or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper - Page 2

post #41 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab View Post

i hope the 17-inch mac book pro doesnt cost more than 2800$..........

Whatever price Apple puts on it, the dollar symbol will be in front of the number.
post #42 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

That's a bigger question - will they release new imacs just a few months before Snow leopard, making you update your brand new imac right after you get it? (and of course, pay for the new OS)

I'm sure by then, we'll know the timetable for sure.

This means that if they release the new iMac and then announce an April release date for Snow Leopard, I would only need to wait a few months.
post #43 of 96
Is anybody else worried that Apple are using the same chipset platform that has given them problems in the MacBook Pro?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
Reply
post #44 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I can tell you are not exactly a "glass half full kind of person eh?

This is just totally wrong.

I use and service these machines all day long and out of the hundred or so I have worked on none have ever had an "overheating problem." There are also no widespread reports of any heating problem other than the simple firmware issue in the first rev which only affected a minority of users and was quickly fixed anyway.

The problem here is that you are talking in this post about your limited personal experience with just a few (or two) machines and yet you state things as if they were well-known facts that everyone would agree with and that everyone has experienced. That aren't even in question as a matter of fact.

Try using "IMO" or "I think" before pretty much every sentence you write. There is a big difference between what you feel about something and what the facts are, and you need to differentiate between them if you expect anyone to take you seriously.

IMO (see how that works?), the white iMac was the most seriously *ugly* computer Apple ever made. You can't really argue because, you know it's just my opinion.

Please state your opinions the same way (as opinions not facts) next time. Tx.

When you go into a swank bar, pay top dollar for a beer and it comes up halfway up the glass, is it half full or half empty?

I got an on-site for the Glossy iMac. The tech knew exactly what I was describing when I told him of my networking and spontaneous power-down problems. He does 2-3 of them a week and we are not a large city (300k pop).

btw The power supply was not rectified after the repair. Apple noted it as a"known" problem. I immediately rang AppleCare after it again spontaneously powered down and told them IMO it was a lemon, I had grown in, the 6 months I had it, to loath and despise looking at it. I then demanded a replacement unit. I did not get much of an argument from Apple and have now got a new unit. so far so good (3 days).

Migrating from a non-present computer using an archived system, proved a good one and a half days of headache, which I am still fixing.

There are NO problems with these machines I gather IYHO, so please enclose IMOs with your wild statements based on limited experience.
post #45 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Is anybody else worried that Apple are using the same chipset platform that has given them problems in the MacBook Pro?

Yes...
post #46 of 96
This whole thread shows why Apple probably doesn't put much stock in the so called loyal Mac base here at AI. Every time it's leak, complain, whine, and think you know better. Go back to white plastic... give me a break. Raccoon screen... petty.

Maybe it's because Apple makes the best computers in the industry, AI brats don't have anything REAL to complain about. IMO
post #47 of 96
I guess LED backlit displays are also going to be a standard feature in all the new Mac models Quad core CPU with LED Display and a decent enough graphics card, now this makes me want to buy the new iMac. I would be upgrading from PowerMac G5 1.6 ghz
post #48 of 96
Then this should be a totally Hardware Show because they better be releasing New Mac Pros with New video cards that can accommodate the New Monitors and At least have BluRay as an add on option! If they don't have that ANY THING else is BOGUS And is being release without todays or Yesterdays technology. Apple is way behind and they have SERIOUS catching up to do. Imagining that you can't even Burn or Author a BluRay DVD on the machine that runs Final Cut Pro, or let alone view one.. Absolutely PATHETIC and EXCUSE-LESS.

They just released new iMacs and Updated their portable line, MacMini and MacPro should be next along with an entire new line of Monitors. AT least this new Display Port can validate and Play HDMI Compliant Video so that's a small step in the right direction, but incredibly late.

The one thing I do have to say about Apple is when the finally start supporting something, they at least get it right even though they are 2 years late!
post #49 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

That's a bigger question - will they release new imacs just a few months before Snow leopard, making you update your brand new imac right after you get it? (and of course, pay for the new OS)

Whoever said that Snow Leopard will be 64 bit only?
post #50 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Why is there an apostrophe randomly in the middle of this word?

