or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak to appear at Macworld

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak to appear at Macworld

post #1 of 49
While the verdict is out on whether Apple chief executive Steve Jobs will make some form of appearance at next week's Macworld Expo, the 'other Steve' that helped co-found the company more than 30 years ago will be on hand to throw his weight behind a third-party product launch.

Modbook maker Axiotron announced Wednesday that Wozniak, an active member of its board of advisors, will participate in the unveiling of the company's latest products and technologies in the main presentation area of its booth (#502) on Tuesday, January 6th, 2009, at 12 pm.

Axiotron's booth has drawn some of the largest crowds at the past two Macworld Expos as show-goers flocked to take its "Modbook" tablet computer for a test run. The device, which sells for $2,249 and above, is an after-market hardware modification to Apple's MacBook notebooks that transforms the portables into the "first ever Mac OS X tablet computer solution."

At this year's show, Axiotron's chief executive Andreas Haas will highlight the improved and enhanced Modbook and also provide a first look at the company's latest innovations, including Quickscript, its new handwriting recognition software.

Haas will also offer a window into Axiotron’s unique product development process, while Wozniak present his vision of how Axiotron’s approach may represent a bridge between past breakthroughs and future innovations.

"I look forward to Steve’s participation at Macworld," Haas said. "His excitement about our Modbook has been both gratifying and inspiring. As fellow Newton MessagePad enthusiasts, Steve and I share the desire to bring back some of those powerful pen tablet features that have been dormant for so long, and I am delighted to present some of what we have been working on."

The event will be open to all Macworld attendees.
post #2 of 49
yes, and people will sure be curious about HIS opinon on iphone, ipod and everything apple has done in the last 10 years.
post #3 of 49
Shocking!

And btw, I promise you Steve Jobs will make an appearance. That much is the most obvious thing ever.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #4 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Shocking!

And btw, I promise you Steve Jobs will make an appearance. That much is the most obvious thing ever.

Stop guessing!
bb
bb
post #5 of 49
at least with the likely low turnout at macworld, there will be lots of room for his segway in the isles...
post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Stop guessing!

I did.
post #7 of 49
Quote:

I would guess that Steve and Phil are about to blow the hinges off the media, by pulling that old one last thing trick out of their hats.

I bet Phil does the whole song and dance presentation leading to reduced expectations from the crowd, then at the very end on walks Steve looking like a million bucks (+20 lbs) and pulls the iPod tablet out of his pocket and says its available everywhere this afternoon That will put Phil in the drivers seat and set the hypers on their collective heels.

OK, a guy can dream cant he?
OMG here we go again...
OMG here we go again...
post #8 of 49
Maybe more like,

Phil ends by saying:

"Oh yeah, there's one more thing I'd like to show off (or talk about)" at that time, it's then that Steve J. enters the stage - looking pretty good. Steve gets a HUGH standing Ovation, and after it quiets down, he sets the stage for Apple's New (?).

Phil finishes up with the intro on the new product as we watch Steve leave the stage one last time - YES to a Standing O, with folks chanting "Steve, Steve, Steve"!

Phil then announces to the stage "Bono" or someone BIG, who sings one of Steve's favorite songs … any every one runs to the auditorium to look at and touch the newest Apple product.

I must admit, I like my version better then what will liely happen … nothing.

I don't know what Steve or Phil could announce that will not cause Apple stock to tank?

Skip
post #9 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Last edited by ncee; Today at 04:53 PM.. Reason: hadn't finished

Skip

Sorry, but you were 'finished' before you started that post.
post #10 of 49
The "one more thing" will be Jobs announcing that Woz will become CEO after he retires.
post #11 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

I would guess that Steve and Phil are about to blow the hinges off the media, by pulling that old one last thing trick out of their hats.

Possibly, I don't know though.
post #12 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post

The "one more thing" will be Jobs announcing that Woz will become CEO after he retires.

Pretty much every good strategic move Apple has done in the last 10 years Woz has thought was a bad idea - so in that sense I hope you're wrong.
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Maybe more like,

Phil ends by saying:

"Oh yeah, there's one more thing I'd like to show off (or talk about)" at that time, it's then that Steve J. enters the stage - looking pretty good. Steve gets a HUGH standing Ovation, and after it quiets down, he sets the stage for Apple's New (?).

Phil finishes up with the intro on the new product as we watch Steve leave the stage one last time - YES to a Standing O, with folks chanting "Steve, Steve, Steve"!

OR... Phil finishes his keynote, Steve comes out for "one more thing" and announces he's dying. \ (I'm kidding!)

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #14 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

OR... Phil finishes his keynote, Steve comes out for "one more thing" and announces he's dying.

