or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009) - Page 8

post #281 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

It says for private home use. If you want to lend it as long as money doesn't change hands it's ok. It's when you charge for it like a video store, charge for a public performance, or duplicate that you run into trouble.

I think you will find that, that means the purchaser of the discs OWN HOME, not every tom dick and harry you wish to lend it two, if that were the case, why press up more than a few hundred copies?

GOT IT
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #282 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

I think it will take 10 years for the possibility to become widely adopted in the same way physical media is. Not just because of bandwidth but the other issues also like the movie studios and the way people look at purchases. In the mean time we can see how BluRay fairs adoption wise.

I went the long route with Walter explaining everything I could because he didn't seem to understand the discussion in the first place.

iTunes is the number one music distributor in the US.. that happened in less than ten years.

so, in less than ten years most people have accepted it, it is now accepted, it has now happened, come to pass and is a fact of most peoples lives. Therefore your argument is dead, it has ceased to be, it is a dead parrot!

in what sense is iTunes being the number one choice of people for the distribution of music, NOT happening.

in the sense that t has already happened?
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #283 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

iTunes is the number one music distributor in the US.. that happened in less than ten years.

so, in less than ten years most people have accepted it, it is now accepted, it has now happened, come to pass and is a fact of most peoples lives. Therefore your argument is dead, it has ceased to be, it is a dead parrot!

in what sense is iTunes being the number one choice of people for the distribution of music, NOT happening.

in the sense that t has already happened?


Walter.

I use iTunes also. It'a a success right now! What the hell does that have to do with my argument?

Learn to read. Please.

You missed my point on the side of that barn by a mile!

Are you stoned or something when you read these posts?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #284 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I think you will find that, that means the purchaser of the discs OWN HOME, not every tom dick and harry you wish to lend it two, if that were the case, why press up more than a few hundred copies?

GOT IT


Look it up. It's just like books or any other copyrighted material. But still Walter this isn't at the heart of the argument.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #285 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

as I understood it, YOU were moaning on about how digital downloads/rental services wouldn't work.

the thing is they are already there, in place, by many companies, did you check out the netflix service at all? or are you too blinded by your own stubbornness to actually check out a link?

Quote:
as I understood it, YOU were moaning on about how digital downloads/rental services wouldn't work.


No.

EHHHHHHHAAAAAAA!!!!

Sorry that wasn't the right answer! Tell Walter what complimentary gift he gets to take home.

I refuse to restate for you. Learn to read!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #286 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

ITS ILLEGAL

NOW do YOU understand the difficulty?

Dumty, dumb, dumb, dumb!


For example here's a set of guidlines ( interpreted for you ) from a local school as an example.

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/district/de...opyright.shtml

From that page :

Quote:
Public Performance rights conveyed only through the purchase of a separate license from the copyright owner. It is a violation of Federal law to exhibit prerecorded videos and dvds beyond the scope of the family and social acquaintances - regardless of whether or not admission is charged. Ownership of videos and dvds does not constitute ownership of copyright.

Social aquaintances implies outside of your immediate family or home. So in other words you can't go out on a street corner, hang a sheet on a wall, and show this in a public gathering of people you don't know ( even if you don't charge admission unless you purchase a license ) but you can show or lend this to a friend that you do know. An " aquaintance ".

And still Walter this isn't even at the heart of the argument. My argument is about weither or not downloads will replace physical media. If they do they will have to meet requirments from the consumer and have to be legal ( ie. Not torrents of a movie someone copied in a theater with a video camera ) to be widely accepted and a replacement for physical media. Learn to read! I refuse to restate! ( even though I just did for you ).

Got it?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #287 of 669
[QUOTE=jimmac;1365576]Dumty, dumb, dumb, dumb!


For example here's a set of guidlines ( interpreted for you ) from a local school as an example.

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/district/de...opyright.shtml

From that page :



Social aquaintances implies outside of your immediate family or home. So in other words you can't go out on a street corner, hang a sheet on a wall, and show this in a public gathering of people you don't know ( even if you don't charge admission unless you purchase a license ) but you can show or lend this to a friend that you do know. An " aquaintance ".

And still Walter this isn't even at the heart of the argument. My argument is about weither or not downloads will replace physical media. If they do they will have to meet requirments from the consumer and have to be legal ( ie. Not torrents of a movie someone copied in a theater with a video camera ) to be widely accepted and a replacement for physical media. Learn to read! I refuse to restate! ( even though I just did for you ).

Here's an organizer for sale designed to keep track of your DVDs when you loan them to friends and family!

http://www.supershareware.com/info/dvd-organizer.html

Quote:
Now you can easily keep track of your DVD collection. By keeping your dvds cataloged, you know what movies you have the next time you're looking for something to watch. In addition, if you loan out your dvds to friends or family, this program will keep track of that.



