or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources: 17-inch MacBook Pro, NVIDIA Mac mini due shortly

Sources: 17-inch MacBook Pro, NVIDIA Mac mini due shortly - Page 2

post #41 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

Actually, neither are the case.

I was merely anticipating the MacBook owners (potential and actual) not being happy that the entry level product could get FireWire whilst their shiny new laptop no longer has it.

Which is one of the many reasons why I doubt we'll see Firewire of any kind on the new Mac mini.

The MacBook has been and still is Apple's budget Mac laptop, so it was never going to get FW800 because it never had it in the first place. The Mac mini is their budget desktop, it's never had FW800, so I don't see why that would change if it didn't for the even more powerful MacBook. Space restrictions are almost a moot point as both the Mac mini and MacBook are very tightly packed.
False comparisons do not a valid argument make.
post #42 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Which is one of the many reasons why I doubt we'll see Firewire of any kind on the new Mac mini.

The MacBook has been and still is Apple's budget Mac laptop, so it was never going to get FW800 because it never had it in the first place. The Mac mini is their budget desktop, it's never had FW800, so I don't see why that would change if it didn't for the even more powerful MacBook.

The new Mac notebooks have space constraints, the new Mini probably doesn't. I think it is likely to assume that the new Mini will drop FW400 for FW800.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #43 of 119
That whole non-removable battery thing has got to be a crock. I just can't see that happening in a PRO-level laptop. If they were gonna go that route, i think it would have happened in the MacBook rather than the MBPro.
Besides, they're really not hurting for room in the 17" like they are with the 15". (Pretty much the same internal components, but with almost 10% more space.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #44 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Macbook-like enclosure? Surely you don't mean something milled out of a solid block of aluminum, do you? That would be ridiculously expensive for a computer in the price range of the mini and even more impractical given the depth of the milling you'd need to do. Besides, the mini doesn't need the structural stiffness the MB's construction provides because you aren't picking it up and carrying it around all the time.

I also don't think "everyone" is looking for the option to swap the optical drive with a 2nd hard drive. Only those of us with nothing better to do on a Sunday than troll around on these message boards! If Apple at least makes the optical drive an SATA drive and doesn't make it too much of a PIA to swap out, that would likely be sufficient for most of us.

Yes, I said Macbook like and not necessarily milled out of aluminum, but with an all aluminum enclosure and that would be good enough. The AppleTV would be a better example and exactly what I'm talking about. The whole point of the new Macbook is to produce greener systems and the Mac Mini could benefit from the techniques employed with the Macbooks (the mill work wasn't the only green technology they used).

The hard drive option was a rumor presented by AI as a BTO option.
post #45 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post

If they get rid of the firewire 400 port that would make it impossible to run a cinema display off a mini? My 30" uses the DVI, USB and Firewire port.

I was hoping the mini upgrade would be good enough to run Lightroom and Photoshop and allow me to keep my Macbook pro as a separate machine.

Am I missing something?

The cinema displays do not "use" a firewire port. It's just a connection to the hub in the back. If you don't use that hub in the back then you don't need to connected it. And as noted, you can use an 800-to-400 plug, assuming the next machine offers an 800. You will also need a displayport to dual DVI adapter to use a 30" ACD with a mini.
post #46 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps, it would be only the Sl-DVI adapter. The mDP-to-SLDVI is $29 and the mDP-to-DLDVI is $99. But I think Apple's current position not to include adapters and their move to DP monitors means that the adapters will be an additional cost.

Maybe, but the Mini is somewhat of a special case as it is meant to target switchers who BYODKM, and their M is probably DVI.
post #47 of 119
Quote:

The new Mac notebooks have space constraints, the new Mini probably doesn't. I think it is likely to assume that the new Mini will drop FW400 for FW800.

You missed this sentence of my prediction (probably because I edited my post right after submitting it):
Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post

Space restrictions are almost a moot point as both the Mac mini and MacBook are very tightly packed.
post #48 of 119
Quote:

You missed this sentence of my prediction (probably because I edited my post right after submitting it):

I didn't see that line. I would argue that the space constraints on the new MB and MBP are greater than the current Mac Mini. They don't even have to add another place for FW800, just swap the FW400 for FW800. The new uni-body Macs have all their ports on one side from the power plug to the Kensington lock. That is about 60% of the left side on the MB. That isn't much space. In either case... we'll probably find out tomorrow.
post #49 of 119
Quote:

I don't think the comparison you make is very direct. Both the Mini and iMac use notebook-grade parts to reduce size and heat. This increases cost while reducing performance.

