or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last - Page 3

post #81 of 153
Quote:
Maybe you should read the headlines today.

Apple Macs Fall Behind Windows PCs In Sales
The numbers are an indication that Apple may be feeling the competitive pressure of Windows PC vendors, such as HP and Dell, which have cut prices at much larger percentages.

Maybe you should read between the lines and not fall hook, line , and sinker for the spin the shorts put on every piece of Apple news. Desktop sales were down for everyone (iMac line needs a refresh) BUT notebook sales were up. Also factor in the 15-20% discounts the PC makers were giving on MUCH lower margin products as compared to the 5% Apple gave on higher margin products and....Tadah! pretty good profits for Apple compared to generic PC vendor X. It's a recession, any profit growth is a phenomenal result.
post #82 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple announced Tuesday that next month is the last time the company will exhibit at Macworld Expo in San Francisco and that chief executive Steve Jobs will not be making a keynote presentation this year.

Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing,*will deliver the opening keynote for this years Macworld Conference & Expo, and it*will be Apples last keynote at the show.

The keynote address will be held at Moscone West on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 9:00 a.m. Macworld will be held at San Franciscos Moscone Center January 5-9, 2009.

"Apple is reaching more people in more ways than ever before, so like many companies, trade shows have become a very minor part of how Apple reaches its customers," the company said.*

"The increasing popularity of Apples Retail Stores, which more than 3.5 million people visit every week,*and the Apple.com website enable Apple to directly reach more than a hundred million customers around the world in innovative new ways."

Apple has*been steadily scaling back on trade shows in recent years, including NAB, Macworld New York, Macworld Tokyo and Apple Expo in Paris.

The startling news comes after a string of bad news for Macworld host IDG that has seen Adobe and Belkin withdraw from the show while other recognizable companies have opted to scale back their presences at the San Francisco event. Officially, these exhibitors have attributed their withdrawals or reduced presences to economic conditions.

Previously, Apple's exit from these events has effectively signaled their respective death knells.

After IDG announced a return of its East coast Macworld Expo to Boston from New York, Apple promptly canceled its own presence at the relocated event and refused to return even when IDG reversed its decision and moved the event back. The magazine publisher continued on with the New York gathering for 2004 and 2005 but was ultimately forced to shut it down as attendance dwindled and exhibitors rapidly backed out.

Without further elaboration from Apple, the twin decisions of exiting from Macworld and CEO Steve Jobs' absence from the stage is having a destructive effect on the Mac maker's shares as well: as of this writing, the company's stock is down more than 4.5 percent in after-hours trading.

A band like U2 only do rock concerts to give back to the loyal fans, the falling Apple stock price after this announcement is a message. When are the stock holders going to have a say in how Apple is run because without a massive trade show, web cast and a keynote that sets the pace for the new year, Apple just looks small fry. Anyone noticed how many faster machines not made by Apple are now listed on Xbench.
post #83 of 153
Chillax peeps.

I'm sure Steve's fine. Apple says they're pulling out because a) their relationship with IDG (the organisers of Macworld) isn't the best, b) they don't need Macworld to get 'their message out there' anymore, and c) they've got like, 3 other events during the year anyway. I'm sure these are all reason enough for the decision.

As for Phil, well it's probably about time someone else started doing the keynotes. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve spent most of his time rehearsing for the event rather than using his noodle in more constructive ways at Apple.

They might have also finally decided to let the head of marketing do the marketing.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
Reply
post #84 of 153
No Steve Keynote...!!!

No new products?

Not good for AAPL
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAPL

Not happy news..., I think...

Then the speculations about Steve's health will get louder, as AAPL dives..., thus more grimness till after the Recession/Depression is over in 1-2 years?

If it was too much for Apple to do this in their BACKYARD, in SF, it's unlikely they'll be back in anywhere in US... MAYBE they'll show up in Paris a few more times, but only MAYBE!

