or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Generational Blind Spot-BOOM!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Generational Blind Spot-BOOM! - Page 2

post #41 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

The economic crisis is just a media conspiracy.

O'Reilly and Rove said so, so it must be true.

O'Reilly, Rove, Hannity, Coulter, Fix all dat NoiZe, et. al. are all a bunch of douche nozzle headed asshats.

Don't they know it's all the fault of the boomers?

Boomers did it, I know they did it, and I can prove it.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #42 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

O'Reilly, Rove, Hannity, Coulter, Fix all dat NoiZe, et. al. are all a bunch of douche nozzle headed asshats.

WAKEUPSHEEPLE!



WE'LLDOITLIVE!
post #43 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Generation X

Circa 1990 is calling you know who!

But I fit that description, I'm not trying to say we aren't like that.... Each generation is different, due to socioeconomic forces at work during their childhoods. Why are you unable to see the baby boomers for what and who they are?
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #44 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

But I fit that description, I'm not trying to say we aren't like that.... Each generation is different, due to socioeconomic forces at work during their childhoods. Why are you unable to see the baby boomers for what and who they are?

So presumably one of those gen x traits is "happily accepting of glib, reductive descriptions of vast groups of people, as long as it affixes blame for societal ills somewhere other than with me?"

"Socioeconomic forces at work during their childhoods" is just one of any number of contributing factors to the behavior of any given individual, and given that "boomers" encompass people from vastly disparate socioeconomic backgrounds, not even a reasonably predictive one, at that.

Is it your contention that someone who grew up in the sixties dirt poor, the son of an intermittently employed laborer, is likely to have much the same take on the nature of things as the kid who grew up prosperous? How about one of them Latino "boomers" vs. Harvard bound prep school kid? Teenage mom vs. boy who went of to Viet Nam vs. proto-computer nerd? Somehow all these people are more alike than not, in some significant way, because they grew up across a twenty year span of American history that saw some of the most rapid and profound cultural changes we've ever experienced?

I'm particularly pleased that Nick has embraced identity politics, however, although I suspect that for him "boomers" simply means "fucking hippies."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #45 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

But I fit that description, I'm not trying to say we aren't like that.... Each generation is different, due to socioeconomic forces at work during their childhoods. Why are you unable to see the baby boomers for what and who they are?

I pointed to a Time article that is now eighteen years old.

And a certain PO ... is still singing that exact same tune today, and undoubtedly will continue throughout all the tomorrows to follow.

In fact, has consistently sung that exact same tune for the past 24-months here in PO.

It's usually referred to as playing a broken record.

Pointing out that one salient fact is the sum total of my involvement in any such flawed arguments put forward from said PO ...

What and who they are?

So what and who are they, exactly?

Please be exact in an objective, quantitative, and accurately descriptive framework.

Time marches forward. D'oh! It does not move forward in arbitrary chunks of time but is continuous. D'oh!

Those that follow those that came before are the sum total of all those that came before.

It's called history.

What, exactly don't you understand about history?

Seriously?
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #46 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So presumably one of those gen x traits is "happily accepting of glib, reductive descriptions of vast groups of people, as long as it affixes blame for societal ills somewhere other than with me?"

"Socioeconomic forces at work during their childhoods" is just one of any number of contributing factors to the behavior of any given individual, and given that "boomers" encompass people from vastly disparate socioeconomic backgrounds, not even a reasonably predictive one, at that.

Is it your contention that someone who grew up in the sixties dirt poor, the son of an intermittently employed laborer, is likely to have much the same take on the nature of things as the kid who grew up prosperous? How about one of them Latino "boomers" vs. Harvard bound prep school kid? Teenage mom vs. boy who went of to Viet Nam vs. proto-computer nerd? Somehow all these people are more alike than not, in some significant way, because they grew up across a twenty year span of American history that saw some of the most rapid and profound cultural changes we've ever experienced?

I'm particularly pleased that Nick has embraced identity politics, however, although I suspect that for him "boomers" simply means "fucking dirty hippies."

tftfy, good post BTW.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #47 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm particularly pleased that Nick has embraced identity politics, however, although I suspect that for him "boomers" simply means "fucking hippies."

I love is that the new meme on the right is to bitch and moan about an entire generation. I think there's hope for their new platform in 2012:

THAT is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, birds in the trees
- Those dying generations - at their song,
The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,
Fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long
Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
Caught in that sensual music all neglect
Monuments of unageing intellect.

An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing
For every tatter in its mortal dress,
Nor is there singing school but studying
Monuments of its own magnificence;
And therefore I have sailed the seas and come
To the holy city of Byzantium.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #48 of 452
The really cool thing is that this generation of thirty something cranks can also come to loath the kids, for failing to respect them when they're older.

You just know this generation of thirty something cranks are going to so be about respect for the elders, in about twenty or thirty years. And of course they'll lie about how it was when they were young.

Good luck with that, guys.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #49 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The really cool thing is that this generation of thirty something cranks can also come to loath the kids, for failing to respect them when they're older.

You just know this generation of thirty something cranks are going to so be about respect for the elders, in about twenty or thirty years. And of course they'll lie about how it was when they were young.

Good luck with that, guys.

It's a remarkable combination of "fuck you old man!" and "get the hell outta my yard!" innit?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #50 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

It's a remarkable combination of "fuck you old man!" and "get the hell outta my yard!" innit?

It makes sense that we would be that way - since there is a baby boom on either side of us. Kind of like being squeezed between two big tits - everybody just notices the tits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Is it your contention that someone who grew up in the sixties dirt poor, the son of an intermittently employed laborer, is likely to have much the same take on the nature of things as the kid who grew up prosperous?