That's nice except I didn't ask Apple for that. I'd be tickled to have a not so mini Mini that was cheaper and used real desktop parts and wasn't a ridiculous PITA to repair/upgrade. I don't need or want Aluminum origami. The mini case is a negative, not a positive in my mind. I don't want to spend $2K on a desktop. Somehow Apple thinks that means I prioritize style over value.

Maybe Apple should spend less suing Psystar and their ilk and more on putting them out of business. I don't mind paying a reasonable premium for quality. But I resent it when people do something for their own reasons and then tell me they are doing me a favor. I don't care if my next computer fits in with Steve's aesthetics. Skip the miniaturization, put in in a normal case using normal components and pass the savings on to me or upcontent the box (better quality parts, more RAM, bigger/faster disk, more slots/ports, whatever).
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
"Moo" said the chicken
"Cluck" said the cow
Dr. Frankenstein rubbed his hands together with glee
post #50 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Maybe, but the Mini is somewhat of a special case as it is meant to target switchers who BYODKM, and their M is probably DVI.

Which is why if the Mac mini ships with two video outputs, they would either be two Mini DisplayPorts (which seems silly), or one Mini DisplayPort and one full SL-DVI.

A mini-DVI port would be utterly useless as it would require a mDVI-to-DVI adapter, just as MiniDSP would require a mDSP-to-DVI adapter to hook up to a DVI monitor; at least with Mini DisplayPort, there is an Apple Cinema Display that directly interfaces with the port without an adapter. Thus, mini-DVI is out.

So I see two possible scenarios for the new Mac mini:
1) A single, Mini DisplayPort output with an included Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter.
2) Two video outputs, Mini DisplayPort and full SL-DVI, thus no adapter included.

Both seem possible and there's even a third route, which would be scenario #1 minus an adapter, but I'd think Apple would want a more affordable 20" LED Mini DisplayPort-equipped Cinema Display to go with it, as asking new buyers of a $600 Mac to cough up nearly twice that amount for the 24" Cinema Display would be a hard sell considering the entry-level iMac would end up being less expensive. If Mini DisplayPort monitors were fairly widespread, it'd be different, but neither Mini nor "Full" DisplayPort monitors are widespread yet.
post #51 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobtheTomato View Post

That's nice except I didn't ask Apple for that. I'd be tickled to have a not so mini Mini that was cheaper and used real desktop parts and wasn't a ridiculous PITA to repair/upgrade. I don't need or want Aluminum origami. The mini case is a negative, not a positive in my mind. I don't want to spend $2K on a desktop. Somehow Apple thinks that means I prioritize style over value.

Maybe Apple should spend less suing Psystar and their ilk and more on putting them out of business. I don't mind paying a reasonable premium for quality. But I resent it when people do something for their own reasons and then tell me they are doing me a favor. I don't care if my next computer fits in with Steve's aesthetics. Skip the miniaturization, put in in a normal case using normal components and pass the savings on to me or upcontent the box (better quality parts, more RAM, bigger/faster disk, more slots/ports, whatever).

I'm not sure I understand your resentment. It sounds like you are blaming Apple for purposely not building a machine a certain way because you want it. Apple is business, their "own reasons" are to make money, plain and simple.

Their market are people that want simple and svelte machines. If you want a cheap desktop that is fully customizable with standard desktop-grade parts you do have a seemingly unlimited number of options available.

The xMac apparently doesn't fit into their goals right now. I think that eventually they will have to shed the boutique-like nature of their business and start diversifying their product if they wish to grow, but their are many ways in which they can do it without offering the elusive xMac.

I like simplicity, thus I've have been using notebooks for about a decade now, but I am all for the xMac just so the "no xMac" complaints will stop and new "xMac doesn't have <insert>" will start.
post #52 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

Got one [Elgato EyeTV], it works okay, but having to transcode everything into iTunes to be able to watch on my AppleTvs spread through the house is a pain. I am sure some people like it, but it's just not for me.

