or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper

post #1 of 96
Thread Starter 
A new-generation of NVIDIA-based iMacs are due to begin shipping out of China sometime next month, according to a new report out of the Far East.

Citing sources within Apple's supply chain, the Chinese-language Economic Daily News reported Tuesday that the Mac maker is scheduled to "launch a new iMac all-in-one PC in the first quarter of next year, and the company's sole manufacturing partner, Quanta Computer, is gearing up to supply monthly shipments of around 800,000 units during the first quarter of 2009."

The paper added that the new models will begin making their way stateside in January. Updates to the iMac line are believed to be over due, having originally been slated for a release late this year but delayed last minute for unknown reasons.

Recent evidence discovered within builds of Mac OS X 10.5.5 confirms the new models, like upcoming Mac minis, will employ chipsets from the same NVIDIA MCP79 platform found at the heart of Apple's most recent notebook refresh that included the MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

A report published last month by Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes claimed the company has been waiting on a new family of quad-core chips from Intel that are designed for small form-factor PCs like the Mac mini and all-in-one systems like the iMac.

The 65W low-power chips were said to arrive in mid-January at clock speeds between 2.33GHz and 2.8GHz, though DigiTimes did not specify whether the parts were actually destined for Mac mini and iMac refreshes.
post #2 of 96
I'd like to see some leaked photos!
post #3 of 96
Oh please let quad-core be the base (or only) config for both minis and imacs. OpenCL + quadcore +Nvidia chips + Mac OS X 10.6 = a system I can unreservedly recommend to anyone.
post #4 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post

Oh please let quad-core be the base (or only) config for both minis and imacs. OpenCL + quadcore +Nvidia chips + Mac OS X 10.6 = a system I can unreservedly recommend to anyone.

Quad core as an option would be cool enough for me.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #5 of 96
Bracing myself for the obligatory firewire removal discussion.
post #6 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Bracing myself for the obligatory firewire removal discussion.

Of course they won't have firewire. What do you think this is, circa pre-2008?
post #7 of 96
Fantastic! My wait of 2 years is finally over. Many of us have been patiently waiting for a new generation. Schiller is the iMac guy, I take.
post #8 of 96
65W low-power chips? Really? THAT IS TOO MUCH, MUCH, MUCH POWER!!!
post #9 of 96
I know this is going to sound ironic, but if Snow Leopard is 64-bit only, then I'm going to buy one of these. I currently have a Rev A Intel iMac, that is, 32-bit Core Duo.

If the only way for me to get Snow Leopard is to upgrade my hardware, then I'll have to do so.
post #10 of 96
Apple has been working on making their products more green. An all in one PC that can't be upgraded seems to go against that.

I'd like to see the iMac retired as we know it.

I'd like to see the new iMac become an
Apple monitor with speakers and built-in dock for Mac Minis.

Monitor technology changes very slowly and all-in-one computers seem wasteful.

I think this will drive up demand for mac Minis.
post #11 of 96
I know it's highly unlikely, but I'd love to see the iMac go back to all white...or least silver and white.
That black frame still hasn't grown on me over time.
post #12 of 96
On January 29, 2008, my Blue & White G3, version A will be 10 years old. I hope Apple will throw me a bone and release the 17" version of the Mac Book Pro. I got cash and I am willing to part with the $3500 to stimulate the economy...
post #13 of 96
Quadd core and a much, much faster GPU are all very exciting.

I also hope for a serious bump in drive capacity. 1.5 gigs please, or even better, give us the option for two internal drives. That would be awesome.
post #14 of 96
Just my luck, my lemon of a glossy iMac just got replaced with an identical model.

A bit later and I might have got something better for my pains.

BWhaler

I think you mean 1.5 TB Hard Drive.

Having seen the inside of the 24" iMac, there is no room for a second hard drive even though that would be a good idea with TimeMachine.

Due to that silly curvature of the back to make it "look" slim, there just isn't any room.

Of course They could go back to the look of the older white iMacs which would also stop the over heating of the current model. It would make the insides easier to access as well. Currently you have to remove the glass, the screen and everything behind it to get at the guts of the machine.