Yes - as long as you chop the top 10% and bottom 10% off the bell curve, and limit yourself to white people. Most everyone in the US was prosperous in the post-war boom period, because everybody else (Europe, etc) was wrecked and we were the only industrial power.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
Reply
post #51 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

It makes sense that we would be that way - since there is a baby boom on either side of us. Kind of like being squeezed between two big tits - everybody just notices the tits.



Yes - as long as you chop the top 10% and bottom 10% off the bell curve, and limit yourself to white people. Most everyone in the US was prosperous in the post-war boom period, because everybody else (Europe, etc) was wrecked and we were the only industrial power.

So by "boomers who fucked everything up" we actually mean "prosperous white people who fucked everything up", and even then I suspect we're going to have to be a little more specific.

At some point it's going to start looking like "the white ruling and executive class that fucked everything up, according to the white people hard on their heals that are pissed that American living standards are moving inexorably downward, even though the people making the most noise about the failings of the previous generation have been vocal proponents of most of the policies that have resulted in such erosion."

I think it's quicker to just say "Goddamn fucking hippies got all the sex and drugs and good times and left us with none", since we're apparently not requiring any of this to make a lick of sense.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #52 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

It's a remarkable combination of "fuck you old man!" and "get the hell outta my yard!" innit?

Eventually the right should be able to whittle itself down to Jonah Goldberg and an angry dog barking at everything.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #53 of 452
It strikes me that the kids are going to be increasingly non-white and strangely disinterested in beating up on teh fags and the godless.

I'll wager they're going to take a very dim view indeed of the idiot generation that put Bush in power so that he could well and truly Fuck. Everything. Up.

Just think, Nick: pretty soon you won't have the boomers to kick around anymore and you'll be alone with the New Monster Children. The ones who like people like Obama. The ones that hate your fucking guts.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #54 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It strikes me that the kids are going to be increasingly non-white and strangely disinterested in beating up on teh fags and the godless.

I'll wager they're going to take a very dim view indeed of the idiot generation that put Bush in power so that he could well and truly Fuck. Everything. Up.

Just think, Nick: pretty soon you won't have the boomers to kick around anymore and you'll be alone with the New Monster Children. The ones who like people like Obama. The ones that hate your fucking guts.

As much as I'd like to believe this, I know in my heart that the GOP can rally around a leader or a new group to hate like nobody's business.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #55 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

As much as I'd like to believe this, I know in my heart that the GOP can rally around a leader or a new group to hate like nobody's business.

True, I would have never figured that they'd put the financial crisis through the blame machine and come up with....... boomers. I guess if you can't blame your own failed policies and you can't blame the jews and just blaming the liberals some more strikes even your sympathizers as brazenly insane, you start casting about.....

Still, in the years to come, I don't think it's going to be so much about who the right is deciding to hate next, but how everybody else starts really hating them, and then goes from that to ignoring and forgetting about them.

There will always be, however, another bunch of 16 year olds to rediscover Ayn Rand and realize that at last someone understands the gravity of their terminal uniqueness, so the cycle can begin anew.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #56 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True, I would have never figured that they'd put the financial crisis through the blame machine and come up with....... boomers. I guess if you can't blame your own failed policies and you can't blame the jews and just blaming the liberals some more strikes even your sympathizers as brazenly insane, you start casting about.....

Still, in the years to come, I don't think it's going to be so much about who the right is deciding to hate next, but how everybody else starts really hating them, and then goes from that to ignoring and forgetting about them.

There will always be, however, another bunch of 16 year olds to rediscover Ayn Rand and realize that at last someone understands the gravity of their terminal uniqueness, so the cycle can begin anew.

AFAIK, only one of PO's favorite ... has put forward this flawed argument.

This PO'ed poster started this thread linked to an article that did not contain, in any way, shape, or form, the words "boomer" or "boomers" or "baby boomer" or "baby boomers".

I noted this fact twice, the first time the thread starter replied with gibberish, and the second time the thread starter remained silent.

For an obvious reason.

Because, I was in fact correct.

So we go from a totally unrelated article (that never mentions anything related to American age demographics in any way, shape, or form) about the economy directly into some totally unrelated illogical irrational unreasoning subjective myopic blame boomers screed.

Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #57 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The really cool thing is that this generation of thirty something cranks can also come to loath the kids, for failing to respect them when they're older.

You just know this generation of thirty something cranks are going to so be about respect for the elders, in about twenty or thirty years. And of course they'll lie about how it was when they were young.

Good luck with that, guys.

" Don't Trust Anyone Over Thirty! "

How ironic. It's the joke that spans every generation. We all get old.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #58 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think it's quicker to just say "Goddamn fucking hippies got all the sex and drugs and good times and left us with none", since we're apparently not requiring any of this to make a lick of sense.



Quote:
It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era — the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run... but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant...

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of 'history' it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time — and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened...

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights — or very early mornings — when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour... booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turnoff to take when I got to the other end... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: no doubt at all about that...

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda... You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...

And that, I think, was the handle — that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply PREVAIL. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

- Hunter S. Thompson, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

post #59 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

AFAIK, only one of PO's favorite ... has put forward this flawed argument.

This PO'ed poster started this thread linked to an article that did not contain, in any way, shape, or form, the words "boomer" or "boomers" or "baby boomer" or "baby boomers".

I noted this fact twice, the first time the thread starter replied with gibberish, and the second time the thread starter remained silent.

For an obvious reason.

Because, I was in fact correct.

