or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › NVIDIA insider chimes in on new iMacs, mini and Mac Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NVIDIA insider chimes in on new iMacs, mini and Mac Pro - Page 2

post #41 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Not according to what you have already posted.

I've owned Macs from the 512Ke. Check my history on my posting and it's backs it up 100
%.
post #42 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

You should get your facts straight before you start shooting off at the mouth. Apple bought the rights to the GUI from Xerox. Unlike Windows buying the rights to the GUI from Apple, right after Xerox brought up the lawsuit. They settled out of court.


Quote from the article from

http://technicalconclusions.wordpres...istory-of-gui/

Apples contribution

In 1979, Jef Raskin started the Macintosh project at Apple. He identified a need for a computer that was easier to use than anything developed to date. Both the Macintosh project and the Lisa project were works in progress prior to Apples infamous visit to Xerox. Apple and Xerox were in simultaneous development of a GUI. Apple was aware of Xeroxs work because the founder of the Macintosh project, Jef Raskin had lectured at Xerox on the topic prior to joining Apple. Jef Raskin was something of an authority on the subject at the time. He had written his Masters thesis on a WYSIWYG graphical interface back in 1967. Likewise, many of the same ideas that fueled Xeroxs effort originated from the creator of the Macintosh project.

At the same time, it would be unfair to suggest Apple visited Xerox and didnt come away with any ideas. Clearly they did. The fact that Apples Lisa GUI was different from Apples Macintosh GUI should make that clear enough. But, the devil is in the details. Apple wasnt developing in a Smalltalk environment, Apple had resource limitations that Xerox didnt. That is, Apple had to make a GUI work on an affordable piece of hardware. Xerox was working purely in a research environment without the same hardware limitations.
post #43 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

The Point is DVI is not a standard by anyone but Apple

DVI was created by the Digital Display Working Group (DDWG) which was composed of Intel Corporation, Silicon Image, Inc., Compaq Computer Corp., Fujitsu Limited, Hewlett-Packard Company, International Business Machines Corp., and NEC Corporation.

Note that Apple was never even part of that standards group.

Quote:
and I don't need Apple TV or an adaptor (another Apple TAX) to download Netflix via the Internet to watch Movies.

And you don't need it with a Mac either.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #44 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Quote from the article from

http://technicalconclusions.wordpres...istory-of-gui/
[...]

First you say Apple stole the idea, then it's pointed out that Apple bought the rights, then you post a snippet of story that both were working on it simultaneously. How does that strengthen your argument? Because the author used the word "devil" somehow makes Apple evil incarnate?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #45 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If only their was some economic crisis that could be affecting companies despite their earnings. Oh yeah, that thing I just said.


You'll almost always find an non-Mac PC with more HW "features" and at lower cost than a Mac PC. I don't beleive you about your keyboard with built in HDMI. That makes no sense so I assume that was just worded incorrectly, and that it's the Dell that has HDMI, but either way, Macs have DVI, so I am not sure what point you are getting at with that. You aren't going to find any halfway decent PCs these days that don't have DVI or HDMI, and soon DP. HDMi is more likely found on those marketed as Home Theater PCs.

If you are new to the stock market a company can make money even if they don't meet earnings. Ask Steve, he made a ton on his illegal options scandal.

If you are not new to the market then you should buy a lot of Apple Stock and I wish you a happy 2009. You may have a Dell in 2010.

As far as HDMI is concerned. All home computers are moving towards the home theater market except Apple which hangs on to the legacy AppleTV which every reputable review has deemed it worthless and makes more money off of making adapters to push their new products. By the way my laptop was purchased by my company and was purchased from Dells Business Laptop Center because our new computers in the board room have HDMI meaning no IT required to have a meeting.
post #46 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

DVI was created by the Digital Display Working Group (DDWG) which was composed of Intel Corporation, Silicon Image, Inc., Compaq Computer Corp., Fujitsu Limited, Hewlett-Packard Company, International Business Machines Corp., and NEC Corporation.

Note that Apple was never even part of that standards group.


And you don't need it with a Mac either.

Not one comuter in my office has DVI and I work in an office with 700+ computers.

Marketing may have them but they are on their own network because they can't hook up to our corporate Network without DAVE and our corporate won't appove it.
post #47 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

First you say Apple stole the idea, then it's pointed out that Apple bought the rights, then you post a snippet of story that both were working on it simultaneously. How does that strengthen your argument? Because the author used the word "devil" somehow makes Apple evil incarnate?

