don't affect Apple's bottom line.

You they are will willing to pay Apple's "premium price" but then fail to mention the MBP, iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro with FW, as well as the MB for $999. There are plenty of options for those who want a Mac and want/need FireWire. You aren't helping your argument by only focusing on the few that want FW on a MB that has a new case. You can't deny that those people are a very, very small percentage of Apple's user base.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #154 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

oy! while the iphone isn't perfect... lambasting it doesn't have much point. we aren't CEO's or in charge of the B-dir at apple. if we were, we'd be making things better... but I'm sure there are issues you haven't considered. if the world were that simple, shit would have happened already.
also, if you're so upset, apply to apple, get a job, and change things.

I have a job, obviously you missed the post where I stated I am a developer. I also have money that Apple needs but can easily be spent elsewhere. So far all the people calling us whiners and backing up what apple is doing sound like fanboys. By definition it makes sense that you guys would try to make apple seem like they are doing everything right... Afterall you will buy anything apple sells and be perfectly happy with what they give you without a single glance at what others are providing. Unfortunately I don't live in fantasy land where apple (or anyone for that matter) makes a perfect product.

As stated above this is exactly the attitude of Apple when they needed rescued once before. Who is going to save them from Steve Jobs?
post #155 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

This thread is a typical iPhone thread, and it's a serious indication to what's in store for Apple if they don't change their attitude. I was watching c'nets podcast yesterday and again one of the callers, a mac user, was asking for what new PC he should buy because he didn't appreciate the way Apple was handling things, such as the omission of the FW in the new MB. Now you can bring all your fanboy reasonings, but the bottom line is that many people are upset, not because they are whiners but because they aren't getting the things they need even after paying Apple's premium price. Apple had this attitude back in the early 90's, and by the mid 90's they lost everything, their education market fell from well over 80% to a measly 10% and less.

the minority tend to be most vocal. apple's sales are much higher than the %%% of people complaining would indicate.
post #156 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

I have a job, obviously you missed the post where I stated I am a developer. I also have money that Apple needs but can easily be spent elsewhere. So far all the people calling us whiners and backing up what apple is doing sound like fanboys. By definition it makes sense that you guys would try to make apple seem like they are doing everything right... Afterall you will buy anything apple sells and be perfectly happy with what they give you without a single glance at what others are providing. Unfortunately I don't live in fantasy land where apple (or anyone for that matter) makes a perfect product.

As stated above this is exactly the attitude of Apple when they needed rescued once before. Who is going to save them from Steve Jobs?

I am a developer as well. Not saying you didn't have a job, just saying change it instead of whining.

I'll admit that I do like apple products, but you're insisting that the iPhone "should have X and Y" makes no sense. the iPhone could indeed be better if it had X or Y (most likely), but the doom and gloom you are proposing isn't happening. If you're a stock holder (as I am), you have a right to object to a lack of feature that is causing Apple to lose money. But honestly, I don't think apple is losing too much money over the iPhone's lack of copy/paste. furthermore... if you are not a stock holder... stop bitching.

as you said, no one makes a perfect product. so PLEASE stop yelling for apple to make one. you're asking for the impossible.
post #157 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I'm a software engineer, I understand and agree that some things are easier to implement than others. However, we are going on 18 months that the iPhone has been out. I would be willing to bet that they already know how to implement it from a UI standpoint, I really don't think that is a problem for them. The original design/structure of the software may be the real issue.

I won't drag on with this, it's a push-pull argument and it's not a feature that will stop sales like it did in Japan with the emoticons but they have found was of dealing with tougher problems in quicker fashion at 1 Infinite Loop.

indeed 18 months is a long time, but satisfying Jobs is... difficult. I've heard horror stories of engineers bringing products to Jobs and he goes through the multi-hundred-page UE doc and tests random use cases (if not all of them).... if one use case is implemented wrong, he sends it back.

take that attitude, and I doubt that he'll accept a UE if it isn't perfect by his standards. also, we're talking not only gestures for copy/paste but also selection/highlighting... and there is only so much real estate on that screen (god forbid the iphone adopt a toolbar like IE)
post #158 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't imagine that is a hard feature to add, so I have to assume that Apple has no nterest in adding it at this time. Maybe well get an Nvidia ULV GPU in next one that can record HQ video.

I thought there was a hardware issue with the camera that prevented video? In which case true (and Job's approved) video probably wont make it until next generation.
post #159 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

He's making a lot of mistakes and now with the consumer. If not careful and windows 7 comes out strong, these switchers will go back and Apple will be at 3% someday (again) and then the 1% PRO user base may make up 33% once again and dictate what Apple needs to do.

Sad that Apple went from trying to get the G5 up in speed to cutting firewire, sill iPhone updates and #1 priority, a glossy non graphic user iMac and iPods for the masses.

Shame.

wow. you've posted 5000 times between june and november. I'm impressed.

anyways, the UI is what matters. apple will kill windows on that for a long time coming. windows 7 looks pretty, but that's about it. vista took a step backwards on usability from XP, and I doubt windows 7 will be able to make a jump much further than XP in terms of UI.

and yes, apple is no longer solely catering to the PRO consumer. so be it. the more people who use Apple computers the more developers will code to the mac platform instead of just windows. yes, 5 years ago apple was targeting the pro department. but 5 years ago it took 2 years for windows-coded software to come out for mac... and even then it tended to be a poor port. I much prefer now to then.

Also, while a few PRO users use computers like the macbook, the vast majority do not (and opt for a one pound heavier macbook pro with far greater graphics power).
post #160 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Steve is making a lot of mistakes and while many uninformed like to say HA HA at windows and blue screen, if you look at how many people, developers Microsoft has to deal with (3rd party), they do pretty good when you compare that with 3rd party iPhone) and Apple can't even get PUSH mail to work yet.

yes, because windows codes everything perfectly the first time. christ. if that isn't a double standard I don't know what one is. anyways, push email isn't that easy without compromising battery life. and furthermore, apple is new to the PUSH world... vs the giants who have been out there for years.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2