or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen iMac to include new cooling module?

Next-gen iMac to include new cooling module? - Page 3

post #81 of 84
wasn't a patent filed a little while back regarding water cooling methods?
post #82 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Plus the current iMac's 2600 Pro and 8800 GS graphics chips have a tdp of 45w and 105w respectively. If they go with the mobile versions of the 9600M and 9800M then they can make a cooler design.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I had to address this point. The 8800 GS GPU in the iMac is not a real 8800 GS (the 8800 GS has only 384MB of RAM), its a rebranded 8800M GTS GPU with a TDP of 35W. According to this.

Also the power supply of the 20" iMac is only 200W (280W for the 24" iMac) so unless Apple wants to change this, they have to work within a defined power envelop and that probably means still using mobile (low TDP) GPUs even if the rest of the platform is "desktop".

As far a the Apple's desktop range is concern, my wish for 2009 would be something like that:
- Mac mini dual-core $999
- iMac quad-core $1999
- Mac Pro quad-core (8 threads) $2499
- Mac Pro eight-cores (16 threads) $2499

Have a nice year, everybody.
post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

Sorry to revive this thread, but I had to address this point. The 8800 GS GPU in the iMac is not a real 8800 GS (the 8800 GS has only 384MB of RAM), its a rebranded 8800M GTS GPU with a TDP of 35W. According to this.

Interesting.

Also, Nvidia released some new mobile GPUs, the GeForce GT 130M in particular is about 17% faster than the 9600M.
post #84 of 84
I'm going to buy an iMac sometime in the next few months. Are we likely to see an update to the iMac lineup say before the end of April and if so is it likely that the Australian price would increase with the new models considering how much the exchange rate tanked shortly after the ipod announcements in September of last year.

Come to think of it is there any website that tracks the international cost and release dates of imac/ipod models over time?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Next-gen iMac to include new cooling module?