or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple stock surges on belief MacBooks "peel away" Windows users
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple stock surges on belief MacBooks "peel away" Windows users

post #1 of 82
Thread Starter 
Investors returned to Apple shares in force on Monday and sent the stock climbing a massive 12.5 percent after reports said Apple was likely to profit on a wave of converts to its new aluminum MacBooks.

A research note by investment analyst Yair Reiner of Oppenheimer & Co. set the blueprint for the dramatic $10.37 gain in Apple's stock over the trading day as he believed the new, unibody designs and their built-in media features were enough to attract a fresh round of buyers and persuade Reiner to raise his estimates for Apple's earnings per share during the holiday season's quarter from $1.36 to $1.39.

The one-piece metal design is alluring enough that it should "continue to peel away users from the Windows mold" despite many either being short on cash or just hesitant to buy in the current climate, he says.

In turn, JP Morgan's Mark Moskowitz was more aggressive still, boosting his own valuation from a cautious $1.29 per share to $1.38 based on the same predictions of strong performance for the MacBook line.

Both researchers are nonetheless cautious and still expect a downturn. JP Morgan and Oppenheimer alike lowered their estimates for iPhone sales, while Moskowitz has also downplayed expectations for iPods despite the usual spike in sales that comes with holiday shopping.

The launch is helped in no small part by news of additional US government aid for Citigroup, which helped the entire Dow Jones surge about $397 in Monday trading. Nonetheless, early sales data also supports the claims, with October Mac sales spiking by 28 percent in October despite the new MacBook and MacBook Pro only being made available for sale during the last half of the month.

Separately, one researcher speaking to AppleInsider has also estimated that Apple could easily blow past expectations for the quarter based on the hidden value of its deferred revenue from iPhones and a likely better-than-anticipated performance for the Mac.
post #2 of 82
Oppenheimer & Co, ahem.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #3 of 82
While I'm glad to read a positive note about the new MacBook sales as Apple-based forums are inundated with a "sky is falling" attitude from the loss of FW400 (despite my feelings that this is Apple's best MB ever), the market jump today leads me to believe that any news about Apple notebooks had little to no effect on its surge.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #4 of 82
The most manipulated stock I've ever seen. The shorters are getting ready to short this stock in a few days. I am taking my gain and I'm out.

It won't matter how well Apple sells anymore.
post #5 of 82
I could have told these investors ages ago the laptops would sell like hot cakes. It's not rocket science, why are these stupid investors surprised? why is anyone surprised!
post #6 of 82
APL has been tracking the DJIA for a while now. See the chart below.

Today was just a bullish day for all the stocks in the DJIA, and Apple fared accordingly.
The speculation that the stock went up because an analyst said MacBooks will steal market share is just BS.

post #7 of 82
Quote:
The one-piece metal design is alluring enough that it should "continue to peel away users from the Windows mold" despite many either being short on cash or just hesitant to buy in the current climate, he says.

In turn, JP Morgan's Mark Moskowitz was more aggressive still, boosting his own valuation from a cautious $1.29 per share to $1.38 based on the same predictions of strong performance for the MacBook line.

Well, Good morning.. had a goodnight sleep?!
post #8 of 82
Meanwhile... Microsoft's marketshare slowly starts slipping away...
post #9 of 82
I'm not sure I agree about the reason for Apple's stock price jump. It's following exactly the same trend as the NASDAQ as a whole. I would say the explanation given in this article has nothing to do with it.
post #10 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post

APL has been tracking the DJIA for a while now. See the chart below.

Today was just a bullish day for all the stocks in the DJIA, and Apple fared accordingly.
The speculation that the stock went up because an analyst said MacBooks will steal market share is just BS.

Frumious BS
post #11 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

I'm not sure I agree about the reason for Apple's stock price jump. It's following exactly the same trend as the NASDAQ as a whole. I would say the explanation given in this article has nothing to do with it.

Agree with you 100%, almost every stock was up today but Apple is gaining market share like crazy from laptop users though, Most people are ether buying macbooks or netbooks that don't even run windows, just look at Amazon top seller under laptops and you will see
post #12 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

Meanwhile... Microsoft's marketshare slowly starts slipping away...

Slowly.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Agree with you 100%, almost every stock was up today but Apple is gaining market share like crazy from laptop users though, Most people are ether buying macbooks or netbooks that don't even run windows, just look at Amazon top seller under laptops and you will see

But they can install Windows if they choose to. While their is no way of telling the reason for the Windows purchases except to look at some anecdotal replies at Amazon, Windows is topping the software charts at #1 and #2. OS X Leopard is #9, VM Ware Fusion 2 is #19 and Parallels #87. There is no evidence to support how these VMs are being used or how many buy netbooks or Macs to use with illegally downloaded versions of Windows, so all the numbers are a bit moot, but I did find the Fusion number to be much higher than I would have expected, which bodes well for Macs being used by switchers.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #14 of 82
It was a up day for stocks all around and the news that Apple is expected to get more sales from the new MacBooks is not surprising given the fact I even helped Apple by buying a MacBook on Friday.