Got it?

Sorry guys I guess I quoted my self to add that.!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #288 of 669
What on Earth? Jimmac, you're Obama supporter #1. Why are you posting in the DVD thread NOW?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #289 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

lending isnt distribution?

what is it exactly then?

It's lending. That's why it has it's own special word and isn't called "temporary distribution."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I think you will find that, that means the purchaser of the discs OWN HOME,

Now you're really stretching your credibility as a rational human being. By your logic it's illegal for me to watch my DVD in a car or traveling with a laptop. I suppose I should turn myself in for all the DVDs I've bought and given to people as gifts.

If you really are uptight about using the absolute most restrictive possible interpretation of the law I hope you've you turned yourself in every time a Windows program you used performed an "illegal operation," because if you didn't you're practicing a double standard.
post #290 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

What on Earth? Jimmac, you're Obama supporter #1. Why are you posting in the DVD thread NOW?


Unlike some posters here I can multitask.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #291 of 669
In this forum we may disagree with each other.
It's OK to be provocative, spicy, witty and even stubborn.
It's even reasonable to be wrong from time to time.

But there is no actual need to be incredibly rude.

It does not actually strengthen the argument.

C.
post #292 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

In this forum we may disagree with each other.
It's OK to be provocative, spicy, witty and even stubborn.
It's even reasonable to be wrong from time to time.

But there is no actual need to be incredibly rude.

It does not actually strengthen the argument.

C.


Good manners class had been voided from schools in the states while ago. Perhaps, Obama can change that. Even Barnie, the purple dinosour, has a DVD on the matter. I think everyone should go watch it. I have a copy to lend out if anyone wants it. I consider you guys friends considering our involvement in the forum for last several years.

Perhaps, we should define what is "incredibly rude" and start from there?
always a newbie
Reply
always a newbie
Reply
post #293 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

In this forum we may disagree with each other.
It's OK to be provocative, spicy, witty and even stubborn.
It's even reasonable to be wrong from time to time.

But there is no actual need to be incredibly rude.

It does not actually strengthen the argument.

C.

Considering Frank's question, the motivation ( if you've read anything in PO ), and the way it was asked.


Which of us are you talking about?

Unless you're talking about my discussion with Walter. In which case he just wasn't stubbornly absorbing all the material and misrepresenting my case. Then on top of that posting inaccurate conclusions about the issue.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #294 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Dumty, dumb, dumb, dumb!


For example here's a set of guidlines ( interpreted for you ) from a local school as an example.

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/district/de...opyright.shtml

From that page :



Social aquaintances implies outside of your immediate family or home. So in other words you can't go out on a street corner, hang a sheet on a wall, and show this in a public gathering of people you don't know ( even if you don't charge admission unless you purchase a license ) but you can show or lend this to a friend that you do know. An " aquaintance ".

And still Walter this isn't even at the heart of the argument. My argument is about weither or not downloads will replace physical media. If they do they will have to meet requirments from the consumer and have to be legal ( ie. Not torrents of a movie someone copied in a theater with a video camera ) to be widely accepted and a replacement for physical media. Learn to read! I refuse to restate! ( even though I just did for you ).

Got it?

clearly your countries laws are open to a different interpretation.

funny how you consider its someone else who should learn to read, iTunes HAS replaced the CD distribution model.

are your own personal desires getting in the way to blind you from seeing that the same will happen with digital video distribution?

I have, I believe, argued against this point myself in the past, the thing is I have learnt to change my viewpoint with new evidence, it can happen when you stop REFUSING to see the digital writing on the wall.

"Progress" and "refusal", don't make good bedfellows. at least IMO.

but hey, if your blue in the face, you can opt for free will, no-ones making you post here
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #295 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

What on Earth? Jimmac, you're Obama supporter #1. Why are you posting in the DVD thread NOW?

thats just plain funny.

---

slightly OT

I'm really glad your country has elected someone intelligent, I'm even a little jealous
I hope he lives up to some of the promise I've seen.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #296 of 669
OK has anyone got an AppleTV running Boxee ?

I was considering installing the ATV Flash software. and was wondering if anyone has gone that route?

Primarily it would be for the convenience of getting BBC iPlayer on the ATV (a UK only Hulu like service without adverts)

I don't want to futz about with the ATV, so the idea of sticking a USB in the ATV and installing with maximum ease and minimal effort on my part is a fair draw, and almost worth the cost. but of course any input is welcome.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #297 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

clearly your countries laws are open to a different interpretation.

funny how you consider its someone else who should learn to read, iTunes HAS replaced the CD distribution model.

are your own personal desires getting in the way to blind you from seeing that the same will happen with digital video distribution?

