or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › NVIDIA insider chimes in on new iMacs, mini and Mac Pro

NVIDIA insider chimes in on new iMacs, mini and Mac Pro

post #1 of 109
A recently reliable third party claims that Apple plans to launch some NVIDIA-based iMacs at Macworld -- including a possible 28-inch model -- and that Intel's new Core i7 platform may play a greater role in the Mac maker's lineup than expected.

Ryan Shrout of PC Perspective claims to have heard that Apple will have "at least" four iMacs enroute this week that use the NVIDIA MCP79 (GeForce 9400M) chipset that Apple itself has inadvertently confirmed through its own system files referencing unreleased versions of the desktops.

Two of these will reportedly be 20-inch models, with a higher-end version carrying the same GeForce 9600M as for the 15-inch MacBook Pro. Two 24-inch versions are also said scheduled and would use the 9600M in the base model while moving to the much faster 9800M in a top-end version.

Provocatively, however, Shrout also claims to have received word of a new, 28-inch version that would mark a radical break from its smaller counterparts.

Instead of using the 9400M as its foundation, the system would use Intel's X58 chipset and a processor using the Core i7 (previously codenamed Nehalem) architecture. As a result, it would not only include the four cores thought to be present in the upcoming Core 2-based iMac updates but would gain HyperThreading support that at times mimics the behavior of an eight-core system. NVIDIA at most would be used for dedicated graphics in the all-in-one computer.

Other systems are allegedly slated to get updates in the near future as well. Supporting both Apple's leak and others, Shrout believes some form of the MCP79 chipset is bound for the Mac mini but will be underclocked versus that in the MacBook and MacBook Pro, if faster than in the extremely thin MacBook Air.

He also believes Mac Pros will be upgraded to Core i7 architecture early this year; while claiming it will use a similar platform, the processor is more likely to be one of Intel's new Core i7-based Xeons than the consumer-grade parts. Even so, the similarity between the supersized iMac and the Mac Pro tower is described as small enough that the main difference will be the workstation's dedicated graphics, which Shrout hears will use some variant of NVIDIA's GT200 graphics card line.

Some of these systems may not necessarily ship to stores at or shortly after the start of Macworld Expo. The 28-inch iMac and the Mac Pro will supposedly be pushed back to February where the smaller iMacs and the Mac mini are more likely to ship quickly.

Whether or not this latest report is accurate is less than clear. Although he uses a suspected fake mockup of a Mac mini to illustrate one of his points, Shrout's insight was key to confirming NVIDIA-based MacBooks as early as the summer; the technology writer is now thought to have sources close to NVIDIA, which is now effectively Apple's premier partner for mainboards and graphics.

With Phil Schiller's opening keynote just two days away, and AppleInsider's own sources anticipating Mac minis in the near future, these latest claims should be tested soon.
post #2 of 109
Wow, 28"! That's getting pretty hefty there. It must have a wider stand than even the 24" iMac.

With quad cores it must employ some new cooling architecture as rumored.
post #3 of 109
How about a 17" for those who don't need more than that?

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #4 of 109
Aha..... it is slowly, but surely, emerging that Apple has some pretty big stuff up its sleeve for MWSF09, as some of us have predicted.

It was obvious that there could have been no better way to ease Phil Schiller's debut (and SJ's absence).
post #5 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

How about a 17" for those who don't need more than that?

19" 22" 24" 28" would be sweet though

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

Nov '09 | iMac 21.5" C2D 3.06 Ghz | Intel 330 240GB SSD | ATI

Sep '12| Toshiba 14" 1366 x 768! | i5 3rd Gen 6GB| Intel x25-m 120GB SSD | Win 7|  Viewsonic VX2255wmb 22" LCD
iPhone 4S| iPad 2 wifi

post #6 of 109
22" & 28" is enough choice [for me].

I wonder if the rumored 28" will have IPS panel and LED backlighting like the 24" Cinema display.
post #7 of 109
I would love a quad-core, Core i7 based iMac. 4G of RAM and a fixed System drive and slide-out removable Time Machine drive, preconfigured that way from the factory.