All vendors better get really good at Show and Tell Videos on their sites, Q+A's, FAQs, and anything else that can REMOTELY replicate real time, in person, interaction ala at Expo Boot!!!

Such Show and Tell Videos should still be cheaper then the costs of participating at such Expos...

But, who knows, maybe after the Recession/Depression is over in 1-2 years they might bring all this back with a fanfare? If so, hope they do it in NYC, for max Media Exposure! Except, NYC would be more expensive to do for everyone!

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply

 

Go  Apple, AAPL!!!

Reply
post #85 of 153
Phil usually does the Mac Pro announcements, so maybe a Core i7 version is coming.

I don't think this necessarily means Steve is sick - maybe he only wants to announce game-changing products or products with a lot of changes, and not incremental bumps to Mac Pro and Mac mini.
post #86 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underbelly View Post

A band like U2 only do rock concerts to give back to the loyal fans, the falling Apple stock price after this announcement is a message. When are the stock holders going to have a say in how Apple is run because without a massive trade show, web cast and a keynote that sets the pace for the new year, Apple just looks small fry. Anyone noticed how many faster machines not made by Apple are now listed on Xbench.

What you mean a message for the same collection of idiots that just needed a govt funded bailout?

Tradeshows are passe..have been so for years. If the Web is killing print publishing then it stands to reason that it effectively killed tradeshows a LONG time ago.

Apple needs to deliver products when they're ready.

Tradeshows are done..stick a fork in them for the most part. WWDC will continue because Developers need one to one time with Apple Engineers and Apple makes money or at least defrays the costs by charging for WWDC.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #87 of 153
This changes everything.

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)
13" MacBook Pro (late 2009)

Reply

iPhone 4

iPad (1st gen)
13" MacBook Pro (late 2009)

Reply
post #88 of 153
I wonder if IDG could do a multimedia event online in future - or would that be a bit technical?

I also hope that this change in the yearly timetable might help stabilize Apple's stock.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Reply
post #89 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

In a sense, MW Expo will be missed...

...but in another sense, it was a piece of crap and won't be missed.

<snip>

I don't agree with your assessment of the Keynote's but I do feel that MWExpo is hugely overpriced and badly organized.

I attended the 2008 Expo, having pre-registered online. I was shunted from line to line by less than customer-oriented staff who treated me as an annoyance.

A short walk to the Apple Store showed a world of difference - eager and enthusiastic staff (despite the crowds) and a well-organized, welcoming environment.

I think the speculation such as Jobs is too ill to attend misses the point - Apple wants to dissociate itself from an event that no longer reflects the company's standards.
post #90 of 153
Stop Trading!

Remove panties from bunched area.

Read it for what it is. Phil is opening the keynote. Says NOT ONE DAMN THING that Job's will NOT be there. Phil opens, new MacMini. Johnathan comes up, New NetBook. Steve comes out or comes up on the big screen and Blamo'. Or maybe he phones it in. Maybe he stays back at home or maybe....

And you know I have seen this for the last 2 years. Steve has been giving more and more credit to those who are working behind the scenes. He's been sharing the spotlight. Basically telling the world that Apple is Not Me and I am not Apple. He's the CEO and a pretty damn good one but he's NOT the company. You think he's making every decision over there? No way. He may be making final say on certain things but the company works together as a machine.

Hey, he's getting older and his family is getting larger. Maybe he just wants some personal time. Share the spotlight, let others have a voice outside the company. So let's see how this last one goes. Brick/Mortar venue's for a high-tech company on the verge of everything seems kinda dated anyways. Next year they'll probably do a live webcast from in-house. It would be more personal and practical.

Steve, if your reading these. Relax, have a drink and go do what you want to do. And by the way Thanks for the last 30 years of timeless innovation. Your making the world a better place because of the company and people you inspire everyday. Big thanks to Woz too!
post #91 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams son View Post

I attended the 2008 Expo, having pre-registered online. I was shunted from line to line by less than customer-oriented staff who treated me as an annoyance.