I have, I believe, argued against this point myself in the past, the thing is I have learnt to change my viewpoint with new evidence, it can happen when you stop REFUSING to see the digital writing on the wall.

"Progress" and "refusal", don't make good bedfellows. at least IMO.

but hey, if your blue in the face, you can opt for free will, no-ones making you post here

Yes but Walter you had the argument all wrong! That's why I was getting frustrated. And from your statement I'm still not sure you have it right. I have no problem with iTunes having replaced the CD distribution model. It has ! Ok?

But downloads will not completely replace the video distrubution model ( especially sales ) until it meets certain criteria previously discussed here. Video is a different kettle of fish controlled by different people. That's why you can't burn a video to a DVD or anything else from iTunes ( transfer it to you iPod yes but how many iPods hook to your TV in the living room? ). The exception is items like Apple TV which not everyone has. According to trends not everyone's going to. More people have a BD player. In order to knock out physical media this adoption has to be widespread.

It's limited in how you can watch it. Hence physical sales remain until this can be worked out to everyone's satisfaction. Because of that physical media is here to stay for awhile and BluRay will have a longer chance than it would to catch on. That's what the discussion is about. Not if I believe if iTunes is viable. It already is.

And Walter I thought you were an advocate of BD so isn't this a good thing?
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #298 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

thats just plain funny.

---

slightly OT

I'm really glad your country has elected someone intelligent, I'm even a little jealous
I hope he lives up to some of the promise I've seen.


Walter. He doesn't like Obama. He's a Republican. His comment to me was a shot across the bow concerning my political views. I'm for Obama.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #299 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

OK has anyone got an AppleTV running Boxee ?

Yep. It's easy to install (if you use a 2GB stick)
Boxee can be a bit slow and flakey on the AppleTV.
iPlayer is OK.
Boxee is not as good as playing 720p content as the native Quicktime player.
But you can put stuff on a server and play it without messing around with iChoonez.

C.
post #300 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Walter. He doesn't like Obama. He's a Republican. His comment to me was a shot across the bow concerning my political views. I'm for Obama.

Nonsense. It just seemed weird that you, of all people, would be posting in the DVD discussion three minutes before your guy takes the oath.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #301 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat View Post

Look, I have nothing against BB, I shop there for DVDs, but the fact is I don't care about the extra features with BD. A cheap upconverter will do near HD, which may be good enough. All I'm saying is that at these prices, the general public isn't buying. And if the general public doesn't buy, then BD either withers and dies or becomes an expensive niche product.

Pardon me while I eat my words.
A week after this post, I found Blu-rays at Sam's Club for $9.88. I bought one, because I had already ordered, from Amazon, a Samsung 7.1 Blu-ray theater in a box. Why? 51% off. $1000 unit for $487. Five years ago I bought my Panasonic HTiB for $429., so now we're in the same ballpark. Same for the movies - we're now at least in the same ballpark. That's what I was waiting for, parity. I just hope I haven't bet on the wrong horse.
Jimmac is correct.
17" 2.33 MBP glossy - yellow Miata - other stuff
Reply
17" 2.33 MBP glossy - yellow Miata - other stuff
Reply
post #302 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Nonsense. It just seemed weird that you, of all people, would be posting in the DVD discussion three minutes before your guy takes the oath.

Well Frank you know he's not just " My guy ". He's the President.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #303 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well Frank you know he's not just " My guy ". He's the President.

'Context' isn't your strong suit, eh?
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #304 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

'Context' isn't your strong suit, eh?

So you say.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #305 of 669
Yeah, this digital movie thing is at least a decade away.

This is like watching the RIAA whistling past the introduction of iTunes.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #306 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Walter. He doesn't like Obama. He's a Republican. His comment to me was a shot across the bow concerning my political views. I'm for Obama.

mmm...

I don't wanna drag this any further political than it already is.

why *I* thought it was funny was because DVDs are OLD and Obama is NEW.

That is neither me getting the wrong end of the stick or anything else so there
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #307 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Yep. It's easy to install (if you use a 2GB stick)
Boxee can be a bit slow and flakey on the AppleTV.
iPlayer is OK.
Boxee is not as good as playing 720p content as the native Quicktime player.
But you can put stuff on a server and play it without messing around with iChoonez.

C.

Boxee is slow, but can I still access the "fast" original ATV interface easily?

I see your in the UK so does Boxee give you access to the likes of a channel 4 or ITV iPlayer equivalent ? not that I see much need for watching ITVs content!!
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #308 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Boxee is slow, but can I still access the "fast" original ATV interface easily?

I see your in the UK so does Boxee give you access to the likes of a channel 4 or ITV iPlayer equivalent ? not that I see much need for watching ITVs content!!