But it would have to be 24", as 28 is just too big/bright, too much sensory stimulus for me.
post #8 of 109
28"? Sounds ridiculous. I'm more likely to believe in the actual TV version of AppleTV rumor instead.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

post #9 of 109
Dwight Shrout's image of the supposed new Mac mini is interesting.

My first thought is that it's clearly fake as why would it need a pop top like thick, stubby MacBook?

Then I thought about it a little more... Currently, the backside of the Mac Mini uses a significant portion for cooling vents. If the image above were to be true, the entire rim around the top could be used for cooling, which would seem to allow for considerably better cooling from a much greater area of vents that are more evenly spread abound the device, as opposed to just having them on the back.

Then I thought that optical drive in the center is all wrong as that would seperate the MoBo and HDD.

Then I thought about that a little more... The old swivel head iMac had the optical drive between the MoBo and HDD (getting to that HDD was a complain PITA!), so I can't see why Apple couldn't put the MoBo on the bottom, then the optical drive, then a 2.5: HDD.

If this pic is true, then Apple is moving away from the xMac as this is an even smaller setup.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #10 of 109
That's all fine and dandy, but when do we get a nice 30 inch LED cinema display?
post #11 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

28"? Sounds ridiculous. I'm more likely to believe in the actual TV version of AppleTV rumor instead.

For once I have to disagree with you. Apple making TVs or TVs with AppleTV's integrated is not advantageous for them. Their are so many sizes and types that people use for Apple to be able to focus on the most profitable with a limited selection. And I don't 28" is anywhere near the most common size for consumers today, much less the next 6 months from now.
post #12 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim68 View Post

That's all fine and dandy, but when do we get a nice 30 inch LED cinema display?

If the iMac is going to be 28", I would hope that we'll see new ACDs as well, and hopefully at sized greater than 30".
post #13 of 109
replacing my 16-month old 24-inch iMac with a 28-inch one.

Suddenly, 24-inches seems so small.

I hope for:
28-inch high resolution
8 GB RAM
LED backlight
post #14 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

replacing my 16-month old 24-inch iMac with a 28-inch one.

Suddenly, 24-inches seems so small.

I hope for:
28-inch high resolution
8 GB RAM
LED backlight

Let's hope Apple doesn't screw these models up with Gradient displays and uneven backlight issues... If they fix these issues that have been around since the silver iMacs... I will be in heaven!
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
iMac 20" 2.66 2008/9 model
Nano 3rd/4th gen
iPhone 2G/3G
post #15 of 109
Sounds like one hot show!

The question is what would the resolution be on that screen.

Dave
post #16 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Sounds like one hot show!

The question is what would the resolution be on that screen.

Dave

Or the housing of it.
post #17 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My first thought is that it's clearly fake as why would it need a pop top like thick, stubby MacBook?

Then I thought about it a little more... Currently, the backside of the Mac Mini uses a significant portion for cooling vents. If the image above were to be true, the entire rim around the top could be used for cooling, which would seem to allow for considerably better cooling from a much greater area of vents that are more evenly spread abound the device, as opposed to just having them on the back.

Then I thought that optical drive in the center is all wrong as that would seperate the MoBo and HDD.

Then I thought about that a little more... The old swivel head iMac had the optical drive between the MoBo and HDD (getting to that HDD was a complain PITA!), so I can't see why Apple couldn't put the MoBo on the bottom, then the optical drive, then a 2.5: HDD.

If this pic is true, then Apple is moving away from the xMac as this is an even smaller setup.

Once again, that image is SO faked. If any of my typography students brought me a piece of work with the kerning between the "d's" in "world's" like that, I'd fail them on that assignment. There is no way that would pass muster with any decent typographer, let alone Apple's print design team, ad agency, etc.
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
"I tried to get a tattoo once but passed out. It wasn't wetting my arm that bothered me, I just couldn't press firmly for 30 seconds."
post #18 of 109
Quote:

That looks very nice even though it might be fake. They'll need a smaller MacBook Air if the rumors about Dell's new laptop are true about it being thinner.

