or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia leans on new N97 as best hope for an iPhone rival
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nokia leans on new N97 as best hope for an iPhone rival - Page 4

post #121 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrmac View Post

Very Interesting - Looks like Nokia is going to lose another 20% of market share.

i believe in Nokia and its experience in mobile devices. I doubt in Apple's capability to be innovated.. just cause i've seen the products they sell, to be honest, fooling a lot of americans with their products just cause they've never seen better stuff that they have in asia and Europe.

iphone is good for multi touch, but Nokia should win in the long run in the cell phone market. (that is excluding cell phone market in the US)

we all know this is all geopolitical, after all Apple is an american company. Nokia, european. You'll find a contrast in Europe and Asia VS the US cell/pc/mp3 market
post #122 of 130
This forum is too biased.
post #123 of 130
"foot ball "

i agree with your points.
post #124 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

But he made a phone that everyone all over the world wants? What are you on about?

Anyway speaking of Symian Freak look what else they leaked today......And they dont normally leak anything Nokia wise unless its true.


you don't represent the whole world. Who says the whole world wants iphone? Bring in the fact behind it. Just cause companies around the world are signing contracts with Apple doesn't mean their customers want it.

Nokia has a wider market share globally.

Don't get me wrong.. i'm not biased, since i still use my samsung, nokia, and I use iPhone because i agree that has its possibilities. However i'm not so brand minded to be stuck on neither Nokia or Apple. I'm not loyal to a brand, but i buy the product that best suite me. When Nokia pushes out a better product, i'd go for it, and I always believed they will.

I do have to comment on Nokia's market in the US. it's plain lame, and no wonder american users complain about nok phone being crap. It is crap, with lack of selection offered by t-mobile/at&t and whatever other carriers exist in the US compared to the models offered by Nokia in the world.
Ask an american if they know N95, n96 or N85. They'd be like.. "what the heck is that?"

I agree with jahonen in his point of views and i'm up for Nokia for this battle.

This forum is too biased.
post #125 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't get the impression Apple has any interest in making a big dent in the just-a-phone market.

The iPhone, despite its name, is only tangentially a phone. It's the first iteration of a mobile computing platform that includes a phone app and uses the cellular network for ubiquitous connectivity.

So, while there may be nuances to the international phone market that Apple still has things to learn about, they're only in the international phone market as a byproduct of needing access to the wireless networks-- not because they plan on making a whole bunch of low cost handsets to compete with the low end free-with-contract phones of the world.

In other words, I think the international market for the iPhone, from Apple's perspective, looks like the international market for the Mac, except without the Windows penetration acting as a barrier to adoption.

i feel like iphone is just an ipod with an ability to make calls.. i dont think of it as a phone.
perhaps when i want a real phone i'd go to Nok.. or a nice cam phone i'd go for that c905
post #126 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustwest2 View Post

this phone will do nothing to help nokia catch up. until nokia has a PC grade OS for their phones they will continue to lag. I used to love symbian but ditched nokia after the n73 and E71. I got tired of the horrible lag that develops once the device starts to fill up with data particularly email and pictures. A painful experience for sure.

I would note though that nokia phones are way better spec wise on paper. I would love to have a 5MP camera with LED flash on my phone so I am hoping Apple produces a "Pro" version of the iPhone. One that is more expensive but has more sophisticated hardware in it like a better camera, and flash. Video capture and video chat would be amazing too but i can live without those.


5mp? that'as kinda low by the time Apple offers something that does fit to americans' tastes. Perhaps, only less than 5% of american (correct me if i'm wrong) knows the phone SE c905 which already has 8.1megapix.

they'll make a 5mp cam ... it's not like apple dont got the tech to do it now. They're not dumb. They just want to milk all the cash out of the ppl by making them buy a 2.0 mp, and then a 3.2 mp in another year or two. by the time they "decide" to sell something like a dvd video capture + 5mp pix.. rest of the world will be on a 10mp, and u'll be waiting still for something "better"
post #127 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Again, you're totally missing the point.

I'm not saying that Nokia will ever crack the US. I'm explaining why they historically haven't sold many phones there and why it isn't down to Apple.

However, the rest of the world is different. Nokia has 80% market share in countries such as India. In a lot of countries, Nokia has the kind of rock star status that Apple enjoys in the US. It's a hard concept to comprehend without seeing it firsthand.

Just because something isn't popular in the US does not mean that it isn't popular worldwide. Perhaps you can't see any reason why it could be popular, but it is. Just look at soccer.



agree.

"foot ball "
post #128 of 130
just a quick word... Apple may have made a big hit in the "smartphone" market share, but there are interested in using a phone. Those are the ppl that Apple will not be able to reach at this point. Ppl who prefer a small thin phone would choose a Nokia sirocco, and be willing to pay the price just for that design.

Where's the design in Apple for "phones" ? Where's the choice in Apple for "phones" except 8gb, 16gb in black / white?

All Apple has against the market is a 8gb/16gb SMART phone in black and white. Nokia offers choices, design, with a range of consumers from simple to entertainment, and to business use.
post #129 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbharry View Post

just a quick word... Apple may have made a big hit in the "smartphone" market share, but there are interested in using a phone. Those are the ppl that Apple will not be able to reach at this point. Ppl who prefer a small thin phone would choose a Nokia sirocco, and be willing to pay the price just for that design.

Where's the design in Apple for "phones" ? Where's the choice in Apple for "phones" except 8gb, 16gb in black / white?

All Apple has against the market is a 8gb/16gb SMART phone in black and white. Nokia offers choices, design, with a range of consumers from simple to entertainment, and to business use.

Interesting points.
post #130 of 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbharry View Post

just a quick word... Apple may have made a big hit in the "smartphone" market share, but there are interested in using a phone. Those are the ppl that Apple will not be able to reach at this point. Ppl who prefer a small thin phone would choose a Nokia sirocco, and be willing to pay the price just for that design.

Where's the design in Apple for "phones" ? Where's the choice in Apple for "phones" except 8gb, 16gb in black / white?

All Apple has against the market is a 8gb/16gb SMART phone in black and white. Nokia offers choices, design, with a range of consumers from simple to entertainment, and to business use.

Um, no need to create strawman arguments, particularly in a thread about the N97.

And you do know that this is Apple we're talking about, a Steve Jobs lead Apple? For computers, they don't sell any low end computers. Even their low end (and old) computer is barely at a low end price of $599. For iPods, all of their competition sells for less, their super-basic iPod shuffle is about as basic as you can get, and it still is more expensive than the competition. iPods with screens don't come lower than $149. Heck, their brand new 24" inch screen monitor costs $899!

They are not going to touch the simple phone market for a long time, if ever. There's really no point in quite a few different ways.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Nokia leans on new N97 as best hope for an iPhone rival