So we go from a totally unrelated article (that never mentions anything related to American age demographics in any way, shape, or form) about the economy directly into some totally unrelated illogical irrational unreasoning subjective myopic blame boomers screed.


That's because certain parties here realize the jig is up and are desperate.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #60 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Yeah I don't get it. The guy who won has the same Secretary of Defense, appointed all the Senators who were deluded into voting for it for his cabinet and now he wants to put his own name on the half a trillion dollar bail out packages.

So much has changed.... Now instead of Democrat-lite, we've got Democrat Classic.

Well perhaps you should talk to the hand. Since you guys lost for obvious reasons. No one's listening very much.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #61 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Hey, stay on topic.
This is the bash-baby-boomers-of-the-day-week-month-year-decade-score thread.
Sheesh.
Please continue with your anecdotal subjective ad hominem hate/attack/rant/screed/manifesto snark goes to eleventeen about all that which is not you, TYVM.

I will and I'll continue to inform it with articles I find. You can continue to dismiss all contrary thought as hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Generation X

Circa 1990 is calling you know who!

Yeah I remember reading that in 1990 and thinking to myself two things. First I'm 20 and I have conquered the world yet. That is some standard they have there. Then I though about the boomer standard of conquering the world which involved following the dead, going to a "march" and finally getting really drunk and high and thought "wow are these guys ever full of shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

But I fit that description, I'm not trying to say we aren't like that.... Each generation is different, due to socioeconomic forces at work during their childhoods. Why are you unable to see the baby boomers for what and who they are?

He is unable to see that because then it would mean growing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So presumably one of those gen x traits is "happily accepting of glib, reductive descriptions of vast groups of people, as long as it affixes blame for societal ills somewhere other than with me?"

"Socioeconomic forces at work during their childhoods" is just one of any number of contributing factors to the behavior of any given individual, and given that "boomers" encompass people from vastly disparate socioeconomic backgrounds, not even a reasonably predictive one, at that.

Is it your contention that someone who grew up in the sixties dirt poor, the son of an intermittently employed laborer, is likely to have much the same take on the nature of things as the kid who grew up prosperous? How about one of them Latino "boomers" vs. Harvard bound prep school kid? Teenage mom vs. boy who went of to Viet Nam vs. proto-computer nerd? Somehow all these people are more alike than not, in some significant way, because they grew up across a twenty year span of American history that saw some of the most rapid and profound cultural changes we've ever experienced?

I'm particularly pleased that Nick has embraced identity politics, however, although I suspect that for him "boomers" simply means "fucking hippies."

Well we are led to believe that the last two Democratic presidents fit exactly that background so that probably undermines your snark a bit.

So I would say they are more alike than not. Twenty years prior Obama could not have been elected and likely wouldn't have a Bill Richardson to put in his cabinet. Twenty years later the kid will wonder who the hell keeps track of someone being "half this and half that" and nothing about color from the president or cabinet will be historical.

I've never said the boomers didn't try to achieve cultural change. However like most good intentions though, it really has a nefarious purpose. They hollowed out the wealth while claiming "gee we can vote for a black man" and we all get to enjoy the 11+ trillion dollar bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

I pointed to a Time article that is now eighteen years old.

And a certain PO ... is still singing that exact same tune today, and undoubtedly will continue throughout all the tomorrows to follow.

In fact, has consistently sung that exact same tune for the past 24-months here in PO.

It's usually referred to as playing a broken record.

Pointing out that one salient fact is the sum total of my involvement in any such flawed arguments put forward from said PO ...

What and who they are?

So what and who are they, exactly?

Please be exact in an objective, quantitative, and accurately descriptive framework.

Time marches forward. D'oh! It does not move forward in arbitrary chunks of time but is continuous. D'oh!

Those that follow those that came before are the sum total of all those that came before.

It's called history.

What, exactly don't you understand about history?

Seriously?

Dude, go take your meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I love is that the new meme on the right is to bitch and moan about an entire generation. I think there's hope for their new platform in 2012:

THAT is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, birds in the trees
- Those dying generations - at their song,
The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas,
Fish, flesh, or fowl, commend all summer long
Whatever is begotten, born, and dies.
Caught in that sensual music all neglect
Monuments of unageing intellect.

An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing, and louder sing
For every tatter in its mortal dress,
Nor is there singing school but studying
Monuments of its own magnificence;
And therefore I have sailed the seas and come
To the holy city of Byzantium.

I apparently didn't know that I alone am the "new meme for the right."

Apparently I'm not getting my check for my royalties. I'll need to check into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

The really cool thing is that this generation of thirty something cranks can also come to loath the kids, for failing to respect them when they're older.

You just know this generation of thirty something cranks are going to so be about respect for the elders, in about twenty or thirty years. And of course they'll lie about how it was when they were young.

Good luck with that, guys.

I suspect that the generation after the boomers isn't going to worry so much about crap like "respect" because the generation that fixated on that were just so full of shit. They will never have gotten any from the boomers so and won't have spent their lives making up strange measures of supposed social progress and good intentions to gain that "respect" so they won't expect it either.

My generation is the one the articles often complain about where, as an example one person stays home and takes care of the kids. The older feminists all scream the new women are disrespecting their legacy. The older men are wondering how you are going to keep up with the Jones when you don't work 60 hours a week and end up twice divorced and broke (even though you earned a lot) because you kept fucking the secretary.

In the meantime, we are enjoying the kids and the less hectic life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

It's a remarkable combination of "fuck you old man!" and "get the hell outta my yard!" innit?

Don't worry, enough concrete and fencing will fix that. Plus the combination is valid when Grandpa Boomer is living in the converted garage because he is broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

It makes sense that we would be that way - since there is a baby boom on either side of us. Kind of like being squeezed between two big tits - everybody just notices the tits.

