or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac mini makeover considered likely for Macworld
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mac mini makeover considered likely for Macworld - Page 5

post #161 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

That is total bull crap and you know it, time to grow up. The only mention here, so far, was for ports on the front and back.

You said about expansion cards on the front. They look like this:

http://lion.xaraya.hu/images/ide64_p..._case_back.jpg

There's always a seam round it and gaps. It wouldn't bother me personally but I don't see Apple going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I can think of a number of PCs that have USB ports along with other ports that look just fine.

Ports are different, you said PCI expansion slot. Ports can be designed into place. I would agree that a USB port or two on the front would be handy but it does complicate the design when it comes to being able to take it apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually the Unibody MacHooks are a good example of Apple rebooting the design process and taking a significantly different approach.

In the opposite direction you want them to. They're making them with no screws and moulding everything into place exactly how they want and leaving out functionality (firewire) with no way of upgrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In any event reaching around to the back side is a much more difficult operation even on a laptop. I know this because I use one extensively on the plant floor.

It's the same on the iMac though and they're never putting ports on the front of that machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I actually have mixed feelings when it comes to external power supplies. As to i7 I don't expect that in a Mini until after the iMacs get the chip and then only after the low power variants come out. Unless of course Apple blows out the case size.

They won't be putting PCI slots in a Mini either. If you add those, you'd be increasing the case size by quite a lot anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The need a reliable expansion slot. Expresscard isn't even remotely suitable for a desktop machine, it barely passes as a reliable laptop card.

What do you mean reliable? If you mean compatibility, you just get Mac compatible cards like these:

http://www.welovemacs.com/pcexca34.html
http://www.freemacblog.com/how-to-us...r-macbook-pro/

Firewire covers video and audio capture adequately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The idea is to support a wide range of I/O cards.

If somebody thinks eSATA is worth then they just plug in the card they need to get the port.

It would be easier for Apple to just include the eSATA port. You don't really need eSATA anyway as the internal drive will limit your data transfers.
post #162 of 175
Priorities:

Keep it QUIET. Bedroom quiet.
At leasts two Firewire 800 ports to boot from external drives.
At least Quad core.
Al least Internal 7200 rpm 3.5-inch drive.
post #163 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Priorities:

Keep it QUIET. Bedroom quiet.
At leasts two Firewire 800 ports to boot from external drives.
At least Quad core.
Al least Internal 7200 rpm 3.5-inch drive.

Put a SSD in it.
Not going to happen
Not going to happen
SSD
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #164 of 175
Aesthetically, the mockup is butt ugly, unless the early 80s Silon look turns you on.
post #165 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You said about expansion cards on the front. They look like this:

http://lion.xaraya.hu/images/ide64_p..._case_back.jpg

There's always a seam round it and gaps. It wouldn't bother me personally but I don't see Apple going for it.

Well if you look at an installed card it will have different appearance from an empty slot covered with a bezel of some sort. For people that actually need card ports in front appearances mean nothing.
Quote:


Ports are different, you said PCI expansion slot. Ports can be designed into place. I would agree that a USB port or two on the front would be handy but it does complicate the design when it comes to being able to take it apart.

Actually I have a couple of post covering both needs. When it comes to the actual slot standard I'm open to alternative ideas.
Quote:


In the opposite direction you want them to. They're making them with no screws and moulding everything into place exactly how they want and leaving out functionality (firewire) with no way of upgrading.

Again you miss the point in that they came up with a dramatically different approach to the case. The fact that they did so indicates an ability to think outside the box. In any event I don't get too worked up over the lack of expandability in a compact laptop.
Quote:
It's the same on the iMac though and they're never putting ports on the front of that machine.

If there is enough demand they will. That is part of the point of these open discussions, that is to generate demand.
Quote:


They won't be putting PCI slots in a Mini either. If you add those, you'd be increasing the case size by quite a lot anyway.

PCI & PCI Express are electrical standards not a specific card standard. There are actually a number of expansion card standards that use the PCI or PCI Express signalling standards over their electrical connectors. It simply shouldn't be assummed that Apple would use the common desktop card format.

Quote:


What do you mean reliable? If you mean compatibility, you just get Mac compatible cards like these:

What do you think I mean? Reliable is fairly clear and Express cards are far from that as the retaining mechanism is mechanically questionable.

That depends on the camera and what you want to accomplish with that signal. For some cameras FireWire 400 isn't fast enough.

Quote:
It would be easier for Apple to just include the eSATA port. You don't really need eSATA anyway as the internal drive will limit your data transfers.

