or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Impossible To Buy For

Impossible To Buy For

post #1 of 20
I've just completed my Christmas shopping for my family, and I just wanted to take a moment here to say that MY FATHER IS IMPOSSIBLE TO BUY FOR.

Who's impossible to buy for in your family?
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #2 of 20
So is my father. That's why my brother and I have stopped buying for him.

Other than my dad, everyone else in my family is a breeze.
post #3 of 20
Mom. She started receiving gift certificates to the Mall many years ago
post #4 of 20
I should note that I finally settled on getting my father a Jack Sack.
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

A Man Bag! A Murse! Sweet!

J/K Probly different in the UK
post #6 of 20
My wife calls my bag my man purse. I do, too.
post #7 of 20
This is who the bottle of booze/wine and/or fruitcake of the month is for.
post #8 of 20
My dad as well. He already has everything he needs. I always end up getting him an iTunes gift card or some random Star Trek-themed knick-knack.
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" - Isaac Asimov
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do" - Isaac Asimov
post #9 of 20
father as well. I need ideas, and asap! need to order something and get it by the 24th. Under $60 if possible. I can get other people to chip in if need be. Suggestions?
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs23 View Post

father as well. I need ideas, and asap! need to order something and get it by the 24th. Under $60 if possible. I can get other people to chip in if need be. Suggestions?

Man purse.
post #11 of 20
Quote:

Man purse.

I thought it might be decent, since he does carry a bunch of random stuff in a bag...haha; but my sister laughed at it, and I dunno if he would use it really.

Are there any tripods with a quick release, pan/tilt swivel head, that also has a bubble leveler, but not $700 /?? He has a Nikon D-80, and the tripod he has now is not sturdy enough.
post #12 of 20
I was wandering though REI yesterday. It's colder than hell here now so REI is a good place to look for gifts. My kids got goggles for snow days.
post #13 of 20
I ended up getting him a bubble-level for the hotshoe on his Nikon DSLR. It's a 3-way leveler, so it will work well to get the tripod straight for landscape shots, etc. $20; He thought it was pretty cool. Just in case anyone needed something different to get anyone, it's a cool little item.

for example; one like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-337-.../dp/B00009R6J7
post #14 of 20
Great gift. It looks like a two way level to me. It also assumes that the hot shoe is level with the image plane. Don't get me started on "level".
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Great gift. It looks like a two way level to me. It also assumes that the hot shoe is level with the image plane. Don't get me started on "level".

Oh yea; sorry, I didn't link to the particular item I bought...the one at the link is a two way. ... And yes...just realized though that you are right about the image plane being "level". Well hopefully the eye in coorination with the machine will get a good result. I'll let ya know how it works!
post #16 of 20
Just ignore me. I work with a guy that asks if I "QAed the ruler" I'm using. Anything short of NIST calibration is suspect in my world.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Just ignore me. I work with a guy that asks if I "QAed the ruler" I'm using. Anything short of NIST calibration is suspect in my world.

Now I'm just curious; QAed = quality assuranced? If so that's hilarious! Likewise what is NIST/what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs23 View Post

Now I'm just curious; QAed = quality assuranced? If so that's hilarious! Likewise what is NIST/what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

NIST is the National Institute for Standards and Technology. They set rules and measures and associated calibration/tracking standards. For certain fields of science this is exceedingly important and labs pay a hefty NIST calibration premium.

NIST also has a research wing that advances technologies in what used to be purely non-medical fields...
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
"In a republic, voters may vote for the leaders they want, but they get the leaders they deserve."
post #19 of 20
Quote:

How did it go over? I bought my old man a crossbow for shootin' varmint in his garden. Silent, like Rambo, so the neighbors don't complain.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #20 of 20
Well, he used it the very next day, which I suppose is good.

A crossbow, huh? I would imagine that those are pretty quiet so long as it's a clean kill. Otherwise it could be very loud. For a while.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › Impossible To Buy For