Yes - as long as you chop the top 10% and bottom 10% off the bell curve, and limit yourself to white people. Most everyone in the US was prosperous in the post-war boom period, because everybody else (Europe, etc) was wrecked and we were the only industrial power.

They won't remember you are talking about a demographic that was well over 80% white to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

So by "boomers who fucked everything up" we actually mean "prosperous white people who fucked everything up", and even then I suspect we're going to have to be a little more specific.

At some point it's going to start looking like "the white ruling and executive class that fucked everything up, according to the white people hard on their heals that are pissed that American living standards are moving inexorably downward, even though the people making the most noise about the failings of the previous generation have been vocal proponents of most of the policies that have resulted in such erosion."

I think it's quicker to just say "Goddamn fucking hippies got all the sex and drugs and good times and left us with none", since we're apparently not requiring any of this to make a lick of sense.

So that statement above makes sense? You should find a way to make your ranting caricatures of my views and your own views, which are expressed in cartoonish rants more distinct because they get harder to understand when all mashed together that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Eventually the right should be able to whittle itself down to Jonah Goldberg and an angry dog barking at everything.

We've been picking up Mom and Dad and cleaning up their bullshit for a long time. The fact that the savior won't be able to save and the problem will be big enough to let the kids further down the line know they are on the hook for trillions as well should wake up and broaden up the groups holding these views pretty quickly.

If it doesn't, well then trillion dollar a year deficits will leave everyone pretty broke pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It strikes me that the kids are going to be increasingly non-white and strangely disinterested in beating up on teh fags and the godless.

I'll wager they're going to take a very dim view indeed of the idiot generation that put Bush in power so that he could well and truly Fuck. Everything. Up.

Just think, Nick: pretty soon you won't have the boomers to kick around anymore and you'll be alone with the New Monster Children. The ones who like people like Obama. The ones that hate your fucking guts.

I think you're presumptions are not only wrong, but you are already suffering under them. First I voted down prop 8 but of course it wasn't me that passed it. It was the "kids" of course that passed it. I don't mean just the young but black, latino, and asian groups that boomers and the left will come in and realize that "oh crap, they are up for grabs, they don't automatically tow the party line" and perhaps they will even be seriously hateful and pissed about it just like you demonstrate. They might even alienate them away for a generation because the default argument for disagreement from Frank, yourself and others is that it isn't really disagreement, but hate. So really when the empowered blacks that voted down prop 8 are being told by gays that they really are just hateful bigots, you might just alienate them away for a generation or two.

The people of who that dim view will be held on will be the boomers. They will be the one wondering why their entire legacy of racial wedge politics no longer works when the generations afterwards are of all races, have the power and don't know what the hell these windmills are that the boomers keep tilting at with regard to boogyman politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

As much as I'd like to believe this, I know in my heart that the GOP can rally around a leader or a new group to hate like nobody's business.

We can also let the people doing the hating have enough "good intention" rope to hang themselves with and for when they begin hating on black church and mormon church leaders for not voting as they want they can think for themselves.

Think for themselves of course really being GOP code for hate hate hate and of course more hate.

Damn, you guys really are a one note song. When the generations after the boomers wake up and collectively realize that disagreement doesn't instantly mean hate, you will be screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True, I would have never figured that they'd put the financial crisis through the blame machine and come up with....... boomers. I guess if you can't blame your own failed policies and you can't blame the jews and just blaming the liberals some more strikes even your sympathizers as brazenly insane, you start casting about.....

Still, in the years to come, I don't think it's going to be so much about who the right is deciding to hate next, but how everybody else starts really hating them, and then goes from that to ignoring and forgetting about them.

There will always be, however, another bunch of 16 year olds to rediscover Ayn Rand and realize that at last someone understands the gravity of their terminal uniqueness, so the cycle can begin anew.

Yeah. I suppose the right will just go away and there will be utopia along with that occasional 16 year old who needs to be "reeducated."

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

AFAIK, only one of PO's favorite ... has put forward this flawed argument.

This PO'ed poster started this thread linked to an article that did not contain, in any way, shape, or form, the words "boomer" or "boomers" or "baby boomer" or "baby boomers".

I noted this fact twice, the first time the thread starter replied with gibberish, and the second time the thread starter remained silent.

For an obvious reason.

Because, I was in fact correct.

So we go from a totally unrelated article (that never mentions anything related to American age demographics in any way, shape, or form) about the economy directly into some totally unrelated illogical irrational unreasoning subjective myopic blame boomers screed.

No Frank it can't just be me. Don't you know that I am my entire generation. I am also the entire right. I am the maker of memes and controller of all. I am the entire Republican party, me and my barking dog and my lawn. Now if we could just get Artman in here to post the nice pictures of all the addabox and midwinter caricatures, the thread will be done.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #62 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I will and I'll continue to inform it with articles I find. You can continue to dismiss all contrary thought as hate.



Yeah I remember reading that in 1990 and thinking to myself two things. First I'm 20 and I have conquered the world yet. That is some standard they have there. Then I though about the boomer standard of conquering the world which involved following the dead, going to a "march" and finally getting really drunk and high and thought "wow are these guys ever full of shit."



He is unable to see that because then it would mean growing up.



Well we are led to believe that the last two Democratic presidents fit exactly that background so that probably undermines your snark a bit.

So I would say they are more alike than not. Twenty years prior Obama could not have been elected and likely wouldn't have a Bill Richardson to put in his cabinet. Twenty years later the kid will wonder who the hell keeps track of someone being "half this and half that" and nothing about color from the president or cabinet will be historical.

