post #121 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

First pure sulfuric acid is not naturally occurring on earth.

Sulfuric acid is formed naturally by the oxidation of sulfide minerals, such as iron sulfide. It however readily combines with water which is the thing that stops us being like Venus.

All this discussion ignores the core fact that we are not apart from nature (well not us non-Americans anyway). Looking at all the trends not just the rapidly changing atmospheric carbon dioxide, reductions in glacial ice cover, and steadily rising temperatures, shows that something is happening.

Personally when my house gets too warm for comfort I turn the heating down or off, not busy myself chopping more wood to throw on the fire.

The geological indicator layer for the great extinction event, at the end of the Cretaceous, 65 myo was iridium suggesting an extraterrestrial impact.

The indicator for what will no doubt be the end of the Holocene, marking an equally dramatic extinction event, will be concrete, bitumen and plastics. This will be the hallmark of the actual cause, which is the explosive expansion of one species of ape which for the first time in this planet's history has eliminated all its potential predators and reformed the surface of the Earth and even life in the ocean depths. All in an unprecedentedly short period of time.

The intelligence that has caused this total and utter conquest of the planet unfortunately is only a thin veneer over the basic primal urges that drive the species onwards.

The required self restraint that is all that holds us back from self harm appears entirely lacking, as those at the front who can see what is coming are pushed on, by the hordes behind, into the inevitable catastrophe.

Nobody wants to be the first to call a stop to the pointless consumption that has got us where we are today. Everybody seems to want to fantasise that it will all just go away.