BTW To put an end to all the nonsense that was talked about the glossy screen being rectified by a simple removal of the glass. The screen underneath the glass is glossy also.

Satchmo

We are as of one mind re the design. The white model was one of the best looking models Apple has ever produced. I have two 24" models and they are fantastic. The look and magnetic remote, and especially the matte screens.

The aluminium glossy models are dead set ugly. The black back and huge black logo are heavy and unpleasant and a total mismatch with the white mouse. Speaking of which, that needs a complete redesign the scroll button is perpetually jamming and is a functional dud, as nearly every Apple mouse has been.
post #15 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

65W low-power chips? Really? THAT IS TOO MUCH, MUCH, MUCH POWER!!!

Not for a system that's constantly plugged into the wall.
post #16 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Of course they won't have firewire. What do you think this is, circa pre-2008?

My USB 2 has been significantly underperforming my Firewire 400. What's up with THAT?
post #17 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Just my luck, my lemon of a glossy iMac just got replaced with an identical model.

A bit later and I might have got something better for my pains.

BWhaler

I think you mean 1.5 TB Hard Drive.

Having seen the inside of the 24" iMac, there is no room for a second hard drive even though that would be a good idea with TimeMachine.

Due to that silly curvature of the back to make it "look" slim, there just isn't any room.

Of course They could go back to the look of the older white iMacs which would also stop the over heating of the current model. It would make the insides easier to access as well. Currently you have to remove the glass, the screen and everything behind it to get at the guts of the machine.

BTW To put an end to all the nonsense that was talked about the glossy screen being rectified by a simple removal of the glass. The screen underneath the glass is glossy also.

Satchmo

We are as of one mind re the design. The white model was one of the best looking models Apple has ever produced. I have two 24" models and they are fantastic. The look and magnetic remote, and especially the matte screens.

The aluminium glossy models are dead set ugly. The black back and huge black logo are heavy and unpleasant and a total mismatch with the white mouse. Speaking of which, that needs a complete redesign the scroll button is perpetually jamming and is a functional dud, as nearly every Apple mouse has been.

Sorry you bought the fugly glossy racoon. I agree 100% on your assessment of the white.
post #18 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

Apple has been working on making their products more green. An all in one PC that can't be upgraded seems to go against that.

I'd like to see the iMac retired as we know it.

I'd like to see the new iMac become an
Apple monitor with speakers and built-in dock for Mac Minis.

Monitor technology changes very slowly and all-in-one computers seem wasteful.

I think this will drive up demand for mac Minis.

What does upgrading a computer have to do with being green? The MacBook/Pro is not upgradable it is one of the greenest computers out there today. The Mac Mini is a crippled computer, and Apple and consumers are not going to rely on that piece of shit as a primary desktop Mac.

All-in-one computers are not wasteful in any way. My iMac G5 is far more powerful than my "upgradable" Power Mac G3 and it is extremely quiet too. I still use my all-in-one iMac G4 (2003) and it works great running Leopard. Also, the Mac Mini is not upgradable either, so your argument is pointless.
post #19 of 96
Waiting to replace 'logic board blown' iMac g5 with something new.

After the £550 repair bill or replace for this one though i'm tempted to go headless and HDTV instead of iMac. I was tempted by a PC, but as I've been Apple since 1989 it just feels wrong (alhough possibly cheaper for just surfing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


All-in-one computers are not wasteful in any way. My iMac G5 is far more powerful than my "upgradable" Power Mac G3 and it is extremely quiet too. I still use my all-in-one iMac G4 (2003) and it works great running Leopard. Also, the Mac Mini is not upgradable either, so your argument is pointless.

My all in one is wasteful because I have a perfectly good LCD and case and a dead logic board that I can't replace the one blown part on. With either a mini (buy a new mini) or a tower (replace blown part) i'd be consuming less resources. My only 'green' option is to sell the dead machine for parts once I transfer the data to my new machine (it boots but doesn't process video signals - I can even upload cds to my ipod but with nothing on the screen).
post #20 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

65W low-power chips? Really? THAT IS TOO MUCH, MUCH, MUCH POWER!!!

