or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last - Page 2

post #41 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

OK, why would Apple do that?

It is no surprising that Apple pulls out of MacWorld. However, why won't SJ give the last keynote?

1. SJ is indeed very ill.

or....

2. There will be something huge from Apple (Netbook? iPhone nano?), which will give Philip an opportunity to shine, and prove that Apple will be fine even if SJ is sick/retire.

Which one?

I'd say it is more likely that the early start of this year's show conflicts with Steve's holiday vacation plans. I'll be an optimist.

The ROI on many of these shows is terrible, and with all the additional shows out there, it basically requires a dedicated team of people to support them. It can be great for marketing, but it is hard to hold on to the enthusiasm.
post #42 of 153
Phil ate Steve.....thats why no Steve.....

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

Reply

One thought he was invincible... the other thought he could fly.

They were both wrong.

Reply
post #43 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

There will no doubt be a lot of speculation that #1 is the case. If anything you'd think Jobs would show up just to dispel this. For #2 that is a valid reason, but it would be more graceful for Steve to just do an intro then hand it off to Phil for all product announcements.

Actually, for the last few presentations, SJ already did that - start the show, then just let Phil and others to do the demo.

So, the natural next step is to have Phil to start the show.

Still, the timing is very curious. There has to be a very strong reason why SJ would skip the last MW.
post #44 of 153
This is what's best for the company in the long run, i mean come on man everytime the freggin guy takes a shit there's all kinds of speculations and it's starting to take a toll on the comapany already, just ask a stock broker, they know what it feels like
post #45 of 153
AH, now Apple announcements have become that much harder to pin down!!
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #46 of 153
deleted
post #47 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

This makes sense, and it won't infringe on Apple's ability to launch its products through press events throughout the year. But it won't play like that -- it plays like Santa canceling Christmas, like the end of an era, like Steve Jobs being seriously unwell if he is unable to give the final Macworld keynote and finish what he started.

I wonder about SJ's health too.
post #48 of 153
Apple has been moving towards its own venues for new products as of late, and it is somewhat understandable that they'd continue along that vein, announcing products when they are ready.

If Jobs gave a keynote in January and didn't announce some sort of mind-blowing new product, then the press (and all of us) would've just bitched and called it a waste of time.

I'm mostly bummed because I am taking this move to mean there is no new product being announced in January, which makes me wonder when we'll see updates to all the stuff we've been waiting for (mac pros, minis, etc.)

I guess we'll just have to wait until the next ninja special even press invites go out from here on in.
post #49 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Actually, for the last few presentations, SJ already did that - start the show, then just let Phil and others to do the demo.

So, the natural next step is to have Phil to start the show.

I think there's a big difference between actually unveiling the product and simply doing a demo. Steve has always done the actual unveiling of new products. There's much more of a dramatic element to unveiling.
post #50 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

OK, why would Apple do that?

It is no surprising that Apple pulls out of MacWorld. However, why won't SJ give the last keynote?
1. SJ is indeed very ill.
or....

I hate to break it to ya guys ... but Steve's been dead for over a year. They've been bringing him out to do presentations on strings like a marionette. The formaldehyde is just now starting to wear off which brings Phil front and center.

JK ... don't hate.
post #51 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

...and in other news, Santa cancels Christmas.

not at all. Apple has a point that trade shows are basically burning money. why not stop and use that for R&D on making their products better and cheaper. especially cheaper.

I personally would much rather see them knock $50 off the Macbook line than appear at another tradeshow.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #52 of 153
If they want to pull out that's one thing but Steve should do the last show. It seems stupid to end an era with a switch hitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleinsider vBulletin Message

You have been banned for the following reason:
Three personal attacks in one post. Congratulations.
Date the ban will be lifted:...
Reply
post #53 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

For the buying public, that's bad.
For the company, that's good.
Stop the spiral of deflation (Hopefully).

Spiral of deflation? Dude, electronics and computers have been in deflation ever since the first ENIAC, and that has never stopped consumers from purchasing them, or has it ever prevented lots of companies making huge profits.

Also, I find it very amusing to read on these boards how Apple lost touch and stopped listening to its customers, when they've never been more succesful than they are today. Why do all these people here urge for the products Apple made when they were on the verge of bankruptcy?