2 possibilities....
1) Elgato uses Snow Leopard's OpenCL to transcode the MPEG2 MUCH faster.. take advantage of that graphics card!
2) AppleTV & iTunes needs to play back MPEG2 recordings without hacking. (I understand the AppleTV is easily hacked for that, but I'm not sure whether it can integrate with Elgato in any way.)
post #53 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

2) AppleTV & iTunes needs to play back MPEG2 recordings without hacking. (I understand the AppleTV is easily hacked for that, but I'm not sure whether it can integrate with Elgato in any way.)

Adding the codecs to the system is simple, but iTunes will not import many codecs into the library with their default containers. One work around for getting iTunes to play AVIs, etc. is to put it in a .MOV container or create a .MOV link that calls the file. I think the first one can be synced to an AppleTV, but the latter can only be streamed.
post #54 of 119
Quote:

I didn't see that line. I would argue that the space constraints on the new MB and MBP are greater than the current Mac Mini. They don't even have to add another place for FW800, just swap the FW400 for FW800. The new uni-body Macs have all their ports on one side from the power plug to the Kensington lock. That is about 60% of the left side on the MB. That isn't much space. In either case... we'll probably find out tomorrow.

I'd venture the Mac mini's space constraints are at least equal to the 13" MacBook's and likely greater than the 15" MacBook Pro's. The Mac mini is smaller in every way except thickness, which is mainly due to the placement of its built-in SuperDrive being on top of all the other components, rather than to one side or the other, like the MacBook/Pro. It also has been and still is the slowest Mac, save for the MacBook Air.

We're also ignoring the possibility of minor to major case changes, which could make it an even minier Mini; I don't see Apple making a larger Mini because I can't think of any recent product revisions that were larger than their predecessors.
post #55 of 119
All I want is an updated Mac Pro, because I am, well, a pro user. For the love god already...
post #56 of 119
Quote:

I'd venture the Mac mini's space constraints are at least equal to the 13" MacBook's and likely greater than the 15" MacBook Pro's. The Mac mini is smaller in every way except thickness, which is mainly due to the placement of its built-in SuperDrive being on top of all the other components, rather than to one side or the other, like the MacBook/Pro. It's also the slowest Mac, save for the MacBook Air..

You don't have to venture, just look at teh back of a Mac Mini. Then look at the left side of a new unibody Mac notebook. The Mini has a lot more space foor ports.

PS: How could the Mac Mini's backside port space be equal to the smaller MB but greater than the larger MBPs? That doesn't make any since.
post #57 of 119
Quote:

You don't have to venture, just look at teh back of a Mac Mini. Then look at the left side of a new unibody Mac notebook. The Mini has a lot more space for ports.

That's true, maybe I'm being a bit unrealistic.
Quote:

PS: How could the Mac Mini's backside port space be equal to the smaller MB but greater than the larger MBPs? That doesn't make any since.

I didn't say anything about "backside port" space, just space constraints in general. As I said, the Mac mini is smaller in every regard except thickness, which obviously affords it more space in some ways. But its thickness is mainly due to its SuperDrive being stacked on top, rather than put adjacent to (as the MacBook/Pro do), the rest of its components.
post #58 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

• If you are not a unibody MacBook owner but are nevertheless bitching about the lack of FireWire ports then you are offering what's known as a "baseless critique."
  • If you are unibody MacBook owner but still need of FireWire ports, then it was pretty much a foolish purchase.
At the end of the day, if you are a unibody MacBook owner but are not satisfied with it, you are in a tiny minority of MacBook owners.

I fail to see how an individual, such as myself, who was prepared to upgrade from his old MacBook to a new one and did not as a result of the new MacBook lacking firewire, constitutes a "baseless critique."
post #59 of 119
Quote:

So I see two possible scenarios for the new Mac mini:
1) A single, Mini DisplayPort output with an included Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter.
2) Two video outputs, Mini DisplayPort and full SL-DVI, thus no adapter included.

I agree, these are the most likely scenarios (and also most preferable from my point of view).
post #60 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Mini DVI connector will allow the mini to continue to cater to users who already own a display, while the Mini DisplayPort will offer support for customers of Apple's latest LED-backlit Cinema Display.

What is the point of having both Mini DisplayPort and Mini DVI? Mini DVI is no more compatible than Mini DisplayPort. They both need an adapter to connect to a DVI or VGA monitor.
post #61 of 119
My first post.

Getting back to the 17" MBP. I have been waiting for over a year for this machine.