Now I have to go back to the Apple store and see if they will price match the $100.00 sale that Best Buy is having.....
post #15 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeske View Post

Now I have to go back to the Apple store and see if they will price match the $100.00 sale that Best Buy is having.....

They won't, but using a student discount is better than the Best Buy discount in all or almost all cases. I think even Amazon is better as you probably won't have to pay tax and they tend to offer discounts.

PS: Does anyone else who buys Macs or other PCs refuse the damn printer that is always offered? I always get the strangest looks for not wanting the printer.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #16 of 82
I call b-s on the attribution of some firm-specific event for AAPL's share price move. With a Beta of 2+, AAPL would be expected to move, on average, 2+% for every 1% change in the S&P.

The S&P went up 6.5% percentage points today. So, AAPL came out just about even.
post #17 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post

APL has been tracking the DJIA for a while now. See the chart below.

Nice two day chart!
post #18 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post

APL has been tracking the DJIA for a while now. See the chart below.

Today was just a bullish day for all the stocks in the DJIA, and Apple fared accordingly.
The speculation that the stock went up because an analyst said MacBooks will steal market share is just BS.

Agreed. BS report, just following market trends.
post #19 of 82
Its funny how people don't follow market trends when the stock is down.

They will argue the stock is down because the iPhone doesn't have copy and paste or the Apple is killing firewire, or whatever other gripe people have with Apple.

In reality you look across the market and everybody's down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkExpensive View Post

Agreed. BS report, just following market trends.
post #20 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its funny how people don't follow market trends when the stock is down.

They will argue the stock is down because the iPhone doesn't have copy and paste or the Apple is killing firewire, or whatever other gripe people have with Apple.

In reality you look across the market and everybody's down.

Well said, I just have to laugh at some of the reasoning on this board sometimes.
post #21 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post

APL has been tracking the DJIA for a while now. See the chart below.

Today was just a bullish day for all the stocks in the DJIA, and Apple fared accordingly.
The speculation that the stock went up because an analyst said MacBooks will steal market share is just BS.


Absolutely right. Anyone thick enough to credit an analyst's statement for today's rise has no business commenting.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #22 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its funny how people don't follow market trends when the stock is down.

They will argue the stock is down because the iPhone doesn't have copy and paste or the Apple is killing firewire, or whatever other gripe people have with Apple.

In reality you look across the market and everybody's down.

This is the reality of today's marketplace, where irrationality is the norm. When the market settles in a few years, we'll be back to the "regular" irrational AAPL stock rises and dips.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #23 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Slowly.

... but surely ...
post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkExpensive View Post

Agreed. BS report, just following market trends.


How about reporting on the new Safari update and the 4,000 posts to Apple's website looking for help.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ource=rss_news

Apple continues to put out beta software and is using us to test it for them.

Give me a break 4,000+ users looking for help and Apple doesn't even bother to put out why the update was put out today.

MS/Apple what's the difference these days!
post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

How about reporting on the new Safari update and the 4,000 posts to Apple's website looking for help.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ource=rss_news

Apple continues to put out beta software and is using us to test it for them.

Give me a break 4,000+ users looking for help and Apple doesn't even bother to put out why the update was put out today.

MS/Apple what's the difference these days!

cheese curds. One has them, the other doesn't. You pick.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #26 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

cheese curds. One has them, the other doesn't. You pick.

Well I have an MS XP laptop because I'm in the business world.

Steve is still playing with games and tantrums.

Edit.
Made the mistake of thinking that Apple was going to put out a business phone and start listening to consumers and not just Steve.

My mistake.

Good part is I'll have plenty to choose from.
post #27 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Does anyone else who buys Macs or other PCs refuse the damn printer that is always offered? I always get the strangest looks for not wanting the printer.

Does it cost anything extra? If it involves a rebate, then I wouldn't necessarily want it but I don't think I'd refuse it in a bundle if I don't save anything by dropping it. I've never had a situation like that, but even if I don't use printers, I wouldn't mind having one in case it turns out to be useful for some odd reason or another. Or just take it and give it away.

Though maybe my perceptions are colored, I do remember times I almost didn't need one at all, but came handy enough to justify keeping one around. The part that might color might comments is that I do have five printers that are used on a near daily basis, three more are occasional use. Kind of a long story, though three of them are shared.
post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

cheese curds. One has them, the other doesn't. You pick.

