or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next-gen Mac mini to get dual display support
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple's next-gen Mac mini to get dual display support - Page 5

post #161 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

I get where you are coming from but then that would surely defeat the purpose if they had to develop a new magsafe connector? I do not see the problem that needs solving with a magsafe connector, in fact I can only see problems that will be caused by using a magsafe connector.

Try reading my post & really actually thinking about what I said instead of just ruling it out because it counters your opinion.

I very clearly explained that no need to modify the magsafe power supplies would be needed, instead just add some sort of clip device to the mini that clips over the connector keeping it in place. It's not that complicated, do I need to draw it out for you?
post #162 of 250
I can't believe I"m going to let myself get sucked into the ongoing magsafe debate, but here goes...

One simple little fact tells me that the mini will not use magsafe. Look at the picture here:

http://www.apple.com/displays/features.html

The connector is L shaped. How exactly would that work? Apple isn't going to put the port on the side of the mini, so it will be on the back. But in what orientation? They could put it along an edge, but then the cord is going to stick out from behind the mini, which would look ridiculous. So Apple won't do that. If they put it in the middle or oriented so the cable doesn't stick out like a rooster tail, it's going to block other ports on the back of the mini.

Also, from this photo, it really doesn't look like the cable is long enough. Your laptop is going to be someplace close at hand because you will be coming and going with it. But a mini could be tucked away in a corner not near your display, but that cable length doesn't really allow that. So the current cable that ships with the Cinema Display really doesn't work for the mini.

The cost-saving argument doesn't really work either. The current connector used by the mini is likely cheaper to produce than a magsafe connector. As for the other end where the transformer is, unless Apple makes drastic power-saving design changes, neither of the existing MB/MBP adaptors are high enough wattage, so Apple is going to have to design a new transformer anyway. They can't simply reuse the current MBP adaptor. A final note on cost savings, the laptop adaptors are designed to be small and portable. My guess is that because of that they are more expensive than a plain old brick style adaptor that can be hidden behind your desk where size doesn't matter.

The ease with which a magsafe connector can become disconnected is also a strike against it for desktop use. There have been times that I've picked up my MBP not realizing it was plugged in. I didn't even feel the magsafe come loose until I heard it hit the floor (the end of the connector, that is). The notion that Apple would "rig a clip" is just silly and un-Apple-like.

So it seems like the only reason folks are arguing that it will be a magasafe on the mini is so they can us it with the new LED Cinema display. There's just no other logical reason do use it on the mini. So to those folks, I'll offer a solution. Obviously Apple wouldn't sell a display with a three-headed connector (mDP, USB, power) that is only useful with laptops. What are we supposed to do, leave the power connector dangling unused? Also very un-Apple-like. So if you look at this photo, it appears that the connector is not hardwired into the Cinema display.

So I suspect Apple will do one of two things. First, it could sell a cable that only has mDP and USB, no power. This would allow you to use the new display with a desktop Mac without an unused power connector dangling around. You could even even use it as a 2nd monitor for an iMac, for which there is no way the Cinema Display puts out enough power to run an iMac (or a Mac Pro, for that matter). In this case you would use the power adaptor that came with your mini to power it. The 2nd option is that Apple sells a cable that includes power for the mini, but with different connector on the mini end.

Either way, since it would be silly to use magsafe on the mini for the reason stated above, and since Apple will need to sell you a new cable to use the Cinema Display with anything other than a MB/BMP anyway, they are free to use a simple, more secure design for the plug itself. There will be no advantages (and a few disadvantages) to using magsafe.

Now can with end this never-ending debate of whether it will use magsafe and get back to the far more important issue of Firewire?
post #163 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIJG View Post

A dumb question perhaps:
Is there any chance that the new mini could have eSATA?

It's fast and has room to grow beyond firewire, but it requires an external power source. So, the new mini could use the conventional power supply, ditch firewire, encourage users to buy the new monitor, then use the monitor's MagSafe power connection for eSATA peripherals...

Whatever.

There may be no need for MagSafe on the mini (other than cleanliness), but I don't see how it's a bad idea. The computer will need a power supply; the computer may as well come with a MagSafe adapter as opposed to a regular AC power brick. What's the difference? It's not as if the conventional connector is held in place all that securely as it is; add some kind of clip for insurance if deemed necessary.