I wouldn't count the xMac out just yet.

With the Mac Pro looking to get an upgrade we should also see the xServer get a boost in the coming months. It'll be interesting to see how Apple supports the business market. xBlade is still a far off rumor that may never see the light of day.
post #19 of 109
Apple has to make our "jaws drop" this time. For so long its just bee same models with different stuffing. I really hope something revolutionary will be released. At least mac Mini should have total remake.
Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #20 of 109
I think an announcement of this caliber would show the world that even without Jobs, Apple's still got it and that its the company, not the man. Now whether you agree with that...

All I can say is I've been hoping for new imacs since I'm in the market to finally get one but I've been waiting until MW. If the 28' i7 rumor is true, oh baby, that's the imac for me. name your price apple!
post #21 of 109
post #22 of 109
Apparently only Apple hasnt realized that we are in a World Wide Recession and that price point with cutting edge features is going to make the analysts move the stock up or down.

Lets hope Apple has CUT the Apple Tax and is giving both performance with a price that matches its competitors.

OSX is great, but Apple seems to get more wrong these days than right. Lets hope Steve will get out of the day to day and turn it over to the new generation that understands this.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 48 year old person.
post #23 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by UkuleleSHIMA View Post

I think an announcement of this caliber would show the world that even without Jobs, Apple's still got it and that its the company, not the man. Now whether you agree with that...

All I can say is I've been hoping for new imacs since I'm in the market to finally get one but I've been waiting until MW. If the 28' i7 rumor is true, oh baby, that's the imac for me. name your price apple!

No matter how great the product announces are, the fact that Jobs isn't taking stage doesn't mean that Jobs wasn't key to the products themselves. The only thing we will be able to judge is if the keynote is better, worse or the same with the announcement of new Apple products sans Jobs.
post #24 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Lets hope Apple has CUT the Apple Tax and is giving both performance with a price that matches its competitors.

While reducing the "Apple Tax", better known as "profit margin" the stock may go up a little for short time, but the quarterly earnings would show a drop in percentage per unit sale, which could then drastically hurt the stock. It's a tricky game to move pricepoints. We'll know if Apple has been badly hurt this holiday quarter soon enough.
post #25 of 109
Quote:

While reducing the "Apple Tax", better known as "profit margin" the stock may go up a little for short time, but the quarterly earnings would show a drop in percentage per unit sale, which could then drastically hurt the stock. It's a tricky game to move pricepoints. We'll know if Apple has been badly hurt this holiday quarter soon enough.

Quartly earnings mean nothing to the stock market (Apple has proved that the last 5 quarters). Apple has dropped 57% (last I checked) and I don't care if Apple make a ton of money. My money is in their stock.

They are making bad choices for the Market and that is what I care about.
post #26 of 109
Quote:

Quartly earnings mean nothing to the stock market.

Quarterly earnings and projections help people determine if a company is worth investing in. If Apple's earning for calender Q4-2008 were to drop considerably you can bet that people will be selling off their stock in droves.
post #27 of 109
I don't think Apple should cut their prices, they should try to make the computers worth the extra. Bundle more software. Write some more iApps. Make OS X faster and more secure than Windows 7.

But I do agree they have made some odd decisions lately. The computers haven't changed appearance for ages. And I hope the rumors about web based apps are false.
post #28 of 109
Quote:

Quarterly earnings and projections help people determine if a company is worth investing in. If Apple's earning for calender Q4-2008 were to drop considerably you can bet that people will be selling off their stock in droves.

As I said in my last posting. Apple is making a TON of money and their stock has dropped in half this year alone (which is supposed to be their year).

I could care less how much money Apple makes. I care about my stock and Apple needs a restructuring from the ground up to make the stock go back up.

5%-10% of the end users care about OSX and 95-100% care about the profit of Apple Stock if they own it. If the amount of Apple users are correct.

I made a bad investment and have lost the chance to write it off in 2008. My mistake, now I either wait it out or sell as 57% of the market has chosen to do.

