or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hidden feature turns iPhone into TV gaming device

Hidden feature turns iPhone into TV gaming device - Page 2

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Here we go. Starting the personal and immature attacks. No one is forcing you to reply you know. You can stop whenever you want

How is that a personal attack? On Apple for being control freaks?
post #42 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

Did you? I was responding to your "think bigger" comment, so I thought bigger. If the iPhone is to be the console of the future, why not include a pico projector in it. So, why would it make sense for you to now ask me if I read the article? I know it doesn't mention a projector in it, just as it doesn't mention the iPhone becoming this future console. In fact, the article specifically supports what I have been saying all along, i.e. using the iPhone as a controller, "Obviously one could imagine the possibilities of faster iPhones paired wirelessly with Apple TV to serve as a video game controller.".

The article was about plugging the the iPhone in to a TV. By "think big" I meant "think how far this idea could go" not "think how we could do something else instead, involving projectors."
post #43 of 58
Quote:

Here we go. Starting the personal and immature attacks. No one is forcing you to reply you know. You can stop whenever you want

So anybody who disagrees - you call names.
Who even owns an AppleTV?
Apple won't release the figures.
The iPhone or Touch as great as a remote it is can't even turn off the AppleTV! Most remotes I know of can turn the appliance on or off.
BTW I find this more a flaw of AppleTV than either iPhone or Touch.
post #44 of 58
The soon to be released ZeptoPad 2.0 does video out via Mac/PC without relying on hidden features:
http://vimeo.com/2376072
http://vimeo.com/2434031
post #45 of 58
Quote:

I didn't see anything that looks like a personal attack in the part you quoted, I don't know about immature attacks. Same goes for previous posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I didn't see any name calling in the part you quoted.
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

How is that a personal attack? On Apple for being control freaks?

Sorry. wrong post.

ou have your theory and I have mine. We might both be wrong and Apple never jump into the big screen gaming.

By the way I tried the game. Try Aurura Feint, it kills time much faster if you can keep your battery from draining.
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who even owns an AppleTV?
Apple won't release the figures.
The iPhone or Touch as great as a remote it is can't even turn off the AppleTV! Most remotes I know of can turn the appliance on or off.
BTW I find this more a flaw of AppleTV than either iPhone or Touch.

I was thinking about buying an AppleTV and a Wii. But after some research I decided to go for PS3, which is more like a combination of both, on May next year. I really have a lot of work next semester with research and teaching and won't have time until then. AppleTV is over powered for its function. The hardware is capable of more than just playing movies and I don't know why Apple ignoring that.
post #48 of 58
Quote:

You suggest that using an iPhone as controller is better. By doing, so the only people who will get the most of what they paid for AppleTV are those who buy or already bought iPhone/Touch. Therefore, playing games on AppleTV will be dependent on whether you have an iPhone or iPod Touch.

The dongle and controller can be packages together. PS3 controllers are sold for around $55 each so I guess the price should be around that, which can be included with newer AppleTV version (for small premium). This will bring the price close to Wii but with extras.

Well before the App kit for the iPhone was released, I was brainstorming with a buddy about much of what this discussion is about: iPhone as a "total-house remote control". While researching the idea, we came across a few companies already doing it. Savant, HAI, etc. More reading hear: http://www.cepro.com/article/airremo...tle_tv_remote/

Diagram here:
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #49 of 58
The PSP is still better for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKV8ad_YiRo

Although the PSP is mainly for individuals. The iphone (and presumably the ipod touch) could be used for party games like you could have tap tap revolution challenges assuming you can also display controls on the iphone. Maybe this is why it runs so slowly as the PSP only runs one display at a time.

It looks like the main benefit will be turning your iphone into some wii-mote-like device so that the movement-based controls make a bit more sense and aren't tipping your screen as you play.

I wouldn't want to have people using my £350 smartphone like it was a toy though.
post #50 of 58
Quote:

I see this feature to be most useful for people who want to use their iPhone for presentations using a projector.

Exactly. THAT WILL ROCK!!! For both iPhone and iPod touch. For both Keynote and PowerPoint. For both wired and wireless presentations. Using the NATIVE Keynote and PowerPoint files for full-blown presentations (NOT just exporting slides or exporting a movie feed).
post #51 of 58
freaking gooooood. i love this
post #52 of 58
Quote:

I remember a while back when I said that this is possible some here started laughing saying that this is not possible because you cannot output the iPhone graphics to larger screen!! well guess what?! it is possible.

