or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Generational Blind Spot-BOOM!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Generational Blind Spot-BOOM! - Page 6

post #201 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

You didn't pay for my college or cars.

You didn't pay for my retirement or health care.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #202 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

You didn't pay for my retirement or health care.


Yup!

Exactly!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #203 of 452
So when we encourage the Chinese government to entice it's citizens to spend there safety net (they currently have a savings rate of 50% of their income it's currently 1.3% in the US and 25% in Japan) and lure them into debt with government safety nets and a must get one mentality instead, all to grow there economy and improve our exports, it's the Chinese peoples fault, like your saying it's the Boomers fault?
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #204 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

You didn't pay for my retirement or health care.

Yes, I did. The money I paid in will be used up by people like you, and I will never see it. The reason that I will never see it is that you didn't pay enough payroll taxes to make up for what you will pull out of the plan - your whole generation is basically the recipient of government welfare at my expense. And jimmac - no debt, no mortgage, and credit cards paid off every month, although I don't see what that has to do with SS.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #205 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Yes, I did. The money I paid in will be used up by people like you, and I will never see it. And jimmac - no debt, no mortgage, and credit cards paid off every month, although I don't see what that has to do with SS.


Quote:
And jimmac - no debt, no mortgage, and credit cards paid off every month,

Good for you. Have you always been that way? And since you're in such great shape why are you worrying anyway?

Also you haven't addressed the barrrowing that's been going on from SS. Like I've said that's why SS isn't what it should be. And that's been going on a long time. Longer than I've been a working adult. They'll never be able to pay back what they've barrowed from it. I'm 55 soon to be 56.

And do you know what? We've all paid into the fund. I may never see it either. If I do it won't cover much. Besides most people where I work are going " Retirement? What's that? " We'll just work until we drop. Does that make you feel any better?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #206 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Yes, I did.

No, you did not.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #207 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Good for you. Have you always been that way? And since you're in such great shape why are you worrying anyway?

I'm not worried about it - I'm 42 and once my stocks recover in a year or two I could retire if I wanted. I'm not counting on SS - I'm just arguing with you and franksagent because the two of you seem to be in denial about this whole thing. The main thing that could hurt me out of this situation is the expansion of payroll tax (remove the cap, subject other types of income, etc) - there aren't that many gen-Xers around compared to the number of retiring boomers, and payroll taxes could jump very high. My generation would be carrying you all on our backs - you could turn out to be a huge burden to us.

In any case, no new information has surfaced in the last couple pages - it is just "is so"/"is not"/"is so"/etc.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #208 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I'm not worried about it - I'm 42 and once my stocks recover in a year or two I could retire if I wanted. I'm not counting on SS - I'm just arguing with you and franksagent because the two of you seem to be in denial about this whole thing. The main thing that could hurt me out of this situation is the expansion of payroll tax (remove the cap, subject other types of income, etc) - there aren't that many gen-Xers around compared to the number of retiring boomers, and payroll taxes could jump very high. My generation would be carrying you all on our backs - you could turn out to be a huge burden to us.

In any case, no new information has surfaced in the last couple pages - it is just "is so"/"is not"/"is so"/etc.


You do know that each generation passes along something the future one so what your point?

Quote:
there aren't that many gen-Xers around compared to the number of retiring boomers

So we're guilty by our numbers?

You have a warped sense of this whole thing!

Quote:
In any case, no new information has surfaced in the last couple pages - it is just "is so"/"is not"/"is so"/etc.

I'm still waiting for your information on how we're the sole cause of anything.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #209 of 452
Thread Starter 
The correct answer would be "no he has not yet but will double when he does."

The greatest illusion created by Social Security is that it is some sort of investment rather than a direct wealth transfer program. This is part of why certain reforms like means testing wont' fly because they would destroy the perception that it is some sort of investment you are getting back a return on instead of merely wealth transfer.

The 1986 Welfare Reform was supposed to "fix" the Boomer bubble a bit and create a cushion. Instead though the "surplus" was spent and IOU's were generated that one section of the government now owes to the other.

So the correct answer is that we aren't paying for Frank's retirement yet but, presuming that he, like Jimmac is probably a boomer in his 50's, when he does retire and draw Social Security, you will begin paying for it twice. This is because the "excess" Social Security tax being collected now will disappear between 2012-2014 and will instead begin drawing on the IOU's that act as assets in the Social Security Trust Fund. So you will pay Social Security Tax to pay the Social Security benefits that are promised and also more taxes to pay for the redemption of the bonds that must be paid to make up the shortfall in income Social Security Taxes.

We could get into the interest on the debt, the lack of services, additional debt or additional taxes needed to make up that loss of $200 billion or so that the "excess" Social Security taxes generate now, but I don't want anyone putting a gun in their mouth out of depression.

BTW, I remembered that I have a very good link to support all of this, a book I own called "The Coming Generational Storm" by Laurence Kotlikoff and Scott Burns. It was written back in 2004 but that can't be right because this is all just a ruse to deflect blame from Republicans.

BTW, I normally don't do this, but I feel compelled to type a section from it real quick. Although I may not post with foot and endnotes. I assure you the book has plenty of them. This section describes the "tip" that can happen when a generation who has never had a thought about the dollar being anything other than the world reserve currency manages to finally destroy it and the results from it....

A dollar doesn't buy much these days. It will buy still less in the future.
How can we say this when the recent worry was deflation, when the price of goods appears to be declining?

Simple. We say this because the United States is doing all the things that mark an economy soon to be wracked by inflation and a weak currency:

We're running a large federal deficit, however it is calculated (This is 2004)
We're cutting taxes so the deficit will be larger for a longer period of time.
We're running a record trade deficit. It continues to increase in spite of a weak economy.
We're no longer a creditor nation (there is a generational change there no matter what someone wants to claim and deny) We owe billions around the world.
Our government doesn't seem to care. (They didn't care about deficits in 2004 and care even less now)
We have implicit liabilities out the gazoo.


I don't even always agree with Laurence Kotlikoff either, but the point is, there are people out there, people who aren't supposedly Republicans making up stuff, economists who are not Paul Krugman (Kotikoff is a professor of economics at Boston University) and still see the problem.

Notice how all those deflections are ad-homs about intent or appeals to authority, both logical fallacies.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #210 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The correct answer would be "no he has not yet but will double when he does."

