or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Dell rumored to give MacBook Air a run for its money
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dell rumored to give MacBook Air a run for its money - Page 4

post #121 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I Only true to an extent when you compare very high-end computers. Certain common items like the processor are universal, of course, but even components like RAM tend to be much cheaper and less reliable in your typical HP, Gateway, Dell. Motherboards are often custom-designed for the Apple computers and special capabilities are implemented well. What really sets the two apart, though, is the degree to which Apples are carefully designed and tested. You rarely see the same sort of reliability in another system. Buy your family members home-made computers and you'll start to see the difference here.

Apple certainly spends a lot of resources designing and engineering the shells and internal structure, but the vast majority of the internal components in a Macbook or Macbook Pro are not exclusive to Apple and not even premium parts. Not just the CPU, I'm talking about the motherboard, supporting chipsets like the cypress USB Controllers, Realtek Audio, 3rd party bluetooth and WiFi , the SDRAM, the harddrives, the display panel, etc. And I'm not sure what you mean by "special capabilities" considering the Macbook doesn't even have FW400, eSATA, Expresscard, SD/CF card reader, built-in 3G broadband, and other standard items on upscale Dell or Sony laptops.

When you are attempting to compare laptops from the manufacturers, you need to make sure you are comparing models at similar price points. I can't speak for the $500 bargain bin, but decently priced Dell XPS and Precision laptops use top-shelf components like 1920x1200 LED screens (even in 15"), quad-core processors, eSATA, etc.
post #122 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It's a pity that the only mention of me using OSX on my PC is when Mr H suggested that I 'implied' that that was the case. This unfortunately isn't proof of anything.

I quite agree I don't deserve to use it, that doesn't mean I can't! But once again, that's Apple's loss.



Once again, apparently I'm a thief without any proof at all! The mind boggles.


By the tenor of all of your posts, IT IS your implied objective to run OS X on non-Apple hardware, which is of course a violation of Apple EULA. Many individuals have already done just that, but that does not make it legal. If you truly desire the experience of using OS X, why then would you break the law and violate the EULA to settle for a half-baked option? There is no guarantee that OS X would even run on your hardware.

Whether stated or not, skirting the issue as you have here, reveals your intentions despite your fervent denials. It appears that, if given the opportunity, you would obtain OS X (legally or otherwise) with the intent to run it on non-Apple hardware. If you really want to find out if it runs on your Dell (it won't), then just buy it. To be honest however to really experience OS X properly, scrape together your pennies and get a real Mac and learn the truth. I guarantee your overclocked, overstuffed and tired PC would be headed for the dustbin.

When a person rants and raves, as you have here, they are usually trying to justify themselves or their actions and they need an audience to do that. Apparently you have found something of an audience here, but unfortunately, for you, your rants make you look foolish and misinformed. This forum is for those of us with a common interest and the sharing of knowledge of the Apple Macintosh computer and obviously you do NOT own one, so please explain, what is your point for posting here? Otherwise, I'm sure there is some other forum out there where you would fit right in.
Mac user since 1990 - System 6.0.7 through OS X 10.6 - Mac Mini (2009) - 4/320 - Snow Leopard
Reply
Mac user since 1990 - System 6.0.7 through OS X 10.6 - Mac Mini (2009) - 4/320 - Snow Leopard
Reply
post #123 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Still pushing on something that's just not selling, I see.

May I suggest going to the gym and then you'll maybe be able to lift something a trifle heavier yet much more powerful and portable?


The MBA is plenty powerful for my needs, thanks, and yes, I know what I'm talking about. I have (and need) a tricked-out MacPro at the office and iMacs at home, and have a 15" MBP and a MacBook. I prefer the MBA for weight and size considerations. Don't worry, chap, I regularly climb mountains as a group leader and usually have a bag weighing in at over 20 kg (the same as a MacPro) on my back (or sometimes somebody's kid), so I can handle the weight; I still prefer the MBA for its lightness. Much of my preference is also not personal, but in consideration of others: I often have lunch meetings and need to pass the computer around; the lighter, the better.