My being too fast on the keys. What I personally find appauling is your lack of substance in this thread. Care to elaborate more on when or where to throw in a semicolon, colon, an apostrophe, or are those the high marks of your grammatical expertise?
post #51 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by zunx View Post

How does that compare to current iMac and Mac mini? As far as I know:

TDP of Mac mini: 35W (November 2008)
TDP of iMac 55W (November 2008)

So, it could be used on an iMac but not on the Mac mini. I want a BEDROOM QUIET headless Mac, but the current Mac Pro is too noisy. Unless of course they make a Mac miniTOWER.

That's a casing design issue and choice of fans to transmit convective heat transfer more reasonably.

In short, the case will have to gain in height to allow for a 120mm cross flow fan to displace the heat already being displaced by the fins of the heat sink.

If they attempt to put in a dedicated PCI Express GPU that whisper quiet system will have to grow in size to allow for the volume of air flow displacing the increased heat loss, without excessive noise.

The fans on the Nvidia systems make noise if they are > 1800 rpms, period.
post #52 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

This whole thread shows why Apple probably doesn't put much stock in the so called loyal Mac base here at AI. Every time it's leak, complain, whine, and think you know better. Go back to white plastic... give me a break. Raccoon screen... petty.

Maybe it's because Apple makes the best computers in the industry, AI brats don't have anything REAL to complain about. IMO

Loyal and extremely forbearing.

I have 7 Macs right now, heaven knows how many I have bought in my lifetime. It is not unreasonable to hold up Apple to its own professed quality claims.

Of course there are those who reflexively consider any criticism as sacrilege.
post #53 of 96
You know, occasionally, there are models of whatever gadget or appliance or car etc., which are just about perfect. That is what I'm hoping for from the new iMac. I want to buy a 24" - here are my dreams:

1)LED screen with non-glossy option - without major problems with color, pixels, white spots, fading, burns etc.
2)New chipset that's not going to collapse with a major flaw
3)Easy access to a swappable hard drive and memory

Just these three would be enough for me. Somehow I have a weird feeling that none of my wishes will come true - and yet it seems I ask for so little!
post #54 of 96
[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1353626]A new-generation of NVIDIA-based iMacs are due to begin shipping out of China sometime next month, according to a new report out of the Far East.

Citing sources within Apple's supply chain, the Chinese-language Economic Daily News reported Tuesday that the Mac maker is scheduled to "launch a new iMac all-in-one PC in the first quarter of next year, and the company's sole manufacturing partner, Quanta Computer, is gearing up to supply monthly shipments of around 800,000 units during the first quarter of 2009."

The paper added that the new models will begin making their way stateside in January. Updates to the iMac line are believed to be over due, having originally been slated for a release late this year but delayed last minute for unknown reasons.

Recent evidence discovered within builds of Mac OS X 10.5.5 confirms the new models, like upcoming Mac minis, will employ chipsets from the same NVIDIA MCP79 platform found at the heart of Apple's most recent notebook refresh that included the MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

A report published last month by Taiwanese rumor site DigiTimes claimed the company has been waiting on a new family of quad-core chips from Intel that are designed for small form-factor PCs like the Mac mini and all-in-one systems like the iMac.

The 65W low-power chips were said to arrive in mid-January at clock speeds between 2.33GHz and 2.8GHz, though DigiTimes did not specify whether the parts were actually destined for Mac mini and iMac refreshes. [/QUOT]

Hope matte screen is an option again on these new imacs.Lets make them more user friendly, not viewer friendly.If i want to look at myself, i will just look in the mirror.I hate reflections!!!! Lets hope ram is upgradable to 8g, but i know thats pushin it, but will settle for 6. I heard snow leopard has smaller footprint, which is great, so it won't take up so much space. Well, the wait is almost over and we will all find out !!!!
post #55 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcglinn View Post

Why not a MINI? Then you can choose your own monitor.

A BMW to be less problematic than a Chevy? Well I know you don't own a BMW because that's just funny.

Actually I own a Chevy and no problems. Friends have a BMW many problems.
I got an iMac and many problems. Use to own Win PCs no problems...

See the irony?

The more expensive stuff is overpriced and lesser of quality. I swear I thought buying more expensive would be better... it ain't so!

On a side note, the iMac is pride $2300 CDN - the hardware is dated and so I expect for that price top notch stuff or extremely high end hardware - none of the two.

Apple uses LG displays in the current iMacs... They have nothing but gradient issues - GO APPLE!
The backlighting is another joke... Apple has a hot mess on its hand. I gladly take an inch thicker computer and higher end ingredients and pay the premium price...

I guess I am paying $2300 for the OS! That is the only thing flawless on my iMac - minus Time Machine Backup errors - on several different drives... two different iMacs!