The greatest illusion created by Social Security is that it is some sort of investment rather than a direct wealth transfer program. This is part of why certain reforms like means testing wont' fly because they would destroy the perception that it is some sort of investment you are getting back a return on instead of merely wealth transfer.

The 1986 Welfare Reform was supposed to "fix" the Boomer bubble a bit and create a cushion. Instead though the "surplus" was spent and IOU's were generated that one section of the government now owes to the other.

So the correct answer is that we aren't paying for Frank's retirement yet but, presuming that he, like Jimmac is probably a boomer in his 50's, when he does retire and draw Social Security, you will begin paying for it twice. This is because the "excess" Social Security tax being collected now will disappear between 2012-2014 and will instead begin drawing on the IOU's that act as assets in the Social Security Trust Fund. So you will pay Social Security Tax to pay the Social Security benefits that are promised and also more taxes to pay for the redemption of the bonds that must be paid to make up the shortfall in income Social Security Taxes.

We could get into the interest on the debt, the lack of services, additional debt or additional taxes needed to make up that loss of $200 billion or so that the "excess" Social Security taxes generate now, but I don't want anyone putting a gun in their mouth out of depression.

BTW, I remembered that I have a very good link to support all of this, a book I own called "The Coming Generational Storm" by Laurence Kotlikoff and Scott Burns. It was written back in 2004 but that can't be right because this is all just a ruse to deflect blame from Republicans.

BTW, I normally don't do this, but I feel compelled to type a section from it real quick. Although I may not post with foot and endnotes. I assure you the book has plenty of them. This section describes the "tip" that can happen when a generation who has never had a thought about the dollar being anything other than the world reserve currency manages to finally destroy it and the results from it....

A dollar doesn't buy much these days. It will buy still less in the future.
How can we say this when the recent worry was deflation, when the price of goods appears to be declining?

Simple. We say this because the United States is doing all the things that mark an economy soon to be wracked by inflation and a weak currency:

We're running a large federal deficit, however it is calculated (This is 2004)
We're cutting taxes so the deficit will be larger for a longer period of time.
We're running a record trade deficit. It continues to increase in spite of a weak economy.
We're no longer a creditor nation (there is a generational change there no matter what someone wants to claim and deny) We owe billions around the world.
Our government doesn't seem to care. (They didn't care about deficits in 2004 and care even less now)
We have implicit liabilities out the gazoo.


I don't even always agree with Laurence Kotlikoff either, but the point is, there are people out there, people who aren't supposedly Republicans making up stuff, economists who are not Paul Krugman (Kotikoff is a professor of economics at Boston University) and still see the problem.

Notice how all those deflections are ad-homs about intent or appeals to authority, both logical fallacies.

To be honest Trumpy I really doubt I'll be able to retire. If I do I'll be pretty old ( think closer to 70 ).
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #211 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

So we're guilty by our numbers?
You have a warped sense of this whole thing!
I'm still waiting for your information on how we're the sole cause of anything.

formula: (A huge number of boomers * (the amount of money boomers put into SS - amount they will take out)) / (Not so many gen Xers).

The problem is because you didn't pay your fair share of taxes, and because you will live too long, and because your medical expenses will be higher than previous generations. The problem is not because of your numbers, the huge number of boomers and the small number of genXers just magnifies an existing problem into a much bigger problem.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #212 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The correct answer would be "no he has not yet but will double when he does."

The greatest illusion created by Social Security is that it is some sort of investment rather than a direct wealth transfer program. This is part of why certain reforms like means testing wont' fly because they would destroy the perception that it is some sort of investment you are getting back a return on instead of merely wealth transfer.

The 1986 Welfare Reform was supposed to "fix" the Boomer bubble a bit and create a cushion. Instead though the "surplus" was spent and IOU's were generated that one section of the government now owes to the other.

So the correct answer is that we aren't paying for Frank's retirement yet but, presuming that he, like Jimmac is probably a boomer in his 50's, when he does retire and draw Social Security, you will begin paying for it twice. This is because the "excess" Social Security tax being collected now will disappear between 2012-2014 and will instead begin drawing on the IOU's that act as assets in the Social Security Trust Fund. So you will pay Social Security Tax to pay the Social Security benefits that are promised and also more taxes to pay for the redemption of the bonds that must be paid to make up the shortfall in income Social Security Taxes.

We could get into the interest on the debt, the lack of services, additional debt or additional taxes needed to make up that loss of $200 billion or so that the "excess" Social Security taxes generate now, but I don't want anyone putting a gun in their mouth out of depression.

BTW, I remembered that I have a very good link to support all of this, a book I own called "The Coming Generational Storm" by Laurence Kotlikoff and Scott Burns. It was written back in 2004 but that can't be right because this is all just a ruse to deflect blame from Republicans.

BTW, I normally don't do this, but I feel compelled to type a section from it real quick. Although I may not post with foot and endnotes. I assure you the book has plenty of them. This section describes the "tip" that can happen when a generation who has never had a thought about the dollar being anything other than the world reserve currency manages to finally destroy it and the results from it....

A dollar doesn't buy much these days. It will buy still less in the future.
How can we say this when the recent worry was deflation, when the price of goods appears to be declining?

Simple. We say this because the United States is doing all the things that mark an economy soon to be wracked by inflation and a weak currency:

We're running a large federal deficit, however it is calculated (This is 2004)
We're cutting taxes so the deficit will be larger for a longer period of time.
We're running a record trade deficit. It continues to increase in spite of a weak economy.
We're no longer a creditor nation (there is a generational change there no matter what someone wants to claim and deny) We owe billions around the world.
Our government doesn't seem to care. (They didn't care about deficits in 2004 and care even less now)
We have implicit liabilities out the gazoo.


I don't even always agree with Laurence Kotlikoff either, but the point is, there are people out there, people who aren't supposedly Republicans making up stuff, economists who are not Paul Krugman (Kotikoff is a professor of economics at Boston University) and still see the problem.

Notice how all those deflections are ad-homs about intent or appeals to authority, both logical fallacies.


No appeals to an expert. You are not.

Does Mr. Kotlikoff say it's all the boomer's fault?

Or is that your conclusion?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #213 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

formula: (A huge number of boomers * (the amount of money boomers put into SS - amount they will take out)) / (Not so many gen Xers).

The problem is because you didn't pay your fair share of taxes, and because you will live too long, and because your medical expenses will be higher than previous generations. The problem is not because of your numbers, the huge number of boomers and the small number of genXers just magnifies an existing problem into a much bigger problem.