In short, I know what I want and need in a portable computer and have made my choice and am very happy with it. If the MBA doesn't suit your needs, don't buy it, but please stop bashing it the way you do, and stop transferring your attack on to the people who own it and use it.

Oh, and about "not selling", you might want to look back through some of Apple's financial reports and check out the online store top-seller list (the MBA is still at #5 or higher in many countries; in Japan, where I live, it's #2, ahead of the MBP, and in Mexico the MBA pulls in at #1). A little research goes a long way. While you're at it, enjoy joining my ignore list.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #124 of 173
I would be happy if Dell were to introduce a laptop thinner than the MacBook Air by dropping the HDD altogether and mounting the flash on the motherboard. Apple might then respond with a redesign that, hopefully, would be lighter weight. I don't care about thinner, but lighter would be an improvement. The biggest change I want in the MacBook Air is 4GB of ram.

ps: Could we please stop arguing about whether or not it's ok to steal MacOS X??? I think we all know that stealing is not good.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #125 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post

By the tenor of all of your posts, IT IS your implied objective to run OS X on non-Apple hardware, which is of course a violation of Apple EULA. Many individuals have already done just that, but that does not make it legal. If you truly desire the experience of using OS X, why then would you break the law and violate the EULA to settle for a half-baked option? There is no guarantee that OS X would even run on your hardware.

Whether stated or not, skirting the issue as you have here, reveals your intentions despite your fervent denials. It appears that, if given the opportunity, you would obtain OS X (legally or otherwise) with the intent to run it on non-Apple hardware. If you really want to find out if it runs on your Dell (it won't), then just buy it. To be honest however to really experience OS X properly, scrape together your pennies and get a real Mac and learn the truth. I guarantee your overclocked, overstuffed and tired PC would be headed for the dustbin.

When a person rants and raves, as you have here, they are usually trying to justify themselves or their actions and they need an audience to do that. Apparently you have found something of an audience here, but unfortunately, for you, your rants make you look foolish and misinformed. This forum is for those of us with a common interest and the sharing of knowledge of the Apple Macintosh computer and obviously you do NOT own one, so please explain, what is your point for posting here? Otherwise, I'm sure there is some other forum out there where you would fit right in.

The point I'm making is that there is absolutely no point in discussing how product X compares to Apple product Y around here, as product X is always going to be 'inferior' because it cannot easily and legally run OSX. And the reason it cannot do that is because of Apple. There are thousands of people who have fallen for the marketting and paid over the odds for their hardware, thus lining Apple's pockets. This gives Apple the impression that it's OK to pass off low-midrange hardware at high end prices. The same thing happened with the iPhone, where so many people fell for the marketing and sleek appearance that they pretty much emptied their pockets for Apple, which in turn was setting a very dangerous precedent for other mobile manufacturers. Thankfully, that did fizzle out, as people in the UK at least knew that there were far better deals out there, and the iPhone 3G had to switch to a standard subsidized model.

So at the end of the day, it's Apple who are holding back all of these other computers from being great. Perhaps instead of calling on Microsoft to rewrite their OS, or Dell to write one from scratch, we should be calling on Apple to release their OS as a standalone package. And my other point was that even if Apple choose not to sell it as a standalone package, people can still use it anyway, which means Apple isn't rewarded for its efforts. If it wants to get paid for its hard word, it should offer the product that potential customers are demanding.

Quote:
ps: Could we please stop arguing about whether or not it's ok to steal MacOS X??? I think we all know that stealing is not good.

I would certainly agree that stealing it is bad, but to my mind that's Apples fault for not selling it at a reasonable price to anyone who wants it, who can install it on whatever hardware they want without having to hack it.
post #126 of 173
Oh man. Knowing what Dell's build quality is like on their laptops, if they made a laptop as thin as the Air, it would snap clean in half.

A challenger to the Air? No. It'll be like all of Dell's other laptops - a cheaper, lower quality alternative to Apple's notebooks.
post #127 of 173
Dell, the Yugo of computers. If you really must buy a PC, get a Sony Viao. If you can aim high, always go for a Mac.
post #128 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

I would certainly agree that stealing it is bad, but to my mind that's Apples fault for not selling it at a reasonable price to anyone who wants it, who can install it on whatever hardware they want without having to hack it.