That makes no sense at all! The external drives are limited by the connection to them not to the internal drive. Why do you think people buy high performance external drives for in the first place?

I'm not a fan of eSATA myself but for some low cost needs it is a good interface. A slot just gives the user the ability to choose the port that he desires. There are many possibilities to choose from so it would be a good move by Apple.


Dave
post #166 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

No worries DisplayPort support up to 8 channels of 24-bit audio and sampling
rates up to 96 kilohertz.

The future's bright.

Macs already support optical out



Here's the cable you'll need


Yeah but I was mainly pointing that I hope he doesn't drop that. Which they probably won't... but these guys on here keep saying mini-displayport which doesn't include audio...

Oh well

Laters
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
Reply
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
Reply
post #167 of 175
If it is true that the new Mac mini will use the new Mini DisplayPort and use NVIDIA GPUs, do you speculate that the Mac mini will be able to run two monitors just fine? I have two NEC MultiSync LCD 1980SX monitors which I currently use my eight year old Power Mac G4 500. I want to get my hands on the new Mac mini hopefully as soon as it comes out, however, only if the Mac mini supports two monitors.
Gino J. Piazza
Port Chester, NY
Reply
Gino J. Piazza
Port Chester, NY
Reply
post #168 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginopiazza49 View Post

If it is true that the new Mac mini will use the new Mini DisplayPort and use NVIDIA GPUs, do you speculate that the Mac mini will be able to run two monitors just fine? I have two NEC MultiSync LCD 1980SX monitors which I currently use my eight year old Power Mac G4 500. I want to get my hands on the new Mac mini hopefully as soon as it comes out, however, only if the Mac mini supports two monitors.

Unless there are two Mini-DP connectors, no.
post #169 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Unless there are two Mini-DP connectors, no.

Somewhere I read that the DisplayPort spec supports more than one monitor on just one cable. I don't know about mini-DisplayPort but it seems like it should, also. One never knows, when it comes to Apple.
post #170 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Somewhere I read that the DisplayPort spec supports more than one monitor on just one cable. I don't know about mini-DisplayPort but it seems like it should, also. One never knows, when it comes to Apple.

Yes DP will support daisy chaining in a future version. I don't know if it's as easy as a firmwire update of some sort that may be turned on.

I could see Apple not allowing multiple monitor support from MDP mini because it would create a rush to mini over iMacs. A mac mini running dual monitor is a low compelling low footprint setup.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #171 of 175
Are you saying that even with a mini-Displayport to DVI adaptor you can only run one monitor? I was hoping to get my hands on the new Mac mini. Are you saying that I will have to go for an iMac instead if I want to use two monitors?
Gino J. Piazza
Port Chester, NY
Reply
Gino J. Piazza
Port Chester, NY
Reply
post #172 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginopiazza49 View Post

Are you saying that I will have to go for an iMac instead if I want to use two monitors?

Likely so, or a Mac Pro. But I'd wait and see what the specs say if the mini comes with mini-DisplayPort. It's only another week until Macworld. I hope we'll see a new mini then.
post #173 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes DP will support daisy chaining in a future version. I don't know if it's as easy as a firmwire update of some sort that may be turned on.

I could see Apple not allowing multiple monitor support from MDP mini because it would create a rush to mini over iMacs. A mac mini running dual monitor is a low compelling low footprint setup.

Even if it was supported now, the new ACD doesn't have an output port and there isn't a Mini-DP to Full-DP adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginopiazza49 View Post

Are you saying that even with a mini-Displayport to DVI adaptor you can only run one monitor? I was hoping to get my hands on the new Mac mini. Are you saying that I will have to go for an iMac instead if I want to use two monitors?

Or a laptop or a Mac Pro. The DVI adapter has nothing to do with multiple displays, it simply allows you to connect a single DVI display to a Mini-DP port. Two DVI or VGA displays would require two adapters and two ports. I know it sucks, but unfortunately that how Apple operates right now, either low end consumer or ultra high end professional. Nobody in between.
post #174 of 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Oh it's getting a makeover all right....



YEP! I'll take TWO of these!!

nice render!
Mac user since 1990 - System 6.0.7 through OS X 10.6 - Mac Mini (2009) - 4/320 - Snow Leopard
Reply
Mac user since 1990 - System 6.0.7 through OS X 10.6 - Mac Mini (2009) - 4/320 - Snow Leopard
Reply
post #175 of 175
With the mini also using a notebook HDD it would be good to see an external SATA II port and perhaps even an option of an SSD instead of an HDD (every bit of performance helps).

Dobby.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Mac mini makeover considered likely for Macworld