It's hilarious that everyone is getting their knickers in a twist, and myself and Spam are cracking jokes. Happy new year!
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeNsteinNo View Post

CEO of what? Psystar?
post #16 of 49
Quote:

It's hilarious that everyone is getting their knickers in a twist, and myself and Spam are cracking jokes. Happy new year!

Every time there's an event and the tablet isn't announced and the musical guest starts I feel like Mortimer Duke at the end of Trading Places. "Turn those machines back on!"
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
Emailing video from iPhone to Apple TV , sort of..
post #17 of 49
Anyone own(ed) a relatively new modbook? Do they work well? And what type of tech does the display use? Is it as accurate as a Wacom? does it have multiple pressure levels like a Wacom? It would be sweet to have a "mobile Cintique" or whatever that thing is called...
post #18 of 49
If you wanted someone to "throw their weight" behind the proceedings, Woz is definitely your man.

Steve Jobs is likely to just bounce off the crepe paper decorations.
post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Every time there's an event and the tablet isn't announced and the musical guest starts I feel like Mortimer Duke at the end of Trading Places. "Turn those machines back on!"

Very true.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 49
Quote:

Happy New Year to you too!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

If you wanted someone to "throw their weight" behind the proceedings, Woz is definitely your man.

Steve Jobs is likely to just bounce off the crepe paper decorations.

Woz certainly adds heft to any event... especially events involving lasers.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #22 of 49
Why is he getting behind a product that involves hacking up an existing Mac? It's like poking Steve Jobs in the eye.
post #23 of 49
Quote:

Pretty much every good strategic move Apple has done in the last 10 years Woz has thought was a bad idea - so in that sense I hope you're wrong.

Woz is a very good engineer, but he's an idiot businessman. Were he in charge of Apple, OS X would be "the other Vista" right now. He has, several times, shown open contempt for tying hardware and software together and said he finds the iPhone to be interesting, but ultimately pointless. Were Woz to take over Apple, he would undo absolutely everything Steve Jobs has worked so hard to create and fix.

Woz is not a bad man, but honestly, he's kind of a joke.
post #24 of 49
If only he hadn't broken up with Kathy Griffin.
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Woz certainly adds heft to any event...

He certainly does.
The man must weigh 225lbs now.

And as to the silly CEO remarks, anyone remember Wheels of Zeus?

Woz may have been a genius as an engineer in his prime, but what has he done since then? And even if one can argue that Woz has engineered something great outside Apple (universal remote controllers perhaps?), such is by no means a qualification for being a CEO. One of Apple's all time worst CEO's ever (Spindler) had an engineering background. I like Woz personally, and I think he has a true heart of gold. And in this day and age, such is rare. But again, that doesn't qualify him to lead any company, more less Apple.

So in summary, I wish to reply to this article by saying...

...who cares?!
post #26 of 49
It is always good to see the Woz promote some Apple products. He's not always complimentary towards Apple but neither am I.

Maybe Woz should take the helm of Apple when Jobs retires. Or maybe not.
post #27 of 49
Go Woz! You're awesome!
post #28 of 49
The Axiotron Modbook is too large and too heavy. Even the MacBook Air is too large and too heavy. Give us a 5-inch device with 400 g or so and we are sold. Something like this:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2008/12...al-experience/

but with Mac OS X inside (see first picture):

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games
post #29 of 49
So Woz is backing a company that makes a product that will either drift along in mediocrity because no-one wants a tablet or get overtaken by Apple because everyone wants a tablet.

Way to pick a winner !

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

Many of the most important software concepts were invented in the 70s and forgotten in the 80s.

post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Haha! Well I wasn't expecting it yet, but I can imagine feeling that way if I was. I want it badly too. "Feeling good Lewis!"
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

So Woz is backing a company that makes a product that will either drift along in mediocrity because no-one wants a tablet or get overtaken by Apple because everyone wants a tablet.

Way to pick a winner !

Am I that tired or did that not make sense?
post #32 of 49
Cool: the Woz can foment political pressure inside Apple for a reprised release of the NewtonQ1, 2010. We'z likez tha Woz.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

Woz is not a bad man, but honestly, he's kind of a joke.

Gee, what kind of joker are you? What you have achieved in your life compare to Woz? Scary!
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Sorry, but you were 'finished' before you started that post.

So were you in posting that bit of pointlessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Anyone own(ed) a relatively new modbook? Do they work well? And what type of tech does the display use? Is it as accurate as a Wacom? does it have multiple pressure levels like a Wacom? It would be sweet to have a "mobile Cintique" or whatever that thing is called...

Last I heard, it has 512 levels of pressure, the original had 256 but it was updated to 512 through software. I've never seen or used a Modbook, I can't say.
post #35 of 49
While the comments on this thread have been thoroughly hilarious, back on topic... The modbook would kickass if they announced/demoed the MacBookAirModbook or MacBookAluminiumModBook (with sexier names, of course).