Your words not mine. But if they were mine they would be Steve not Apple probably why he had an interest in NEXT. Another Apple failure.
post #48 of 109
Veddy intersink.
post #49 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

If you are new to the stock market a company can make money even if they don't meet earnings. Ask Steve, he made a ton on his illegal options scandal.

Confirm or shut up.
post #50 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Name one part of my Dell Computer or XP that Steve Jobs can take credit for?

The trackpad.

How about USB. It was Apple that made it universal.

Firewire.

Word. Excel. Acrobat. iTunes. Photoshop. Illustrator. QuarkXPress. TrueType. QuickTime. Made for, by or without Apple they wouldn't exist.
post #51 of 109
Intel's X58 chipset is supposed to support SLI and Crossfire. So how about getting these technologies in the Mac Pro, which is supposed to be an advanced, high end graphics machine?
post #52 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

As I said in my last posting. Apple is making a TON of money and their stock has dropped in half this year alone (which is supposed to be their year).

I could care less how much money Apple makes. I care about my stock and Apple needs a restructuring from the ground up to make the stock go back up.

5%-10% of the end users care about OSX and 95-100% care about the profit of Apple Stock if they own it. If the amount of Apple users are correct.

I made a bad investment and have lost the chance to write it off in 2008. My mistake, now I either wait it out or sell as 57% of the market has chosen to do.

I'm not an Apple Fan anymore. I own an iPhone and a Dell computer that has more features than the top of the line new MPB and a total cost with shipping and a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with built in HDMI for $1,300.

so how's your dell stock doing these days?
post #53 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Apparently only Apple hasnt realized that we are in a World Wide Recession and that price point with cutting edge features is going to make the analysts move the stock up or down.

Lets hope Apple has CUT the Apple Tax and is giving both performance with a price that matches its competitors.

OSX is great, but Apple seems to get more wrong these days than right. Lets hope Steve will get out of the day to day and turn it over to the new generation that understands this.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 48 year old person.

The competitors still have to match what Apple offer, not the other way around.
post #54 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Wow, 28"! That's getting pretty hefty there. It must have a wider stand than even the 24" iMac.

With quad cores it must employ some new cooling architecture as rumored.

Not if it they use the quad model with a 65W TDP, like the existing high end model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For once I have to disagree with you. Apple making TVs or TVs with AppleTV's integrated is not advantageous for them. Their are so many sizes and types that people use for Apple to be able to focus on the most profitable with a limited selection. And I don't 28" is anywhere near the most common size for consumers today, much less the next 6 months from now.

Even 42" really isn't high end anymore, it's mid-range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Apparently only Apple hasn’t realized that we are in a World Wide Recession and that price point with cutting edge features is going to make the analyst’s move the stock up or down.

Let’s hope Apple has CUT the Apple Tax and is giving both performance with a price that matches its competitors.

OSX is great, but Apple seems to get more wrong these days than right. Let’s hope Steve will get out of the day to day and turn it over to the new generation that understands this.

Keep in mind this is coming from a 48 year old person.

Apple is still making a fantastic profit. As long as the sales are still ever-increasing, then there's no reason to drop the "Apple tax". Remember, this recession is already just over a year old, and Apple has still managed to increase their profits year over year for each quarter in the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Quartly earnings mean nothing to the stock market (Apple has proved that the last 5 quarters). Apple has dropped 57% (last I checked) and I don't care if Apple make a ton of money. My money is in their stock.

They are making bad choices for the Market and that is what I care about.

I think it's the stock market's fault for not seeing the value in the company, or maybe having seen too much value a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

As I said in my last posting. Apple is making a TON of money and their stock has dropped in half this year alone (which is supposed to be their year).

I could care less how much money Apple makes. I care about my stock and Apple needs a restructuring from the ground up to make the stock go back up.

5%-10% of the end users care about OSX and 95-100% care about the profit of Apple Stock if they own it. If the amount of Apple users are correct.

I made a bad investment and have lost the chance to write it off in 2008. My mistake, now I either wait it out or sell as 57% of the market has chosen to do.

The problem here is that Apple's business is actually sound. It's the stock market that's been wonky. If Apple was losing money, then I would agree that they need a reorganization. The problem is that they made money hand over fist in 2008 despite the entire year being classified as a recession. I don't recall an instance where stock holders demanded reorganizations of highly profitable companies.

Quote:
I'm not an Apple Fan anymore. I own an iPhone and a Dell computer that has more features than the top of the line new MPB and a total cost with shipping and a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with built in HDMI for $1,300.