Still waiting.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #214 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Still waiting.

Explain why we have a social security surplus now, and why that will soon be gone. Ive explained things as simply as I can, some times you just can't get your point across, and I have reached that point.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #215 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Explain why we have a social security surplus now, and why that will soon be gone. Ive explained things as simply as I can, some times you just can't get your point across, and I have reached that point.


Well you know it's just so funny. Out of all the places on the internet this is the only place I'm reading about this dumb ass theory.

Funny isn't it?

It's kind of like trumptman tries to create his own little microcosimic world where his reality reins surpreme.

The truth being that nothing we say here will matter and the actual reality will unfold as it will without us.

That's another reason I like factual accounting and conclusions drawn from real experts.

Good luck on selling this anywhere.

Well I have a theory also! After 8 years of bad decisions and distractions to cover them up ( Iraq, The terrorists, ect. ) we now at the end have yet another distraction after it's all over with. Kind of like a get away car for Bush and CO. keeping us from real progress. But you know I'll just tend to chalk it up to monumentally bad decision making on their part that put us here.

Why anyone listens to republicans or their supporters anymore after the last 8 years is a wonder. And you know finally not many do.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #216 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well you know it's just so funny. Out of all the places on the internet this is the only place I'm reading about this dumb ass theory.

Funny isn't it?

What's funny is simply googling boomers and social security yields a lot of text on this dumb ass theory from USA Today, MS NBC, CNBC, etc.

The fact that there are more boomers than genXers is a given.

The fact that when the boomers all retire, there will be significant strain on Social Security is well understood. If no later than 1996 when it was described in gory detail at the Senate Special Committee on Aging (a dumb assed bunch of folks, I'm sure).

But some how that because a "dumb ass theory" because some folks you don't like bring it up.

It's one thing to disagree that that Social Security is a ponzi scheme doomed to eventual failure. It's another to suggest that no one besides two folks on AI has ever suggested it before. Or that the Boomers aren't going to be the generation that makes or breaks Social Security.
post #217 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

What's funny is simply googling boomers and social security yields a lot of text on this dumb ass theory from USA Today, MS NBC, CNBC, etc.

The fact that there are more boomers than genXers is a given.

The fact that when the boomers all retire, there will be significant strain on Social Security is well understood. If no later than 1996 when it was described in gory detail at the Senate Special Committee on Aging (a dumb assed bunch of folks, I'm sure).

But some how that because a "dumb ass theory" because some folks you don't like bring it up.

It's one thing to disagree that that Social Security is a ponzi scheme doomed to eventual failure. It's another to suggest that no one besides two folks on AI has ever suggested it before. Or that the Boomers aren't going to be the generation that makes or breaks Social Security.

I think a major part of this dialogue appears to be blaming the boomers for it all, as if the boomers bare significant blame. A more rational approach would be to see that later generations too have terrible savings rates, gen x is just marginally higher than the boomers, mostly though due to fears revolving around the current recession. The fact remains that gen x is not on target to meet there own needs for retirement. Therefore if gen x pays higher payroll taxes for the boomers, it's likely gen y will pay higher payroll taxes for the gen x's. It should be noted too that savings rates for most western developed nations are low and national debts huge.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #218 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I think a major part of this dialogue appears to be blaming the boomers for it all, as if the boomers bare significant blame. A more rational approach would be to see that later generations too have terrible savings rates, gen x is just marginally higher than the boomers, mostly though due to fears revolving around the current recession. The fact remains that gen x is not on target to meet there own needs for retirement. Therefore if gen x pays higher payroll taxes for the boomers, it's likely gen y will pay higher payroll taxes for the gen x's. It should be noted too that savings rates for most western developed nations are low and national debts huge.

Generation Y (born 75-85) is called "the little baby boom" - they will have fewer problems because they also outnumber gen Xers, and some of the baby boomers will have died off. Also, SS will probably be partially dismantled due to the strain put on it by the baby boomers.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #219 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

What's funny is simply googling boomers and social security yields a lot of text on this dumb ass theory from USA Today, MS NBC, CNBC, etc.

The fact that there are more boomers than genXers is a given.

The fact that when the boomers all retire, there will be significant strain on Social Security is well understood. If no later than 1996 when it was described in gory detail at the Senate Special Committee on Aging (a dumb assed bunch of folks, I'm sure).

But some how that because a "dumb ass theory" because some folks you don't like bring it up.

It's one thing to disagree that that Social Security is a ponzi scheme doomed to eventual failure. It's another to suggest that no one besides two folks on AI has ever suggested it before. Or that the Boomers aren't going to be the generation that makes or breaks Social Security.


Ok but when this started the implication was that it was the Boomers that started this economic crisis not the last administration. Not just SS. Somehow the discussion later became focused on SS. My comments are aimed at the original. Are you prepared to agree with that? If you draw that same conclusion please supply a link to someone ( an expert ) that also draws that same conclusion about the economic crisis and Boomers.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #220 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Generation Y (born 75-85) is called "the little baby boom" - they will have fewer problems because they also outnumber gen Xers, and some of the baby boomers will have died off. Also, SS will probably be partially dismantled due to the strain put on it by the baby boomers.

Just some of the baby boomers will of died off, I was expecting they would have been long gone, it's too late for me to work that one out right now,ZZZZ. On a slightly humorous note, if the new gens are getting there acts together does that mean they'll pay for my retirement, that would be sweet of them.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #221 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

What's funny is simply googling boomers and social security yields a lot of text on this dumb ass theory from USA Today, MS NBC, CNBC, etc.

The fact that there are more boomers than genXers is a given.

The fact that when the boomers all retire, there will be significant strain on Social Security is well understood. If no later than 1996 when it was described in gory detail at the Senate Special Committee on Aging (a dumb assed bunch of folks, I'm sure).

But some how that because a "dumb ass theory" because some folks you don't like bring it up.

It's one thing to disagree that that Social Security is a ponzi scheme doomed to eventual failure. It's another to suggest that no one besides two folks on AI has ever suggested it before. Or that the Boomers aren't going to be the generation that makes or breaks Social Security.

The dumb* assed* "theory" isn't even a theory, it's an all too apparent long held "opinion" about those who are not yours.

There is a link early on in this thread on the root causes of this generationally biased ageism "opinion".

The flawed premise is something along the lines that the Boomers think they are "special" and that it was these very same Boomers who are the sole source of yesterday's, today's, and tomorrow's economic and social conditions.