By your logic, if I steal your car because you wouldn't sell it to me at a price that I judged to be reasonable, then it would be your fault.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #129 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

By your logic, if I steal your car because you wouldn't sell it to me at a price that I judged to be reasonable, then it would be your fault.

That's different though as by taking my car I can no longer use it. But someone stealing OSX doesn't stop you being able to run it. Basically when it comes to software, it's the consumers who have the power.
post #130 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

It's perfectly obvious how Dell can make a laptop thinner than the MacBook Air. Just drop the HDD and mount the flash directly on the motherboard.

Yeah but I'll bet the Dell unit has more than one cheap USB port!

Speaking of which, I bought one of those new unibody MacBooks, and man oh man, I really miss 1394...
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
Hot tub blonde, pouring champagne: "Say when..." Dangerfield: "Right after this drink."
Reply
post #131 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Yeah but I'll bet the Dell unit has more than one cheap USB port!

Speaking of which, I bought one of those new unibody MacBooks, and man oh man, I really miss 1394...

I have one wrapped under the tree for my wife, not used it yet. Tell me, have they allowed 'Target Mode' using the USB by any chance? Also given USB2 is pretty fast are there any FW400 - USB2 converter cable/ boxes available? Just curious. Thnx.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #132 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloboldie View Post

Dell, the Yugo of computers. If you really must buy a PC, get a Sony Viao. If you can aim high, always go for a Mac.

This made me chuckle and I had a thought ... As a Christmas stocking fillers for Mac users someone should make a utility that lets you have fun with Parallels or VMware so that you can change the looks. Instead of 'Select XP Pro' or 'Vista' it could say 'Yugo Mode' or 'Lada' ...
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #133 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I thought the Air was a failure according to some but yet we see more and more companies lining up to make similar computers.

the notion is NOT a failure. what failed is the lack of real power. and price.
post #134 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklos View Post

I don't think Apple is concerned about what Dell does anyways.

As long as it's not violating their legal rights, I doubt Apple really worries about what anyone does.

I mean think about it. all the other companies are screaming that computers just gotta have a Blu-ray drive, but Apple says that downloads are the way to go. So no Blu-ray drives in their computers. They didn't even make an external, they let a 3rd party company deal with that and another one deal with burning software.
post #135 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

As long as it's not violating their legal rights, I doubt Apple really worries about what anyone does.

I mean think about it. all the other companies are screaming that computers just gotta have a Blu-ray drive, but Apple says that downloads are the way to go. So no Blu-ray drives in their computers. They didn't even make an external, they let a 3rd party company deal with that and another one deal with burning software.

Yup. "Think Different" for sure and usually two to three years ahead of everyone else. I guess the lag behind Apple for others is retooling and the reverse engineering time.
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #136 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

It seems that unless a product is running OSX, it is dismissed outright in these parts.

check the url. this is APPLEinsider. not computerinsider. of course a fair majority of folks will be apple peeps.

Quote:
But did you ever stop to consider that it's the company you're praising and defending that's causing all of these problems by refusing to allow it's OS to run on anything other than Apple hardware?

and did you ever consider that the relative lack of problems is because they don't allow it.

so long as Apple is within their legal rights, and so far the courts say they are, then they can do what they want. if you don't like it, go build your own OS that will work the way you want on the hardware you want.
post #137 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

A pig wearing lipstick is still a pig.

The interesting thing is that regardless what Dell has up its sleeve, it seems the bigger players are realizing that the MBA is a goal to reach. So much for those critics and whiners predicting that the MBA is a failure.

Unlike the critics, I'm a proud MBA owner. I come from owning Dells, Toshibas, and Sony's. My MBA is by far the best notebook I've ever owned.

At $1,799+, the MacBook Air is a major failure. Sorry you bought one.
post #138 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

So I go to Apple, pay £83 take my DVD home and install and use OSX without any issues or hacking at all? I don't think so. It sounds far more likely that when I try to install OSX that I have just paid £83, I would get a message telling me that I am not running Apple hardware and can therefore not install OSX.