Go figure?
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
Reply
post #56 of 96
I'd like to see these using the new Intel Core i7 processors.
post #57 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

I'd like to see some leaked photos!

Why would that matter? The update probably will be a lot like the Air update - just change the board and video output socket. And maybe update to LED backlighting. Leaked photos of updated boards really won't get a lot of people excited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Bracing myself for the obligatory firewire removal discussion.

Probably would have been best to not even bring it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loungepop View Post

...no discussion of LED displays? The 24" Cinema is happening... will the iMac have LED? I've had my LED MacBook Pro for 18 months and it's still astonishing... bright as the day I bought it. Fading CCFL screens seem archaic now...

First, I would expect that an iMac update would go to LED backlights.

Do people really have problems with CCFLs fading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Pulver View Post

Why is there an apostrophe randomly in the middle of this word?

Why did you decide you needed to post that piece of off-topic sniping? We don't need tactless grammar cops, it's gone too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

What does upgrading a computer have to do with being green? The MacBook/Pro is not upgradable it is one of the greenest computers out there today. The Mac Mini is a crippled computer, and Apple and consumers are not going to rely on that piece of shit as a primary desktop Mac.

I don't see the problem, I used a mini as my primary Mac. Calling it a piece of shit really doesn't mean it is, it's quite a solid machine. I think it would do fine for most people.
post #58 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by webraider View Post

Then this should be a totally Hardware Show because they better be releasing New Mac Pros with New video cards that can accommodate the New Monitors and At least have BluRay as an add on option! If they don't have that ANY THING else is BOGUS And is being release without todays or Yesterdays technology. Apple is way behind and they have SERIOUS catching up to do. Imagining that you can't even Burn or Author a BluRay DVD on the machine that runs Final Cut Pro, or let alone view one.. Absolutely PATHETIC and EXCUSE-LESS.

They just released new iMacs and Updated their portable line, MacMini and MacPro should be next along with an entire new line of Monitors. AT least this new Display Port can validate and Play HDMI Compliant Video so that's a small step in the right direction, but incredibly late.

The one thing I do have to say about Apple is when the finally start supporting something, they at least get it right even though they are 2 years late!

Apple is a member of the Blu-Ray Disc Association. The reason it hasn't yet adopted the technology is likely a result of Blu-Ray's ever declining sales and the fact that it runs a competing download service in iTunes (same reason Microsoft hasn't released a Blu-Ray player for the Xbox).

As to the technology, the iMacs are based on mobile platforms and have the most recent in that area per their release. This is why they're now moving to quad-core: Intel is only now releasing power efficient quad-core mobile processors. The same is true for the Mac Pros in terms of the server based processors it uses. More than likely Apple will adopt Intel's Core i7 processors for the Pro's next release as it offers true quad core performance and it will soon offer the same with eight cores on a chip (meaning we'll likely see a 16-core Mac Pro in 2010).

Everything considered, we're almost assuredly going to see LED backlighting in all but the largest Cinema Display (the 30" is simply too costly at current rates) and throughout the entire iMac line. I seriously, doubt, though, that the highest end iMac will adopt the exact same Nvidia chips as the rest. While a 9400 or 9600 card would be a definite upgrade over the current ATI HD 2400 and 2600 cards used in the lower end models, they would be a serious downgrade from the 8800GS used in the current high end model (which is why I suspect it will move to atleast a 9800 card).

The only product line Apple is truly behind on is the Mac Mini, which doesn't surprise me given it's primarily sold to businesses who find its current specs more than adequate. That said, given the state of the economy, I do expect Apple will begin to push it as a consumer item more pronouncedly. I'm expecting the 2.0GHz and 2.4GHz Core 2 Duos and the Nvidia 9400m chips used in the MacBook line to filter into the new models. The new Mini DisplayPort will obviously be making an appearance and the Firewire 400 port will be gone, so that begs the question of what will fill the space gained from removing that and the DVI port preceding the new MDP. My guess is a couple more USB ports and possibly a TV tuner. Steve Jobs clearly has no love for the Apple TV, so it wouldn't surprise me were he to reposition the Mini as a media center computer.

The final changes will be in the upgrade to a Wireless-N Airport card, a larger allotment of DDR 3 SDRAM, & hard drives in-line with the current MacBooks (i.e. up to 320GB). I expect the price points of the two current models to stay mostly unchanged.