I'm not an Apple Fan anymore. I own an iPhone and a Dell computer that has more features than the top of the line new MPB and a total cost with shipping and a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with built in HDMI for $1,300.
post #29 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think Apple should cut their prices, they should try to make the computers worth the extra. Bundle more software. Write some more iApps. Make OS X faster and more secure than Windows 7.

But I do agree they have made some odd decisions lately. The computers haven't changed appearance for ages. And I hope the rumors about web based apps are false.

OSX faster is not going to change years of bad decisions.

Apple has made money on iTunes, iPhone and iPods and the people that are not aware that they can get a faster computer/laptop and better monitor for much less money.
post #30 of 109
Quote:

Apparently only Apple hasn’t realized that we are in a World Wide Recession and that price point with cutting edge features is going to make the analyst’s move the stock up or down.

Let’s hope Apple has CUT the Apple Tax and is giving both performance with a price that matches its competitors.

OSX is great, but Apple seems to get more wrong these days than right. Let’s hope Steve will get out of the day to day and turn it over to the new generation that understands this.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 48 year old person.

You forgot to add, "Who doesn't own or use a Mac."

Did you ever stop to think just how many parts of that "MS XP laptop" you have or the number of software applications that you use are because of Steve Jobs? Dumb question, I know. It must be pretty hard to see the flowers when you eyes are full of crap.
post #31 of 109
Quote:

As I said in my last posting. Apple is making a TON of money and their stock has dropped in half this year alone (which is supposed to be their year).

If only their was some economic crisis that could be affecting companies despite their earnings. Oh yeah, that thing I just said.

Quote:
I'm not an Apple Fan anymore. I own an iPhone and a Dell computer that has more features than the top of the line new MPB and a total cost with shipping and a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with built in HDMI for $1,300.

You'll almost always find an non-Mac PC with more HW "features" and at lower cost than a Mac PC. I don't beleive you about your keyboard with built in HDMI. That makes no sense so I assume that was just worded incorrectly, and that it's the Dell that has HDMI, but either way, Macs have DVI, so I am not sure what point you are getting at with that. You aren't going to find any halfway decent PCs these days that don't have DVI or HDMI, and soon DP. HDMi is more likely found on those marketed as Home Theater PCs.
post #32 of 109
Oh please be a Mac Pro update.
post #33 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Did you ever stop to think just how many parts of that "MS XP laptop" you have or the number of software applications that you use are because of Steve Jobs? Dumb question, I know. It must be pretty hard to see the flowers when you eyes are full of crap.

I switched to Dell in December and have owned and do own countless Macs.

Don't crusify without all the facts.
Have you seen my screen name? I should change it to Mac Used To Be.
post #34 of 109
Quote:

OSX faster is not going to change years of bad decisions.

Apple has made money on iTunes, iPhone and iPods and the people that are not aware that they can get a faster computer/laptop and better monitor for much less money.

Yet up until the iPhone 3G release in multiple countries the Mac segment was Apple's biggest profit center.

PS: I find it funny that you talk about bad decisions while using a Dell running Windows.

Quote:

Did you ever stop to think just how many parts of that "MS XP laptop" you have or the number of software applications that you use are because of Steve Jobs?

The last Mac presentation Jobs mentioned that the auto-freezing HDD was invented at Apple. I wonder how much of the HW used in PCs was influenced by Jobs, as well.
post #35 of 109
Quote:

Name one part of my Dell Computer or XP that Steve Jobs can take credit for?

Did you forget Steve Jobs stold the GUI from Xerox? That is your hero.
post #36 of 109
Quote:

Yet up until the iPhone 3G release in multiple countries the Mac segment was Apple's biggest profit center.

PS: I find it funny that you talk about bad decisions while using a Dell running Windows.

The last Mac presentation Jobs mentioned that the auto-freezing HDD was invented at Apple. I wonder how much of the HW used in PCs was influenced by Jobs, as well.

About as many os the Monitors, Nvideo bad Video Cards. iPhone 3G software that wasn't stable until 2.2.