You have already said you won't buy it because you can't run it on whatever you want.

So you aren't using MacOS anything.

and this is a board for Apple products, in particular the computers.

so if you aren't using it, won't use it etc. why are you here. seems like the only reason is to troll and piss folks off.

Apple has every legal right, at this point in time, to control the hardware. if you can't handle that, it's your problem. but the growing market share is a pretty clear sign that enough folks are willing to take what they are given without a fuss.
post #139 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I thought the Air was a failure according to some but yet we see more and more companies lining up to make similar computers.

That's of course just sour grapes from companies without the innovation or wherewithal to have produced one first.

Unfortunately for Apple, the Air came out before it was very clear to everyone that the economy was about to explode. The Air's sales aren't doing so well in the personal sector, though in business I still see it very often. The sort of people who seem to be buying the Air right now (at least in NYC where I live) are the kind of people who want a suped-up netbook and have the money to pay for it. This is the market that Dell is about to enter, during the detonation of the US economy, and I think they're going to fail, no matter how good the product is, which is unfortunate. Apple's innovation is responsive to its competition. It's in everyone's best interest that Apple's competition produce very good, innovative products of their own so that Apple has an even higher bar to reach.

But when Dell's little experiment gets released and everyone sees that Vista Green, I think there's going to be some disappointment.
post #140 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Why pay for anything when you can get it for free by stealing it?

as much as I don't like this guy, as much as I think he's nothing but a troll and wish he would leave

he never said he did or would steal it.

he said he won't buy it until he can put it on anything he wants without having to bother with hacking it.
post #141 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

That's different though as by taking my car I can no longer use it. But someone stealing OSX doesn't stop you being able to run it. Basically when it comes to software, it's the consumers who have the power.

Ok, then I'll take your car after you go to sleep and promise to return it before you wake up. Please post your address, the car's make, model, colour, and plate number. If you leave the keys above the visor, then I can promise not to damage anything. If you don't leave the keys above the visor, then any damage is your fault, by your own logic. Alternatively, if you trade me your car for a licensed copy of OS X (which I consider a fair price for your car), then I would no longer have the right, according to your logic, to steal it.
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
Mac user since August 1983.
Reply
post #142 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Still pushing on something that's just not selling, I see.

May I suggest going to the gym and then you'll maybe be able to lift something a trifle heavier yet much more powerful and portable?

How do you know it's not selling, give us some proof son.
post #143 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2016g View Post

They didn't leave it for windows to release a new version of windows for apple,

no such thing. if you are running windows, even on the same hardware specs, it's not an apple. it's a PC.

Quote:
but instead they release boot camp

and what is boot camp. it is an utility program that allows you to perform a non-destructive partitioning of your hard drive and a conversion of the new partition into a windows drive which you then install some version of windows into. it is also a utility that allows you to select which OS you are booting into when you start up or restart your computer.

apple only offers the most basic of support for boot camp. they were nice enough to put it on the restore disks with windows drivers for the isight etc. they offer some information likely because if you don't set it up correctly you could screw up the mac side of things. but they won't set it up for you, they don't sell Windows in the store or on the site etc.

the likely reason they have parallels and fusion on the shelves is that the companies paid them to put them up there. but again, apple offers no support for such programs or for the windows side of your computer. if you use any of the three you are on your own

Quote:
and changed there hardware to fit windows better (intel) (although that wasn't so much to let people run windows better, but it fitted in with windows).