I've never said the boomers didn't try to achieve cultural change. However like most good intentions though, it really has a nefarious purpose. They hollowed out the wealth while claiming "gee we can vote for a black man" and we all get to enjoy the 11+ trillion dollar bill.



Dude, go take your meds.



I apparently didn't know that I alone am the "new meme for the right."

Apparently I'm not getting my check for my royalties. I'll need to check into that.



I suspect that the generation after the boomers isn't going to worry so much about crap like "respect" because the generation that fixated on that were just so full of shit. They will never have gotten any from the boomers so and won't have spent their lives making up strange measures of supposed social progress and good intentions to gain that "respect" so they won't expect it either.

My generation is the one the articles often complain about where, as an example one person stays home and takes care of the kids. The older feminists all scream the new women are disrespecting their legacy. The older men are wondering how you are going to keep up with the Jones when you don't work 60 hours a week and end up twice divorced and broke (even though you earned a lot) because you kept fucking the secretary.

In the meantime, we are enjoying the kids and the less hectic life.



Don't worry, enough concrete and fencing will fix that. Plus the combination is valid when Grandpa Boomer is living in the converted garage because he is broke.



They won't remember you are talking about a demographic that was well over 80% white to begin with.



So that statement above makes sense? You should find a way to make your ranting caricatures of my views and your own views, which are expressed in cartoonish rants more distinct because they get harder to understand when all mashed together that way.



We've been picking up Mom and Dad and cleaning up their bullshit for a long time. The fact that the savior won't be able to save and the problem will be big enough to let the kids further down the line know they are on the hook for trillions as well should wake up and broaden up the groups holding these views pretty quickly.

If it doesn't, well then trillion dollar a year deficits will leave everyone pretty broke pretty quick.



I think you're presumptions are not only wrong, but you are already suffering under them. First I voted down prop 8 but of course it wasn't me that passed it. It was the "kids" of course that passed it. I don't mean just the young but black, latino, and asian groups that boomers and the left will come in and realize that "oh crap, they are up for grabs, they don't automatically tow the party line" and perhaps they will even be seriously hateful and pissed about it just like you demonstrate. They might even alienate them away for a generation because the default argument for disagreement from Frank, yourself and others is that it isn't really disagreement, but hate. So really when the empowered blacks that voted down prop 8 are being told by gays that they really are just hateful bigots, you might just alienate them away for a generation or two.

The people of who that dim view will be held on will be the boomers. They will be the one wondering why their entire legacy of racial wedge politics no longer works when the generations afterwards are of all races, have the power and don't know what the hell these windmills are that the boomers keep tilting at with regard to boogyman politics.



We can also let the people doing the hating have enough "good intention" rope to hang themselves with and for when they begin hating on black church and mormon church leaders for not voting as they want they can think for themselves.

Think for themselves of course really being GOP code for hate hate hate and of course more hate.

Damn, you guys really are a one note song. When the generations after the boomers wake up and collectively realize that disagreement doesn't instantly mean hate, you will be screwed.



Yeah. I suppose the right will just go away and there will be utopia along with that occasional 16 year old who needs to be "reeducated."



No Frank it can't just be me. Don't you know that I am my entire generation. I am also the entire right. I am the maker of memes and controller of all. I am the entire Republican party, me and my barking dog and my lawn. Now if we could just get Artman in here to post the nice pictures of all the addabox and midwinter caricatures, the thread will be done.

Trumptman knows his 3 " D " mantra from the republicans of the late 90's and early part of this century.


When under attack :


Deny

" I don't know what you're talkiing about and I'm playing dumb. "

Dismiss

" The liberal media bias. "


Divert

Blame someone else.

Only it doesn't work anymore. Can you say too many times to the well?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #63 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Trumptman knows his 3 " D " mantra from the republicans of the late 90's and early part of this century.


When under attack :


Deny

" I don't know what you're talkiing about and I'm playing dumb. "

Dismiss

" The liberal media bias. "


Divert

Blame someone else.

Only it doesn't work anymore. Can you say too many times to the well?

Well I'll call myself lucky because we get three words while you get one. Hate, hate and hate.

That well is beyond dry.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #64 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

First I voted down prop 8 but of course it wasn't me that passed it. It was the "kids" of course that passed it. I don't mean just the young but black, latino, and asian groups that boomers and the left will come in and realize that "oh crap, they are up for grabs, they don't automatically tow the party line" and perhaps they will even be seriously hateful and pissed about it just like you demonstrate.

That is not accurate. A solid majority of those under 30 (including 59% of latinos 18-29) voted down prop eight.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/searc...%20initiatives

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#CAI01p1
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #65 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Well I'll call myself lucky because we get three words while you get one. Hate, hate and hate.

That well is beyond dry.

I'm sorry if I left that impression. Watching all the floundering going on with the republican party, it's supporters, and Mr. Bush now the the election's over and they have to basically remake the republican party I'm laughing, laughing, laughing!

As a matter of fact now that Bush will be leaving I'm feeling Joy, joy, and uh joy!

I agree time to stop the hate. Now that Bush / Chenney is gone we can do that!

( I mean the well may have gone dry but he kept filling it up again )
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #66 of 452
post #67 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

That is not accurate. A solid majority of those under 30 (including 59% of latinos 18-29) voted down prop eight.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/searc...%20initiatives

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#CAI01p1

I'm going to have to hit ya with a little bit of your own link and some of my conclusions from those numbers. Nate is a numbers guy so he knows how make them draw a conclusion that he wants. However in this case, he can only make a weak claim and hope that time will make it a solid claim.