I needed back in Dec 07, waited for the jan 08 refresh which turned out to be nothing but a small price drop for the same machine in Dec 07, an obvious sign to wait until a BIG refresh come June.

June came and went, so I waited again until Oct finally an update! which was a new design (love it)and a new graphics chip (love it) but not much of a bump in the processor (egh) and NO 17"!

So here we are Jan 09 (3 months into the Macbook pro product cycle) and the 17" will finally come out with the same specs as the 15 but with a non-removable battery?

sweet.

I am convinced it with be non removable (user) due to the "design issues" (screen and drive) which meant: with the new graphic card running the hi res screen all the time would make a removable battery (space issue with dvd drive) not possible.

Apple loves Removable batteries because they can sell more of them to people who need 4 or 5 batteries because of a trip or something, and will only do a non removable if the design just cant do without it (space).

So most likely there will be a small increase in batt life, (zzzz)

However, my PB 1.5 is going on 5 years in april, so if released next week I will buy an untested 1st generation 17" mbp with a new NVIDIA Chip 3 months into cycle with no other bells and whistles? Looking at the old 17" next to 15" in the apple store, yesterday The 17" looks huge compared to the new 15", you would think they could through something else in there, a quad-core or maybe a small drawer for loose change or something...

I guess I should be happy they are still making this machine, however I had hoped for more out of the 17" by now...I suppose it will have the new mini display port which I can plug into my new 30" display (also been waiting for) which comes out?..
post #62 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by small mustache View Post

if released next week I will buy an untested 1st generation 17" mbp with a new NVIDIA Chip 3 months into cycle with no other bells and whistles?

At least the NVIDEA and general design is 'tested' on the 15". That should mean a partial case of ironing out 1st gen bugs.

ps. Welcome to your first post eh!
post #63 of 119
Most pre-DisplayPort MacBooks came with a mini-DVI to DVI adapter. If Apple wants to achieve this whole idea of BYODKM (or whatever it was) then the DVI adapter is necessary.

Plus, iirc, DisplayPort to DVI adapters aren't cheap, are they?
post #64 of 119
Just a stab in the dark here...
What if the new 17" MacBook Pro isn't actually 17-inches......but one of those new 18.4" 16:9 screens that others have been incorporating into their notebooks (like Acer and Sony)?
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
You think Im an arrogant [expletive] who thinks hes above the law, and I think youre a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong. Steve Jobs
post #65 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotomura View Post

Most pre-DisplayPort MacBooks came with a mini-DVI to DVI adapter. If Apple wants to achieve this whole idea of BYODKM (or whatever it was) then the DVI adapter is necessary.

You can't presume every Mac mini owner is also a MacBook owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotomura View Post

Plus, iirc, DisplayPort to DVI adapters aren't cheap, are they?

Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapters are only $10 more than mini-DVI-to-DVI adapters.
post #66 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Just a stab in the dark here...
What if the new 17" MacBook Pro isn't actually 17-inches......but one of those new 18.4" 16:9 screens that others have been incorporating into their notebooks

Because both of those notebooks sell the 16:9 screens as being excellent for viewing fullscreen, HD movies (with the Acer offering virtual surround sound).

Mr Jobs on the other hand does not seem to think people will want to watch HD movies on their computers and thinks that Blu-Ray is a big bag of hurt so I cannot see an awful lot of point.

What is more likely is that Apple will standardize on a new screen size, maybe 19:2 or something and call in AppleView. This he would tell us is greatly improved and the future of movie viewing and then all the Apple fans can come on here and tell us what a genius he is for bucking the boring old trend of 16:9 while they wait patiently for Hollywood to start releasing poor quality "HD" download versions of movies in 19:2 format.
post #67 of 119
I'm thrilled that apple is going to keep firewire on the mini. Two laptop hard drives don't make a mini server. 2 or more external desktop hard drives in enclosures, thats how you make a server. Thats a job for firewire and firewire only. But if the mini is $600 with 9400 graphics and firewire 800, 4 GB of RAM capacity and up to date processors.... I'm SO in there. If it has even more, maybe even cheaper, like maybe a BTO graphics upgrade to 9600 or better... all the better.
post #68 of 119
Quote:

We're also ignoring the possibility of minor to major case changes, which could make it an even minier Mini; I don't see Apple making a larger Mini because I can't think of any recent product revisions that were larger than their predecessors.

There is no reason whatsoever why the new Mac Mini would not be a new design. I am kind of expecting it to be different.