A short walk to the Apple Store showed a world of difference - eager and enthusiastic staff (despite the crowds) and a well-organized, welcoming environment.

I think the speculation such as Jobs is too ill to attend misses the point - Apple wants to dissociate itself from an event that no longer reflects the company's standards.

Interesting observation as. I could see how others would support your opinion. Tradeshows are often clusterfcks and annoying in a lot of ways.


http://applecanceledchristmas.com/

LOL
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #92 of 153
Is there a point of having a Macworld without Apple being there (this is the last year)? Is there a point of going if Steve isn't giving the keynote? What are the Apple nerds going to do in January? There is a bowling alley next to Moscone, anyone up for nerd bowling?
post #93 of 153
Less expos, less rumors, less rumor sites. AppleInsider will die a spiraling death.
post #94 of 153
Apple is totally oblivious to what things like this do to their shareholders. We are down another 4-5% after hours. The hedgefunds are shorting anyway to protect their December Option Positions. Apple management makes that hatchet job easy.

I emailed Apple Investor Relations to ask if Steve would at least be present at the Event? I urge everyone to do the same. I'm tired of being screwed by this totally unaware management. Let them know you are too!
post #95 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I wonder if IDG could do a multimedia event online in future - or would that be a bit technical?

I also hope that this change in the yearly timetable might help stabilize Apple's stock.

In "stabilize" do you mean the stock can go up a lot but no longer do down a lot? That would be nice.
post #96 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshel View Post

Apple is totally oblivious to what things like this do to their shareholders. We are down another 4-5% after hours. The hedgefunds are shorting anyway to protect their December Option Positions. Apple management makes that hatchet job easy.

I emailed Apple Investor Relations to ask if Steve would at least be present at the Event? I urge everyone to do the same. I'm tired of being screwed by this totally unaware management. Let them know you are too!

That doesn't make sense though. Apple's taking a stance that will save them millions over the years if not in a single year. Only abject idiocy could make and investor fail to see the forest through the trees here.

Apple is run by more people than Steve Jobs.. The difference between Apple today and Apple before Job's Return is that they have a clarity of vision.

Apple has to realize that Expos are not the ideal way to reach customers. Retail stores in conjection with special press events are a much more effective way of spending company resources and reaching out to consumers.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #97 of 153
Quote:
Apple announced Tuesday that next month is the last time the company will exhibit at Macworld Expo in San Francisco and that chief executive Steve Jobs will not be making a keynote presentation this year.

Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing,*will deliver the opening keynote for this years Macworld Conference & Expo, and it*will be Apples last keynote at the show.


It's been part of Apple CEO's job to be the public spokeperson and chief motivator behind the Apple brand. If Steve Jobs is ill, he should retire and Apple should use the event to introduce its next CEO.

Looking at the future, there is no reason why Apple should not take part in the CES trade show held in Las Vegas every January at about the same time as MacWorld San Francisco.

Apple needs the visibility and motivation of a public trade show to showcase its latest products. If no longer MacWorld San Francisco, then surely the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas.

post #98 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

I would have preferred Bertrand Serlet and the team to talk about Snow Leopard and software for 2 hours rather than Phil Schiller, but I guess that wouldn't interest everyone. We'd probably all learn something interesting though.

Snow Leopard=Software=WWDC

Sure it would be nice, but this is MacWorld and time to focus on the Mac and hopefully some new hardware. They could throw in a bit about Snow Leopard, but certainly not devote the whole keynote to it.
post #99 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

this...is stunning

Apple never surprise me personally. They go from ridiculous, to crazy, to revolutionary, in one month - every month.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #100 of 153
This is great news.

MacWorld SanFran has been dying a slow death like all mega tradefests. In the age of the internet and while staring into recession, it is incredibly stupid to build a show around corporate budgets and meet-and-greets.

Hopefully, IDG will take the opportunity to build an area-specific show held in major centres.

Use the disengagement with Apple to build a discount show flooded with local Mac retailers.
Build an experience around user workshops, user-group roundtables and programmers' networks.