I'm going to reverse the order of his paragraphs here and call out something he obscures a bit. Then I'm going to tell you how I see the future versus how he sees it.

Quote:
Now, it's true that if new voters had voted against Prop 8 at the same rates that they voted for Obama, the measure probably would have failed. But that does not mean that the new voters were harmful on balance -- they were helpful on balance. If California's electorate had been the same as it was in 2004, Prop 8 would have passed by a wider margin.

Now the claim by others on here were that these voters are corralled, they are money, they are the future and that future will vote the Democratic party line and not even consider Republicans. Yet here they didn't do exactly as the party and even the person they were voting for (Obama) desired.

Now you grabbed the same numbers he did and they were presented last and in that context for a reason.

Quote:
Furthermore, it would be premature to say that new Latino and black voters were responsible for Prop 8's passage. Latinos aged 18-29 (not strictly the same as 'new' voters, but the closest available proxy) voted against Prop 8 by a 59-41 margin. These figures are not available for young black voters, but it would surprise me if their votes weren't fairly close to the 50-50 mark.

Now those margins make it look like a close proxy for also voting for Obama and thus doing what the Democratic party desires. Your brain and those of many others probably do a comparison with the overall numbers for California and see them as pretty close and thus in the future they will match too and this issue will move into the affirmed column.

I'm going to personally note that since I wanted this Prop 8 to fail, it would be my desire to see the numbers this way as well.

However comparing the closest available proxy to the general population isn't comparing apples with apples. It is apples to oranges.

To get a true comparison of this issue compare them with themselves and Nate did do that earlier but glossed over it quickly and moved on to the numbers he liked.

Quote:
the vast majority of whom were driven to turn out by Obama (he won 83 percent [!] of their votes) -- voted against Prop 8 by a 62-38 margin.

Now not to be rude but people tend to be certain ways when they are younger versus older, richer versus poorer, etc. The point is that the people in a blue state at the time when they are most likely to be blue (as evidenced by the fact they voted as they did on overwhelming numbers) still have 21% LESS support to gay marriage.

Now will all these new wild children stay the same as they grow up, or might they become some Volvo Driving Soccer Moms?

My point is simply that is isn't a lock or just a conclusion waiting for the clock to run out.

My secondary conclusion would be that some of the factors besides age and accruing weath that seem to conveniently change those political attitudes are going to stop being so effective. The issue of race being used to corral a type of voter is going to be far less effective in the future. The boomers are used to it being effective because they could think in very stark black and white terms since it represented their demography. Blaming the white man, claiming Bush will drag a black man behind a truck, whatever they think will represent that when he is 22% of the population and declining will just look patently ridiculous. I say this because in California that is already the way it happens to be. It leads to odd outcomes by the conventional wisdom because numberwise we should already be "in the tank" for all things Democratic.

Yet a state that went 61% for Obama couldn't pass Prop 8. I mean think about that for a second.

These kids will represent thinking that cannot be corralled by claims of hate and prejudice alone. Also they won't buy into the type of bullshit that Obama and others put out where they are against gay marriage, against prop 8 and do the wink and knowing nod routine.

It is going to be a lot more gray than black and white with regard to outcomes. The future is not "in the tank" for the Democratic agenda.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #68 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Now will all these new wild children stay the same as they grow up, or might they become some Volvo Driving Soccer Moms?

No, they'll be pimpin' low riding Volvo soccer moms...



post #69 of 452
Well, that was a whole lot of words spent rebutting a point I wasn't even making. I'm not expecting people to "toe the party line." That's a republican specialty.

And I certainly don't think the country is moving inexorably towards the "democratic agenda." To think so would be extremely foolhardy. Things are cyclical and eventually Republicans will get their shit together. I do think the country is moving inexorably towards an acceptance of gay marriage, but to me that doesn't really have anything to do with democrat vs. republican. It'll probably be one of those things that in 50 years or so (maybe 100) "kids" will accept without even thinking about it, and wonder what in the world all the consternation over gay marriage was for anyways.

All your thrashing about does not change the fact that support for gay marriage in growing in the population, and it is growing the most rapidly in younger people.

At any rate, I was merely pointing out the fallacy of your statement that "the kids" voted prop 8 in, when they clearly did not. This somehow then shifted into an argument that these young voters will change their views as they age.

While that may happen to a certain extent, 1) I'd say probably as many people in the younger set would flip the other way and 2) I actually doubt very many people in the 18-30 set will change from "no" to "yes" on a prop 8. It's one thing to change your mind about taxes, social services etc to a more conservative viewpoint. It's another to change ones views to be more restrictive on manners of civil rights. Frankly, I don't really see that happening, and I think the history of civil rights in this country tends to back me up.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
Reply
post #70 of 452
Similarly, I have no idea why my re-doing my driveway (MYSELF!) and replacing a crap pre-fab fence with a new one will somehow make my divorced parents (whose houses are paid off) move across the country to live in my garage.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Reply
post #71 of 452
Hear that, Republican brain trust? The free thinkers of tomorrow are less likely to be swayed by cultural wedge issues, which is great news for conservatives, since it's actually liberals that are all about the cultural wedge issues!

As we have just seen during Obama's relentless "blackness" campaign, during which the only ray of light was Sarah Palin's heartfelt pleas for unity.

So I guess the right should also hope the free thinkers of tomorrow are just a wee bit stupid.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #72 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I'm sorry if I left that impression. Watching all the floundering going on with the republican party, it's supporters, and Mr. Bush now the the election's over and they have to basically remake the republican party I'm laughing, laughing, laughing!