The AppleTV boots normally, but has an extra menu option which includes the Boxee Plugin.
Once you launch Boxee - it takes over the interface. But you can quit back to the regular AppleTV.

(Barring the occasional lock-up)

I mainly use Boxee for playing TV and Movies from a network share. Boxee searches these shares, identifies them and adds cover art etc.

You can also play streaming internet content. Only iPlayer so far. The ITV players are based on Windows DRM.

C.
post #309 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The AppleTV boots normally, but has an extra menu option which includes the Boxee Plugin.
Once you launch Boxee - it takes over the interface. But you can quit back to the regular AppleTV.

(Barring the occasional lock-up)

I mainly use Boxee for playing TV and Movies from a network share. Boxee searches these shares, identifies them and adds cover art etc.

You can also play streaming internet content. Only iPlayer so far. The ITV players are based on Windows DRM.

C.

cheers for the info!

poor ITV they haven't had anything interesting since... when? cant remember the last programme they had that interested me.. at least ten years, possibly more.

--

Finally gave in and downloaded some old TV shows from iTunes via the ATV, for quick access to content (never mind rez) I think this is the future.

still love my BD for the "I-REALLY-LOVE-THIS-FILM" stuff
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #310 of 669
I'm back with something that aught to make Jimmacc sooo hapy... a link!

Hopefully it hasn't been posted yet, an Engaget shootout between four different Netflix streaming boxes.
Engadget's Netflix HD streaming shootout(Jan 19th)

The article didn't seem terribly insightful to me; No analysis that would really surprise anyone. But what I did find significant was the number of venues that netflix is pursuing for its video streaming. PC/Mac streaming, dedicated/stand-alone players, gaming consoles, blu-ray players, and a tivo set-top-boxes.

I already knew about PC based streaming and the Roku box, but the others came as a surprise. The future I envision is closer than I had thought. Options and competition is good news indeed.
post #311 of 669
Geez Walter...look up first sale doctrine.

This is also why studios will prefer downloads. They sidestep the entire first sale issues.
post #312 of 669
Wow, just...wow. Apparently Jimmac, the future is here now, and you've been left behind.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #313 of 669
I have the cash saved up right now but I'm not going to get a PS3. So Blu-Ray is outside my interests right now. I just want 720p digital movie rentals to be more affordable here in Asia. Till then...
post #314 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Wow, just...wow

Because the f*king Hollywood dumbos keep churning out this expensive physical media featuring rubbish movies (the standard has dropped significantly this decade, you have to admit) ~ and a convoluted mess of free/ ad-supported/ country-restricted/ DRM'ed digital download platforms.

The chickens have come home to roost.

“Making a movie just won’t be as profitable as it once was,” Barclays Capital analyst Anthony DiClemente in New York said in an interview. “There will be a complete bottoms-up reconstruction of the economics of the film business."

Yes. STEP ONE: STOP MAKING GARBAGE AND SHOVING IT UP OUR NOSES.

I wouldn't buy a DVD or BluRay for most movies because they're not worth keeping past one viewing... Especially if that one viewing was already quite painful to sit through.
post #315 of 669
Come on everyone, happy thoughts. Watching movies is supposed to be fun.
post #316 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Come on everyone, happy thoughts. Watching movies is supposed to be fun.

It used to be, watching most movies nowadays is like, I paid (X) bucks for this??? WTF.
post #317 of 669
Well, you can always look elsewhere for films. There are good films made today, if not by Hollywood. I want this on BluRay to play on my MacBook Pro 17":

http://www.lettherightoneinmovie.com/
post #318 of 669
There is still some good stuff, I just watched "W" by teh Oliver St0ne. Not bad, deliciously satirical yet tragic. Here's the thing: I didn't watch it at the cinema, on TV nor DVD nor BluRay. ...In the country where I am, I'm not even sure where the heck I'd find the movie legally.
post #319 of 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Come on everyone, happy thoughts. Watching movies is supposed to be fun.

I just saw American Gangster. Riveting and brilliant. What a gem! Tying in all the thematic elements of the external war (Vietnam) and the "war" on drugs, throw in racial/cultural issues, wow. Not bad at all.

Legally watched it on HBO here in Asia

Missed the first 20 minutes though.

Oh and bonus points for American Gangster -- shot on ARRI cameras. Really gives that edgy, smoky, retro etc. feel and stuff. It would have not been as cinematographically (if that is a word) cohesive if it was shot on Panavision... IMHO.
post #320 of 669
Looks like Mac-ready, BR-burning drives are ready for the mass market.

If Apple is ready to jump on the Blu-bandwagon, it will probably come with the rumoured March 29 Mac Pro update.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Blu-ray vs. DVD/VOD (2009)