You know cheese curds? They squeak when you chew... 2 Februarys in Marshfield WI.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
Reply
post #29 of 82
Yup I agree this is BS:
AAPL: up 12.56%
S: up 28.65%
GM: up 17.32%
GOOG: Down 1.9%
MSFT: up 5.13%
YHOO: up 8.73%
T: up 6.95%

So Apple gained like everyone else, almost.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Well I have an MS XP laptop because I'm in the business world.

Steve is still playing with games and tantrums.

Edit.
Made the mistake of thinking that Apple was going to put out a business phone and start listening to consumers and not just Steve.

My mistake.

Good part is I'll have plenty to choose from.

I too have a Dell, it works just fine, runs Vista. Works great for windows development, is solid. No issues. But my MBP is just hot sexy and what I come home to after work. Ahh, bliss.
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
:-D * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Reply
post #31 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They won't, but using a student discount is better than the Best Buy discount in all or almost all cases. I think even Amazon is better as you probably won't have to pay tax and they tend to offer discounts.

PS: Does anyone else who buys Macs or other PCs refuse the damn printer that is always offered? I always get the strangest looks for not wanting the printer.

I refused the printer as I already have three printers and did need another one. I get a military discount from the Apple store (I am retired Air Force and they give a discount on both the iMac and the MacBook) but the ad never reflected a military or student discount just a hundred dollars off on the machine.
post #32 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericblr View Post

Meanwhile... Microsoft's marketshare slowly starts slipping away...

In fairness to Microsoft, there is a shift for one because of the 'Vista' issues but independent hardware manufacturers who are producing laptops have dropped the ball in relation to design.If anything, design is worse now as they cut manufacturing costs in the short term strategy of higher dividends and better share prices.
post #33 of 82
Speaking of gains in the mac notebook segment...I just returned from the SC08 conference. This is a computing conference where Apple, unlike Dell Hp and MS, has no official presence (supercomputing). 90% of the 10,000 attendees had notebooks and Apple was almost certainly the most represented brand. I took a few samples during slow presentations and estimate that 30-40% of all the notebooks were macs. A fair number of the new models and airs too, even though people in this segment tend to go for pro models. Dell was probably number two, but it is just sooo sad to see the grey plastic Dell corporate brick sitting next to Apples various gorgeous models. Also saw a large number of mac pros driving displays on the exhibition floor, and a number of imacs deployed in quasi-kiosk mode. I know its never going to be a big profit center for them, but i have to think it would have been well worth the money to set up a booth in the exhibit hall even as pure advertising.
post #34 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Absolutely right. Anyone thick enough to credit an analyst's statement for today's rise has no business commenting.

And probably shouldn't be playing the market, either.
post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its funny how people don't follow market trends when the stock is down.

They will argue the stock is down because the iPhone doesn't have copy and paste or the Apple is killing firewire, or whatever other gripe people have with Apple.

In reality you look across the market and everybody's down.

Not directed at anybody in particular:
Exactly, that's why, with the market where it's at, and also, how secure Apple is, this is a great time for those with resources. The market will come back, and thus APPL HOLDERS will benefit.
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
[center] "Hey look, it's in the center. I am SO cool!"[/center]
Reply
post #36 of 82
Im just not seeing this...


__________
iPhone, iPod
Reply
iPhone, iPod
Reply
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandau View Post

I too have a Dell, it works just fine, runs Vista. Works great for windows development, is solid. No issues. But my MBP is just hot sexy and what I come home to after work. Ahh, bliss.

I have a MBP. Works great for Mac, Windows, and Linux development at the same time. Emulators are a godsend.

Tried Vista, had about 2 or 3 blue screens while applying the 100 odd updates after I installed it. Finally got it all up to date, just to find out that some of the software I use still isn't supported. So now I need to repeat the process again with XP. Fun times.
 
Reply
 
Reply
post #38 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

... but surely ...

Don't call me Shirley.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #39 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You know cheese curds? They squeak when you chew... 2 Februarys in Marshfield WI.

That's because of the curdish mice.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #40 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

...PS: Does anyone else who buys Macs or other PCs refuse the damn printer that is always offered? I always get the strangest looks for not wanting the printer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Does it cost anything extra? If it involves a rebate, then I wouldn't necessarily want it but I don't think I'd refuse it in a bundle if I don't save anything by dropping it. ...

It doesn't cost you cash, but it isn't completely free. They want your personal information, and are willing to give you a free printer in exchange for it. Not worth it to me, so I either turn it down or see if someone else wants to "do the deal". And of course the printer manufacturers want you to get locked into buying their profit-generating cartridges, but that's another story...
No Matte == No Sale :-(
Reply
No Matte == No Sale :-(
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple stock surges on belief MacBooks "peel away" Windows users