Ensure every show builds some kind of app or solution geared to the local community.

Oh, and start with Toronto.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #101 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Possible. A lot of NeXT people have already left. I guess even Apple gets boring after a while.


I haven't read all the responses, but...I'm gonna say it....I don't think Steve is a very good presenter.

The guy I was really impressed with was the young guy in charge of iPod development I think it was. He presented very eloquently, not an 'um' or an 'ah' anywhere in his speech. And Steve kept saying 'boom' ad nauseum - what about, for variety, something like 'bam' or 'woosh' or 'cha-ding' once in awhile? ;-)

Sure Steve is charismatic, but he's as mortal as you and I, let's not forget that. Things change - tell your friends!
post #102 of 153
When was the last time he was seen? For all we know he is in hospice care and the end is near?
post #103 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

Possible. A lot of NeXT people have already left. I guess even Apple gets boring after a while.

There are several possibilities:
  1. Apple is not ready with their Core i7 systems.
  2. Snow Leopard is not ready for a "Bake-off".
  3. Snow Leopard is mostly "under the hood". The technology is not appropriate for MW, better for WDCC.

I do know that they are working on something that has Steve very excited
This too must not be ready. But, I hear they are close!

I am planning my next purchases whenever Snow Leopard appears on a Core i7 system.
post #104 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by aheneen View Post

snow leopard=software=wwdc

sure it would be nice, but this is macworld and time to focus on the mac and hopefully some new hardware. They could throw in a bit about snow leopard, but certainly not devote the whole keynote to it.

2001 mwsf
post #105 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKuei View Post

MWSF 2007 saw the unveiling of something called the iPhone. But it sounds like you weren't impressed...

Not particularly. It's called MACworld. Not PHONEworld.
post #106 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That doesn't make sense though. Apple's taking a stance that will save them millions over the years if not in a single year. Only abject idiocy could make and investor fail to see the forest through the trees here.

Apple is run by more people than Steve Jobs.. The difference between Apple today and Apple before Job's Return is that they have a clarity of vision.

Apple has to realize that Expos are not the ideal way to reach customers. Retail stores in conjection with special press events are a much more effective way of spending company resources and reaching out to consumers.

The announcement was handled VERY POORLY.

Many people fly and pay a lot of money to see this event and to give a press release this late in the game screws MacWorld and sends a very poor message to both the end users and the Market.

If you had paid $500 for airline tickets/$600 for a room for the few days and registration fee I think you'd have another viewpoint.

Many people go to this event to see Steve Jobs speak (Not one of them, I think he's an arrogant egocentric maniac) but he does have a big following.

At least Google and Adobe had the good business sense to make their announcements much earlier than this.

Poor Business Management and Not good for the Stock Holders.
post #107 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What you mean a message for the same collection of idiots that just needed a govt funded bailout?

Tradeshows are passe..have been so for years. If the Web is killing print publishing then it stands to reason that it effectively killed tradeshows a LONG time ago.

Apple needs to deliver products when they're ready.

Tradeshows are done..stick a fork in them for the most part. WWDC will continue because Developers need one to one time with Apple Engineers and Apple makes money or at least defrays the costs by charging for WWDC.

People have ignored the continuing decline in tradeshows for some time. 2008 Macworld Expo attendance was up but attendance was down at both CES(-9%) and CEDIA(-14%). NAMM attendance was up but NAB was down. Interop is doing well but people forget that this is a consolidated show which includes the former COMDEX show. Apple has assiduously built an alternative means to engage potential buyers when they are most ready to part with their money and without any reliance on a third-party to call the shots. Apple Retail affords more people the opportunity to conveniently learn about Apple products first-hand. Apple's withdrawal from Expo is no surprise for those who have been paying attention to Apple, tradeshows and the economy.