That those that came before and after said Boomers had nothing to do with our past, current, and future economic and social situations.

That in fact, the Boomers conspired to do all these things, from before birth even.

The unborn Boomers conspired to create WWI, the Great Depression, and WWII, in order to procreate themselves in large numbers, specifically, explicitly, and solely for the purposes of causing all forms of social and economic upheavals, past, present, and future.

You can call this crackpot* "theory" the Boomer Conspiracy Theory or BCT.

As to SS and what all, even in 1986, people knew that they were just prolonging the long term systemic problems inherent within SS given the already well known aging demographic.

The problems inherent in SS should not be misconstrued with said BCT crackpottery*.

NOTE: crackpot* and crackpottery* refer solely to said BCT as a dumb* assed* "theory" in and of itself. Likewise, the use of the words dumb* and assed* refer solely to said "theory". Likewise, "theory" does not refer to any actual established theory of any kind, the meaning of the quoted word "theory" should be interpreted in the same exact definitional manner as the quoted word "opinion" as used in the body of the text appearing above. Likewise, "opinion" does not refer to one individual person's opinion, but refers to an "opinion" held by a much larger group of individuals that is not limited to the much smaller subset (of said much larger group) of individuals that participate directly within the PO forums that hold said "opinion".
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #222 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Ok but when this started the implication was that it was the Boomers that started this economic crisis not the last administration. Not just SS. Somehow the discussion later became focused on SS. My comments are aimed at the original. Are you prepared to agree with that? If you draw that same conclusion please supply a link to someone ( an expert ) that also draws that same conclusion about the economic crisis and Boomers.

WRONG

That is the caricature created by you to dismiss the point of the thread.

I'll quote it for you to refresh your memory.

So now the bar is so low that we print away the debt for the debtors and crush the savers all in hopes of doing this all again, being able to say we are wealthy without generating any real wealth. I mean what else can you expect from them. They couldn't get the house refied for another 30 years now that they are 60 years old. They could slow down, spend less, try to save and work off their bad lifestyle of drinking, drugs, obesity, smoking and an overall worse state of health coming into retirement than the prior generation. They could finally grow up, pay their own way and stop making up new lies. Instead it is down to the ultimate lie. The currency itself will be manipulated to cover up their lifetime of nonsense.

They are down to the proverbial last straw. They have stolen all they can from the future so now it is time to change the rules of the game. The new rule is there are no rules and we are a bunch of thieves. We don't just bread up the meat and water down the drinks. We already tried that. Now it is simply time to stick you up and take all you have.

I hope you have some inflation hedges (and I don't mean TIPS) so you can enjoy the ride. Try to keep the filling in your teeth as we watch the boomers scramble like mad before having to deal with reality.


Also I can't send a PM to some parties but they shouldn't post while drunk.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #223 of 452
I drink.

Morning, noon, and night.

A lot.

Of ice water.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #224 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

WRONG

That is the caricature created by you to dismiss the point of the thread.

I'll quote it for you to refresh your memory.

So now the bar is so low that we print away the debt for the debtors and crush the savers all in hopes of doing this all again, being able to say we are wealthy without generating any real wealth. I mean what else can you expect from them. They couldn't get the house refied for another 30 years now that they are 60 years old. They could slow down, spend less, try to save and work off their bad lifestyle of drinking, drugs, obesity, smoking and an overall worse state of health coming into retirement than the prior generation. They could finally grow up, pay their own way and stop making up new lies. Instead it is down to the ultimate lie. The currency itself will be manipulated to cover up their lifetime of nonsense.

They are down to the proverbial last straw. They have stolen all they can from the future so now it is time to change the rules of the game. The new rule is there are no rules and we are a bunch of thieves. We don't just bread up the meat and water down the drinks. We already tried that. Now it is simply time to stick you up and take all you have.

I hope you have some inflation hedges (and I don't mean TIPS) so you can enjoy the ride. Try to keep the filling in your teeth as we watch the boomers scramble like mad before having to deal with reality.


Also I can't send a PM to some parties but they shouldn't post while drunk.

Allow me to quote you also :

Quote:
You cannot get better terms on broke. We do not have a liquidity crisis, we have an insolvency crisis. The U.S. consumer is broke. The nation is bankrupt. The government is thinking about running trillion dollar a year deficits all to try to make the bubbles come back.

So the generational reckoning is here and the solution is to lie, cheat and steal. As the article notes there isn't another side to this equation. As people of all political stripes have noted over the years with the boomer generation it doesn't matter the values. They all have abandoned them in this generation. The bar is lower. It isn't whether you cheated on your wife. It is if you cheated on her while she was recovering or dying from cancer.

Had enough of this claptrap?

Remember I said :
Quote:
Ok but when this started the implication was

Quote:
Also I can't send a PM to some parties but they shouldn't post while drunk

Is that what you're down to now? Insults?

If you're going to continue with this please post a link that proves your theory. Not one that leaves it open for you to interpret. I'm sorry but just you isn't acceptable as an expert.


You're just not an expert.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #225 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

The dumb* assed* "theory" isn't even a theory, it's an all too apparent long held "opinion" about those who are not yours.

There is a link early on in this thread on the root causes of this generationally biased ageism "opinion".

The flawed premise is something along the lines that the Boomers think they are "special" and that it was these very same Boomers who are the sole source of yesterday's, today's, and tomorrow's economic and social conditions.

That those that came before and after said Boomers had nothing to do with our past, current, and future economic and social situations.

That in fact, the Boomers conspired to do all these things, from before birth even.

The unborn Boomers conspired to create WWI, the Great Depression, and WWII, in order to procreate themselves in large numbers, specifically, explicitly, and solely for the purposes of causing all forms of social and economic upheavals, past, present, and future.

You can call this crackpot* "theory" the Boomer Conspiracy Theory or BCT.

As to SS and what all, even in 1986, people knew that they were just prolonging the long term systemic problems inherent within SS given the already well known aging demographic.

The problems inherent in SS should not be misconstrued with said BCT crackpottery*.

NOTE: crackpot* and crackpottery* refer solely to said BCT as a dumb* assed* "theory" in and of itself. Likewise, the use of the words dumb* and assed* refer solely to said "theory". Likewise, "theory" does not refer to any actual established theory of any kind, the meaning of the quoted word "theory" should be interpreted in the same exact definitional manner as the quoted word "opinion" as used in the body of the text appearing above. Likewise, "opinion" does not refer to one individual person's opinion, but refers to an "opinion" held by a much larger group of individuals that is not limited to the much smaller subset (of said much larger group) of individuals that participate directly within the PO forums that hold said "opinion.".


