or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Take my shoes, please!

Take my shoes, please! - Page 2

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Whoa, this guy is like the Iraqi jeebus...

But of course. That country is under foreign occupation! Is there any chance that Iraq's "justice system" is in anyway compromised by that fact? *nods* As such, is it likely that this guy is going to get a fair trial? Is it likely that his allegations of being tortured will be investigated, as might happen in the west?
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #42 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

But of course. That country is under foreign occupation! Is there any chance that Iraq's "justice system" is in anyway compromised by that fact? *nods* As such, is it likely that this guy is going to get a fair trial? Is it likely that his allegations of being tortured will be investigated, as might happen in the west?

Looks like the Iraqi court is in a catch 22 situation. They cannot release him, because they have beaten the hell out of him. And now there is pressure on them to release him, If they release him, all hell will break loose when people will look at his condition.

Democracy. Fuck Yeah!
post #43 of 65
Not shoes this time, but words from the American-installed former PM of Iraq:

"Bush was an utter failure."

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...50212820090103

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Not shoes this time, but words from the American-installed former PM of Iraq:

"Bush was an utter failure."

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...50212820090103

But, but we're there to " free " them! They're welcoming us! Don't you remember?

This wasn't about those old nasty WMD!

Of course if you work for the Iraqi TV don't act suspicious!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/...hot/index.html

Quote:
Iraqis say Americans shot woman without warning

Story Highlights
Iraqi TV employee shot while walking across bridge in Baghdad

U.S. military says soldiers gave warnings; victim's boss says they didn't

U.S. says she was acting suspiciously at place with history of suicide attacks

Woman loses kidney, has lung and liver damage, editor says

18 days left before we get someone real at the wheel.
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #45 of 65
Bump.

Bush Shoe Thrower Muntadhar al-Zeidi Gets Party From Prison Guards

Quote:
The Iraqi journalist jailed since throwing his shoes at President George W. Bush got a visit from his brother Friday and a birthday party from his guards as he turned 30.

. . .

"Muntadhar was in a good shape ... and his morale was high. Yesterday was his birthday and some patriotic officers there organized a party for him and brought birthday cake," Dhargham al-Zeidi said.

One small step for man, two flying shoes for mankind.
post #46 of 65
Pfft. He throws like an Ayrab.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

But, but we're there to " free " them! They're welcoming us! Don't you remember?

Uh huh. We are bringing freedom and democracy to Iraq. The war was dubbed Operation Iraqi Liberat... as you were.... Operation Iraqi Freedom. OIF. (Wolfowitz et al)

No, the war is to disarm Saddam Hussein of his WMDs... (GWB, Rice etc)

But wait, its all about payback for 9/11. Saddam Hussein had a part to play in the attacks (Cheney, administration officials)

Actually, its really about Israel's security (Philip Zelikow)

Hang on, that guy tried to kill my dad... (GWB)

No, seriously folks, its the center piece in the "war on terrorism". Thats why we went in. (take your pick of administration officials)

But really, it needs to be done to prevent al Qaeda seizing control of Iraq's oilfields (GWB)

No, its about petrodollars: Saddam Hussein was threatening to drop the US Dollar as oil currency in exchange for the Euro (not mentioned by administration officials)

Or.. it was decided in 1996 that all out US military presence (takeover) of the Middle East was a necessity (PNAC/IASPS)

Other reasons have been quoted, but I can't recall them all off hand.

Its lucky dip. We've been there now for 5.75 years (longer than US involvement in WWII), and we're not leaving in a hurry. Just because President Bush is soon to be ex-President Bush, and the neocons have crawled away from the streetlamps' glare back to the sewage pipes doesn't mean squat. We're almost $1 Trillion in the hole because of this adventure, and such a massive investment (infrastructure, military bases, a Vatican sized Embassy etc etc) won't be abandoned by the Obama team. Perhaps we should put it to the Iraqi people as a referendum: how would you like to be US State #51? They may go for it. Then they really can have freedom and democracy, and we won't need to withdraw the troops.....

Prediction: US forces will still be in Iraq at least two (possibly 4) years from now (probably 4), and will definitely remain in Afghanistan by the time of Obama's (theoretical) reelection bid, November 2012.
post #48 of 65

post #49 of 65
Quote:

Muntadhar was in a good shape

I think that some posters here must have been exaggerating the beating he got at the time of the shoe throwing, then.

And I still think we need more bionic SS agents. That shoe should have been intercepted.
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
45 2a3 300b 211 845 833
post #50 of 65

e1618978, it was the Prime Minister's security detail that subdued him and gave him an ass whooping.

They were protecting their leader. Not much the Secret Service, who were eating falafel burgers with freedom fries at the time.
post #51 of 65
Bump.

Oh no, this story ain't over...

Saddam's hometown unveils statue dedicated to man who threw shoe at President Bush

Quote:
Many Iraqis considered it poetic justice when a journalist tossed his shoes at President George W. Bush last month.

Now the bizarre attack has spawned a real life work of art.

A sofa-sized statue of the shoe was unveiled Thursday in Tikrit, the hometown of the former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

Baghdad-based artist Laith al-Amari described the fiberglass-and-copper work as a tribute to the pride of the Iraqi people.