ANd as for Schiller doing the keynote: I don't think it's because of Jobs feeling bad (read: worse than normally), it's just away of making shure the public realises Apple is more than just one man, as they tried to point out on numerous occasions in the past 2 years already. 'Cause face it, Jobs won't stay CEO till he's 65.
post #54 of 153
It was only a matter of time before Apple decided to pull out of MacWorld SF. I don't blame'em. They can throw all media events they want during the rest of the year where they can introduce new products when they're actually ready to ship. The impact to me, observing from the web, is relatively the same.
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #55 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by applestockholder View Post

The announcement moves the focus off of Steve Jobs as being the only person who can make (keep) the company successful.


yep. folks were pulling a chicken little cause they say that Steve Jobs IS Apple. having him not do the keynote solo and now not at all is likely an attempt to show folks that there are other smart minds at the company etc

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #56 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

MacWorld has always been a hugely expensive undertaking and as far as I'm concerned a waste of money. Of course, I will miss Steve Jobs doing his annual stage show but this is just a sign of the times.


so now every 4 months or so, you'll get the worldwide simulcast to every Apple store of the Great Steve Mobs -- I mean Jobs -- coming live from his secret hideaway on a South Pacific island that no one can find unless they already know where it is, fueled by a strangely high magnetic power and guarded by polar bears and a bizarre smoke monster.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #57 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefree View Post

There will no doubt be a lot of speculation that #1 is the case. If anything you'd think Jobs would show up just to dispel this. For #2 that is a valid reason, but it would be more graceful for Steve to just do an intro then hand it off to Phil for all product announcements.

I agree that SJ should announce Phil. His absence will just stoke the flames of doubt over his health. Sooner or later the baton must be passed. The last macbook presentation showed a shared stage. Perhaps this is Phil's time to take the baton and let Steve watch from the wings of the stage or the boardroom.
post #58 of 153
the announcement is that he won't be giving the keynote - not that he won't be there. He's handing things off and I expect a big announcement.
post #59 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

or....

2. There will be something huge from Apple (Netbook? iPhone nano?), which will give Philip an opportunity to shine, and prove that Apple will be fine even if SJ is sick/retire.

my vote. at least that they want to show folks that there's more than Steve driving. which is always why he's been sharing the stage of late.

but I firmly disagree that the big is an iphone nano or a netbook. maybe a 32 gb iphone if anything phone related. maybe they will announce when the att deal ends (doubt it). otherwise, i'm guessing it's all about the imac, mini, pro tower, and maybe the time capsule, airports and apple tv

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #60 of 153
FINALLY!
Apple's strategy worked during past years, but people expect too much at such events which hurts the company even more. Now Apple is really gonna be unpredictable. Announcing things when ever they are ready.

This is a good start in a new direction.
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
Apple had me at scrolling
Reply
post #61 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post


Also, get the "focus" on the products, and off of S. Jobs.
He cannot do it forever!

which might be why he's not doing the big speech

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #62 of 153
I think Apple's absence at an annual event such as Macworld will harm the company in the long haul -- but I understand why Apple wants to introduce new products on their own timetable rather than on IDG's.
post #63 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leppo View Post

I'm mostly bummed because I am taking this move to mean there is no new product being announced in January, which makes me wonder when we'll see updates to all the stuff we've been waiting for (mac pros, minis, etc.)

Quite the opposite. It could also mean that there are some really exciting new products or revamps that will be announced and that such a move is, in fact, what will be needed to blunt the impact of SJ's absence, as well as to ease Phil's (solo) debut.

I think that we have not yet seen the promised 'low-margin' product that will be the 'game-changer,' and this could be where we see it. (I have no clue what it could be; one guess is, a $99 iPhone Nano, sold at Wal-mart).
post #64 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I'm a huge fan of netbooks, but the netbook isn't expanding the PC market in healthy ways. It is creating a market that destroys the market for more expensive devices; the total dollar sales could possibly shrink even if units do grow.

Apple creates an ecosystem of products that compliment each other. The key to Apple being successful with a netbook it to make something that compliments its desktop and laptop line effectively, so it creates an opportunity for a second or third sale rather than just offsetting a sale.

Unfortunately, this points much more towards an iPhone type device than a scaled down MacBook.

Studies show that currently a Netbook is a Secondary device not a Primary device. As such I would be interested in having a very powerful gaming desktop but having a netbook for travel and internet,email,im on the couch. As it is I have spent more money on a Macbook and a custom gaming pc.

For the few that use a Netbook a primary device, they really wouldn't justify more than $400 as they only wish to do light browsing and email or just can't afford more and bringing them into the apple camp won't hurt apple any more than the fact that people still buy the underpowered Mac Mini as their only computer.

Now obviously I can afford both an expensive desktop and relatively high priced laptop. But most people choose one or the other. Apple could really expand their market with a midrise tower that was enginered for gaming (as games port over) as well as running Vista/Windows 7. Then I would gladly take a 10in netbook that was $500 or so for the couch. In addition you would have people that just want email and internet but in a portable from get this netbook. I don't see how getting its software out there would hurt them at all, use Intel Atom and call its a netbook. People that want more will get more.