Quote:
The unborn Boomers conspired to create WWI, the Great Depression, and WWII, in order to procreate themselves in large numbers, specifically, explicitly, and solely for the purposes of causing all forms of social and economic upheavals, past, present, and future.

It sounds kind of like a plot you'd see on the Xfiles!

Children Of The Damned!


They're Everywhere!



Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #226 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It sounds kind of like a plot you'd see on the Xfiles!

Children Of The Damned!

They're Everywhere!


I prefer Chris Carter's working title for the next film in the series to be released on December 21, 2012;

Damned Children: Get Off My Front Lawn Of A Planet!

The Truth Is Out There

Trust No One

I Want to Believe
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #227 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

I prefer Chris Carter's working title for the next film in the series to be released on December 21, 2012;

Damned Children: Get Off My Front Lawn Of A Planet

The Truth Is Out There

Trust No One

I Want to Believe

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #228 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Allow me to quote you also :

Had enough of this claptrap?

Remember I said :

Is that what you're down to now? Insults?

If you're going to continue with this please post a link that proves your theory. Not one that leaves it open for you to interepret. I'm sorry but just you isn't acceptable as an expert.

You're just not an expert.

Jimmac, last I checked, you weren't a certifying body or board. You know what is insulting, people like you trying to spin this away from reality. Several people in the thread have hit you over the head with the reality that boomers and their problems are not just some partisan point being made to deflect criticism about the Bush years. We've posted links to books, searches, noted past legislation, etc. and you just ignore the very proof you asked for now claiming that even though it was provided, now the real issue is that I'm not an "expert."

It is desperate and insulting on your part.

I've posted experts that support my views, especially about inflating away problems via printing currency. They aren't even hard to find. I linked to an entire book. The theory isn't just mine alone, it is called generational accounting and I linked to the professor of economics that has put it forward and also linked to his book. This bit if nonsense about "it's always been this way shows it hasn't when you look at generational accounting. Kotlikoff has written dozens of papers and again, books on this subject. I linked to his website with the papers. You've ignored it all.

Get a new tactic. This one is tired. Address some point rather than just ignoring it and attacking the poster by claiming lack of expertise, lack of proof, lack of whatever you've ignored while you and Frank spam the thread with references to bad 70's movies.

Of course if I really wanted proof of how the boomers fail to address reality, their problems and to engage the issues, I think the replies in this thread by boomers are proof positive. How sad is it that the 20-40 year olds are begging their elders to stop posting sentence fragments and dismissals and look at the links, articles books and conclusions drawn from them and think about the ramifications.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #229 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Jimmac, last I checked, you weren't a certifying body or board. You know what is insulting, people like you trying to spin this away from reality. Several people in the thread have hit you over the head with the reality that boomers and their problems are not just some partisan point being made to deflect criticism about the Bush years. We've posted links to books, searches, noted past legislation, etc. and you just ignore the very proof you asked for now claiming that even though it was provided, now the real issue is that I'm not an "expert."

It is desperate and insulting on your part.

I've posted experts that support my views, especially about inflating away problems via printing currency. They aren't even hard to find. I linked to an entire book. The theory isn't just mine alone, it is called generational accounting and I linked to the professor of economics that has put it forward and also linked to his book. This bit if nonsense about "it's always been this way shows it hasn't when you look at generational accounting. Kotlikoff has written dozens of papers and again, books on this subject. I linked to his website with the papers. You've ignored it all.

Get a new tactic. This one is tired. Address some point rather than just ignoring it and attacking the poster by claiming lack of expertise, lack of proof, lack of whatever you've ignored while you and Frank spam the thread with references to bad 70's movies.

Of course if I really wanted proof of how the boomers fail to address reality, their problems and to engage the issues, I think the replies in this thread by boomers are proof positive. How sad is it that the 20-40 year olds are begging their elders to stop posting sentence fragments and dismissals and look at the links, articles books and conclusions drawn from them and think about the ramifications.


Sorry but it's the truth! You're just not acceptable as an expert.

I've explained why.

The tactic remains because you are doing the same thing.

Post someone who knows what they're talking about saying this specifically. Someone not you.

There's no point in making this longer.

Quote:
I think the replies in this thread by boomers are proof positive. How sad is it that the 20-40 year olds are begging their elders to stop posting sentence fragments and dismissals and look at the links, articles books and conclusions drawn from them and think about the ramifications.

I think this sentence proves how looney this your whole premise is. This is just an attempt to throw a few childish insults at people.

Quote:
look at the links, articles books and conclusions drawn from them

Conclusions you drew.

Claptrap.

We make fun of it because it's silly by it's very nature.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #230 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Sorry but it's the truth! You're just not acceptable as an expert.

I've explained why.

The tactic remains because you are doing the same thing.

Post someone who knows what they're talking about saying this specifically. Someone not you.

There's no point in making this longer.

I think this sentence proves how looney this your whole premise is. This is just an attempt to throw a few childish insults at people.

Conclusions you drew.

Claptrap.

Can you explain how Kotlikoff, a professor of Economics at Boston University doesn't meet your definition of expert?

Did you somehow forget the links to "The Coming Generational Storm" and his website that I placed in this thread?

There are a couple possibilities, one your ignored them, two you've dismissed them for reasons you don't care to discuss, or three, it is a lot more fun to try to spam the thread by claiming it should be focused on me instead of my expert.

BTW, as I noted, I've posted him but I would never say I'm right just because an expert endorses my view, that is a logical fallacy. You can find experts of all persuasions. We've mentioned Krugman, Kotlikoff and Schiff in this thread alone, all experts, all with different views on these matters.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #231 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Can you explain how Kotlikoff, a professor of Economics at Boston University doesn't meet your definition of expert?

Did you somehow forget the links to "The Coming Generational Storm" and his website that I placed in this thread?

There are a couple possibilities, one your ignored them, two you've dismissed them for reasons you don't care to discuss, or three, it is a lot more fun to try to spam the thread by claiming it should be focused on me instead of my expert.

BTW, as I noted, I've posted him but I would never say I'm right just because an expert endorses my view, that is a logical fallacy. You can find experts of all persuasions. We've mentioned Krugman, Kotlikoff and Schiff in this thread alone, all experts, all with different views on these matters.

