or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Obama Checklist

The Obama Checklist

post #1 of 14
First congrats to Pres-Elect Obama on being Time's Man of the Year.

The article offers up a sort of unofficial checklist and I thought I would post it and see what your thoughts are on that list and the ability of it to get done and what "done" will represent since like many politicians, there is some leeway in the wording. They are presented as a series of questions and I will change the formatting to make them more like a list.

Quote:
"Have we helped this economy recover from what is the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression?

Have we instituted financial regulations and rules of the road that assure this kind of crisis doesn't occur again?

Have we created jobs that pay well and allow families to support themselves?

Have we made significant progress on reducing the cost of health care and expanding coverage?

Have we begun what will probably be a decade-long project to shift America to a new energy economy?

Have we begun what may be an even longer project of revitalizing our public-school systems?"

There's more: "Have we closed down Guantánamo in a responsible way, put a clear end to torture and restored a balance between the demands of our security and our Constitution?

Have we rebuilt alliances around the world effectively?

Have I drawn down U.S. troops out of Iraq, and have we strengthened our approach in Afghanistan — not just militarily but also diplomatically and in terms of development?

And have we been able to reinvigorate international institutions to deal with transnational threats, like climate change, that we can't solve on our own?"

And: "Outside of specific policy measures, two years from now, I want the American people to be able to say, 'Government's not perfect; there are some things Obama does that get on my nerves. But you know what? I feel like the government's working for me. I feel like it's accountable. I feel like it's transparent. I feel that I am well informed about what government actions are being taken. I feel that this is a President and an Administration that admits when it makes mistakes and adapts itself to new information.'"

The last one sounds like a line from the 2012 re-election platform. Can it be done? What will represent "done" in your view?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 14
I smell a trap.
post #3 of 14
You seem to be mocking the last line a bit, but I don't understand why.

That's essentially how I hope I feel two years from now. If he acheives that last goal, that means he'll be doing about 1000x better than the Bush administration.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

First congrats to Pres-Elect Obama on being Time's Man of the Year.

That was a surprise. Who did you want, Sarah Palin?

Quote:
What will represent "done" in your view?

First of all, Obama will have to review/rescind the grocery list of willy-nilly laws that our current lame duck executive asshole has put into effect.

Then he will become president. Then he will preside. Then we'll see.

And fuck Time magazine.
post #5 of 14
What a bunch of airy fairy nonsense! Why, there's nothing there but vague generalities and feel good sloganeering!

Obviously, the empty suit Obama intends to continue to dazzle us with his soaring rhetoric while being strangely shifty on the particulars. And what better way to do that than by providing us with a checklist of particulars by which to judge his accomplishments? Talk about your wiggle-room!

And don't even get me started on how his transition efforts have been nothing but smoke and mirrors and presumption and arrogance! I guess that greek temple at his coronation, I mean nomination, was just the beginning. Half the time I can't tell if we're about to install a new president or if we're attending Nazi rallies! It's all so terrifying!

You sure did call it NIck!
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

I smell a trap.

You're right. I wanted you to think and you almost did. Curses... foiled again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

You seem to be mocking the last line a bit, but I don't understand why.

That's essentially how I hope I feel two years from now. If he acheives that last goal, that means he'll be doing about 1000x better than the Bush administration.

I'm not trying to mock it. It just sounded like a part of a stump speech instead of part of the list. It doesn't sound stump speech-ish to you? That is all I meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

That was a surprise. Who did you want, Sarah Palin?

First of all, Obama will have to review/rescind the grocery list of willy-nilly laws that our current lame duck executive asshole has put into effect.

Then he will become president. Then he will preside. Then we'll see.

And fuck Time magazine.

Well..... there it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

What a bunch of airy fairy nonsense! Why, there's nothing there but vague generalities and feel good sloganeering!

Obviously, the empty suit Obama intends to continue to dazzle us with his soaring rhetoric while being strangely shifty on the particulars. And what better way to do that than by providing us with a checklist of particulars by which to judge his accomplishments? Talk about your wiggle-room!

And don't even get me started on how his transition efforts have been nothing but smoke and mirrors and presumption and arrogance! I guess that greek temple at his coronation, I mean nomination, was just the beginning. Half the time I can't tell if we're about to install a new president or if we're attending Nazi rallies! It's all so terrifying!

You sure did call it NIck!

Well..... there it is part 2.

post #7 of 14
There WHAT is?
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ artman View Post

There WHAT is?

WHOOMP! ...
post #9 of 14
rant du jour

post #10 of 14
Quote:

You're right. I wanted you to think and you almost did. Curses... foiled again!

I knew it was a trap.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

I knew it was a trap.

Sorry, it was a double-trick. I secretly wanted to deepen your conditioning with regard to NOT thinking.

It totally worked too!

post #12 of 14
Quote:

Sorry, it was a double-trick. I secretly wanted to deepen your conditioning with regard to NOT thinking.

I totally worked too!

You did. You totally worked.

Happy Christmast!
post #13 of 14
Was the T on the end of Christmas intentional or just subconscious karma?

post #14 of 14
Quote:

Was the T on the end of Christmas intentional or just subconscious karma?

No, no, it's Christmast time!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › The Obama Checklist