Naysayers--dunno why they bother. I maintain a long list of things Apple users in forums like these have claimed Apple can't or won't do. I've had a lot of opportunities to post it here lately, especially with the $99 iPhone rumors. Seems I may have to add "Apple won't get into the video game business" to it soon.
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Naysayers--dunno why they bother. I maintain a long list of things Apple users in forums like these have claimed Apple can't or won't do. I've had a lot of opportunities to post it here lately, especially with the $99 iPhone rumors. Seems I may have to add "Apple won't get into the video game business" to it soon.

Well said. That amount of people who seem to know what Apple won't do...

Left like dead bodies next to the road paved with iPods...etc...etc...etc...

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #54 of 58
For what it's worth. I think the iPhone linked up to a tv is a tantalising glimpse of where the iPhone is going.

It will get better graphics. A better cpu. And the designs of the 360 and PS3, PSP and DS are going to be largely static for a year or two yet.

In that time, I can see the iPhone's graphics improving with Snow Leopard, better hardware...the talents of the developers at squeezing more out of the hardware... (I recall fondly how developers stretched the Commodore 64 to well beyond it's limits.)

If we thought the iPod was a bloody bath, the iPhone is going to be a Chainsaw Massacre. M$, Sony and Nintendo would be wise to be looking over their shoulder. For Apple, the pieces are moving into place. People always argued Apple wouldn't do games.

Oops. Now they are! Using the Apple TV to wirelessly route them to be TV? *Shrugs. A matter of time once everything from your Mac, Apple TV and iPhone is synced. It seemed unlikely a few years ago. Now. A matter of inevitability.

We may look at Far Cry 2 in the 'serious PC gaming market' as what games are...but I'm betting the Wii shows that the casual gaming market outstrips it. And the 'app store' for the iPhone confirms my beliefs. Heh. Soon the iPhone will make the DS look prehistoric. And developers are sure to get to grips with 'accelerator' control methods in the next year or two. They've already got used to the the Wii control system...?

Imagine. You carry around the ultimate 'pod'. You phone, you music, you photo, you video, you game.

For me? The last two pieces of the 'touch' platform are to fall into place. The 1st? Games. Well under way there with the potential to explode past consoles, pcs and DS/PSPs.

And secondly? Light computing. Eg Word Processing, data entry. The iPhone shows we're not that far away.

The 'Tablet' maybe the final leg of the iPod/iPhone cow seat. It would 'netbook' allow more comfortable light computing eg. word processing, browsing stuff.

I guess we'll wait and see. Remember Jobs before the iPhone?

It feels the same this time around. But it won't be a 'netbook', eh?

Lemon Bon Bon

post #55 of 58
I think the obvious slips by some people. Apple is clearly developing another 'consumer' computing and 'portable' computer market.

It's the iPod/iPhone and soon to be Tablet 'Touch Computing' market. And I think it has the potential to hammer the PC market. It's genius is that the iPod/iPhone and 'Tablet' won't look like the things we had in the 1980s or the things around today that still basically look like the things we had in the 80s and 90s.

That's Apple for you.

Lemon Bon Bon.

PS. What's that, Bill Gates? You said Steve couldn't win? Well, I don't even think you guys are aware there is a 3rd great age of computing. Cos you aint anywhere in it...

post #56 of 58
Imagine the Ocarina on a big screen, iBowl, Texas Hold'em, Flick Fishing etc.

The projector on the phone idea wouldn't work, when you tilted the phone the picture would move, you'd need fuel cells to run it unless you want a phone with a 2 minute battery life.

P.S. I get lot's of games what I'm starting to worry about is the rapid approach of the 9 screen limit, I need a folder I can put them all in.
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
post #57 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

It's easy to publish a list after the fact. It's kind of like the predictions of Nostradamus.

It would be nice if somebody actually figured out a prediction before it happens.
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

It's easy to publish a list after the fact. It's kind of like the predictions of Nostradamus.

I agree. The reason for posting that list isn't to make any particular point about predictions other that reminding everyone how often a large number of Mac users on these kinds of forums have dismissed certain rumors as ridiculous. The list is very long, so long that it's worth a consideration before jumping on the "never gonna happen" bandwagon.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Hidden feature turns iPhone into TV gaming device