With notebooks being Apple cash-cows (and the suspected high-volume of mini sales, present and future) there may be an economy of scale for shipping the mini with a MagSafe power supply.

Further, a mini that comes with a MagSafe adapter provides an incentive for the user with the new mini DisplayPort monitor to cash-in by selling the adapter that came with his/her computer. That would help the consumer offset the high margin on the Apple display.

As even the current MacPro workstation lacks eSATA, I'm pretty sure the connector would not be found on Apple's lowest performer.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #164 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

A magsafe power supply is designed to be easily removed from a laptop in case someone trips over the cable. It also unplugs itself very easily when using a macbook and the cable is snagged somewhere (usually on my couch) or the power cable is pulled to it's limit. It is great at what it does.

But for a desktop computer/media server it would be madness to include such a feature. If I have to move my Mini to get to a cable or something behind it I certainly do not want the risk that the cable is snagged somewhere and thus suddenly lose all power to the Mini. Whatever you think of the power supply on the current Mini is certainly takes more force to remove than a Magsafe.

Anyone who thinks that the new Mini might have a magsafe really is not thinking things through properly. It would be a stupid feature for Apple to include.

They could do a magsafe connector but also include a clip to hold it in place. Have you ever seen the clip on the power cable for the Xserve. Holds it in place so it can't slip out.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #165 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

They could do a magsafe connector but also include a clip to hold it in place. Have you ever seen the clip on the power cable for the Xserve. Holds it in place so it can't slip out.

A clip of some sort to make sure the Magsafe is secure? That is just nonsense. We don't have the necessary clip technology to achieve such a monumentap feat. Besides that, you're overlooking the fact that having a big ass external brick sitting on your desktop or floor when you have a power cable sitting right behind your Mac Mini it the other two LED-CD cables plugged in is a status symbol. Think Different, not logically.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #166 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I can't believe I"m going to let myself get sucked into the ongoing magsafe debate, but here goes...

One simple little fact tells me that the mini will not use magsafe. Look at the picture here:

http://www.apple.com/displays/features.html

The connector is L shaped. How exactly would that work? Apple isn't going to put the port on the side of the mini, so it will be on the back. But in what orientation? They could put it along an edge, but then the cord is going to stick out from behind the mini, which would look ridiculous. So Apple won't do that. If they put it in the middle or oriented so the cable doesn't stick out like a rooster tail, it's going to block other ports on the back of the mini.

Also, from this photo, it really doesn't look like the cable is long enough. Your laptop is going to be someplace close at hand because you will be coming and going with it. But a mini could be tucked away in a corner not near your display, but that cable length doesn't really allow that. So the current cable that ships with the Cinema Display really doesn't work for the mini.

The cost-saving argument doesn't really work either. The current connector used by the mini is likely cheaper to produce than a magsafe connector. As for the other end where the transformer is, unless Apple makes drastic power-saving design changes, neither of the existing MB/MBP adaptors are high enough wattage, so Apple is going to have to design a new transformer anyway. They can't simply reuse the current MBP adaptor. A final note on cost savings, the laptop adaptors are designed to be small and portable. My guess is that because of that they are more expensive than a plain old brick style adaptor that can be hidden behind your desk where size doesn't matter.

The ease with which a magsafe connector can become disconnected is also a strike against it for desktop use. There have been times that I've picked up my MBP not realizing it was plugged in. I didn't even feel the magsafe come loose until I heard it hit the floor (the end of the connector, that is). The notion that Apple would "rig a clip" is just silly and un-Apple-like.

So it seems like the only reason folks are arguing that it will be a magasafe on the mini is so they can us it with the new LED Cinema display. There's just no other logical reason do use it on the mini. So to those folks, I'll offer a solution. Obviously Apple wouldn't sell a display with a three-headed connector (mDP, USB, power) that is only useful with laptops. What are we supposed to do, leave the power connector dangling unused? Also very un-Apple-like. So if you look at this photo, it appears that the connector is not hardwired into the Cinema display.

So I suspect Apple will do one of two things. First, it could sell a cable that only has mDP and USB, no power. This would allow you to use the new display with a desktop Mac without an unused power connector dangling around. You could even even use it as a 2nd monitor for an iMac, for which there is no way the Cinema Display puts out enough power to run an iMac (or a Mac Pro, for that matter). In this case you would use the power adaptor that came with your mini to power it. The 2nd option is that Apple sells a cable that includes power for the mini, but with different connector on the mini end.