first you say they did it just for windows then you say they didn't but it was a happy bonus, so which was it.
post #144 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

thats fantastic... I spent more than your 6 years working as a tech doing repairs including warranty work on many brands, including Dell and Apple. I've worked on some large contracts with MANY Dell machines, it took a few full time techs to do nothing but repair broken Dells all day every day onsite, but there were many many thousands of machines, and it was to be expected. I've worked on more than I ever cared to work on, and probably still will... I have met many who really don't like their job much, but they do it, so they somehow relate their negative feelings onto something else, such as the computer brand. Dell makes some awesome computers, but yes I admitted a lot of their "cheap" stuff is made poorly, but that's not all of their systems. Many of their higher end desktops, workstations, and servers are awesome machines all over, and Apple hasn't gotten even close to competing with single solutions...
I just like how your post assumes, the way you wrote it, that I just was saying things and had no experience in the matter... And you site the mac Pro as easy to take apart? holy crap... easy to remove a side panel maybe... but I can strip out and replace every single part in the case in most every Dell twice as fast as a Mac Pro... they are made to be much easier to work on. If you go back to some of their older designs (and a few current ones) its even faster... that's not even getting into laptops... one of our best mac techs (who is faster than me) changed out a motherboard in a single Macbook Pro in the same time I got 3 switched out in Dell laptops...
As for customer support, sadly for the all over, Apple is no better. People rate them higher, because they are happier overall, not because their support is actually better. You have to take into account everything, not just if the tech on the phone couldn't help you. How about Apple not being able to help, so they make you mail your computer off for 2 weeks, or drive 300 miles one way to get to an Apple Store, whereas Dell sends out a person to your house/business the next day or two...

Last time I checked the point of customer support is to make the customer happy or no?
post #145 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

the notion is NOT a failure. what failed is the lack of real power. and price.

So I guess all the other ultra portables which cost more than the Air and have less power are also failures, I mean all the other ultra portables must also be failures.
post #146 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

we should be calling on Apple to release their OS as a standalone package.

I, and a lot of people, disagree. We recognize that Apple has every right to control what hardware is used with their software.

So what WE are calling on Apple to is is not to make Apple so that it can work on every crappy hardware set up in the world, but to take measures to make their computers as cost effective as possible, as green as possible and to increase support availability by either opening more stores or certifying more 3rd party shops so they actually know what they are doing when they are repairing a Mac and aren't just tinkering around until they get something to work.
post #147 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Yeah but I'll bet the Dell unit has more than one cheap USB port!

and a slow ass firewire 400 port. just so they can say they are 'better' than the new mac books and the air
post #148 of 173
I think Dell does need some iconic products to jazz up its line of products. No doubt that their current line is so bad that it does not even suck.

The real reason I buy Apple is the OS not the hardware. Allegedly one can run Windows on a Mac (why would I do that) but no one buys Mac Hardware to run Windows.

Dell's real challenge will be their horrible poor hardware quality and even worse Windows.
post #149 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Last time I checked the point of customer support is to make the customer happy or no?


to a point yes.

Customer Support is about standing behind your product. When you have a working product but the customer is just being demanding, it's not customer support to make the customer happy, it is giving into a bully

take for example the iphone. if the phone is defective, it is a good customer support to replace it at no cost. if the customer drops it and breaks it, there's nothing to support. the customer is not going to be happy but it is his fault he dropped the phone and broke it. not Apple who gave him a working phone.
post #150 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Last time I checked the point of customer support is to make the customer happy or no?

somewhat. What i really meant was the customer is overall happier, with their entire experience, not just from support.. including sales, use, value... everything including support.

if support is equal or slightly less than Dell, with the rest of the Mac experience, the overall satisfaction will be higher, the customer is happier, and they rate anything asked about as higher.... the opposite is true. Even if someone has good experience with Dell support, but really was having problems with Vista and it agitated them, they could rate Dell and/or their support lower, just cuz of their negative feelings.
post #151 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Still pushing on something that's just not selling, I see.

May I suggest going to the gym and then you'll maybe be able to lift something a trifle heavier yet much more powerful and portable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

YOu must be ultra clumsy if the "Mag safe connector " is the reason to own it.
Next time your video stalls during an Ichat or webcast - do tell us about it.
And sorry but it is still to large to fit in any case - unless you're circa 2005.
Of course you'all who bought, paid bid cu'ching for them, love them- would you admit otherwise?
I'm so glad it was built for you but unfortunately the sales have STALLED and no ones else is buying it -TOO BAD.
People who also bought the Edsel love it and also had a collector's item. Good for you.
For everyone else: MBA=YAWN.