Quote:
Did you somehow forget the links to "The Coming Generational Storm" and his website that I placed in this thread?

Yes but does he draw the exact same conclusions you do?

Does he blame us for all the things you have implied?

We all know there's a bottle neck because of the numbers of Boomers ( hell my friend Jeff and I used to talk about this when we were kids in our 20's back in 1973 so this part's a no brainer ) and most haven't saved like they should have but that doesn't validate everything you've been saying.

Quote:
BTW, as I noted, I've posted him but I would never say I'm right just because an expert endorses my view, that is a logical fallacy

Uh no. On a forum like this where you can claim to be anybody with any credentials proof must come from a valid 3rd source. Otherwise it might just be some 16 year old in his parents basement stealing time on daddy's computer. Or someone advertising something as gospel fact when it's just his way of getting back at the world because things aren't going his way. It adds a great deal more credence.

Quote:
You can find experts of all persuasions

Yes. Find us one that's saying the same thing you are and I'll give your theory some more attention.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #232 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Yes but does he draw the exact same conclusions you do?

On these matters, yes he does. We are in disagreement on some of the solutions. However since the point for you is even admitting there is a problem (instead of an attempt to make Bush disappear) he is good enough for that.

Quote:
Does he blame us for all the things you have implied?

Yes he does.

Quote:
We all know there's a bottle neck because of the numbers of Boomers ( hell my friend Jeff and I used to talk about this when we were kids in our 20's back in 1973 so this part's a no brainer ) and most haven't saved like they should have but that doesn't validate everything you've been saying.

Yes. Find us one that's saying the same thing you are and I'll give your theory some more attention.

Clearly you and your friend were just the seed for explaining away the Bush years decades before he ever ran for office.

Lots of people are saying the same thing I am for root causes. They may or may not use the words boomer. They might say words like "structural causes that have roots in the 60's" or "failure to address the move away from Bretton-Woods" etc.

We seldom have direct causation, rather we have correlation. If a country goes from the biggest creditor to debtor, you look at the households and leaders at that timeframe. When it is boomers, I call it boomers. Is it 100% boomers? No of course not because nothing is that clear cut. That would be the time when whatever accumulating behaviors and attitudes TIPPED though.

My personal thoughts on this are what I call big lies versus little lies. People do tell little lies all the time. Does that dress make you fat? How was your day? Especially with boomer reasoning though they have been very focused on lack of perfectionism, hypocrisy and the ability to dismiss moral authority because of that.

This is essentually your entire argument about the Bush years. I'm not personally attacking you but you personify the boomer-blindspot. Was Bush perfect? No, far from it, but his spending does not justify trillions of dollars of deficits any more than you having lunch with a female co-worker justifies the wife screwing the neighbor. Would a perfect husband not have lunch with a female co-worker? Probably. On some deeper level down in your heart was there some bit of flattery, flirting, some possible need that was met by that lunch? The honest answer is a yes for most.

But that doesn't and wouldn't justify bigger lies, bigger more harmful actions, destroying institutions instead of reforming them, etc.

You claim Republicans for example have no moral authority because they governed imperfectly. However where was the perfect government programs, perfect national state, perfect anything from Democrats? It doesn't and hasn't existed. We have Democratic corruption, Democratic wars, Democratic military actions and Democratic waste in government spending. Changing the label doesn't change the actions. Guys like me who have memories can recall that regime change in Iraq was a Clinton initiative for example.

We all understand one of your central dismissive claims in this thread, that people have to play the cards they are dealt. Bush didn't want planes crashing into buildings on his watch. I'm sure Obama didn't want to be handed a trillion dollar deficit. However your argument becomes being dealt cards means that one side can't even play the game, and thus the other player gets to grab the pot with no questioning. That isn't true either. By no bit of logical reasoning do you address speculation and bubbles with more debt, speculation and bubbles. Maybe Dad couldn't see Mom leaving but the moral answer is never, "Now I can justify stealing the neighbor's wife."

Dad can scream that Mom was a whore, but it will NEVER justify his own bad actions. If Mom comes back and notes he is destroying another household her conclusion is correct not because she is an expert, or because she is an adulterer but because that is in fact what Dad is doing. Likewise the conclusion does not become wrong because she is an adulterer as an example. Wrong is wrong. More wrong is more wrong.

The boomer blindspot, I can find an institutional injustice, a civil or racial injustice, a gender injustice and instead of correcting it, it gives me the right to do whatever I want.

That is wrong and it is what a generation has statistically been doing for their entire lives.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #233 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

On these matters, yes he does. We are in disagreement on some of the solutions. However since the point for you is even admitting there is a problem (instead of an attempt to make Bush disappear) he is good enough for that.



Yes he does.



Clearly you and your friend were just the seed for explaining away the Bush years decades before he ever ran for office.

Lots of people are saying the same thing I am for root causes. They may or may not use the words boomer. They might say words like "structural causes that have roots in the 60's" or "failure to address the move away from Bretton-Woods" etc.

We seldom have direct causation, rather we have correlation. If a country goes from the biggest creditor to debtor, you look at the households and leaders at that timeframe. When it is boomers, I call it boomers. Is it 100% boomers? No of course not because nothing is that clear cut. That would be the time when whatever accumulating behaviors and attitudes TIPPED though.

My personal thoughts on this are what I call big lies versus little lies. People do tell little lies all the time. Does that dress make you fat? How was your day? Especially with boomer reasoning though they have been very focused on lack of perfectionism, hypocrisy and the ability to dismiss moral authority because of that.

This is essentually your entire argument about the Bush years. I'm not personally attacking you but you personify the boomer-blindspot. Was Bush perfect? No, far from it, but his spending does not justify trillions of dollars of deficits any more than you having lunch with a female co-worker justifies the wife screwing the neighbor. Would a perfect husband not have lunch with a female co-worker? Probably. On some deeper level down in your heart was there some bit of flattery, flirting, some possible need that was met by that lunch? The honest answer is a yes for most.

But that doesn't and wouldn't justify bigger lies, bigger more harmful actions, destroying institutions instead of reforming them, etc.

You claim Republicans for example have no moral authority because they governed imperfectly. However where was the perfect government programs, perfect national state, perfect anything from Democrats? It doesn't and hasn't existed. We have Democratic corruption, Democratic wars, Democratic military actions and Democratic waste in government spending. Changing the label doesn't change the actions. Guys like me who have memories can recall that regime change in Iraq was a Clinton initiative for example.