All of that said, I think your criticisms are both false and ridiculous. You're arguing based off of inaccurate perception of technology and an even more inaccurate sense reasoning as to why some of your desires haven't been fulfilled.
post #59 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

Apple is a member of the Blu-Ray Disc Association. The reason it hasn't yet adopted the technology is likely a result of Blu-Ray's ever declining sales and the fact that it runs a competing download service in iTunes (same reason Microsoft hasn't released a Blu-Ray player for the Xbox).

I think the main reason people think BD sales are declining are either a false perception or certain articles that used a drop from two consecutive weeks and painted it as a long term trend. Week to week sales vary a lot like the stock market. In the case of BD, is largely because strong sales happen on weeks when strong titles are released, weak sales when weak titles are released. When using two consecutive weeks is your way to "prove" your decline, you pick a week where something like Ironman is released (had record BD sales for the time), then the following week is likely to pale in comparison.
post #60 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

Apple is a member of the Blu-Ray Disc Association. The reason it hasn't yet adopted the technology is likely a result of Blu-Ray's ever declining sales and the fact that it runs a competing download service in iTunes (same reason Microsoft hasn't released a Blu-Ray player for the Xbox).

As to the technology, the iMacs are based on mobile platforms and have the most recent in that area per their release. This is why they're now moving to quad-core: Intel is only now releasing power efficient quad-core mobile processors. The same is true for the Mac Pros in terms of the server based processors it uses. More than likely Apple will adopt Intel's Core i7 processors for the Pro's next release as it offers true quad core performance and it will soon offer the same with eight cores on a chip (meaning we'll likely see a 16-core Mac Pro in 2010).

Everything considered, we're almost assuredly going to see LED backlighting in all but the largest Cinema Display (the 30" is simply too costly at current rates) and throughout the entire iMac line. I seriously, doubt, though, that the highest end iMac will adopt the exact same Nvidia chips as the rest. While a 9400 or 9600 card would be a definite upgrade over the current ATI HD 2400 and 2600 cards used in the lower end models, they would be a serious downgrade from the 8800GS used in the current high end model (which is why I suspect it will move to atleast a 9800 card).

The only product line Apple is truly behind on is the Mac Mini, which doesn't surprise me given it's primarily sold to businesses who find its current specs more than adequate. That said, given the state of the economy, I do expect Apple will begin to push it as a consumer item more pronouncedly. I'm expecting the 2.0GHz and 2.4GHz Core 2 Duos and the Nvidia 9400m chips used in the MacBook line to filter into the new models. The new Mini DisplayPort will obviously be making an appearance and the Firewire 400 port will be gone, so that begs the question of what will fill the space gained from removing that and the DVI port preceding the new MDP. My guess is a couple more USB ports and possibly a TV tuner. Steve Jobs clearly has no love for the Apple TV, so it wouldn't surprise me were he to reposition the Mini as a media center computer.
.

The fire wire backlash is likely to big for apple to pull that again maybe fire wire 800. Also a TV tuner will need a cable card / OCAP card slot.
post #61 of 96
The Quad-Core will only be for the highest-end 24", the entry, mid 20" and entry 24" would only be dual core. The main line up would hopefully be

20" entry - Dualcore, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 9600GT 256MB
20" better - Dualcore, 2GB RAM, with Nvidia 9600GT 512MB
24" entry - Dualcore, 4GB RAM, with Nvidia 9600GT 512MB
24" best - Quadcore, 4GB RAM, with Nvidia 9800GT 512MB/1GB(?)VRAM

As for images, here's a blatant repost from another thread The LED 20" iMac Glass-Aluminium unibody. Featuring reduced "chin" but still distinguishable from the 24" LED Cinema Display.





post #62 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post

Oh please let quad-core be the base (or only) config for both minis and imacs. OpenCL + quadcore +Nvidia chips + Mac OS X 10.6 = a system I can unreservedly recommend to anyone.

I don't think it's really necessary for everyone to have quad core just yet. Given the cost of those chips in medium and low power versions, I doubt you're going to see them in the mini for a while, and I would only expect quad core to be in the very top iMac models in the next update.
post #63 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

Apple is a member of the Blu-Ray Disc Association. The reason it hasn't yet adopted the technology is likely a result of Blu-Ray's ever declining sales and the fact that it runs a competing download service in iTunes (same reason Microsoft hasn't released a Blu-Ray player for the Xbox).

BluRay is certainly a hard sell and likely will decline in sale or stay stagnent for the next couple of years it is simply a poor choice.

