or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Lacie external hard drive partition will not mount

Lacie external hard drive partition will not mount

post #1 of 5
HELP. I am on macbook pro and formatted my Lacie OS Extended (Journaled) creating three partitions. One partition now will not mount at all, it doesn't show up on the desktop--the other two are fine. I ran disk utility which showed the missing partition but could not repair it and showed this message:
" Invalid B-tree node size
Volume check failed."

Advice, please?
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilia718 View Post

HELP. I am on macbook pro and formatted my Lacie OS Extended (Journaled) creating three partitions. One partition now will not mount at all, it doesn't show up on the desktop--the other two are fine. I ran disk utility which showed the missing partition but could not repair it and showed this message:
" Invalid B-tree node size
Volume check failed."

Advice, please?

I had a somewhat similar problem. The partition was grayed out in Disk Utility. If memory serves, I highlighted the partition and clicked on "mount" in the menu bar several times. In between clicking on "Mount", I would highlight something else but come back to the grayed out partition. Eventually, the partition mounted and I had no more trouble with it. It seemed that I just had to get its attention. Of course, your problem may not be the same as mine. Good luck.
ADS
ADS
post #3 of 5
Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I recently got a LaCie with 2 partitions, one is just a small partition with Windows formatting in case I need to copy something over to a work PC.

I formatted the main portion of the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and kept a small partition formatted with FAT32 for Windows access.

It has been working fine until this morning. I had been using it on one laptop, and then switched it back to my MacBook Pro. But when I tried to eject the disc, it said it was in use and couldn't be ejected. I closed all applications and it still said it was in use. I admittedly very stupidly unplugged it (in a big hurry) and plugged it back into my other computer.

Now only the FAT32 partition appears on my desktop (several minutes after I plug it in, which is a LOT longer than it used to be) but the Apple partition won't mount.

I've run disk utility on it but it won't repair or verify successfully, and gives the following errors:
Verifying volume "LaCie"
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Invalid leaf record count

(It should be 1733 instead of 1728)
Checking Catalog file.

Incorrect block count for file 000000000005b317

(It should be 2 instead of 0) and it goes on like this for a whole string of block counts, the last one being:

Incorrect block count for file live.2.shadowIndexTermIds

(It should be 119 instead of 0)

Invalid index key

The volume LaCie needs to be repaired.
Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.
Can anyone tell me what to do to get it back?? I have a ton of super-important and time-sensitive data on there that I haven't had time to back up yet.

Any help is much appreciated.
post #4 of 5
I always used to use Diskwarrior to fix these kind of issues, worked every time (apart from one, but that computer had so many more problems and it did partially fix).

Diskwarrior will also let you mount the drive to backup any critically important files before attempting to fix it, which is really useful.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

(There might be some other cheaper solutions or even a Terminal method, but I don't think DW will fail you if you're desperate).
post #5 of 5
You may receive this type of error message due to following reasons
  • Power supply is insufficient.
  • USB hard drive may be damaged.
  • You may also face this kind of error message due to using bad USB cable.
In order to fix this issue you need to make use of lacie drive recovery application. It helps to fix all the corruption issue related to damaged lacie drive and makes it accessible.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Genius Bar
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Lacie external hard drive partition will not mount