or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Generational Blind Spot-BOOM!

The Generational Blind Spot-BOOM! - Page 12

post #441 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

The "technicality" generation.

You want to talk about an op-ed that manages to boil down the basic modus operandi of an entire generation, well this is it.

I'm sorry you have issues with your parents. That must be an awful burden.

But then again life has a way of making a person see both sides so some day a younger generation will be looking at you going " What were you thinking? ". It always seems like it's going to be a longer time than it really is and by then you'll be going " How did I get here? ". The joke will be on you.

I wish I could be around for the punchline.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #442 of 452
The even more funny joke is how I managed to get all these people around the world to help me propagate my delusion by writing articles and books that manage to address the issue with all these wonderful facts and figures.

There won't be a punchline when the boomers with their bad health, bad economics and lack of savings want to retire, tune out and have the grandkids pay for their hip and knee replacements due to obesity.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #443 of 452
Quote:

The even more funny joke is how I managed to get all these people around the world to help me propagate my delusion by writing articles and books that manage to address the issue with all these wonderful facts and figures.

There won't be a punchline when the boomers with their bad health, bad economics and lack of savings want to retire, tune out and have the grandkids pay for their hip and knee replacements due to obesity.

Quote:
all

Quote:
There won't be a punchline when the boomers with their bad health............

Yeah. That's why this genration is living longer than any other. And really trumpy do you expect you're not going to need medical treatment of this nature when you're older? People get fat because their metabolisim slows when thay get older. You have to work very hard at counteracting that ( unless of course you're blessed with a quick metabolic rate naturally ). From what I've heard the real problem is with kids now days because instead of going outside and playing like we used to they're glued to the computer or game console.
post #444 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Yeah. That's why this genration is living longer than any other. And really trumpy do you expect you're not going to need medical treatment of this nature when you're older? People get fat because their metabolisim slows when thay get older. You have to work very hard at counteracting that ( unless of course you're blessed with a quick metabolic rate naturally ). From what I've heard the real problem is with kids now days because instead of going outside and playing like we used to they're glued to the computer or game console.

You have a bit of misinformation in here. Yes, your metabolism slows down. And this leads to you getting fatter, IF you keep eating as if your metabolism has not slowed. The issue is not some magical problem that has to be overcome with lots of effort. You have to make a conscious decision to not eat until you are fat. It is your choice, and you are solely responsible for the outcome. Also, it is the parents responsibility to get their lazy, slothful kids off the couch and train them to play outside so they do not get fat. That way, when they become adults they have been taught the correct choices for their health and will have been equipped to make those right choices as they get to the age where they can make their own choices. Personal responsibility does not stop as you get older, it only gets stronger.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #445 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

You have a bit of misinformation in here. Yes, your metabolism slows down. And this leads to you getting fatter, IF you keep eating as if your metabolism has not slowed. The issue is not some magical problem that has to be overcome with lots of effort. You have to make a conscious decision to not eat until you are fat. It is your choice, and you are solely responsible for the outcome. Also, it is the parents responsibility to get their lazy, slothful kids off the couch and train them to play outside so they do not get fat. That way, when they become adults they have been taught the correct choices for their health and will have been equipped to make those right choices as they get to the age where they can make their own choices. Personal responsibility does not stop as you get older, it only gets stronger.

Noah. How old are you? There's nothing magical or misinformed about my statement. The big surprise to many people is how :

1. You can't continue to eat as you have for most of your life.

2. Just how much you'll have to get up off the couch to counteract the effects of a slowing metabolic rate ( it gets worse as time goes on ).

3. How it's not just hard it's a lot harder for people who when they're young have no concept.

Quote:
Also, it is the parents responsibility to get their lazy, slothful kids off the couch and train them to play outside so they do not get fat. That way, when they become adults they have been taught the correct choices for their health and will have been equipped to make those right choices as they get to the age where they can make their own choices.

Noah my generation did nothing but play outside. All we had was TV. No video games or the internet. Yes it's the responsibility of the parents to counteract that but as you've already stated it's also a " personal responsibility ". Kids don't want to walk away from all of this. You in many cases have to force them. But they also have to see the benifit or they won't follow suit when they become adults. It's a two way street and not just a Boomer problem ( the tech will only get more tempting ) as we'll find out in the long run.

What trumpy would imply is that his generation will never need hip replacements ( which in most cases are a disease and have nothing to do with drug abuse ) or extra medical treatment. Guess again. When you get old your body starts to fail. It's been failing since day one. That's just the way it will be for everyone ( of every genration ) until they figure something else out.

Thinking you'll stay young forever by sheer force of will only works for so long.
post #446 of 452
Thought this might belong in this thread, or the news one....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/us/13generations.html

I was actually not surprised by the information in the article, but was sad to read some of it. For example:

Quote:
Laura Tisdel, 28, who grew up in Detroit, said, I figured Id either get married in college or right after and basically be a smart mother.

Instead Ms. Tisdel ended up getting a job offer in publishing in New York City. She said she came close to marrying when she was 23, but then realized, I wasnt only not ready to get married to this guy, but I wasnt ready to get married at all.

She recently got engaged. Her grandparents thought she was a lesbian spinster for waiting so long, she said, while her New York friends think she is too young to be marrying. Her parents, 53-year-old baby boomers who met at 14 and married at 21, told her not to be in a rush.

The longer I waited to get married, the more reticent I became, she said. She and her fiancé want children, but feel they are not yet ready. Were both nervous about what would be lost, she said.