Actually, I go to the gym four to five times per week but even with that, there is no amount of lifting I can do to bench-press that juvenile ego of yours.

You believe the MBA was a failure and I personally claimed otherwise yet for some reason your remarks are all that matter? Apple's own financial statements has the MBA as one of the top sellers. Show us some proof.

If the MBA is a failure and stalled, what indicators are you using to come to that conclusion? I have not found any proof of that. When I am walking around the city, airports, etc, I see many strangers in their cafes or lounge seats using MBA's. Sure they are not as commonplace as Dell laptops but usually those users are leaning over to check out the machine. I walk into an Apple store and see quite a bit of interest in it and people walking out with one.

For mobile users, wires are bad. I love the MagSafe connector because having a laptop, being mobile, and having wires of any kind is a recipe for disaster. Clumsiness has nothing to do with it.

You seem to display a fair amount of hatred toward this particular product. That's fine with me and all the other countless people that have bought one and very satisfied with it. While this is a public forum and everyone is encouraged to contribute, bashing users the way you do is a good start to getting you banned from this site. Keep up the good work!

It's unfortunate that you decided to take low-road with your juvenile behavior instead of contributing to a healthy discussion about the topic at hand. You display very troll-like behavior. It seems your parents need a bigger padlock to keep you from escaping their basement.
post #152 of 173
Good lord, I read through all 4 pages and man did this thread get off track. Mr. H & MaynardJames, stopping acting like 2 year olds and grow up. mrochester made a hypothetical point, so stop accusing (him?) of being a thief. Has mrochester actually gone and hacked his PC to run OSX? No, so stop berating him over it.

Turning back to the topic, lets stop inserting the OSX vs. Windows debate, because it really has nothing to do with Dell's Adamo or Apple's MBA. These are hardware and should be judged from the basis of hardware criteria, not software. I'm anxious to see what Dell has up its sleeves. Any move that injects competition is a good thing.
post #153 of 173
This isn't true at certain times and it is true at certain times.

When Apple refreshes its machines, the major components of the machine are premium and sometimes exclusive.

- Apple was the first to use Yonah processors and the Napa chipset in its notebooks.

- Apple was the first computer manufacturer to use the new Woodcrest processors from Intel in the Mac Pro.

- Apple was to get Intel to design the low voltage Merom and the first to use in the Mac Book Air.

- Apple got Intel to over clock Penryn processor used in its high end iMac.

- Apple was the first to use 15" and 17" LED backlit LCD panels in notebooks.

- Apple has gotten Nvidia to design motherboards than incorporate the GPU.

At the time of the introduction of these technologies they were newest and premium components of the time. Its true that by the end of the computers refresh cycle, everyone else is using these components and they are no longer new or premium.





Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Apple certainly spends a lot of resources designing and engineering the shells and internal structure, but the vast majority of the internal components in a Macbook or Macbook Pro are not exclusive to Apple and not even premium parts. Not just the CPU, I'm talking about the motherboard, supporting chipsets like the cypress USB Controllers, Realtek Audio, 3rd party bluetooth and WiFi , the SDRAM, the harddrives, the display panel, etc.
post #154 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Apple's sales have risen on the back of iPod, a stable economy, the bad job MS did with Vista...at least initially and a tremendously clever and 'cool' ad campaign.

even now we speak about Apple and the cult of Mac and this amazing success when in truth they likely have less than 10% marketshare. It won't last unless Apple change.The opportunity was there and Apple took it fair play to them.

You also leave out the fact that Apple makes good products. They would not be able to stay in business if they did not.

This is essentially how any company succeeds. More often than not its a mix of both proper execution of strategy as well taking advantage of the failure of your competitor.



Quote:
it has been documented on a thread on here or maybe at MR that Dell operate in the 6-8%range.

Apple computers are in the 30-35% range, iPhone at 55% and ipod in the mid 40's.


I've never seen Apple's margins listed that high. Apple's margins are generally listed at around 20% - 22%.