Did you change your notebook platform because of the stock performance?

BTW: On the stock market, Dell is down about 60% from 52 week high. Why did you buy hardware from a company that, by your standards, obviously needs a reorganization? HP & Microsoft are down too. In fact, I can't find a single big name technology company that is *anywhere* near the 52 week high. Heck, the entire stock market is down from a 52 week high too. I don't see why Apple should be the sole target of your complaints, unless you made the mistake of buying into only one company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

If you are new to the stock market a company can make money even if they don't meet earnings. Ask Steve, he made a ton on his illegal options scandal.

You mean the one where the SEC has cleared him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

By the way my laptop was purchased by my company and was purchased from Dells Business Laptop Center because our new computers in the board room have HDMI meaning no IT required to have a meeting.

If people at your company need an IT department to connect a DVI to HDMI adapter, then your company has too many brainless buffoons. It is a $4 adapter.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

DVI is a major standard, if you go to PC enthusiast web sites, it's hard to find a graphics card that doesn't have DVI. VGA connectors shouldn't be necessary because it only needs a $4 adapter to get VGA out of a DVI port. DVI and HDMI connectors are largely interchangeable when it comes to computer video.
post #55 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Not one comuter in my office has DVI and I work in an office with 700+ computers.

Marketing may have them but they are on their own network because they can't hook up to our corporate Network without DAVE and our corporate won't appove it.

And my Dell 20" monitor has DVI input.

By the way, I'm slightly older than you and know enough to understand that many things influence stock prices. Most undoubtedly earnings (and expectations of future earnings) are part of that but not to be overlooked is general market sentiment which obviously is rather poor right now.
post #56 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Name one part of my Dell Computer or XP that Steve Jobs can take credit for?

Did you forget Steve Jobs stold the GUI from Xerox? That is your hero.

I think you've done well trolling these boards for 4 months, but maybe it's time to grow up and move on, eh?
post #57 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Not one comuter in my office has DVI and I work in an office with 700+ computers.

Marketing may have them but they are on their own network because they can't hook up to our corporate Network without DAVE and our corporate won't appove it.

Are you confusing DVI with DisplayPort?

I ask this, because DVI is a standard that is used in pretty much all computers at the moment - my work Dell has DVI out from the docking station. If your company has been using plain-old-VGA as a display interconnect, then I pity your employees.

HDMI is quite rare on PCs, and dying quite quickly now that DisplayPort has arrived. The very small minority of PCs that are media PCs will still include them, but they have a problem of being fugly, loud and running that terrible operating system called Windows.

I'm really sorry for you that you bought Apple stock at a (pumped) high just before a recession, but that isn't Apple's fault. Apple keep on selling more and more computers and iPods and phones, and making vast profits. It's just that the recession is seen by many fickle stockholders as being a potential short-to-mid-term risk.
post #58 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Your words not mine. But if they were mine they would be Steve not Apple probably why he had an interest in NEXT. Another Apple failure.

You are either trolling hardcore or one of the most...blissful people in the world.

Frankly you sound about 13 years old with your incoherent ramblings. If you really are 48 maybe you should reflect on the garbage you post and make a better effort to sound like an adult instead of a child.
post #59 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Intel's X58 chipset is supposed to support SLI and Crossfire. So how about getting these technologies in the Mac Pro, which is supposed to be an advanced, high end graphics machine?

SLI and Crossfire aren't that great. Either a good graphics card, higher end graphics card, or a Nvidia Quadro... One card is enough to do some serious graphix.

Honestly, I like gaming and PC and think SLI and Crossfire have their use, but overall it's more a consumer/enthusiast/marketing thing. For gaming I'd use it because I like to run my games (when I had my PC) at high (4x or more) anti-aliasing and SLI helps with that...

If you have the bucks you'd throw in a Quadro there, rather than SLI Nvidia 9800s or something. IMHO.

Of course, if you could SLI two Quadros in a Mac Pro.......
post #60 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post


Word. Excel. Acrobat. iTunes. Photoshop. Illustrator. QuarkXPress. TrueType. QuickTime. Made for, by or without Apple they wouldn't exist.

You're WACK- Excel if anything derives from Lotus 1,2,3 which had nothing to do with a Mac or Apple.
post #61 of 109
[QUOTE=beg;1357591]You are either trolling hardcore or one of the most...blissful people in the world.