I think WWDC is safe. Attendance at developer conferences has been pretty solid and, as you noted, these conferences allow for in-depth presentations and face time with engineering resources.
post #108 of 153
Apple has done well with their invite only special events. If they want to quell speculation about Steve then they can simply announce an Apple Special event in the new year with Steve'o at the mic.

I hope all is well with Mr. Steve P. Jobs.
post #109 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

The announcement was handled VERY POORLY.

Many people fly and pay a lot of money to see this event and to give a press release this late in the game screws MacWorld and sends a very poor message to both the end users and the Market.

If you had paid $500 for airline tickets/$600 for a room for the few days and registration fee I think you'd have another viewpoint.

Many people go to this event to see Steve Jobs speak (Not one of them, I think he's an arrogant egocentric maniac) but he does have a big following.

At least Google and Adobe had the good business sense to make their announcements much earlier than this.

Poor Business Management and Not good for the Stock Holders.

Perhaps Apple and Jobs are just tired of all the crap that guys like you can't seem to stop throwing.

The beauty of having special events in your own home is that you can keep out the free loaders.
post #110 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps Apple and Jobs are just tired of all the crap that guys like you can't seem to stop throwing.

The beauty of having special events in your own home is that you can keep out the free loaders.

It's people like me that pay his paycheck and I've taken a bath on Apple's Stock in the last year. This shows a total lack of respect for the Mac Community.

Enjoy the event from your living room but Apple OWE'S more than this to the end users/buyers, MacWorld and the Stock Holders.
post #111 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Apple needs the visibility and motivation of a public trade show to showcase its latest products. If no longer MacWorld San Francisco, then surely the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas.


It will be interesting to see if Apple chooses to participate at CES in 2010. CES attendance has been trending lower. Apple is well-situated in the Silicon Valley with an eager tech journalism industry anxious to scoop one another. I think Apple can get great coverage using media events (both large and small) to make announcements.
post #112 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshel View Post

Apple is totally oblivious to what things like this do to their shareholders. We are down another 4-5% after hours. The hedgefunds are shorting anyway to protect their December Option Positions. Apple management makes that hatchet job easy.

I emailed Apple Investor Relations to ask if Steve would at least be present at the Event? I urge everyone to do the same. I'm tired of being screwed by this totally unaware management. Let them know you are too!

oh boy, aren't we getting a little over-excited here? you need to have a look at what has repeatedly happened before macworld expo (massive rumour/hype build-up, impossible to live up to) and after (over-hyped 'analysts' reporting to be 'disappointed') and the result has often been a drop of the stock, no matter what. kinda like what happens when apple reports good quarterly results.

of course 'urging everybody to email apple relations' on an internet rumour site must seriously impress the 'totally unaware management'... by all means keep us posted on how that's going!
post #113 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Farm View Post

This makes sense, and it won't infringe on Apple's ability to launch its products through press events throughout the year. But it won't play like that -- it plays like Santa canceling Christmas, like the end of an era, like Steve Jobs being seriously unwell if he is unable to give the final Macworld keynote and finish what he started.

The things I will miss about MacWorld Expo is the anticipation of what might be. I remember when these rumor websites would all be guessing as to what Steve would be introducing and seeing which site had the "inside goods" and then there was the inevitable who got what specs correct, Monday Morning quarterbacking.

I'll miss the friendly banter that Steve would give MS at the beginning of the last few MacWorlds with the I'm a PC guy, or from the funny banners hanging in the hallway, etc.

I'll miss the throngs of Mac lovers, programmers, developers, customers, and employees sitting on the edge of their seats, the cheers, laughter, clapping, oooo's and aaaaawwww's.

And of course, the ever fashionable, "there's one more thing".

I have never been to a MacWorld Expo but I always looked forward to viewing the presentation on Apple's website, and while Apple may have more "venues" such as the Apple store or Special Press Announcements, but it's going to be a different class of people. If I recall correctly, the last Media Event held at the Apple campus was craptacular. Apple made all this hype over this event and after the event was over, people were left saying "that was it?" "that is what the fuss was about?" Of course the media was there in body only, not in "Apple Spirit" or "a Think Different mind set". The whole event wasn't even worth taping and posting to Apple's website. It was 40 minutes I would have wanted back.