As to Apple I think they would like to have BluRay drives in their machines. The problem is that bag of hurt. I'm still thinking that their goal is a hardware approach that doesn't expose the decoded video stream to user programmable processors.
Quote:
As to the technology, the iMacs are based on mobile platforms and have the most recent in that area per their release. This is why they're now moving to quad-core: Intel is only now releasing power efficient quad-core mobile processors.

True but it doesn't have to stay that way.
Quote:
The same is true for the Mac Pros in terms of the server based processors it uses. More than likely Apple will adopt Intel's Core i7 processors for the Pro's next release as it offers true quad core performance and it will soon offer the same with eight cores on a chip (meaning we'll likely see a 16-core Mac Pro in 2010).

Everything considered, we're almost assuredly going to see LED backlighting in all but the largest Cinema Display (the 30" is simply too costly at current rates) and throughout the entire iMac line.

I don't think pricing is as big a problem for Apple as you may think. They are very focused on being green right now. Besides why stop at 30 inches?
Quote:
I seriously, doubt, though, that the highest end iMac will adopt the exact same Nvidia chips as the rest. While a 9400 or 9600 card would be a definite upgrade over the current ATI HD 2400 and 2600 cards used in the lower end models, they would be a serious downgrade from the 8800GS used in the current high end model (which is why I suspect it will move to atleast a 9800 card).

The bigger the iMac the more flexibility with respect to installed hardware. The one thing I don't buy though is arguing for a hot video card and then dismissing an i7 processor. A 17 inch iMac would certainly have issues if made but a 30 inch iMac ought to have room for a desktop processor and a couple of disk drives.

In any event the largest iMac ought to have two GPUs! Seriously, with the advent of Snow Leopard and OpenCL the high end iMac really needs to be able support GPGPU at an advance level. Yeah a lot of power but I really see Apple needing an excellent OpenCL performer that is a desktop.
Quote:
The only product line Apple is truly behind on is the Mac Mini, which doesn't surprise me given it's primarily sold to businesses who find its current specs more than adequate. That said, given the state of the economy, I do expect Apple will begin to push it as a consumer item more pronouncedly.

Corporations do love their standardized PCs. I do think though that Minis appeal is broader than implied. The problem is of course is that business percieves that a stable platform is a good thing but the consumer thinks the platform is always outdated. It will be interesting to see what comes up with for Minis replacement.
Quote:
I'm expecting the 2.0GHz and 2.4GHz Core 2 Duos and the Nvidia 9400m chips used in the MacBook line to filter into the new models. The new Mini DisplayPort will obviously be making an appearance and the Firewire 400 port will be gone, so that begs the question of what will fill the space gained from removing that and the DVI port preceding the new MDP.

I suspect that most of the above is correct except for the FireWire part. The problem is that a very large number of those corporate users use that Firewire port. It would have a far bigger impact on sales then what the ports deletion on Mac Book did. Apple would be more likely to update the port to faster speeds.
Quote:
My guess is a couple more USB ports and possibly a TV tuner. Steve Jobs clearly has no love for the Apple TV, so it wouldn't surprise me were he to reposition the Mini as a media center computer.

More USB ports are always nice. The best thing that Apple could do is to shoot for flexibility and add an expansion slot. This way a number of cards could configure the machine for different uses. That card could be anything from a eSATA port to a short wave radio. Due to minis size there would obviously be size and power restrictions but you have to deal with that with all card formats.
Quote:
The final changes will be in the upgrade to a Wireless-N Airport card, a larger allotment of DDR 3 SDRAM, & hard drives in-line with the current MacBooks (i.e. up to 320GB). I expect the price points of the two current models to stay mostly unchanged.

Interesting, but I could see Apple offering a far wider price range with the low end dual core with a standard 9400M and the high end a quad with a souped up 9400M. I say souped up because I suspect that the 9400M could run a bit faster with desktop cooling.
Quote:

All of that said, I think your criticisms are both false and ridiculous. You're arguing based off of inaccurate perception of technology and an even more inaccurate sense reasoning as to why some of your desires haven't been fulfilled.

I've heard the same about some of my suggestions but don't get to worked up about it. First I know that some of my ideas are a stretch. But I also realize that a lot of people here think their view point is the only valid one no matter the engineering realities. For example some will object to my call for dual GPUs in the largest iMac but it really isn't impossible it is for the most part a marketing issue and a thermal design issue.