Frankly you sound about 13 years old with your incoherent ramblings. If you really are 48 maybe you should reflect on the garbage you post and make a better effort to sound like an adult instead of a child.[quote]

He's either a fraud or he's been drinking entirely too much of the Windows Kool Aid lately. Not even Windows users defend Dell, that company is headed right for the grave and anyone with enough time to read a few economics magazines would be well versed on the reasons why. Windows computers offer you nothing more than the opportunity to spend more on anti-virus and upkeep from poor quality control than you spend on the actual computer itself.
post #62 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're WACK- Excel if anything derives from Lotus 1,2,3 which had nothing to do with a Mac or Apple.

Excel for Mac was released about two years before the Windows version.

http://dssresources.com/history/sshistory.html

Quote:
The next milestone was the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Excel was originally written for the 512K Apple Macintosh in 1984-1985. Excel was one of the first spreadsheets to use a graphical interface with pull down menus and a point and click capability using a mouse pointing device.
post #63 of 109
So, since I have lost the track , when is the day?
post #64 of 109
Can't wait for MWSF tomorrow! I've been waiting for some time now to see the iMacs refreshed so I can finally say goodbye to pc's and windows. Hell I might even buy a Mac Mini, I just want to go Mac. The only thing I'm really looking at is the GPU, but these news just made me happier

Now, thought I'd say something about the stocks...don't forget we are in the middle of a WORLD economic CRISIS. Banks and insurance companies are closing everywhere, not just in the United States...It's only natural that the stock prices come down!

Apple has been improving sales, they are a "corporation", their objective is to make money and so far they're doing it. They don't need restructuring, the stocks just won't come up even if they do it. And believe me, 2009 is going to be worse!

And btw...what the does the stock have to do with getting a Dell? "The Apple stocks are down, let's buy a Dell"? oukey....they're having profit, as long as that happens, there's no reason to buy Dell and use Windows, since you'll always have the support for your Mac.

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

Reply

---
iMac Early '08- 20", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 320Gb HD, ATI 2600 Pro, 4Gb RAM 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
MBP Mid '10 - 15", 2.4 Ghz i5, 320Gb HD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 4Gb RAM 1066 Mhz DDR3
4Gen. iPod Nano - 8Gb

Reply
post #65 of 109
Give me a pair of user accessible hard drives and a removable back where I access the DIMM slots in that 28" "iMac Pro" and I might consider it.
post #66 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

I'm not an Apple Fan anymore. I own an iPhone and a Dell computer that has more features than the top of the line new MPB and a total cost with shipping and a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard with built in HDMI for $1,300.

So how is that non Mac OS X operating system working out for you?
post #67 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For once I have to disagree with you. Apple making TVs or TVs with AppleTV's integrated is not advantageous for them. Their are so many sizes and types that people use for Apple to be able to focus on the most profitable with a limited selection. And I don't 28" is anywhere near the most common size for consumers today, much less the next 6 months from now.

Whatever, Apple will show us at MacWorld when they're there with their new Macs

and you'll still be guessing as to which word to use.
post #68 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're WACK- Excel if anything derives from Lotus 1,2,3 which had nothing to do with a Mac or Apple.

Excel was first on the Mac, and Lotus 1,2,3 was derived from VisiCalc which was an Apple II application and the mother of all spreadsheets.
post #69 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: I find it funny that you talk about bad decisions while using a Dell running Windows.



Well, he could own Dell stock through the same period where he whines about Apple stock.
post #70 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

I've owned Macs from the 512Ke. Check my history on my posting and it's backs it up 100
%.

As near as I can tell skimming your posting history you joined in September to gripe about all things Apple. Why bother if you were going to ditch the platform a mere 4 months later?

Your posting that you are X, Y & Z and owned A, B and C are not proof of anything anyway.
post #71 of 109
Quad-Core 28" iMac: in Apr '08 (in the Computerworld forums) I predicted a quad-core model, and in these forums last year I hinted at a 27" model, but I still feel vindicated. I told you so, I told you so!!!
post #72 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

If you are new to the stock market a company can make money even if they don't meet earnings. Ask Steve, he made a ton on his illegal options scandal.

If you are not new to the market then you should buy a lot of Apple Stock and I wish you a happy 2009. You may have a Dell in 2010.

As far as HDMI is concerned. All home computers are moving towards the home theater market except Apple which hangs on to the legacy AppleTV which every reputable review has deemed it worthless and makes more money off of making adapters to push their new products. By the way my laptop was purchased by my company and was purchased from Dells Business Laptop Center because our new computers in the board room have HDMI meaning no IT required to have a meeting.