We all understand one of your central dismissive claims in this thread, that people have to play the cards they are dealt. Bush didn't want planes crashing into buildings on his watch. I'm sure Obama didn't want to be handed a trillion dollar deficit. However your argument becomes being dealt cards means that one side can't even play the game, and thus the other player gets to grab the pot with no questioning. That isn't true either. By no bit of logical reasoning do you address speculation and bubbles with more debt, speculation and bubbles. Maybe Dad couldn't see Mom leaving but the moral answer is never, "Now I can justify stealing the neighbor's wife."

Dad can scream that Mom was a whore, but it will NEVER justify his own bad actions. If Mom comes back and notes he is destroying another household her conclusion is correct not because she is an expert, or because she is an adulterer but because that is in fact what Dad is doing. Likewise the conclusion does not become wrong because she is an adulterer as an example. Wrong is wrong. More wrong is more wrong.

The boomer blindspot, I can find an institutional injustice, a civil or racial injustice, a gender injustice and instead of correcting it, it gives me the right to do whatever I want.

That is wrong and it is what a generation has statistically been doing for their entire lives.

Quote:
Yes he does

All of the same stuff you're stating and implying?

Ok show me where.

Quote:
The boomer blindspot, I can find an institutional injustice, a civil or racial injustice, a gender injustice and instead of correcting it, it gives me the right to do whatever I want.

You good little Republican you.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #234 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

All of the same stuff you're stating and implying?

Ok show me where.



Read it yourself Jimmac. We've moved from where's the proof, to where's the expert to yeah, but does your expert and proof REALLY say that.

Do you own work for research to dismiss.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #235 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

All of the same stuff you're stating and implying?

Ok show me where.

Are you sure you want this to be the standard for discussion here on AI? Because, that's a war that Frank and I can win and you destined to forever fail. Even Nick will make you cry like a little girl in a citation war and he's nowhere as anal as frank and I.

I've never read the generational storm but I have read Scott Burn's articles on the subject and nick is on pretty solid ground in stating that the boomer generation is the cause for SS issues simply because they happen to be a cohort that lives longer than previous cohorts that is also much larger than those that follow.

Now, I doubt that he blames the boomers for nefarious dealings explicitly in his book but it is known that the cohort believes itself special from the very virtue of being the largest demographic. Marketing has put your cohort on a pedestal since it came of age.

One person that does agree with Nick is Paul Begala who wrote this in 2000.

Quote:
"I am not a Baby Boomer," I snapped. "I am so tired of hearing about the goddamn Baby Boomers! I've spent my whole life swimming behind that garbage barge of a generation. They ruined everything they've passed through and left me in their wake."

Broder shook his head and walked away.

But the garbage barge just chugs on. As they enter late middle age, the Boomers still can't grow up. Guys who once dropped acid are now downing Viagra; women who once eschewed lipstick are now getting liposuction. At the risk of feeding their narcissism, I believe it's time someone stated the simple truth: The Baby Boomers are the most self-centered, self-seeking, self-interested, self-absorbed, self-indulgent, self-aggrandizing generation in American history.

I hate the Boomers.

http://www.esquire.com/features/worst-generation-0400

Oh...money quote:

Quote:
So while the Boomers can claim they had the good taste to listen to gifted pre-Boomers, when it came their turn to make music, the truest expression of their generation, what did they give us?

Disco.

The generation that came before the Boomers gave them Dylan. The Boomers gave us KC and the Sunshine Band. Thanks a lot.

You know. You guys just suck. That, I guess, makes at least four of us that think so (nick, e, me and Paul).
post #236 of 452
You know that old joke about look up a definition of a <funny/offensive term> and see <insert person's> picture here?

I guess today's version is Google <x> and <y> shows up.

Google "Worst Generation" and Boomers show up.
post #237 of 452
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...85&postcount=7

Quote:
As for the upcoming boomer retirement. That could be several threads unto itself. My belief is that the U.S. government will magically unlink benefits and inflation calculations and run the printing presses. Boomers who have run record national debt levels all while saving nothing will be given the option of moving to someplace like Mexico to get by (they can send us workers, we can send them retirees) or they can enjoy the true silver bullet solution, a literal bullet.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...3&postcount=22

Quote:
If boomers could walk away from their bad decisions and just have no retirement, that would be one thing. They will keep the house, and make their kids pay for the bad mortgage. They will vote in numbers and confiscate the earnings of their children and grandchildren.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...5&postcount=19

Quote:
I have a quote somewhere on here where I said the silver bullet solution to the boomer's problems is a literal silver bullet.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...8&postcount=17

Quote:
You have to realize that the word bust only applies to how the Boomers are screwed. For everyone else it is cheap stocks, cheap housing and ample opportunities. Even if the inflation train comes running through, everyone else gets to run on the treadmill while the boomers are the ones who have to get off and watch their purchasing power diminish.

In short, boomers lose, everyone else wins and boomers are not America.

Boomers are going to be broke. Boomers are going to be wondering who is going to pay their Social Security and take care of their debts they have run up. The fact that they won't be able to get $500k for their homes and instead have to accept $250k won't hurt their children. It will hurt them. When their children inflate away those debt and destroy the purchasing power of their 401k's and pensions, it won't hurt their children, it will hurt them.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...0&postcount=14

Quote:
There are plenty of people to replace the Boomers. The matter is simply whether we want to let them in or not. Demography is destiny. Those who have the babies make the future and even the stupid selfish boomers cannot change that.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...03&postcount=2

Quote:
Anyone who has has to read posts on here for a while has had to listen to my dire prediction that the baby boomer generation will find a silver bullet solution to their retirement problems by literally applying a bullet, silver or any other material, as part of their solution.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...0&postcount=18

Quote:
This is most true when we consider that most changes in our national health level have occurred because we have the boomer generation getting ready to go into those needy retirement years in worse health than the previous generation.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=90

Quote:
You tell me which you think will do more harm. Our problem is believing the terrorists in any country are going to cause us harm when it is grandma and grandpa boomer instead who will cause the real mass destruction.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=58

Quote:
The boomer and above generation is generally well-employed and happy. The younger children of these boomers, the children of wasted wealth via broken homes and divorce and also the immigrants that are expected to replace the euro boomers are largely unemployed until their early 30's. They spend a fair amount of time living in ethnic enclaves, or with their boomer parents and spend their days binge drinking, burning cars and stabbing each other.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...34&postcount=9

Quote:
The Republicans of 94 started us on a good path, but like so many in the boomer generation, they don't practice what they preach. They give up and give in. They are and always have been a soft generation that I believe will be the end of us.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...34&postcount=1

Quote:
The boomers will have spent the federal government into 10 trillion dollars plus of debt. They aren't saving for retirement and in fact will likely walk into retirement with more personal debt than any generation.