Stop thinking your iMac or Workstation is a MacBook AIR and soon you're realize that a 65W core is here to compete with the upcoming AMD chips. The 65W power is inline with the E8400, E8500 and E8600 CPUs.

The Quad Core2 Extreme:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115044

Thermal Power\t150W

Back to reality.
post #21 of 96
I can't personally stand the White Design'ed Systems. The new aluminum iMacs aren't high on my list, but the plastic white wreaks of POS in structural design.
post #22 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nli10 View Post

Waiting to replace 'logic board blown' iMac g5 with something new.

After the £550 repair bill or replace for this one though i'm tempted to go headless and HDTV instead of iMac. I was tempted by a PC, but as I've been Apple since 1989 it just feels wrong (alhough possibly cheaper for just surfing).

My all in one is wasteful because I have a perfectly good LCD and case and a dead logic board that I can't replace the one blown part on. With either a mini (buy a new mini) or a tower (replace blown part) i'd be consuming less resources. My only 'green' option is to sell the dead machine for parts once I transfer the data to my new machine (it boots but doesn't process video signals - I can even upload cds to my ipod but with nothing on the screen).

You know you can get those repaired. My mother in law just had her logic board replaced, free of charge by Apple, for the second time, just last week. Even though the program ended last month, she asked and they said "sure"!

She was so happy, she sold the newly repaired one and bought a brand new one. Atta boy Apple!
.racecar.
Reply
.racecar.
Reply
post #23 of 96
...no discussion of LED displays? The 24" Cinema is happening... will the iMac have LED? I've had my LED MacBook Pro for 18 months and it's still astonishing... bright as the day I bought it. Fading CCFL screens seem archaic now...
post #24 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I know it's highly unlikely, but I'd love to see the iMac go back to all white...or least silver and white.
That black frame still hasn't grown on me over time.

I see this comment a lot. I have owned a 20" G5 (still have it in a spare bedroom), 24" White and now the Aluminum 24" iMac. I have found that the white reflects a lot of light back at my eyes while using the white models. I like the silver and black better for my eye's.
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #25 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Just my luck, ... lemon ... I might have ... pains.

I can tell you are not exactly a "glass half full kind of person eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Of course They could go back to the look of the older white iMacs which would also stop the over heating of the current model. ...

This is just totally wrong.

I use and service these machines all day long and out of the hundred or so I have worked on none have ever had an "overheating problem." There are also no widespread reports of any heating problem other than the simple firmware issue in the first rev which only affected a minority of users and was quickly fixed anyway.

The problem here is that you are talking in this post about your limited personal experience with just a few (or two) machines and yet you state things as if they were well-known facts that everyone would agree with and that everyone has experienced. That aren't even in question as a matter of fact.

Try using "IMO" or "I think" before pretty much every sentence you write. There is a big difference between what you feel about something and what the facts are, and you need to differentiate between them if you expect anyone to take you seriously.

IMO (see how that works?), the white iMac was the most seriously *ugly* computer Apple ever made. You can't really argue because, you know it's just my opinion.

Please state your opinions the same way (as opinions not facts) next time. Tx.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #26 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I can't personally stand the White Design'ed Systems.

Why is there an apostrophe randomly in the middle of this word?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #27 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Stop thinking your iMac or Workstation is a MacBook AIR and soon you're realize that a 65W core is here to compete with the upcoming AMD chips. The 65W power is inline with the E8400, E8500 and E8600 CPUs.

The Quad Core2 Extreme:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115044

Thermal Power\t150W

Back to reality.

How does that compare to current iMac and Mac mini? As far as I know:

TDP of Mac mini: 35W (November 2008)
TDP of iMac 55W (November 2008)

So, it could be used on an iMac but not on the Mac mini. I want a BEDROOM QUIET headless Mac, but the current Mac Pro is too noisy. Unless of course they make a Mac miniTOWER.
post #28 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I can't personally stand the White Design'ed Systems. The new aluminum iMacs aren't high on my list, but the plastic white wreaks of POS in structural design.

I agree.
The white models were giant iPods. (And, did their jobs well, if, you know what their Jobs were) Hah!