Either way, since it would be silly to use magsafe on the mini for the reason stated above, and since Apple will need to sell you a new cable to use the Cinema Display with anything other than a MB/BMP anyway, they are free to use a simple, more secure design for the plug itself. There will be no advantages (and a few disadvantages) to using magsafe.

Now can with end this never-ending debate of whether it will use magsafe and get back to the far more important issue of Firewire?

I agree it is unlikely. However, it's a bit ridiculous that people keep making claims about inconvenience or impossibilities that don't exist.

Block ports? Have you ever really seen the back of a Mac Mini or seen the size of a magsafe connector?

Cable length? Seriously, this would be an issue for connecting a mini to the cinema display whether you use magsafe power or not, has nothing to do with this discussion. Given the size of the mini though I suspect many people wouldn't mind having it right next to the cinema display, especially when it would draw power from that display.

Cost? There is no evidence that a mini couldn't use a magsafe connection without using an actual laptop power supply when independently powered. A connector is completely seperate from what actually supplies the power.

All this being said, I agree it is probably not going to happen because there are likely many technical restrictions preventing this, but I've not seen any viable arguments against so far so maybe I'm wrong & we will see this happen after-all. I think it would be cool, long as you use your brain a little & understand that finding a way to secure a magsafe connector to a mini is a tiny feat for engineers.
post #167 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

As even the current MacPro workstation lacks eSATA, I'm pretty sure the connector would not be found on Apple's lowest performer.

If they did do something that like it wouldn't be the first time its happened. Top of the line products such as the MacPro don't always get the latest and greatest first.

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Reply
post #168 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

Apple makes a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter for your analog projector. For example see http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...mfg=MB572Z%2FA

Wonderful, but I don't need VGA. S-video, composite, etc, are not supported with DP. Many people still use these connections.
post #169 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If they did do something that like it wouldn't be the first time its happened. Top of the line products such as the MacPro don't always get the latest and greatest first.

eSATA would be a major plus.

I don't expect it though, lowered expectations means I'm not carping when the new Mac mini is announced.

And it looks like people have hacked eSATA on the Mac mini before;

apple mac mini eSATA

Looks like something I would do.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #170 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaflo View Post

Wonderful, but I don't need VGA. S-video, composite, etc, are not supported with DP. Many people still use these connections.

VGA, as an analog output, can usually be converted to other analog outputs pretty easily.
post #171 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

They could do a magsafe connector but also include a clip to hold it in place.

Another option would simply be to make the magsafe socket about 1/3 inch deeper. It's very easy to knock out the magsafe connector, 5 times more difficult to pull it directly out.

That is quite simple - but doesn't help with the cinema display. Its magsafe has an L-bend on the power cord. This slightly thinner cable could be recessed into the side of a MacMini too, still supporting the head of the cable and MUCH harder to pull out even when you want to - but it may be more difficult to construct and less attractive.
post #172 of 250
How many of you people actually own a Mac mini? Why get excited over a Mac that you wouldn't even consider buying?
post #173 of 250
If the Mini update offers two full size drives, Nvidia graphics and a quad core processor, then this is truly the long awaited arrival of the xMac. And I predict it will sell even more units than the MacBook. It will be wildly popular.

I will place my order on day one, I'll opt for two internal hard drives, and attach an external optical drive. I'm very excited - I've been waiting for this for more than two years. In retrospect, it was stupid to wait, but I've been anticipating that Apple would fill the hole in their lineup for ages. It sounds like the dream is about to become reality. If I was superstitious, I would not post this.

******

Just for kicks, allow me to fantasize about a feature that the Mini almost certainly won't include, but which would be awesomely cool. How exciting would it be, if you could interconnect multiple Minis to act as a single computer? With Snow Leopard on the horizon, it seems that Apple would have the software to make this worthwhile. I don't know enough about the technologies to undersand the obstacles or the costs, but I haven't seen this idea mentioned, so I'm throwing it out there. Again, I'm not saying I think this will happen, I'm fantasizing about cool possibilities.
post #174 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How many of you people actually own a Mac mini? Why get excited over a Mac that you wouldn't even consider buying?