How many other examples would you like me to state before you realize you are Steve Jobs and Apples Beta Testers.
post #37 of 109
Quote:

Name one part of my Dell Computer or XP that Steve Jobs can take credit for?

Did you forget Steve Jobs stold the GUI from Xerox? That is your hero.

You should get your facts straight before you start shooting off at the mouth. Apple bought the rights to the GUI from Xerox. Unlike Windows buying the rights to the GUI from Apple, right after Xerox brought up the lawsuit. They settled out of court.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

post #38 of 109
Quote:

I switched to Dell in December and have owned and do own countless Macs.

Don't crusify without all the facts.
Have you seen my screen name? I should change it to Mac Used To Be.

Not according to what you have already posted.
post #39 of 109
Quote:

If only their was some economic crisis that could be affecting companies despite their earnings. Oh yeah, that thing I just said.

You'll almost always find an non-Mac PC with more HW "features" and at lower cost than a Mac PC. I don't beleive you about your keyboard with built in HDMI. That makes no sense so I assume that was just worded incorrectly, and that it's the Dell that has HDMI, but either way, Macs have DVI, so I am not sure what point you are getting at with that. You aren't going to find any halfway decent PCs these days that don't have DVI or HDMI, and soon DP. HDMi is more likely found on those marketed as Home Theater PCs.

My keyboard doesn't have built in HDMI my Dell 1530 Laptop does. The Point is DVI is not a standard by anyone but Apple and I don't need Apple TV or an adaptor (another Apple TAX) to download Netflix via the Internet to watch Movies.

My computer hooks up to my Sony TV with 1 cable and I have both Internet and Computer on my 52" plasma and it looks fantastic.
post #40 of 109
Quote:
Provocatively, however, Shrout also claims to have received word of a new, 28-inch version that would mark a radical break from its smaller counterparts.

Instead of using the 9400M as its foundation, the system would use Intel's X58 chipset and a processor using the Core i7 (previously codenamed Nehalem) architecture. As a result, it would not only include the four cores thought to be present in the upcoming Core 2-based iMac updates but would gain HyperThreading support that at times mimics the behavior of an eight-core system. NVIDIA at most would be used for dedicated graphics in the all-in-one computer.

At long last, Apple is treating its iMac as a consumer desktop computer, equipped with Intel's current generation desktop CPU, a quad-core Core i7 processor said to be 20% more powerful than a quad-core Penryn.

Quad-core desktop CPUs have been available from Intel since November 2007, yet Apple didn't use any in its iMacs. Now that the Core i7 is available, it would have been impossible to ignore the discrepancy between Macs and Wintel desktops.

The Intel Core i7 desktop microprocessor was officially introduced on November 17, 2008. See:

Intel unleashes Core i7, beats itself @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40213/135/

Core i7 PCs launch with prices from $1250 to $13,000 @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40227/135/

For the low cost iMacs, Intel is also planning to launch three 65W low-power desktop CPUs targeting small form factor (SFF) PCs and all-in-one PCs in the middle of January 2009. Intel will launch the Core 2 Quad Q8200s (2.33GHz/4MB L2), Core 2 Quad Q9400s (2.66GHz/6MB L2) and Core 2 Quad Q9550s (2.83GHz/12MB L2) with prices at US$245, US$320 and US$369, respectively in thousand-unit tray quantities. See:

Intel to launch 65W desktop CPUs for all-in-one PCs @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40267/139/

The Core 2 Quad Q6600 65 nm CPU has been available for $266 since November 2007, and $224 since April 20, 2008. See:

- Intel to cut 65 nm quad-core processor prices for 45 nm @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36136/139/

- Intel drops second quad-core CPU into the mainstream @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37038/135/

- Have quad-core processors arrived in the mainstream? @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36548/135/

- Intel adds cheap dual-core, quad-core @ http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39135/135/

Building a competitive desktop computer shows respect for Mac customers, as opposed to taking them for granted.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › NVIDIA insider chimes in on new iMacs, mini and Mac Pro