I just don't think Apple is going to accomplish what it had with thousands of attendees, programmers, developers, etc as compared to a group of members of the media. And Apple stores, sure has the traffic, although I haven't been to my local store in half a year so if something "comes out", I probably wouldn't get a chance to be a part of it even if I could because there would be less build up than waiting for MacWorld to get here.

Heaven forbid, but what would these rumor sites have left other than reporting yesterdays news? Would be like reading the newspaper today of all the big stories you saw played over and over again on cable news yesterday.

So long MacWorld Expo. You were too good while it lasted...

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Reply
post #114 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Not particularly. It's called MACworld. Not PHONEworld.

not yet...
post #115 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

You have short memory....2007, iPhone...

I certainly wasn't. "Here's an insanely expensive phone with outdated hardware which isn't going to be available until six months from now. You will not be able to install anything on it. And oh, if you're not from the US, you can't have one."

Not a single word about Macs at Macworld either, something Steve specifically mentioned what Macworld was about the year before.

The iPhone didn't get great until the iPhone 3G and the AppStore launch.
post #116 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

I certainly wasn't. "Here's an insanely expensive phone with outdated hardware which isn't going to be available until six months from now. You will not be able to install anything on it. And oh, if you're not from the US, you can't have one."

Not a single word about Macs at Macworld either, something Steve specifically mentioned what Macworld was about the year before.

The iPhone didn't get great until the iPhone 3G and the AppStore launch.

which of course was why it failed so miserably right from the start, right?
post #117 of 153
Apple can do announcements, like the last one on October 17, 2008 at their headquarters. Hopefully, Steve's pancreatic cancer is not back\
post #118 of 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshel View Post

Apple is totally oblivious to what things like this do to their shareholders. We are down another 4-5% after hours. The hedgefunds are shorting anyway to protect their December Option Positions. Apple management makes that hatchet job easy.

I emailed Apple Investor Relations to ask if Steve would at least be present at the Event? I urge everyone to do the same. I'm tired of being screwed by this totally unaware management. Let them know you are too!

A big reason (I think) our economy is in the crapper is because of day-traders and their desperate need for instant gratification. Too many CEOs have sacrificed their companies' futures pandering to people like you.

So I say to you with all due respect: shove it. What ever happened to buying stock and holding it for 20, 30, 40 years?
post #119 of 153
1) Steve's sick and can't do it. Argument: His personality seems to feed on the keynotes and I don't think he'd willingly skip one if he didn't have to.

2) the company is making a wise move to deemphasize jobs' importance to the company. Argument: the stock is vulnerable until the company does so. Supporting arguments: By not having jobs give the keynote the company also heightens the profiles of other team members.

3) despite many posts here to the effect that apple's doing fine despite the economic climate, there were several news reports/analysts reports today suggesting its sales were falling especially relative to competitors. I think the company will announce a netbook or some enhanced iPhone/iPodTouch/Tablet alternative, at MWSF.

4) Having organized trade shows for many years, i think there's enough cult-of-mac interest to support a couple of meetings a year (west coast, east coast) providing fans with exposure to hundreds of mac-related products and to educational sessions akin to the "university" at expos. We may have seen the last macworld expo; i don't think we've seen the last mac-based event (not including apple "special media events")

5) lastly, i'd remind people that one year COMDEX attracted 200,000 computer industry related people to Las Vegas, and four years later that meeting was extinct. Amazing, but true.
post #120 of 153
This day is beginning of the end of Apple fanboism.

It's sad, now Apple will tone down its Think Different and baa like the rest. Wether we like it or not, Steve had always been the spirit of Apple and that spirit is winding down.

Wow this is the Mac's 25th Anniversary! We laughed we cried, it was a fun ride...
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple says 2009 Macworld Expo will be its last