I had a G5 Quad that died a few months ago. Can't afford anything right now except a Mac mini, otherwise it's no Mac for me, forevermore. Sad but true.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #175 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

Just a note after doing some research - Monoprice.com is planning on releasing a MDP to HDMI adaptor by end of month (Jan 2009). Great place for all types of cables too.

I couldn't find that on the Monoprice.com site. Where did you find it?
thanks.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #176 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

If they did do something that like it wouldn't be the first time its happened. Top of the line products such as the MacPro don't always get the latest and greatest first.

True enough, but Apple targets FW800 for the higher end products regardless of release schedule, and the same would be true of eSATA and as was stated earlier, eSATA is generally used by the higher end user. The highest end user would use a full size PCI card with hardware RAID capabilities and plain old eSATA would be used by software based RAID systems, perhaps in conjunction with the 4 internal drives in a Mac Pro.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #177 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaflo View Post

Wonderful, but I don't need VGA. S-video, composite, etc, are not supported with DP. Many people still use these connections.

Sorry, when you said analog projector, I assumed a data projector, not a TV projector. I'm familiar with data projectors with DVI or VGA inputs.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #178 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How many of you people actually own a Mac mini? Why get excited over a Mac that you wouldn't even consider buying?

I bought a G4 Mac mini for my father, so it's of just passing interest. I would not buy one myself, as I favor the Mac Pro with a hardware RAID 50 array for top performance. Just thought I could add to the conversation / speculation.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #179 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJello View Post

<snip>
Just for kicks, allow me to fantasize about a feature that the Mini almost certainly won't include, but which would be awesomely cool. How exciting would it be, if you could interconnect multiple Minis to act as a single computer? With Snow Leopard on the horizon, it seems that Apple would have the software to make this worthwhile. I don't know enough about the technologies to undersand the obstacles or the costs, but I haven't seen this idea mentioned, so I'm throwing it out there. Again, I'm not saying I think this will happen, I'm fantasizing about cool possibilities.

see http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/t...ogy/xgrid.html

Not a consumer client software function, but it is out there.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #180 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I couldn't find that on the Monoprice.com site. Where did you find it?
thanks.

A little google goes a long way

http://www.macyourself.com/2008/12/1...-adapter-soon/

not on the monoprice.com web site. By the way, they have great prices there.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #181 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How many of you people actually own a Mac mini? Why get excited over a Mac that you wouldn't even consider buying?

I have had a Mini under my TV since it was first released, since replaced with an Intel one a couple of years ago. It died a few months ago and have been waiting for a replacement (my hacked Apple TV has done a decent enough job of standing in short term)

I am still only buying however if there is Blu-Ray or a clear indication that the drive can be upgraded to Blu-Ray as soon as OSX supports it.
post #182 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

Sorry, when you said analog projector, I assumed a data projector, not a TV projector. I'm familiar with data projectors with DVI or VGA inputs.

I don't blame you, I thought that VGA was a standard feature on projectors, like effectively forever.
post #183 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I couldn't find that on the Monoprice.com site. Where did you find it?
thanks.

Found it in a web article. Hoping it is accurate since Monoprice does so many other quality items.
http://www.macyourself.com/2008/12/1...-adapter-soon/
post #184 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

A clip of some sort to make sure the Magsafe is secure? That is just nonsense. We don't have the necessary clip technology to achieve such a monumentap feat. Besides that, you're overlooking the fact that having a big ass external brick sitting on your desktop or floor when you have a power cable sitting right behind your Mac Mini it the other two LED-CD cables plugged in is a status symbol. Think Different, not logically.

Personally, even without a clip, I would prefer that, if someone kicked my power cord, that my mac shut down rather then went crashing the floor (potentially).

Magsafe snap in hard enough and your desktop setup should be good enough that magsafe should easily work with desktops.

In years and years of desktop use i've never once had the power cord positioned that it could possibly cause a problem.

I agree though: apple's aesthetic fetish seems to disagree with some sort of "clip" method. Jobs would be more likely to stick in a small power capacitor and automatically put your mini into sleep mode for 10 minutes until you can reconnect it or something.
post #185 of 250
I had a flash of inspiration. There will be two ports. MiniDP because of LED Cinema Display etc and it is "the future".