But, wait.
Wasn't there a patent, filed a few years back, whereby wee'd (weed?) (internet grammer cop is gonna pull me over!) be able to control the colors of the "computer"? That's a big environment,
But,
I'd think that Apple is gonna have a way, for us to change that "Eyeglasses" look of the new models, with a preference panel. Don't like Black? Choose the ever irritating color, Yellow!
Or, how about just bringing up the "color" option, using the crayons, or the wheel, whatever, and dial in your own shade (or, even Pattern) for the glass rim? Let it change occasionally, just like your desktop picture How about if it glowed, while going to sleep? Sound OK?

The aluminum is so ultra cool.
I don't understand why more people don't get it?
It's probably because most aren't used to working with metals, (Or, maybe working with any "Material" in the real world for that matter.) Aluminum is an awesome choice of MATERIAL, shy of Titanium,for strength and cooling ability alone. (Did you ever need to choose a "Material" for a job? Have fun! I do.

The way these computers are "Machined" is truly amazing. Start with a roughly shaped "Block of Aluminum".
Ever look at the top of an Alum iMac, at the microphone, that'd been laser drilled? Incredible, watch Dell try to do that!
The iSight hidden in the "eyeglass" frame?

This is almost NASA stuff when I show it to my Winduhs using friends. (Oh, you Won't find this kind of High Tech work in a Space Shuttle, they're 70's crap).
They cannot buy Anything close to this kind of quality. (winduhs peeple).

When they use my iMac, I can't get them away from it.
That tells me all I need to know.
Says alot.
post #29 of 96
It would be kind of cool if Apple could innovate in the area of modularity. We all love how accessible the innards of the MacPro are and how easy it is to upgrade various components. The iMac was heading that way when you could access the guts without removing the screen.

If it's about form and aesthetics, I'm sure there are some innovative latching mechanisms that are only minimally destructive to the fine, sculpted lines that Steve requires. If it were a choice between .125" thinner or full access to the inside, I'd prefer the latter.

This goes to the 'waste' factor as well. It would be a huge step forward to be able to replace major parts of the iMac.

Nevertheless, the iMac is the only Mac I ever buy and I've never regretted a single purchase. We had some issues with the G5 Lava models but Apple took care of us every time. The new intel iMacs are incredibly powerful and a great value. Reselling them is easy and the net cost is minimal. There is room for improvement, but the iMac is about as close to perfection as I've seen Apple come.
post #30 of 96
THE LED Screens rock. I can't live without one, literally.
post #31 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

I agree.
The aluminum is so ultra cool.
I don't understand why more people don't get it?
It's probably because most aren't used to working with metals, (Or, maybe working with any "Material" in the real world for that matter.) Aluminum is an awesome choice of MATERIAL, shy of Titanium,for strength and cooling ability alone. (Did you ever need to choose a "Material" for a job? Have fun! I do.

It's not the aluminum or even the glossy screen that I dislike. Brushed aluminum makes up the stand of all iMacs.

But IMO, the black frame throws everything off. It's a new colour scheme that Apple has pushed across it's entire line, which is why I won't buy the new MacBook/Pros either. I love the unibody and build quality, but again, I can't get past the black border.
post #32 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOutlaw View Post

I agree.
The white models were giant iPods. (And, did their jobs well, if, you know what their Jobs were) Hah!

But, wait.
Wasn't there a patent, filed a few years back, whereby wee'd (weed?) (internet grammer cop is gonna pull me over!) be able to control the colors of the "computer"? That's a big environment,
But,
I'd think that Apple is gonna have a way, for us to change that "Eyeglasses" look of the new models, with a preference panel. Don't like Black? Choose the ever irritating color, Yellow!
Or, how about just bringing up the "color" option, using the crayons, or the wheel, whatever, and dial in your own shade (or, even Pattern) for the glass rim? Let it change occasionally, just like your desktop picture How about if it glowed, while going to sleep? Sound OK?

The aluminum is so ultra cool.
I don't understand why more people don't get it?
It's probably because most aren't used to working with metals, (Or, maybe working with any "Material" in the real world for that matter.) Aluminum is an awesome choice of MATERIAL, shy of Titanium,for strength and cooling ability alone. (Did you ever need to choose a "Material" for a job? Have fun! I do.