Dave
post #64 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The Quad-Core will only be for the highest-end 24", the entry, mid 20" and entry 24" would only be dual core. The main line up would hopefully be

20" entry - Dualcore, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 9600GT 256MB
20" better - Dualcore, 2GB RAM, with Nvidia 9600GT 512MB
24" entry - Dualcore, 4GB RAM, with Nvidia 9600GT 512MB
24" best - Quadcore, 4GB RAM, with Nvidia 9800GT 512MB/1GB(?)VRAM

I hope you're wrong.

Sub $1000 dollar quad core pc systems aren't hard to find. I really don't see how Apple can reserve quad core for the most expensive iMac. That's already a $2000 rig.

I hope and suspect that the entry level 20" will be dual core, the better 20" will be quad core and the 24"s will be quad core all with some form of NVIDIA graphics.

As mjteix has shown (in another thread), by moving to low power desktop parts, Apple can easily accomplish this while upgrading the displays to LED backlighting and maintaining margins. Hopefully the iMac enclosure can accommodate 65w cpus or Apple will modify the enclosure to do so.
post #65 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why? He is stating fact .
It (racoon-faced iMac) is frkn FUGLY.

No, that is an opinion In my opinion, the black frame is beautiful. It makes the pictures jump out at you and creates more depth to it. While it is just my opinion, clearly the movie and television industry and most consumers think black is the best choice to surround a screen. I don't see any HDTV's coming out these days with anything but a black frame. (Unless you count the TOC from Samsung.) Anything too colorful distracts from the picture being displayed. And the aluminum is gorgeous.

At any rate, I hope the new iMac keeps the same form perhaps with a slightly less glossy screen. The only thing I think it absolutely, positively must have is a MULTI CARD READER. I'm not sure what Apple has against these but damn if I want to get out a stupid cable every time I want to transfer pictures from my camera. The thing is tiny so space limitations shouldn't be an issue. My $650 laptop has this so why can't a 'premium' iMac or MacBook have one? Is there a reason Apple doesn't like giving highly useful, inexpensive capabilities to its products? MMS on iPhone anyone?

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #66 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

No, that is an opinion In my opinion, the black frame is beautiful. It makes the pictures jump out at you and creates more depth to it. While it is just my opinion, clearly the movie and television industry and most consumers think black is the best choice to surround a screen. I don't see any HDTV's coming out these days with anything but a black frame. (Unless you count the TOC from Samsung.) Anything too colorful distracts from the picture being displayed. And the aluminum is gorgeous.

At any rate, I hope the new iMac keeps the same form perhaps with a slightly less glossy screen. The only thing I think it absolutely, positively must have is a MULTI CARD READER. I'm not sure what Apple has against these but damn if I want to get out a stupid cable every time I want to transfer pictures from my camera.

Yes I've come to realize that Apple does indeed hate the integrated card reader and I do admit that integrating card readers has often been rather superfluous in some devices. Bluetooth was supposed to make the need to for cables moot but clearly they didn't have their shit together.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #67 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

No, that is an opinion In my opinion, the black frame is beautiful. It makes the pictures jump out at you and creates more depth to it. While it is just my opinion, clearly the movie and television industry and most consumers think black is the best choice to surround a screen. I don't see any HDTV's coming out these days with anything but a black frame. (Unless you count the TOC from Samsung.) Anything too colorful distracts from the picture being displayed. And the aluminum is gorgeous.

Which is quite an interesting turn, when their display had an aluminum bezel, their sales lit said that aluminum was the best color. Colors on consumer electronics seem to be dictated by trend. As it is, I don't know what it is about consumer electronics, other than that, I don't have a whole lot of very dark or black objects in my apartment. Unless I wanted to pay a lot more, there often aren't a lot of color options.

On the new notebooks, I think the black bezel also does pretty well to hide the fact that the bezel is wider.

Quote:
At any rate, I hope the new iMac keeps the same form perhaps with a slightly less glossy screen. The only thing I think it absolutely, positively must have is a MULTI CARD READER. I'm not sure what Apple has against these but damn if I want to get out a stupid cable every time I want to transfer pictures from my camera. The thing is tiny so space limitations shouldn't be an issue. My $650 laptop has this so why can't a 'premium' iMac or MacBook have one? Is there a reason Apple doesn't like giving highly useful, inexpensive capabilities to its products? MMS on iPhone anyone?