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply
post #65 of 153
R.I.P.

post #66 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

so now every 4 months or so, you'll get the worldwide simulcast to every Apple store of the Great Steve Mobs -- I mean Jobs -- coming live from his secret hideaway on a South Pacific island that no one can find unless they already know where it is, fueled by a strangely high magnetic power and guarded by polar bears and a bizarre smoke monster.

Steve must be really pissed about the Simpsons making fun of him in that Mapple episode. Maybe the insults hit a little too close to home. For example, "The light shows that it's off". Or portraying him as the talking head in the 1984 commercial. Or portraying Mapple users as blind cultists worshipping his every whim.

So now Steve is reacting like he always does, by throwing a fit and going to extremes. For example, people asked for a low cost Mac without a monitor. And Steve gave them a crippled, underpowered, unexpandable Mac Mini, which was his way of telling the public "Fuck you". "Here's your Mac minitower, suckers!".

Steve was reported as calling the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley "mean spirited".

After he saw the Mapple episode, Steve threw another fit. "Just for that, I'm pulling Apple completely out of Macworld. Screw you guys, I'm going home!".
post #67 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

not at all. Apple has a point that trade shows are basically burning money. why not stop and use that for R&D on making their products better and cheaper. especially cheaper.

I personally would much rather see them knock $50 off the Macbook line than appear at another tradeshow.

Apple has ZERO debt and like 18 billion in the bank.

They could throw MWSF by themselves and it wouldn't put a dent in the bottom line.

The only thing I can think of is that they are moving away from the huge venues as their stock tends to get bought up and then sold down afterward.

But the amount of free press that they get is HUGE!! and it's wall to wall.
post #68 of 153
In a sense, MW Expo will be missed...

...but in another sense, it was a piece of crap and won't be missed.

When was the last time something interesting came out of a Macworld Expo? Steve's MW keynotes were almost always disappointing. And the hype...oh gawd, the hype.

Seriously, the last good MW keynote must have happened 5 or 6 years ago because I can't for the life of me remember being genuinely impressed.
post #69 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by TednDi View Post

APPLE IS DOOMED!!!!!!


couldn't resist.

I couldn't resist either.

http://doomd.ytmnd.com/
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
Reply
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
Reply
post #70 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Apple is selling more computers than it ever has.
Apple continues to excel with the iPod / iTunes product line.

There is no "demand" to lower the prices. They only do when they want to increase their presence to a larger market. Apple wouldn't be Apple if the price wasn't different, as well. The extra cash they make allows them to do what they do.

Honestly, if you were in their shoes, how would you look at it? If you had a business with products in high demand, would you say "okay, we're lowering our prices to be nice". That's not a good reason.

Maybe you should read the headlines today.

Apple Macs Fall Behind Windows PCs In Sales
The numbers are an indication that Apple may be feeling the competitive pressure of Windows PC vendors, such as HP and Dell, which have cut prices at much larger percentages.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...ubSection=News
post #71 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Steve must be really pissed about the Simpsons making fun of him in that Mapple episode. Maybe the insults hit a little too close to home. For example, "The light shows that it's off". Or portraying him as the talking head in the 1984 commercial. Or portraying Mapple users as blind cultists worshipping his every whim.

So now Steve is reacting like he always does, by throwing a fit and going to extremes. For example, people asked for a low cost Mac without a monitor. And Steve gave them a crippled, underpowered, unexpandable Mac Mini, which was his way of telling the public "Fuck you". "Here's your Mac minitower, suckers!".

Steve was reported as calling the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley "mean spirited".

After he saw the Mapple episode, Steve threw another fit. "Just for that, I'm pulling Apple completely out of Macworld. Screw you guys, I'm going home!".

You made me laugh Now I need to go watch the Simpsons episode again...

In the long run I do think this will backfire on Apple. As its cheaper for journalist to go to one trade show and thus they can't go to every comapanies press conference launcing a product. While this won't directly hurt Apple, it will hurt all the other companies pushing their mac related products at MacWorld. Some of these companies I'm sure were there when Apple was at its lowest and now Apple is telling them to screw off, just like it did to firewire in the Macbook. I just don't know how telling those who have been so loyal to fend for themselves is such a good idea. Trade shows are important.

As a new White Macbook users (I got a 2.4ghz earlier in the year). It dissapoints me, and I think the new macbooks with the potential nvidia problems and lack of firewire dissapointed me. Its odd, a company spends so much to gather marketshare but it seems almost every company that does this looses sight of the customer.

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply
post #72 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

In a sense, MW Expo will be missed...

...but in another sense, it was a piece of crap and won't be missed.