They will then stick their hands out, squat on their bottoms and demand to receive more entitlements than any previous generation in history.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...8&postcount=14

Quote:
It will be the next generation's way of flushing the boomers and all their crap out of the system.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...37&postcount=8

Quote:
The Boomers have to be the only generation in history to steal from both their parents, their children and their grandchildren.

Quote:
The boomers were too selfish to have enough children to maintain the population. Their now letting in immigrants in some desperate hope that they will fund the future obligations. Only million dollar home grandpa wants his Social Security funded by the lawn man, and we all know what he pays the lawn man.

I'm just wondering if the above, in any way, shape, or form qualifies as ageism or hate speech, either, neither, or both?

Your thoughts?

Note: There's way more of the same where these excerpts came from. This is just a relatively small sample.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #238 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Are you sure you want this to be the standard for discussion here on AI? Because, that's a war that Frank and I can win and you destined to forever fail. Even Nick will make you cry like a little girl in a citation war and he's nowhere as anal as frank and I.

I've never read the generational storm but I have read Scott Burn's articles on the subject and nick is on pretty solid ground in stating that the boomer generation is the cause for SS issues simply because they happen to be a cohort that lives longer than previous cohorts that is also much larger than those that follow.

Now, I doubt that he blames the boomers for nefarious dealings explicitly in his book but it is known that the cohort believes itself special from the very virtue of being the largest demographic. Marketing has put your cohort on a pedestal since it came of age.

One person that does agree with Nick is Paul Begala who wrote this in 2000.



http://www.esquire.com/features/worst-generation-0400

Oh...money quote:



You know. You guys just suck. That, I guess, makes at least four of us that think so (nick, e, me and Paul).

I am not one of those Boomers. I have never been one of those Boomers. I will never be one of those Boomers.

I am not special. I have never been special. I will never be special.

I do consider myself an egghead, but that does not define the Boomer culture at large.

Quote:
It was used by Clinton advisor Paul Begala in the 2008 presidential campaign to describe Senator Barack Obama's supporters when he said, "Obama can't win with just the eggheads and African-Americans."[2]
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #239 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Are you sure you want this to be the standard for discussion here on AI? Because, that's a war that Frank and I can win and you destined to forever fail. Even Nick will make you cry like a little girl in a citation war and he's nowhere as anal as frank and I.

I've never read the generational storm but I have read Scott Burn's articles on the subject and nick is on pretty solid ground in stating that the boomer generation is the cause for SS issues simply because they happen to be a cohort that lives longer than previous cohorts that is also much larger than those that follow.

Now, I doubt that he blames the boomers for nefarious dealings explicitly in his book but it is known that the cohort believes itself special from the very virtue of being the largest demographic. Marketing has put your cohort on a pedestal since it came of age.

One person that does agree with Nick is Paul Begala who wrote this in 2000.



http://www.esquire.com/features/worst-generation-0400

Oh...money quote:



You know. You guys just suck. That, I guess, makes at least four of us that think so (nick, e, me and Paul).


Quote:
Are you sure you want this to be the standard for discussion here on AI? Because, that's a war that Frank and I can win and you destined to forever fail. Even Nick will make you cry like a little girl in a citation war and he's nowhere as anal as frank and I.

Oh please! He still can't supply the proof he needs to!

Franksargent does have a point. We're individuals not stereotypes which is what trumptman has been dealing in.

I could use just as many stereotypes about his generation like lazy, spoiled, insecure little whinners but you know that would be doing the same thing. And I could care less what the you guys think of me. If you want to lump yourself in with that group by all means.

Quote:
Marketing has put your cohort on a pedestal since it came of age

Do you mean the same marketing that now focuses on the ever younger? Putting actors on TV shows in roles that seem stupid and rediculous for their young age?

I laugh everytime the SciFi channel puts young women in their 20s in roles as a accomplished scientist that has had a career that would take decades!

But I don't blame them. Youth has it's milage and the actors appeal to what is gradually becoming the main purchasing demographic. They did the same thing when I was young although not to such rediculous lengths.

Quote:
I've never read the generational storm but I have read Scott Burn's articles on the subject and nick is on pretty solid ground in stating that the boomer generation is the cause for SS issues simply because they happen to be a cohort that lives longer than previous cohorts that is also much larger than those that follow.


Yes but as has been stated we're talking about much more than just SS. I guess you don't read too closely.


I did give you a little more credence since you do seem to realize what Bush has done to this country judging by some of your posts. But the others you named I could care less. The New Red Minority?

I hate to break it to you but most on this board laugh at those guys on a regular basis. Mainly because they make such rediculous claims.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #240 of 452
Thread Starter 
Hell ya! I am quotable!

Here is one more for ya Frank.

I don't hate the Boomers because they are old. I am pointing out their ACTIONS which are narcissistic to the point of engaging in nihilism.

There isn't a way to save them. If the kids and grandkids are lucky, they might be able to save themselves via inflation.

Funny anecdote, my brother has a renter and the guy just up and left breaking a lease. My brother was smart and because of the guy's credit, got a double security deposit up front from him. Here is where the fun begins, my brother will do everything he is legally responsible to do with regard to prep and mitigating damages, but the mentality of the renter is that he didn't pay because he needed the money for a security deposit on his new place and of course expects back almost the full deposit pretty much immediately.

The guy feels fully justified I'm sure, but reality will suck for him. Likely, half the deposit is gone immediately to pay for mitigating the loss of rent without notification and apartment prep. However the guy is operating with the assumption that regardless of his actions, he should be getting around 95% of it back. It is a grand delusion.

As for the Boomers, "saving" for retirement but taking it back out to spend while issuing an IOU isn't saving for retirement, trying to watch your house appreciate while not saving, isn't saving for retirement and creating a government obligation that the kids and grandkids must somehow fund isn't saving for retirement.

As a generation they simply haven't saved anything for retirement and now of course cannot beat the clock.

Please address this Frank instead of just ignoring it while calling it hateful to bring it up. Avoid the generational blindspot and believe that just for a second, that the fact that you can find a perceived social injustice won't make the numbers change.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Generational Blind Spot-BOOM!