Geez, can you get more things wrong than you have in this thread?

Look at APPL's performance vs the S&P 500 ad tell me it is underperforming over the last 5 years. Hell, it's only up over 700%. Dell in comparison is down 70% while the S&P is down 20%. In the last year both Dell and Apple are down around 55% while the S&P is down around 40ish. HPQ has done better and is down only 20% but over the last 5 years APPL has outperformed it handily.

If you had bought stock at all it in general seems you'd be pretty pissed off given your complaint against APPL. Try selling your tales of woe to RIMM shareholders. Their rise wasn't as good and their plummet just as steep. Even so, their 5 year has been a mere 250% rise...their 1 year 60% down.

If you were new to the market, you might have bought APPL last year on the assumption that it could do nothing but go up further.

As far as HDMI and the home computer market is concerned still only a few home computers have HDMI out. Almost all have DVI out because that's the default on graphics cards.

Finally, Steve has made a ton of money from making APPL a strong company, not the dying wreck it was when he came back. I find it good that APPL is making a ton of money because I invest for the long term and so long as sales are increasing YOY the current margins are just fine.
post #73 of 109
A 28" with an i7 would be nice. Though a 9800 GPU is just a 8800. They use the same core. I would hope for a Nvidia GT260 or 280.

Then it would be a worthy upgrade for me all around.

But what I really hope for is for power in the mini. Not an underclocked chipset but rather quite the opposite. Maybe not realistic, but I can dream.
post #74 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

The trackpad.

How about USB. It was Apple that made it universal.

Firewire.

Word. Excel. Acrobat. iTunes. Photoshop. Illustrator. QuarkXPress. TrueType. QuickTime. Made for, by or without Apple they wouldn't exist.

iTunes sucks, especially on Windows.

The touchpad was used on the Apollo's keaboard. Psion also had a similar device that used touch to replace a mouse. You give Apple way to much credit, sure they were one of the first popular computers and thus their laptop would use this commonsense technology first utilized elsewhere.

In fact I think Apple owes alot to Microsoft. Without Microsoft (or a similar software company) having decided to license software to any computer maker, prices still would be high. Apple to stay competitive has lowered prices. Microsoft's work has really made computer mass market. In addition of course to Microsoft helping Apple out financially as well as not ditching the platform and continueing to offer Office for Mac.

Microsoft never intended to create Office Software and had innitially asked for someone else to create that software for Windows. But they eventually decided to create it themselves and have done a damn good job at it. So what if they released on a Apple first, the development was there and if Apple hadn't existed it would have been released on Windows.

I think Firewire is really the only think important you can really attribute to Apple, and they are now killing it. USB on the other hand was created by Intel, Compaq, Microsoft, IBM etc.. NOT APPLE.

Quicktime is propietary, and didn't die like RealPlayer because of the cult Apple following in design. But better alternatives exists that allow you to save files without charging you for the pleasure.

I'll give you Adobe, but I don't see why I need to worship Steve Jobs over it. In fact a large part of the OS X platform is borrowed. Just look at open source Darwin.

While Apple has given to the tech community, overall its been less that what others have given. Thats not to say Apple is bad or their computers are bad or their OS is bad. In fact they work great. But to say that because you use Windows XP or Vista that you owe something to Apple is horribly wrong. I dare say if Apple had never existed that someone would have come along and made software like Photoshop eventually. On the other hand if a company hadn't decided to screw IBM and make an x86 OS (or really any other platform) available to any hardware manufacture we would still be paying alot more due to the lack of competition.

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply

Nokia Lumia 920, iPhone, Surface RT, Intel i3 Desktop with Windows 7 & Hackintosh, Power Cube G4

Reply
post #75 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

SLI and Crossfire aren't that great. Either a good graphics card, higher end graphics card, or a Nvidia Quadro... One card is enough to do some serious graphix.

Honestly, I like gaming and PC and think SLI and Crossfire have their use, but overall it's more a consumer/enthusiast/marketing thing. For gaming I'd use it because I like to run my games (when I had my PC) at high (4x or more) anti-aliasing and SLI helps with that...

If you have the bucks you'd throw in a Quadro there, rather than SLI Nvidia 9800s or something. IMHO.

Of course, if you could SLI two Quadros in a Mac Pro.......