As a matter of fact now that Bush will be leaving I'm feeling Joy, joy, and uh joy!

I agree time to stop the hate. Now that Bush / Chenney is gone we can do that!

( I mean the well may have gone dry but he kept filling it up again )

You should feel the exact opposite. The big anchor around the Republican neck is getting ready to come off and now they can come out swinging without worrying about defending him. That makes their job a whole lot easier. So will the fact that under a Democratic Congress we will likely have our first trillion dollar deficit and they won't be going away under Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Well, that was a whole lot of words spent rebutting a point I wasn't even making. I'm not expecting people to "toe the party line." That's a republican specialty.

And I certainly don't think the country is moving inexorably towards the "democratic agenda." To think so would be extremely foolhardy. Things are cyclical and eventually Republicans will get their shit together. I do think the country is moving inexorably towards an acceptance of gay marriage, but to me that doesn't really have anything to do with democrat vs. republican. It'll probably be one of those things that in 50 years or so (maybe 100) "kids" will accept without even thinking about it, and wonder what in the world all the consternation over gay marriage was for anyways.

All your thrashing about does not change the fact that support for gay marriage in growing in the population, and it is growing the most rapidly in younger people.

At any rate, I was merely pointing out the fallacy of your statement that "the kids" voted prop 8 in, when they clearly did not. This somehow then shifted into an argument that these young voters will change their views as they age.

While that may happen to a certain extent, 1) I'd say probably as many people in the younger set would flip the other way and 2) I actually doubt very many people in the 18-30 set will change from "no" to "yes" on a prop 8. It's one thing to change your mind about taxes, social services etc to a more conservative viewpoint. It's another to change ones views to be more restrictive on manners of civil rights. Frankly, I don't really see that happening, and I think the history of civil rights in this country tends to back me up.

It isn't thrashing about. It is understanding numbers especially percentages and how they can shift over time. When a measure cannot pass in a blue state during a blue electoral tidal wave with huge numbers of blue voters, it becomes harder to pass in the future unless you can show momentum going that way. The claimed momentum is younger voters getting older and still voting the same way, but we know as a general people don't vote at 40 exactly as they did when they were 20. It isn't an absolute, but percentages.

My point was that the measure was already down 21 points and is likely to progress down more as those young folks age.

Finally "the kids" did vote it in if they supported other measures and candidates in appropriate percentages but did not support this measure the same way. If an interest group doesn't overwhelmingly support something in their interest, that is still a loss in my book. Your view sees 50%+1 and calls it support. My view sees -21% and knows this is likely to get worse as they age. 18-29 year olds, most of them aren't even married yet. Check back in ten years when more of them are and see if they have any strong opinions about the institution. Much like taxes, the opinion changes quickly when you are paying them instead of merely giving opinions on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Similarly, I have no idea why my re-doing my driveway (MYSELF!) and replacing a crap pre-fab fence with a new one will somehow make my divorced parents (whose houses are paid off) move across the country to live in my garage.

I didn't know you replaced a fence. I was referring to keeping kids off the lawn. I don't happen to own a dog for clarification or yell at kids or elders from my front porch (which I don't have either.)

I think we need a dry erase board with the list of the caricatures and who actually has what since apparently we switch from one to the other quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hear that, Republican brain trust? The free thinkers of tomorrow are less likely to be swayed by cultural wedge issues, which is great news for conservatives, since it's actually liberals that are all about the cultural wedge issues!

As we have just seen during Obama's relentless "blackness" campaign, during which the only ray of light was Sarah Palin's heartfelt pleas for unity.

So I guess the right should also hope the free thinkers of tomorrow are just a wee bit stupid.

Well those of us that are less stupid know that you call the liberal agenda civil rights and the conservative agenda cultural wedge issues, but both have agendas regardless. Tax the rich, spread the wealth, white boys party that can't attract any one younger than 30, and anyone who is single, no cultural wedge issues there folks. None atall.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
post #73 of 452
post #74 of 452
It's interesting that you post that, Artman because my understanding is that at birth Boomers came with a tag that said "Light fuse and stand back."
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #75 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's interesting that you post that, Artman because my understanding is that at birth Boomers came with a tag that said "Light fuse and stand back."


I think WARNING: SHOOTS FLAMING BALLS says it all.

Though I know this has probably squat to do with this topic, I thought it was funny:

Craigslist - To the wingnut who stole my Obama/Biden magnet and left a note - w4m

Quote:
To the wingnut who stole my Obama/Biden magnet and left a note - w4m Date: 2008-11-20, 12:49AM PST

I was really angry when I got to my car, which was minding its own business parked in the Barnes & Noble parking lot, and I saw that someone had stolen my precious Obama magnet! I waited more than 2 months for that magnet to come in the mail!!

But then as I was driving home I noticed a small white paper flapping in the breeze under my windshield wiper. I pulled over to retrieve it and it was a sloppily-scribbled, psychotic expression of your wingnut political beliefs. I do not care about your paranoid mental disorder (I quote: "Are you ready to give up your freedom? It's COMING MORON!!")

You stole my magnet. I want it back. I'll give you 24 hours to put it back on my scion, which will be parked there tomorrow... or I will take the scrap of Wells Fargo bank statement you wrote your wing-note on to my friend who works for Wells Fargo. She will scan the barcode on the corner of your note and tell me who you are. And I will come steal something YOU value, perhaps your fingernail clipping collection or John McCain blow-up doll!

You have until sundown Thursday, douchbag!

Great balls of fire!
post #76 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

No Frank it can't just be me. Don't you know that I am my entire generation. I am also the entire right. I am the maker of memes and controller of all. I am the entire Republican party, me and my barking dog and my lawn. Now if we could just get Artman in here to post the nice pictures of all the addabox and midwinter caricatures, the thread will be done.