But I do hope that Apple have got rid of this curious obsession with making things smaller. I would actually love it if the Mini was slightly bigger.

I am still hopeful of a new product however that is a version of the Mini but aimed towards sticking under your TV set. Something that I can watch my existing collection on without hacking.
post #69 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Except that no display with a Mini DVI connector exists (but at least one with a Mini Displayport). Sure, Mini DVI to DVI adaptors are cheaper and actually available (compared to Mini DP to DVI adaptors). But why apart from a few saved square millimetres one would choose a Mini-DVI over a DVI port is beyond me (on a 13" laptop on argue about this but not on a desktop not even a compact one like the Mac mini, make it 1 millimetre higher and wider, nobody will notice and include a standard DVI port).

I guess we won't know if its a space issue until the first pictures of a teardown are posted.

Honestly, its not the mini-DVI or mini-DP connectors that bother me, its that they require a fugly dongle-type connector to use a standard cord. I wish monoprice.com or someone would make actual 6'/2m (or whatever) cables with the mini connectors on one side and standard connectors on the other.

Seriously if you can make an adapter with a 3" cable, how much harder is to make a cable of an appropriate length?

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

post #70 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

But I do hope that Apple have got rid of this curious obsession with making things smaller. I would actually love it if the Mini was slightly bigger.

Well looking at the last few products they've introduced - the thinner MacBooks/Pros, the thinner iPod nano and touch, and the impressively thin MacBook Air - I can only see the Mac mini getting smaller. That's why it's called the mini.
post #71 of 119
Quote:

Well looking at the last few products they've introduced - the thinner MacBooks/Pros, the thinner iPod nano and touch, and the impressively thin MacBook Air - I can only see the Mac mini getting smaller. That's why it's called the mini.

There is a car called the Mini too but in the case of that it has actually been getting bigger with each revision. BMW have realised that while people love the idea of a Mini they also want it to be more functional and get that perceived value for money. So it gets bigger with much better components inside. But guess what? It's still called the Mini!
post #72 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I wish monoprice.com or someone would make actual 6'/2m (or whatever) cables with the mini connectors on one side and standard connectors on the other.

They are - it takes time to tool up! 1/16 is when the mini-dp to VGA is supposed to be out, and around the end of the month for DVI and HDMI. In case people forgot, Apple released mini-DP for free - plenty of manufacturers should be tooling up.

I also hope it catches on with monitor manufacturers. Mini DP is allot less gangly then DVI, can support higher resolutions and also supports daisy chaining.

Like USB, Apple making it universal across it's line will solve the chicken-egg question.
post #73 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

They are - it takes time to tool up! 1/16 is when the mini-dp to VGA is supposed to be out, and around the end of the month for DVI and HDMI. In case people forgot, Apple released mini-DP for free - plenty of manufacturers should be tooling up.

I also hope it catches on with monitor manufacturers. Mini DP is allot less gangly then DVI, can support higher resolutions and also supports daisy chaining.

Like USB, Apple making it universal across it's line will solve the chicken-egg question.

Yeah and like fire.....wwwww oh riiight nevermind
post #74 of 119
Quote:

There is a car called the Mini too but in the case of that it has actually been getting bigger with each revision. BMW have realised that while people love the idea of a Mini they also want it to be more functional and get that perceived value for money. So it gets bigger with much better components inside. But guess what? It's still called the Mini!

Mmm, that's nice for BMW, a car company. Not exactly analogous to Apple, a computer company. With that said, the entire car industry is moving towards smaller, more energy efficient cars and likewise, the entire computer industry is moving towards laptops, which are small, portable, all-in-one computers.
post #75 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

• If you are not a unibody MacBook owner but are nevertheless bitching about the lack of FireWire ports then you are offering what's known as a "baseless critique."
  • If you are unibody MacBook owner but still need of FireWire ports, then it was pretty much a foolish purchase.
At the end of the day, if you are a unibody MacBook owner but are not satisfied with it, you are in a tiny minority of MacBook owners.