And that's why the Mac Pro needs SLI and Crossfire. What if people want more power than a single Quadro card offers? Quadro SLI is available on PC's but not Macs.
post #76 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And that's why the Mac Pro needs SLI and Crossfire. What if people want more power than a single Quadro card offers? Quadro SLI is available on PC's but not Macs.

With all the attention given to OpenCL & CUDA, i wonder if this is not what Apple intends on delivering with the next Mac Pro update.
post #77 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

iTunes sucks, especially on Windows.

The touchpad was used on the Apollo's keaboard. Psion also had a similar device that used touch to replace a mouse. You give Apple way to much credit, sure they were one of the first popular computers and thus their laptop would use this commonsense technology first utilized elsewhere.

In fact I think Apple owes alot to Microsoft. Without Microsoft (or a similar software company) having decided to license software to any computer maker, prices still would be high. Apple to stay competitive has lowered prices. Microsoft's work has really made computer mass market. In addition of course to Microsoft helping Apple out financially as well as not ditching the platform and continueing to offer Office for Mac.

Microsoft never intended to create Office Software and had innitially asked for someone else to create that software for Windows. But they eventually decided to create it themselves and have done a damn good job at it. So what if they released on a Apple first, the development was there and if Apple hadn't existed it would have been released on Windows.

I think Firewire is really the only think important you can really attribute to Apple, and they are now killing it. USB on the other hand was created by Intel, Compaq, Microsoft, IBM etc.. NOT APPLE.

Quicktime is propietary, and didn't die like RealPlayer because of the cult Apple following in design. But better alternatives exists that allow you to save files without charging you for the pleasure.

I'll give you Adobe, but I don't see why I need to worship Steve Jobs over it. In fact a large part of the OS X platform is borrowed. Just look at open source Darwin.

While Apple has given to the tech community, overall its been less that what others have given. Thats not to say Apple is bad or their computers are bad or their OS is bad. In fact they work great. But to say that because you use Windows XP or Vista that you owe something to Apple is horribly wrong. I dare say if Apple had never existed that someone would have come along and made software like Photoshop eventually. On the other hand if a company hadn't decided to screw IBM and make an x86 OS (or really any other platform) available to any hardware manufacture we would still be paying alot more due to the lack of competition.

There is a lot of innovation, not necessarily brand new innovations, that can be attributed to Apple. Perfecting a technique and making it viable more often is more changed the course of history than creating it. MS used QT code in their WMP. MS clearly has taken cues from Apple for its OS time and time again. HW makers keep following Apple's aesthetics. Even the MBA now has at least 3 copycats that use the same 1.8" HDD, same SFF C2D, 13" display and are made to be super thin. I think Dell has a 4th one to show us as CES.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #78 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You're WACK- Excel if anything derives from Lotus 1,2,3 which had nothing to do with a Mac or Apple.

Visicalc must have been before your time.

Edit: as gastro said

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #79 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Once again, that image is SO faked. If any of my typography students brought me a piece of work with the kerning between the "d's" in "world's" like that, I'd fail them on that assignment. There is no way that would pass muster with any decent typographer, let alone Apple's print design team, ad agency, etc.

Yeah the gap before the 's' in 'world's' is clearly wrong as can be seen from Apple's version:

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/

A 28" iMac would be very disappointing. People don't need that size of display, nor should they be forced to buy one to get a Core i7 desktop. Perhaps some people were complaining they couldn't see enough of themselves in the 24" version so they decided to aim for a full length mirror.

If they do bring one out, it's a testament to the kind of attitude Apple take with things. People ask for a reasonable desktop-level computer and complain that the iMac isn't capable of offering it. Making a 28" AIO to prove otherwise is plain ridiculous.

What do they expect people are going to do when they get dead pixels or uneven backlighting? That piece of glass on the front will be very heavy for shipping.

Underclocking the Mini below a Macbook isn't surprising as we know Apple want you to buy iMacs but it's still pathetic if true . Still, I'd rather have one of those for at home than the iMac. Then I'll wait and see what the Mac Pro update is like for work.
post #80 of 109
I think this whole set of insider information is BS. Some things may be right but not because this source has any insider info. Sure, iMac and mini getting the MCP79; that was disclosed in the latest OS release. Mac pro based on Core i7? Sure, it's not a stretch to think Apple would go there. Core i7 as is provides DP functionality. But what is whack is the prediction for the 28" iMac based on the Core i7 and the under-clocked mini chipset? Plus, where is this fake mockup?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › NVIDIA insider chimes in on new iMacs, mini and Mac Pro