The reason Dell margins are so low is because the majority of their sales are crappy cheap computers.
post #155 of 173
If the Air wasn't selling Dell would not be looking to make a competitor to it.

Strength isn't the problem. Carrying around too much weight adds a cumulative strain on your body. Its not good for your shoulders and back. It has nothing to do with strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Still pushing on something that's just not selling, I see.

May I suggest going to the gym and then you'll maybe be able to lift something a trifle heavier yet much more powerful and portable?
post #156 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Apple certainly spends a lot of resources designing and engineering the shells and internal structure, but the vast majority of the internal components in a Macbook or Macbook Pro are not exclusive to Apple and not even premium parts. Not just the CPU, I'm talking about the motherboard, supporting chipsets like the cypress USB Controllers, Realtek Audio, 3rd party bluetooth and WiFi , the SDRAM, the harddrives, the display panel, etc. And I'm not sure what you mean by "special capabilities" considering the Macbook doesn't even have FW400, eSATA, Expresscard, SD/CF card reader, built-in 3G broadband, and other standard items on upscale Dell or Sony laptops.

When you are attempting to compare laptops from the manufacturers, you need to make sure you are comparing models at similar price points. I can't speak for the $500 bargain bin, but decently priced Dell XPS and Precision laptops use top-shelf components like 1920x1200 LED screens (even in 15"), quad-core processors, eSATA, etc.

I agree with you general statements but once you get specific I have to disagree in that most *thin* 13" laptops from all manufacturers at most have one or two of these features: FW400, eSATA, ExpressCard, SD/CF card, 3G (still one or two is better then none).
Having a 1920x2000 in a 15" model is not something that all people will find better than a more standard resolution. Apple offers the 1920x1200 (or something close) in the 17" model as an *option*, if it where such a success, why would they not offering it as an option in 15" as well?
post #157 of 173
Well, even if Dell intends to build this Adamo as their icon, it's still someone else's icon(Apple) since they simply copied the others' idea rather than building it all on their own. It is at least a good thing for consumers though, as it will somehow push Apple to better MBA, which is already an excellent machine if you ask me.
post #158 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Turning back to the topic, lets stop inserting the OSX vs. Windows debate, because it really has nothing to do with Dell's Adamo or Apple's MBA. These are hardware and should be judged from the basis of hardware criteria, not software. I'm anxious to see what Dell has up its sleeves. Any move that injects competition is a good thing.

What total rubbish. Since when can any discussion of Apple v Dell be based on hardware alone?
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
Use duckduckgo.com with Safari, not Google Search
Been using Apples since 1978 and Macs since 1984
Long on AAPL so biased. Strong advocate for separation of technology and politics on AI.
Reply
post #159 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You also leave out the fact that Apple makes good products. They would not be able to stay in business if they did not.

This is essentially how any company succeeds. More often than not its a mix of both proper execution of strategy as well taking advantage of the failure of your competitor.






I've never seen Apple's margins listed that high. Apple's margins are generally listed at around 20% - 22%.

The reason Dell margins are so low is because the majority of their sales are crappy cheap computers.


whilst I understand your point, I would disagree.

Apple are perceived to make 'better' products than other windows based manufacturers. I think consumers in general can't differentiate between good and poor quality 'PC' hardware as it all runs Windows and the negative press Windows gets is hardware non specific.

Cheap hardware will have problems whatever OS it runs, the fact that 99% of the time, it runs windows somehow only damages MS not the actual hw manufacturer. Apple has clearly leveraged this point but in the real world the slightly savvy buyer knows the truth.

I would never nor could never recommend an Apple computer purely from a cost point of view. I would much rather build a PC for someone and stick Ubu or Fed on it if Windows was the issue.

Vista hasn't failed per se it has had more issues than any other MS os before which the press have jumped on and Apple has jumped on. The truth is that its now actually quite good, in my experience as stable as leopard and much more productive.

Apple is 'cool' .....at some point that will change. I'm sure this is just a short term phenomonen.
post #160 of 173
Hehehe, I'm sure you can't wait for thendqy that happens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Dell rumored to give MacBook Air a run for its money