The way these computers are "Machined" is truly amazing. Start with a roughly shaped "Block of Aluminum".
Ever look at the top of an Alum iMac, at the microphone, that'd been laser drilled? Incredible, watch Dell try to do that!
The iSight hidden in the "eyeglass" frame?

This is almost NASA stuff when I show it to my Winduhs using friends. (Oh, you Won't find this kind of High Tech work in a Space Shuttle, they're 70's crap).
They cannot buy Anything close to this kind of quality. (winduhs peeple).

When they use my iMac, I can't get them away from it.
That tells me all I need to know.
Says alot.

Now only if they put all that effort into the computer it be a different ball game... EACH iMac I have gone through, has had the famous gradient issue - nothing has been done since 2005! I don't care how thin or how hot the thing looks, I want an LCD that doesn't have gradient issues. Yellowish in the center of the display with light white blue sides... The left side is always brighter than the right side... Thanks to the horrible backlighting...

I am returning my iMac and I will give it another try in January otherwise back to Windows. I rather spend 700$ on a WIN PC then 2300$ with gradient displays... Come on Apple... You charge a premium. I expect BMWs to be less problematic than Chevy's. Period.
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #33 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

IMO (see how that works?), the white iMac was the most seriously *ugly* computer Apple ever made. You can't really argue because, you know it's just my opinion.

Please state your opinions the same way (as opinions not facts) next time. Tx.

Why? He is stating fact .
It (racoon-faced iMac) is frkn FUGLY.
post #34 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I can't personally stand the White Design'ed Systems. The new aluminum iMacs aren't high on my list, but the plastic white wreaks of POS in structural design.

AT least the White iMac was an ORIGINAL design- not a "Green" copy.
post #35 of 96
i hope the 17-inch mac book pro doesnt cost more than 2800$..........
post #36 of 96
(started writing this before mab posted the above comment so this has nothing to do with mab's comment)

Why do some people have to criticize everything? If they don't like it, it is horrible and anybody who buys it has problems.

If the iMac were so horribly ugly, nobody would buy it. That it is selling proves that it is not ugly in many people's opinion. So, in SOME PEOPLE'S opinion it is ugly, in others', it is not. It's just that those who don't like it (or anything else for that matter) feel that they have to vocalize their discontent louder than an F-14 at take-off at every opportunity.

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #37 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

(started writing this before mab posted the above comment so this has nothing to do with mab's comment)

Why do some people have to criticize everything? If they don't like it, it is horrible and anybody who buys it has problems.

If the iMac were so horribly ugly, nobody would buy it. That it is selling proves that it is not ugly in many people's opinion. So, in SOME PEOPLE'S opinion it is ugly, in others', it is not. It's just that those who don't like it (or anything else for that matter) feel that they have to vocalize their discontent louder than an F-14 at take-off at every opportunity.

You would vocalize it too , if you'd been waiting 2 years for a new iMac. And SOME PEOPLE are MANY PEOPLE. And just because it's selling to SOME PEOPLE does not mean anything. Afterall SOME PEOPLE voted for W twice into office- does that make that a good choice? I never said anyone who bought it has problems. I'm just glad it's being replaced. That's all.
post #38 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I am returning my iMac and I will give it another try in January otherwise back to Windows. I rather spend 700$ on a WIN PC then 2300$ with gradient displays... Come on Apple... You charge a premium. I expect BMWs to be less problematic than Chevy's. Period.

Why not a MINI? Then you can choose your own monitor.

A BMW to be less problematic than a Chevy? Well I know you don't own a BMW because that's just funny.
post #39 of 96
I bought the glossy iMac and promptly sent it back. Fabulous technology inside compared to my White iMac G5 20-inch 2.0Ghz PPC. Which I will keep until it packs up altogether and says "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish!"
post #40 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I know this is going to sound ironic, but if Snow Leopard is 64-bit only, then I'm going to buy one of these. I currently have a Rev A Intel iMac, that is, 32-bit Core Duo.

If the only way for me to get Snow Leopard is to upgrade my hardware, then I'll have to do so.

That's a bigger question - will they release new imacs just a few months before Snow leopard, making you update your brand new imac right after you get it? (and of course, pay for the new OS)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper