or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Just bought an iPhone 3G, setting up my email question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just bought an iPhone 3G, setting up my email question

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

I'm setting up my email on the iPhone 3G, and I can't for the life on me find the setting to choose on what days and between what times I want it to check automatically. Can anyone point me in the right direction? (I've tried Google, and I've looked through the AppStore for email utilities).

Many thanks.
post #2 of 12
The default push settings are 15, 30 and 60 minutes.

I set mine to manually so it retrieves when I open my inboxes, this way I can check a couple of times a day, which suits the way I use it.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The default push settings are 15, 30 and 60 minutes.

I set mine to manually so it retrieves when I open my inboxes, this way I can check a couple of times a day, which suits the way I use it.

Hmmm, what I want it to do is automatically check my email every 15/30 minutes, but only on weekdays, and only between 9am and 6pm. How do I set this?
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Hmmm, what I want it to do is automatically check my email every 15/30 minutes, but only on weekdays, and only between 9am and 6pm. How do I set this?

You can't.

Your only choices are "every 15, 30, 60, or manually". You can't narrow it down to specific time frames or days.

(Found in the "Settings" application ... under "Fetch New Data".)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You can't.

Your only choices are "every 15, 30, 60, or manually". You can't narrow it down to specific time frames or days.

(Found in the "Settings" application ... under "Fetch New Data".)

boy does that suck ass . I hate to say it after spending £350 on this motha, but my vast selection of Nokia S60 phones *can* do this, and it is incredibly useful. I think I just took it for granted that every phone would have this 'common sense' feature.
post #6 of 12
Well you could spend 2 or 3 seconds switching Fetch off on weekends, then switch it on again on Monday mornings.

I know touching the screen a few times is such a chore but I'm sure you can manage it.

You could use the calendar to set reminders.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
I don't see why it can't let you set up email retrieval in this way. Definitely one for a future firmware update.
post #8 of 12
Can someone tell me what fetch is? I get that you can set intervals when you want the data retrieved with push but what is fetch?
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Can someone tell me what fetch is? I get that you can set intervals when you want the data retrieved with push but what is fetch?

It means exactly what the dictionary says. "To go and get". Your phone wakes up, goes and checks for mail on the server, then brings it back to the phone

No special technical meaning
post #10 of 12
So if I have fetch switched off but push on for evern 15 mins then will my mail and other stuff still update?
post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
There's no such thing as Push having time intervals; the data is pushed to the device as and when it arrives at the server. Fetch has set internals.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

So if I have fetch switched off but push on for evern 15 mins then will my mail and other stuff still update?

Yes.
With Fetch turned OFF, Mail "gets" new stuff when you start the Mail application.
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Just bought an iPhone 3G, setting up my email question