Look at those smiles, the "thumbs up" and the laughter. Good to see the Iraqis having a good time.
post #52 of 65
Quote:

Bump.

Oh no, this story ain't over...

Saddam's hometown unveils statue dedicated to man who threw shoe at President Bush

Look at those smiles, the "thumbs up" and the laughter. Good to see the Iraqis having a good time.

Maybe it'll become a regular holiday! Shoe Day!
post #53 of 65
Weren't we to be supposed to be greeted as liberators under the leadership of Our Great Leader GW? (What exactly were the reasons we went to war? I can't keep track after they changed so many times.)

Guess the right will spin this to say isn't it great that they now have the freedom to express themselves... but what happened to the thrower himself? Did he have the freedom to be abused?

Well, now Iraq might have a holiday for George Bush, just not exactly the one he might have wanted!

post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Weren't we to be supposed to be greeted as liberators under the leadership of Our Great Leader GW? (What exactly were the reasons we went to war? I can't keep track after they changed so many times.)

Guess the right will spin this to say isn't it great that they now have the freedom to express themselves... but what happened to the thrower himself? Did he have the freedom to be abused?

Well, now Iraq might have a holiday for George Bush, just not exactly the one he might have wanted!

Well like all of the questions one might have about recent republican presidents. They're out of office now so it doesn't matter ( Reagan couldn't remember etc. ). Right?

Except this occupation is still taking lives and dollars.
post #55 of 65
I think it's sick that this man is in prison and Bush is living it up in a giant house, pampered like an infant.
proud resident of a failed state
proud resident of a failed state
post #56 of 65
I think it's sick that the town that supports a mass murderer relates so well to a shoe protester.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #57 of 65
Im suprised i havn't come across any flash games where you hurl the shoes...
post #58 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

I think it's sick that the town that supports a mass murderer relates so well to a shoe protester.

To make your sentence a little more complete:

"I think it's sick that the town that supports a mass murderer, who was closely allied to the US under the Reagan Administration, relates so well to a shoe protester".
post #59 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

You know, so many people think he was born in Texas...oh wait...
post #60 of 65
If this had happened under Saddam, the shoe thrower would be in little itty pieces in some prison somewhere. Not getting a birthday party for an age he never reached. The guy will get out and be a hero to the Iraqi people. Hell, the guy can come here and do the talk show circuit, write a book and make a mint.

I have never been a supporter of the Iraq war but the fact is that we did remove a bloodthirsty tyrant with no redeeming value. That we screwed it up is to our shame but to suggest that we didn't do anything useful is as idiotic as anything Bush has ever said.

And just as closed minded.
post #61 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordkapp View Post

Im suprised i havn't come across any flash games where you hurl the shoes...

Ahem...
post #62 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinea View Post

If this had happened under Saddam, the shoe thrower would be in little itty pieces in some prison somewhere. Not getting a birthday party for an age he never reached. The guy will get out and be a hero to the Iraqi people. Hell, the guy can come here and do the talk show circuit, write a book and make a mint.

I have never been a supporter of the Iraq war but the fact is that we did remove a bloodthirsty tyrant with no redeeming value. That we screwed it up is to our shame but to suggest that we didn't do anything useful is as idiotic as anything Bush has ever said.

And just as closed minded.

Maybe if we hadn't installed, enabled, fostered, and sucked his oily dick, he wouldn't have been in power at all.

Idiots all. All idiots.
post #63 of 65
Shoe-throwing monument removed for Iraqi orphanage

Quote:
The monument commemorating the journalist who hurled his shoes at President George W. Bush was taken down a day after it was erected, local officials in Tikrit told CNN.

Assisted by kids at the Tikrit Orphanage, sculptor Laith al-Amiri on Tuesday erected a huge brown replica of one of the shoes hurled at Bush last month by journalist Muntadhir al-Zaidi during a press conference in Baghdad.

But officials from Salaheddin province told CNN that the monument was removed after a request from the central government, which has charges pending against al-Zaidi -- now in an Iraqi jail.

After the request was made, Iraqi police visited the location to make sure that the shoe monument was removed.

"We will not allow anyone to use the government facilities and buildings for political motives," said Abdullah Jabara, Salaheddin deputy governor.

Well, I guess that's justified, I don't think there should be 10 commandments on the steps of a court house either.
post #64 of 65
Yeah; didn't realize the place was a public building. How about getting that Bible out of the courtroom?

Wish they had relocated it to a private facility where it could be displayed in all its glory.

post #65 of 65
It is as it should be.

If all these smug bastards are never presented with an honest opinion they get to live out their lives in the sure knowledge that they put one over on their subjects and they will never be called on what they do.

When they get shoes thrown at them (but it has to be for a sound reason, otherwise it's a pointless gesture) it will show them that the people have had enough.

There are not enough shoes thrown in the world. It should happen much more often.

BUT: Always for a genuine reason. "I don't agree with him" is not a reason. "He's a war criminal or a sanctimonious ass who lives off of our money while not giving one penny to those who really need it" that would be a reason.

Next...THE BANKERS!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Take my shoes, please!