When was the last time something interesting came out of a Macworld Expo? Steve's MW keynotes were almost always disappointing. And the hype...oh gawd, the hype.

Seriously, the last good MW keynote must have happened 5 or 6 years ago because I can't for the life of me remember being genuinely impressed.

You have short memory....2007, iPhone...
post #73 of 153
Steve Dont Go :cry:
post #74 of 153
What a bummer. I'll miss the Apple announcements at the MacWorld very much. It's always the fun part of MacWorld.

Perhaps Apple wants to detach itself from MacWorld because they're both becoming somewhat synonymous, and Wall Street relies on Apple's showmanship and announcements at MacWorld too much to gauge Apple's stock value. As we've seen in the past, the value of Apple's stock fluctuates up and down without much logic simply because of Apple's keynote presented on that one day versus how the new products will actually perform in the market a few months after their announcement.

Oh well. I'll miss Apple's presence at MacWorld very much
post #75 of 153
Hopefully they will still have the developer conference. There really is value in having all the developers able to talk to each other and the Apple people.
post #76 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple announced Tuesday that next month is the last time the company will exhibit at Macworld Expo in San Francisco and that chief executive Steve Jobs will not be making a keynote presentation this year.

Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing,*will deliver the opening keynote for this years Macworld Conference & Expo, and it*will be Apples last keynote at the show.

The keynote address will be held at Moscone West on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:00 a.m. Macworld will be held at San Franciscos Moscone Center January 5-9, 2009.

"Apple is reaching more people in more ways than ever before, so like many companies, trade shows have become a very minor part of how Apple reaches its customers," the company said.*

"The increasing popularity of Apples Retail Stores, which more than 3.5 million people visit every week,*and the Apple.com website enable Apple to directly reach more than a hundred million customers around the world in innovative new ways."

Apple has*been steadily scaling back on trade shows in recent years, including NAB, Macworld New York, Macworld Tokyo and Apple Expo in Paris.

The startling news comes after a string of bad news for Macworld host IDG that has seen Adobe and Belkin withdraw from the show while other recognizable companies have opted to scale back their presences at the San Francisco event. Officially, these exhibitors have attributed their withdrawals or reduced presences to economic conditions.

Previously, Apple's exit from these events has effectively signaled their respective death knells.

After IDG announced a return of its East coast Macworld Expo to Boston from New York, Apple promptly canceled its own presence at the relocated event and refused to return even when IDG reversed its decision and moved the event back. The magazine publisher continued on with the New York gathering for 2004 and 2005 but was ultimately forced to shut it down as attendance dwindled and exhibitors rapidly backed out.

Without further elaboration from Apple, the twin decisions of exiting from Macworld and CEO Steve Jobs' absence from the stage is having a destructive effect on the Mac maker's shares as well: as of this writing, the company's stock is down more than 4.5 percent in after-hours trading.

Well, ya know, the internet is the future! With the deep world wide recession we are in, the planet will look to the world wide web for information, entertainment, marketing, shopping, information - Everything! Why do we need to ever have conventions again? the future is now!

www.applepii.com is or sale - $1500.00
post #77 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

In a sense, MW Expo will be missed...

...but in another sense, it was a piece of crap and won't be missed.

When was the last time something interesting came out of a Macworld Expo? Steve's MW keynotes were almost always disappointing. And the hype...oh gawd, the hype.

Seriously, the last good MW keynote must have happened 5 or 6 years ago because I can't for the life of me remember being genuinely impressed.

MWSF 2007 saw the unveiling of something called the iPhone. But it sounds like you weren't impressed...
post #78 of 153
Wouldn't it have been less damaging if Jobs did the very last Macworld?

Do they have to spur the already-dead/deathly-ill/simply-leaving-the-company speculation?
post #79 of 153
Although I'm sorry to see the Stevenote go away and I hope Steve's health is OK, from a business standpoint, these events have been bad for Apple for a long time.

Sure, they lead to slightly increased publicity, but they also lead to people holding off purchases until "after Macworld" or "after *month*, Apple always updates then." That kind of predictability is not good.

Hopefully, now Apple will ship products on a much more random timescale, when they are ready and not when there's an event on the calendar. BOOM, one day there's a press release and new Macbooks, out of the blue.
post #80 of 153
Hi All....

This is TRULY shocking news....but I do think Steve will be there to pass the baton.

Why am I so sure?

Anyone seen the current issue of Macworld?

2009 is Mac's 25th Birthday. Perhaps Steve sees this as the right time to turn things over? Perhaps there will be some sort of discussion of Mac's 25th Anniversary at MAC world?

Anyway, as long we I still get to watch WWDC Keynotes and special events throughout the year, I'll be happy.

One thing is for sure.....2009 will be an interesting year.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last