You are forgetting a third group, those of us who *wanted* to buy a unibody MacBook but can't due to the lack of FireWire. FireWire audio interfaces are fairly common among musicians and the USB audio interfaces are noise-inducing pieces of crap as they steal CPU cycles for overhead at exactly the time the encoders need them.

post #76 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Although monoprice.com finally sells a mini-DVI to DVI adapter -- previously available only from Apple or Dynex (the big-box BestBuy "house" brand) -- they still haven't come out with a mini-DVI to DVI cable.

post #77 of 119
Quote:

Mmm, that's nice for BMW, a car company. Not exactly analogous to Apple, a computer company. With that said, the entire car industry is moving towards smaller cars and likewise, the entire computer industry is moving towards laptops, which are small, portable, all-in-one computers.

It was an analogy. Just a response to you comment that the Mac Mini's will get smaller simply because they are called Mini's. I was merely highlighting that other things called Mini get bigger with each revision. The name is irrelevant to whether or not it gets smaller.

If the entire computer industry is moving towards laptops then why are we discussing a new Mac Mini? What you mean to say is as battery life has increased and prices decreased consumers have been making a move towards notebooks to replace desktop PC's. But to say the 'entire' computer industry is moving toward laptops is not quite true.

And it is not the entire car industry moving towards smaller cars btw. Only what is left of the American car industry. Everywhere else in the world has been making small cars for along time.
post #78 of 119
Quote:

It was an analogy. Just a response to you comment that the Mac Mini's will get smaller simply because they are called Mini's. I was merely highlighting that other things called Mini get bigger with each revision. The name is irrelevant to whether or not it gets smaller.

Hah, now I understand where the analogy came from.

I didn't mean for the name to be a major reason why the mini might get smaller, just saying, if they make it much larger, it will cease to match up with its name. It's size differentiates it from the crowd while its specs keep it from cannibalizing Apple's more profitable iMac and their laptop line.

Quote:

If the entire computer industry is moving towards laptops then why are we discussing a new Mac Mini?

Because it's due for a refresh. That's why I said moving towards laptops, rather than totally done with desktops.

Quote:

What you mean to say is as battery life has increased and prices decreased consumers have been making a move towards notebooks to replace desktop PC's.

Yeah, I thought that went without saying. I didn't see the point in spelling out all the reasons why.

Quote:

But to say the 'entire' computer industry is moving toward laptops is not quite true.

Sure it is. I didn't say the entire computer industry is done with desktops, viva la laptops, did I? The industry is moving in that direction because laptops can serve as a satellite computer in addition to user's desktops, as well as user's sole computer. Laptops are the desktops of tomorrow. Apple realizes this, which is why they advertise the new Cinema Display as follows:

An LED display that turns your notebook into a desktop[...]
http://www.apple.com/displays/features.html

This is referenced a number of times on their site, in writing and (obviously) pictures, some with their laptops in lid-closed mode.

Quote:

And it is not the entire car industry moving towards smaller cars btw. Only what is left of the American car industry. Everywhere else in the world has been making small cars for along time.

Right - they're certainly not moving in the opposite direction.
post #79 of 119
I have an aging G4 that wants to be replaced. Of course, I can always just get by on my MacBook Pro as my only machine, as it is a Penryn MacBook pro and therefore cool enough running and powerful enough to be an only machine. But I'd rather have a desktop too. And the Mac Mini is the only game in town.

But I have needs. Specifically, it doesn't do me much good unless it has either FireWire 800 or eSATA, or unless Apple completely amazes us and makes Time Machine actually work properly over Ethernet and additionally enables a CPU in conjunction with an AirPort extreme to work by Ethernet as a server. Bottom line, I need a decent bandwidth connection to my external drives. USB 2 is NOT the answer. USB 3 wouldn't help much either as my drive housings don't support it.
post #80 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post

I'm thrilled that apple is going to keep firewire on the mini. Two laptop hard drives don't make a mini server. 2 or more external desktop hard drives in enclosures, thats how you make a server. Thats a job for firewire and firewire only. But if the mini is $600 with 9400 graphics and firewire 800, 4 GB of RAM capacity and up to date processors.... I'm SO in there. If it has even more, maybe even cheaper, like maybe a BTO graphics upgrade to 9600 or better... all the better.

I'm with you 100%. I don't even really care about the 9600 graphics. The 9400 should drive my 1080p HDTV just fine. If this is what they deliver I'll be finally upgrading my PPC mini. The only thing I'd add is can we please, finally, update the mini's wi-fi to N for heavens sakes! Not that I need it in my current configuration, but it would be nice to have it for future use if I rearrange things.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Sources: 17-inch MacBook Pro, NVIDIA Mac mini due shortly