A ModBook based off a MacBook Air would be killer.

Right now the ModBook looks like it incorporates the white MacBook.

Axiotron announcing a "AirBook" Tablet (AirTablet?) (AirPad?) based on the MacBook Air would be, pretty darn impressive and shave 50% of the weight of the thing.

If Woz has any common sense left in that "geek in the clouds" brain of his, this would be the thing to put his "heft" on.

An ultrasexy Apple tablet, for a variety of applications. The AirPad.

Woz. As happy as I am for him enjoying himself and being a happy human being, he brings the term "Sloppy Seconds" to a whole, whole new level.
post #36 of 49
Quote:

Am I that tired or did that not make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Way to pick a winner !

Ireland, PXT's comment makes sense.

If the tablet is the next great big thing, then Axiotron is f*ked because Apple will pwn it. Majorly.

Or, the pen-based tablet is on its way out, there is no huge market for it. In which case Axiotron is not going to be huge.

That said though, I think some kind of Mac tablet is important in the market and it is more an issue of cost, weight, availability of more models, and global sales & marketing. That is, a strong business plan to make the Mac tablet succesful regardless of whether or not Apple enters this market space.

A strong business plan, usually not associated with Woz showing up and doing, whatever the hell it is he does. Publicity = good, Woz = not useful from a longer term business perspective.

And Americans need to start thinking globally, lots, lots, more. Which is not Woz's forte, by the way.

If the iPhone 3G did not have such resounding global success, Apple would be in some amount of trouble. Perceptually or actually.

In Asia anyway, the Mac tablet has a lot of potential for creatives, medical, engineering, "just cool to have it" etc. solutions. The Wacom Cintiq I believe is much more expensive than the ModBook, and it's a separate thing. If you had a 15" ModBook or ModBook based on a MacBook Air, globally, even in these down times, the Mac tablet has potential. Have a way to put in a 3G modem somewhere in there, and Boom!

Is Woz really going to make an impact, or contribute to key business goals, or just going to faff about for nostalgia's sake?
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

While the comments on this thread have been thoroughly hilarious, back on topic... The modbook would kickass if they announced/demoed the MacBookAirModbook or MacBookAluminiumModBook (with sexier names, of course).

The Modbook is not multi-touch, or capacitive. So IMO it's useless. We're not talking a me-too tablet that Apple should make. But something entirely NEW>

With a whole new type of OS for a tablet. Not merely a skinning of OS X, but a complete overhaul. Apple knows the desktop OS is getting pretty long in the tooth, so they are making it work better by rethinking how they do things. They are working on efficiency. But I also believe they are simultaneously working on a full cocoa touch OS X variant for this new category of tablet devices I think to call the "table tablet".
post #38 of 49
Quote:

The Modbook is not multi-touch, or capacitive. So IMO it's useless. We're not talking a me-too tablet that Apple should make. But something entirely NEW>

With a whole new type of OS for a tablet. Not merely a skinning of OS X, but a complete overhaul. Apple knows the desktop OS is getting pretty long in the tooth, so they are making it work better by rethinking how they do things. They are working on efficiency. But I also believe they are simultaneously working on a full cocoa touch OS X variant for this new category of tablet devices I think to call the "table tablet".

I think something entirely NEW would be great. But that's not what Axiotron is about right now.

They can continue to do what they do, but they need to take it "to the next level".
1. Airpad (modbook based on MacBook Air) for 13" ultraportable tablet etc.
2. Go up against the Cintiq big time for creative, medical and engineering apps. This means a modbook based on the 15" and even 17" MacBook Pro. The 15" can be handheld. The 17" would be difficult to be handheld, it may be table- or arm-mounted (like in operating theatres for example).
3. Shift their mainstream ModBook table to be based on the aluminium MacBook.

Now this said, the totally new thinking and all that, is where Apple needs to be, and they probably are researching it, at that 10" screen, "netbook/tablet" space, with, I agree, a multi-touch OS X thing somwhere between OS X desktop and iPhone OS.

I don't think this Apple tablet will show up at MacWorld, so Axiotron should continue to have a market niche to play in.

I'm feeling a 10" 3G-enabled Apple "netbook" (not tablet but somewhere between multi-touch and keyboard... somehow... maybe) sold through it's telco partners... may be what Apple will announce in several days.

OK I'm starting to ramble now...
post #39 of 49
Quote:

Shocking!

He f*king has to. No Steve Jobs on stage, even a brief five minutes, would be very, very bad, if just from a PR perspective.
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

He f*king has to. No Steve Jobs on stage, even a brief five minutes, would be very, very bad, if just from a PR perspective.

He'll be there, soon as the taxidermist is finished with him.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak to appear at Macworld