Three times.

Three times, I've brought up the one salient fact about this thread.

Three times, you have now avoided making a direct rebuttal of that one salient fact.

Your ... is palpable, unmitigated, and incontrovertible.



For the 4th time, the original link that started this thread...

... does not contain the words ...

"boom"

"boomer"

"boomers"

"baby"

"baby boom"

"baby boomer"

"baby boomers"
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #77 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You should feel the exact opposite. The big anchor around the Republican neck is getting ready to come off and now they can come out swinging without worrying about defending him. That makes their job a whole lot easier. So will the fact that under a Democratic Congress we will likely have our first trillion dollar deficit and they won't be going away under Obama.



It isn't thrashing about. It is understanding numbers especially percentages and how they can shift over time. When a measure cannot pass in a blue state during a blue electoral tidal wave with huge numbers of blue voters, it becomes harder to pass in the future unless you can show momentum going that way. The claimed momentum is younger voters getting older and still voting the same way, but we know as a general people don't vote at 40 exactly as they did when they were 20. It isn't an absolute, but percentages.

My point was that the measure was already down 21 points and is likely to progress down more as those young folks age.

Finally "the kids" did vote it in if they supported other measures and candidates in appropriate percentages but did not support this measure the same way. If an interest group doesn't overwhelmingly support something in their interest, that is still a loss in my book. Your view sees 50%+1 and calls it support. My view sees -21% and knows this is likely to get worse as they age. 18-29 year olds, most of them aren't even married yet. Check back in ten years when more of them are and see if they have any strong opinions about the institution. Much like taxes, the opinion changes quickly when you are paying them instead of merely giving opinions on them.



I didn't know you replaced a fence. I was referring to keeping kids off the lawn. I don't happen to own a dog for clarification or yell at kids or elders from my front porch (which I don't have either.)

I think we need a dry erase board with the list of the caricatures and who actually has what since apparently we switch from one to the other quickly.



Well those of us that are less stupid know that you call the liberal agenda civil rights and the conservative agenda cultural wedge issues, but both have agendas regardless. Tax the rich, spread the wealth, white boys party that can't attract any one younger than 30, and anyone who is single, no cultural wedge issues there folks. None atall.

Quote:
The big anchor around the Republican neck is getting ready to come off and now they can come out swinging without worrying about defending him. That makes their job a whole lot easier.

Sorry Nick it's way too late for that!

Quote:
You should feel the exact opposite. The big anchor around the Republican neck is getting ready to come off and now they can come out swinging without worrying about defending him. That makes their job a whole lot easier. So will the fact that under a Democratic Congress we will likely have our first trillion dollar deficit and they won't be going away under Obama.

You still don't get it. You really need to get your head straight with current times. This isn't the year 2000 any more. This problem with Bush goes much deeper. You didn't think it was over did you? I expect there will be investigations going on for better part of a year. It'll be like pulling up floor boards in an old house and watching the bugs scurry away. I'm sure the " Discoveries " will go on for a while and be the OMFG type. They could have their shredders going 24/7 but I think they're wise enough to know it's better just to leave it alone now.

Things will improve with Obama ( how could they not since all this time we've basically had an ape in charge ). The republicans ( in vain ) will try to blame the improvement on something else. We won't have a republican in the Whitehouse for at least 8 years and maybe 12. They'll be back but it'll be awhile before they'll trust them with the reins again. Think my predictions are wrong? Well remember what you've said about them and the last 2 elections now.

About the economy most polls have shown people blame Bush for the economic trouble. So I don't think they'll have any trouble identifying where the deficit came from. Sometimes fixing other people's problems can be expensive. It's too bad Obama can't start with a surplus from the previous administration like Bush did.

By the way. Most of those kids voted for Obama. I can't believe you really think all the nonsense you've been spouting here is true. However if you really do you're about to be disappointed because you're waiting for a democratic disaster and a diversion to from Bush to boomers that's not going to happen.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #78 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Three times.

Three times, I've brought up the one salient fact about this thread.

Three times, you have now avoided making a direct rebuttal of that one salient fact.

Your ... is palpable, unmitigated, and incontrovertible.



For the 4th time, the original link that started this thread...

... does not contain the words ...

"boom"

"boomer"

"boomers"

"baby"

"baby boom"

"baby boomer"

"baby boomers"

You know maybe he just thinks it does. ( I'd put a wink after this but the forum format says there are already too many images ).
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #79 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

You know maybe he just thinks it does. ( I'd put a wink after this but the forum format says there are already too many images ).

When that happens, I simply remove however many Smilies/images from the quoted portion(s).

When someone wants to present a POV they usually source a link that supports said POV. The POV that the thread starter linked to, is in no way, shape, or form supportive or representative of the posters underlying POV.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #80 of 452
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Three times.

Three times, I've brought up the one salient fact about this thread.

Three times, you have now avoided making a direct rebuttal of that one salient fact.

Your ... is palpable, unmitigated, and incontrovertible.



For the 4th time, the original link that started this thread...

... does not contain the words ...

"boom"

"boomer"

"boomers"

"baby"

"baby boom"

"baby boomer"

"baby boomers"

Yes and not every article about the Klan happens to mention that the people under the sheets are white.

When a Boomer is writing about a Boomer president discussing the mostly Boomer ongress passing huge bills that require a printing press. It is a Boomer bill and a Boomer action.

BOOMERS!BOOMERS!BOOMERS!

Just for good measure.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Generational Blind Spot-BOOM!