DVI because of HDMI ... Mac Mini is also some sort of Media Server. Apple TV to the next level, and Mac Mini as well, Mac Mini.

There is no good MiniDP to HDMI solution out there right now, or MiniDP to component as someone says...

AWW YEAH. This is how it's going to play out.

Play your PC or Mac games on your HDTV as well.

There will be software for Mac Mini to make it more "Apple TV" like.

HD Movies and TV Shows on your Mac Mini...?
post #186 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

There is no good MiniDP to HDMI solution out there right now

Let's see...a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter? That exists. A DVI-to-HDMI adapter? That exists too!

Problem solved.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
Reply
post #187 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How many of you people actually own a Mac mini? Why get excited over a Mac that you wouldn't even consider buying?

I need good graphics.. i never needed a new computer when the G4 mini was out.. and since then the intel minis have all sucked majorly on the graphics processor front.... I'm already planning on buying a new mini, cuz the 9400 is definitely good enough.... the intel video currently used is majorly a piece of junk for what i need to do.
post #188 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

The ease with which a magsafe connector can become disconnected is also a strike against it for desktop use. There have been times that I've picked up my MBP not realizing it was plugged in. I didn't even feel the magsafe come loose until I heard it hit the floor (the end of the connector, that is). The notion that Apple would "rig a clip" is just silly and un-Apple-like.

Wiggin, you made some pretty good arguments but you are wrong in your assumption that the mini power cord is a stronger connection than magsafe. It's not. Damn near every time I slide the mini forward to get at the back the mini power cord becomes disconnected. Whereas the magsafe on my Air stays connected during a lot of movement. It only disconnects when I move beyond the reach of the magsafe cord. Overall I would say that the mini and magsafe power connectors are equally reliable. The magsafe power connector would be acceptable in a desktop usage.
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
What goes online stays online. What is online will become public.
Reply
post #189 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Wiggin, you made some pretty good arguments but you are wrong in your assumption that the mini power cord is a stronger connection than magsafe. It's not. Damn near every time I slide the mini forward to get at the back the mini power cord becomes disconnected. Whereas the magsafe on my Air stays connected during a lot of movement. It only disconnects when I move beyond the reach of the magsafe cord. Overall I would say that the mini and magsafe power connectors are equally reliable. The magsafe power connector would be acceptable in a desktop usage.

Fair point. I've never had a problem with my mini's connector, but you're right that it's not the strongest I've seen. But just because they don't use the magsafe, that doesn't mean they won't improve the existing connector, either.
post #190 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

One simple little fact tells me that the mini will not use magsafe. Look at the picture here:

http://www.apple.com/displays/features.html

The connector is L shaped. How exactly would that work? Apple isn't going to put the port on the side of the mini, so it will be on the back. But in what orientation? They could put it along an edge, but then the cord is going to stick out from behind the mini, which would look ridiculous. So Apple won't do that. If they put it in the middle or oriented so the cable doesn't stick out like a rooster tail, it's going to block other ports on the back of the mini.

Excellent point. I hadn't considered the angled nature of the MagSafe connector on the new LED cable. It is designed to lie flush along the side of the new laptops and would present all kinds of problems on the back of a mini.
Quote:
So I suspect Apple will do one of two things. First, it could sell a cable that only has mDP and USB, no power. This would allow you to use the new display with a desktop Mac without an unused power connector dangling around. You could even even use it as a 2nd monitor for an iMac, for which there is no way the Cinema Display puts out enough power to run an iMac (or a Mac Pro, for that matter). In this case you would use the power adaptor that came with your mini to power it. The 2nd option is that Apple sells a cable that includes power for the mini, but with different connector on the mini end.

I think the idea of manufacturing and selling a separate cable for those who simply don't want the power lead to dangle is not at all cost effective for Apple.

Perhaps a simple plastic clip included with the mini that affixes to the USB lead with a metal receptor for the MagSafe connector. Kind of like the clip on the laptop power supply cable that keeps the cable from unspooling after being wrapped around the plastic wings. That would at least keep the power lead from flopping around behind the mini/iMac/Mac Pro.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #191 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJello View Post

If the Mini update offers two full size drives, Nvidia graphics and a quad core processor, then this is truly the long awaited arrival of the xMac. And I predict it will sell even more units than the MacBook. It will be wildly popular.