That their concern is mainly for what they might lose is sad to say the least... Common, but sad.
NoahJ
NoahJ
post #447 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Thought this might belong in this thread, or the news one....

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/us/13generations.html

I was actually not surprised by the information in the article, but was sad to read some of it. For example:

That their concern is mainly for what they might lose is sad to say the least... Common, but sad.

My wife and I were just talking about this tonight. Some people just aren't cut out for families. It's really good these people are taking children seriously. It's a big undertaking.
If they really aren't cut out for it decide that now before you have any.

Otherwise the article just seems to be mirroring the fact that people are living longer so they do things later in life. The article talks about the year 1900. At that time the average life expectancy was 49. I would expect a lot of things would change because of twice the lifespan.
post #448 of 452
ABCNews.com

Quote:
"I knew I had to have an income from somewhere, and my business wasn't giving it to me," she said. "I just went online and, boom, three weeks later I had the check."

I love the language here. An employer lays one off and no one will "give" them another job or their business fails and thus they are "forced" to take Social Security.

They aren't forced to work independently, or draw on savings, or merely take a job that pays less. They are "forced" to take Social Security early.

The biggest and most corrupt generation in history is getting ready to grab onto the public teat even earlier than everyone imagined.

post #449 of 452
Laurence Kotlikoff, the co-author of the book "The Coming Generational Storm" has a new column out and it is quite the read.

Quote:
No. It has done its homework. So has the Congressional Budget Office whose Long-Term Budget Outlook, released in June, shows an even larger problem.

Unofficial Liabilities

Based on the CBOs data, I calculate a fiscal gap of $202 trillion, which is more than 15 times the official debt. This gargantuan discrepancy between our official debt and our actual net indebtedness isnt surprising. It reflects what economists call the labeling problem. Congress has been very careful over the years to label most of its liabilities unofficial to keep them off the books and far in the future.

For example, our Social Security FICA contributions are called taxes and our future Social Security benefits are called transfer payments. The government could equally well have labeled our contributions loans and called our future benefits repayment of these loans less an old age tax, with the old age tax making up for any difference between the benefits promised and principal plus interest on the contributions.

The fiscal gap isnt affected by fiscal labeling. Its the only theoretically correct measure of our long-run fiscal condition because it considers all spending, no matter how labeled, and incorporates long-term and short-term policy.

$4 Trillion Bill

How can the fiscal gap be so enormous?

Simple. We have 78 million baby boomers who, when fully retired, will collect benefits from Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid that, on average, exceed per-capita GDP. The annual costs of these entitlements will total about $4 trillion in todays dollars. Yes, our economy will be bigger in 20 years, but not big enough to handle this size load year after year.

This is what happens when you run a massive Ponzi scheme for six decades straight, taking ever larger resources from the young and giving them to the old while promising the young their eventual turn at passing the generational buck.

post #450 of 452
Yahoo News

This is another example of where a generation should step up but instead is deciding to bleed the future for what they want today.

Apparently an unknown side-effect of exposure to Agent Orange is.... aging.

Sure Agent Orange once had known side effects, and once had proof that you were actually exposed to it. Now you simply have to have been in the country of Vietnam and be suffering from the types of ailments you would get from... aging.

As if there were any doubt this generation is going to bleed us all to death already, this should certainly put an end to that doubt.

post #451 of 452
NYTimes - Krugman

This is a startling wake up call from Krugman. He sounds so grumpy but what else can you be when you engage in generational theft and wake up to the fact that the people you are screwing over aren't going to play along.

Default via money printing was eluded to in several posts here by me. Krugman plays his cards and notes, that this is what he believes should be happening. That was the generational trump card, the belief that you could print away the dollar and somehow not destroy the currency.

Only it isn't working. They aren't taking the prescribed course of lying with regard to default. Instead of printing away the problem, they are discharging the problem via bankruptcy.

As Krugman notes, this is very ugly and by that he means it won't allow the printing presses.

What he doesn't realize is that the printing presses are still going to run as well. There is no way to cover the magnitude of the problem the boomers have created. However the fact that he groggily and grumpily admits the beginnings of the problem shows what is coming down the road for us all.

post #452 of 452
Quote:

NYTimes - Krugman

This is a startling wake up call from Krugman. He sounds so grumpy but what else can you be when you engage in generational theft and wake up to the fact that the people you are screwing over aren't going to play along.

Default via money printing was eluded to in several posts here by me. Krugman plays his cards and notes, that this is what he believes should be happening. That was the generational trump card, the belief that you could print away the dollar and somehow not destroy the currency.

Only it isn't working. They aren't taking the prescribed course of lying with regard to default. Instead of printing away the problem, they are discharging the problem via bankruptcy.

As Krugman notes, this is very ugly and by that he means it won't allow the printing presses.

What he doesn't realize is that the printing presses are still going to run as well. There is no way to cover the magnitude of the problem the boomers have created. However the fact that he groggily and grumpily admits the beginnings of the problem shows what is coming down the road for us all.

I love this part:

Quote:
A naive view says that what we need is a return to virtue: everyone needs to save more, pay down debt, and restore healthy balance sheets.

Krugman would be amusing if he weren't so idiotic.

And what does he call for instead of virtue? Well a "virtue" of a very different sort:

Quote:
So what will happen? In the end, Id argue, what must happen is an effective default on a significant part of debt, one way or another.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Generational Blind Spot-BOOM!