I think it may be for looks.
post #68 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes I've come to realize that Apple does indeed hate the integrated card reader and I do admit that integrating card readers has often been rather superfluous in some devices. Bluetooth was supposed to make the need to for cables moot but clearly they didn't have their shit together.

Bluetooth doesn't really replace the need for a card reader or cable, photos, audio and videos are just too large, the batteries will die before a notable amount of data is transferred.
post #69 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

... The new Mini DisplayPort will obviously be making an appearance ...

I am too thinking that Apple will put the MiniDP into the Mini, but as there are no Displays (except the ACD) nor adapters available for MiniDP how is Apple going to sell the Mini. They can't believe that I buy a $ 800,- screen from Apple to accomodate the "cheap" Mini!
post #70 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I am too thinking that Apple will put the MiniDP into the Mini, but as there are no Displays (except the ACD) nor adapters available for MiniDP how is Apple going to sell the Mini. They can't believe that I buy a $ 800,- screen from Apple to accomodate the "cheap" Mini!

But what if they announce new LED Apple Displays.

What if MWSF comes with new iMacs and Mac mini but also
a 20" Apple LED Display and a 30" model?

Of course the iMac would be the better deal but the initial cash outlay
may be more than some can bear but but having a matching 20" ACD
Apple could sell a low cost mini and perhaps get the monitor sale later
on.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #71 of 96
I said earlier that there is no reason Apple couldn't combine an Nvidia chipset with a discrete ATI GPU, especially since an iMac doesn't need power savings like a notebook. Now, look what is appearing in January: Mobility Radeon HD4850

PS: Take a look at the price and specs on the notebook that page links to
post #72 of 96
What I like to see is for the new iMac to move the USB to the side under the superdrive. It would make a lot more sense to have the ports more accessible then the current model. I have the current model and it is a small annoyance as I ended up finally just getting a powered USB hub with 4 connections.

I tried to eliminate clutter and wires and still have that one extra ugly thing with wires on on my desktop. That was the reason I went wireless on the keyboard and mouse.
post #73 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I am too thinking that Apple will put the MiniDP into the Mini, but as there are no Displays (except the ACD) nor adapters available for MiniDP how is Apple going to sell the Mini. They can't believe that I buy a $ 800,- screen from Apple to accomodate the "cheap" Mini!

If Apple puts a MiniDisplayport in the Mac Mini, that is not a problem, the Mac Mini can still connect to 24" LED Cinema Display, DVI, VGA because Apple has MiniDisplayport to DVI adapters, etc.

It's the Apple LED Display that can't go the other way, it *must* be used with something that has a MiniDisplayport.
post #74 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

At any rate, I hope the new iMac keeps the same form perhaps with a slightly less glossy screen. The only thing I think it absolutely, positively must have is a MULTI CARD READER. I'm not sure what Apple has against these but damn if I want to get out a stupid cable every time I want to transfer pictures from my camera. The thing is tiny so space limitations shouldn't be an issue. My $650 laptop has this so why can't a 'premium' iMac or MacBook have one? Is there a reason Apple doesn't like giving highly useful, inexpensive capabilities to its products? MMS on iPhone anyone?

Well, here's one reason why it may not be needed... many if not most printers have card readers in them already. I know my Epson printer doubles as my card reader and so I don't need a card reader in my Mac or as a stand-alone peripheral.
post #75 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I said earlier that there is no reason Apple couldn't combine an Nvidia chipset with a discrete ATI GPU, especially since an iMac doesn't need power savings like a notebook. Now, look what is appearing in January: Mobility Radeon HD4850

PS: Take a look at the price and specs on the notebook that page links to

Good find. However, one thing that really stops me from even considering a PC laptop is the displays, very, very few have LED backlit displays. They have fancy names, but when you look at 17", 15" and 13", the sheer brightness of the Apple laptops blows a lot of PC laptop screens away.

Interestingly, the Radeon HD 4850 on desktops is a decent competitor. Word on the street is that these 4800 series Radeons are what caused Nvidia to drop their 9800 and 9600 series prices to compete.

In any case, it remains my belief the iMac update will involve Nvidia 9600 and 9800s. There's too much incentive (I can't explain it, just a gut feeling) for Apple's Nvidia MCP to be used with Nvidia 9600 and 9800s.