Yes it would be wildly popular, which is precisely why Apple has not and never will release such a machine. The LAST thing they want is their #1 selling model to cost $600.
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.
Reply
post #192 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The AppleTV is designed to be a media extended, not a PC. While the Mac Mini is designed to be a PC, not a media extender.

Except that the latter can do and be both.
And the former has evolved into an iTunes Digital Jukebox- great at providing a stream of unending income for Apple but not great at extending the consumer's personal media.
post #193 of 250
Quote:
The new model is widely expected to bow at Macworld and may be accompanied by a new iMac at the same time.

Again AI states new iMac.
Does that mean a refresh or a whole new design? I pray for a new design.
post #194 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJello View Post

Just for kicks, allow me to fantasize about a feature that the Mini almost certainly won't include, but which would be awesomely cool. How exciting would it be, if you could interconnect multiple Minis to act as a single computer? With Snow Leopard on the horizon, it seems that Apple would have the software to make this worthwhile. I don't know enough about the technologies to undersand the obstacles or the costs, but I haven't seen this idea mentioned, so I'm throwing it out there. Again, I'm not saying I think this will happen, I'm fantasizing about cool possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

see http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/t...ogy/xgrid.html

Not a consumer client software function, but it is out there.

I've heard that Grand Central will be able to use spare processor cycles of other Macs on the network. Like XGrid, but without the user doing anything. I can't find the link where I read that, though.
post #195 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Again AI states new iMac.
Does that mean a refresh or a whole new design? I pray for a new design.

There will NOT be a new design for at least 3 years, get over it.
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #196 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

How many of you people actually own a Mac mini? Why get excited over a Mac that you wouldn't even consider buying?

I own two, one under a TV running as a TV/Movie server to the TV and to an AppleTV in another room. as upgrade paths, Firewire is important to me.

I run the second mini for music, my Firewire audio box means that if the new minis don't have firewire, I either have to upgrade my Audio box (something I'm not happy with) or else wait for a quadcore iMac, which is another expensive addition. {been holding off on a quad iMac for so long now }

I am also interested in a mini for at least two relations.

but quite frankly I don''t give a flying fart WHAT power cable the new mini has, just as long as I can continue to use the monitors I already have.

--

oh yes and I'll add the apparently almost obligatory monoprice advert to my post
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
I don't see how an anti M$ stance can be seen as a bad thing on an Apple forum I really can't!

nagromme - According to Amazon: "SpongBob Typing Tutor" is outselling Windows
Reply
post #197 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

oh yes and I'll add the apparently almost obligatory monoprice advert to my post

OK, so we get maybe one in twenty posts in this thread where they are mentioned, and you're suggesting it's almost obligatory? It sounds like you're complaining, and I don't understand why.
post #198 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacPro View Post

see http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/t...ogy/xgrid.html

Not a consumer client software function, but it is out there.

Some university did xgrid with a bunch of iMacs to build like the worlds second fastest supercomputer (at the time). This was some time ago, I forget who did it. Xgrid rocks!
post #199 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I had a flash of inspiration. There will be two ports. MiniDP because of LED Cinema Display etc and it is "the future".

DVI because of HDMI ... Mac Mini is also some sort of Media Server. Apple TV to the next level, and Mac Mini as well, Mac Mini.

There is no good MiniDP to HDMI solution out there right now, or MiniDP to component as someone says...

AWW YEAH. This is how it's going to play out.

Play your PC or Mac games on your HDTV as well.

There will be software for Mac Mini to make it more "Apple TV" like.

HD Movies and TV Shows on your Mac Mini...?

That would take up too much space. Not that I expect Apple to do this, but if they did, they would have to switch to mini-DVI with mini-DisplayPort in order to fit things into the space of the existing full size DVI-I port.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
post #200 of 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Let's see...a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter? That exists. A DVI-to-HDMI adapter? That exists too!

Problem solved.

Physically yes, but apparently functionality is lost in that HDCP doesn't make it through based on feedback from people who have tried this. Not to mention audio is lost in translation and has to be cabled separately.
The MACaholic
Reply
The MACaholic
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple's next-gen Mac mini to get dual display support