Nvidia's got quite a bit of tweaking to do in it's 260 and 280 lines, the volume of business Nvidia is going to have to get in 2009 will be from the 9 series. 9600 and 9800 on the higher-end, and a whole bunch of 9300 and 9400s on the lower end. I think Nvidia's making some offers for Apple's iMac ... that's just too good for Apple to say no to.
post #76 of 96
The day Apple adds a card reader to their hardware is the day we all know Steve has died. There's a better chance he'll add an FM radio, with knobs and pushtabs, to the next iPods.

Sandisk makes a great reader for their SD cards that slips into one of your USB ports (I have about 20 USB ports via 2 7-port hubs + what's available standard). Keeps all the wires in the back, out of sight.
post #77 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

The day Apple adds a card reader to their hardware is the day we all know Steve has died. There's a better chance he'll add an FM radio, with knobs and pushtabs, to the next iPods.

Sandisk makes a great reader for their SD cards that slips into one of your USB ports (I have about 20 USB ports via 2 7-port hubs + what's available standard). Keeps all the wires in the back, out of sight.

But one of the things Apple is known for is its clean, sexy design...a card reader hanging from a usb slot isn't very clean or sexy IMHO. It just seems like it would be something so simple for Apple to add and at very minimal cost to them but great utility to the consumer. Apple is just funny that way. Of course, I'll still probably end up buying the new iMac if pricing doesn't change much. I'll just be slightly annoyed each time I try to upload photos and files.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #78 of 96
Card readers I'm of mixed opinions about. It does make sense on laptops. Considering the use of Apple hardware by photo professional and others you would think that this would be a no brainer on Apples part. Especially now when the better camera seemed to have focused on two card formats ( Compact Flash & SD ).

Card readers built into desktops is a different story in my estimation. Mainly because the hardware is expected to last longer. You can quickly find the ports outdated or transfer rate lagging. Of course updateable firmware can address some of this and frankly it is something that Apple does well.

As to graphics cards I'm still going out on a limb here and will suggest that the top of the line IMac will have dual GPUs. One may or may not be stuffed into the chipset. The driver here of course is OpenCL, Apple will need a desktop that it can offer up as a strong OpenCL performer. Maybe that really isn't to far out on a limb, it pretty much looks like Apple is all in with this technology. I also have this idea in my head that the 9400M can be clocked faster or that there is a desktop variant.

I'd also would not be surprised to see a performance oriented GPU in the largest iMac. This largest machine could be 20 some inches wide in the electronics area, that is a lot of room for a thermal management solution. Again the goal for Apple is to keep the machines competitive, so while a desktop part it won't be top of the line.


Dave
post #79 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Card readers I'm of mixed opinions about. It does make sense on laptops. Considering the use of Apple hardware by photo professional and others you would think that this would be a no brainer on Apples part. Especially now when the better camera seemed to have focused on two card formats ( Compact Flash & SD ).

Card readers built into desktops is a different story in my estimation. Mainly because the hardware is expected to last longer. You can quickly find the ports outdated or transfer rate lagging. Of course updateable firmware can address some of this and frankly it is something that Apple does well.

....


Dave

I agree, but as you pointed out, a firmware or driver update will take care of any new cards that come out. I remember when I had a Windows laptop and SDHC cards came out and it did not recognize it. I just updated the driver and viola. (Of course, being windows, I had to do some searching to find the driver but I found it eventually.) If the update to the iMac is purely an internal refreshening then I don't expect a change. BUT, if they change the case in any way could they find it in their hearts to machine in a little 1" slot? \ Not only is it great for professional and amateur photographers but with a 16gb SDHC card able to be had for $24 it is a great way to carry around documents and presentations. Hopefully some pictures get leaked soon and we'll know for sure

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

Reply
post #80 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

...... Not only is it great for professional and amateur photographers but with a 16gb SDHC card able to be had for $24 it is a great way to carry around documents and presentations. Hopefully some pictures get leaked soon and we'll know for sure

First; that is a great price on a SDHC card.

Second; the concept of using the cards for semi permant or semi internal storage expansion is very valid. I'm currently suffering from a stuffed harddisk and could really benefit from something like this to relieve storage issues. I suspect that in this case though compact flash is the way to go. Mostly from the perception that compact flash is faster and higher capacity.

To solve the problem on my MacBook Pro I've been looking for express card format flash modules but have yet to find any that seem to be correctly implemented. Express card would seem to be ideal for this as it is a larger module but there don't seem to be many manufactures adopting it. The few that have, have Express card drives that are slower than their USB flash dongles. It is amazing how difficult it is to buy what should be an obvious product.

Dave
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen iMacs due in January, says paper