or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Digital file management firm points to 1TB Mac Mini refresh
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Digital file management firm points to 1TB Mac Mini refresh - Page 2

post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodymatzohball View Post

I think this is completely false. I really don't think Apple would put a 1TB Hard-drive in its cheapest machine first. I think that will be the last machine to receive such an upgrade.

Mmm... I dunno, re-marketing the Mac mini as a favorite tool for developers could be a good new direction for these. With all of the stories of instant millionaires created by developing iPhone/touch apps, you wouldn't believe the number of developers who are interested in getting into OSX ten now.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #42 of 60
Ars Technica had an additional piece of information:

"A spokesperson for SeeFile said the storage was internal, not external, lending some credence to the rumor that the redesigned Mac mini expected tomorrow will indeed have build-to-order option for two internal SATA drives."

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...mac-mini-beans

Here's some wild speculation for you....

What if Apple announces Snow Leopard with the option for the ZFS file system that allows dual 500GB 2.5" drives in a the hypothetical new mini to be addressed as a single 1TB drive?
post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Ars Technica had an additional piece of information:

"A spokesperson for SeeFile said the storage was internal, not external, lending some credence to the rumor that the redesigned Mac mini expected tomorrow will indeed have build-to-order option for two internal SATA drives."

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...mac-mini-beans

Here's some wild speculation for you....

What if Apple announces Snow Leopard with the option for the ZFS file system that allows dual 500GB 2.5" drives in a the hypothetical new mini to be addressed as a single 1TB drive?

Quote:
UPDATE: I got an email this afternoon from Patrice Gouttebel, Global Account Manager for SeeFile Software. She says, "I just wanted to let you know that we have several bundles with the Mac Mini, and the 1TB drive is external. We have no knowledge of the new specs of the Mac Mini that will be introduced at Macworld."

tftfy
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #44 of 60
HAHAHAHA I knew it!

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply

 

 

Quote:
The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

 

Reply
post #45 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

Ah, no.

Seagate currently has, and is selling a 1.5 TB 3.5" HD.

So if 3.5"HD's were an option than 1.5 TB would also be a option.

It's clear that "with up to 1 TB" says nothing about 2.5" or 3.5" HD's.

And as others have already mentioned two 2.5" 500 GB = 1TB, and these are commonly available today.

They have 1 drive at 1.5TB. Apple would never go with the highest end for a Mac mini.
post #46 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

UPDATE: I got an email this afternoon from Patrice Gouttebel, Global Account Manager for SeeFile Software. She says, "I just wanted to let you know that we have several bundles with the Mac Mini, and the 1TB drive is external. We have no knowledge of the new specs of the Mac Mini that will be introduced at Macworld."

Ah, the dreaded update. Well, she does pretty much state that Apple is introducing a new Mac mini which is more than what Apple has said.

edit: If it is an external storage solution then you have to ask the question if the connectivity is something better than USB 2. Could this lend greater credence to the FW800 rumor?
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

What? You can already get a 1TB drive in an iMac, and 4TB (4 x 1TB) in Mac Pro.

We are talking about the specs of the base products though, not what you *can* put in on the highest end build-to-order stuff. It's a fuzzy border, but generally speaking when someone buys an iMac they get a 250 or a 500 and the both for the MacPro.

The terabyte drive is particularly only an option on the iMac, not standard.

On the other hand, that might change tomorrow.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #48 of 60
WOW!!! And I'll even say it backwards - WOW! Talk about making up for neglecting the product for so long.
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

They have 1 drive at 1.5TB. Apple would never go with the highest end for a Mac mini.

It's a $130 7,200 RPM 3.5" HD, it is not "the highest end" it is currently "the highest capacity".

$30 to $40 differential between a 1 TB 3.5" HD and a 1.5 TB 3.5" HD.

Tell us all exactly what Apple would do then. \
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

It's a $130 7,200 RPM 3.5" HD, it is not "the highest end" it is currently "the highest capacity".

$30 to $40 differential between a 1 TB 3.5" HD and a 1.5 TB 3.5" HD.

Tell us all exactly what Apple would do then. \

Apple has previously had a tendency to not offer the bigger & better drives on their less expensive computers. Like when the Pro notebooks are offered with bigger & faster spinning drives, the MacBooks were offered with drives that were one notch slower and a few notches smaller. The BTO options were similarly limited for the less expensive models. You couldn't just BTO a 7200 RPM drive on a MacBook, or a mini for that matter.
post #51 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by emulator View Post

1 TB HDs are around $100 these days. let's start to tip how much the apple surcharge will be. my bet would be $300.

That's too funny- I automatically thought MacMini $1200!!
post #52 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Ah, the dreaded update. Well, she does pretty much state that Apple is introducing a new Mac mini which is more than what Apple has said.

edit: If it is an external storage solution then you have to ask the question if the connectivity is something better than USB 2. Could this lend greater credence to the FW800 rumor?

I'll bet SeeFile got a nice bit of exposure from the vague little press release today. They probably quadrupled their normal page hit count from people following up on the mini story. Maybe they'll even get some new business out of their 15 minutes of pre-MacWorld fame.
post #53 of 60
BREAKING NEWS: Mr. X (here on AI) says that Snow Leopard will be released TOMORROW! Mark your calendars!

UPDATE: Mr. X.... you idiot!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The smaller drives are even better than that on power. It's more like a notebook hard drive consumes 20-25% the power of a typical desktop hard drive. Notebook hard drives generally max at about 2-2.5 watts, desktop hard drives are in the range of 10 watts. The price of the trade-off still involves a higher cost per capacity, the loss of data rate and reduced capacity.

2.5" drives are not necessarily notebook drives. We have eg. A number of SAS JBODs with 24x 2.5" enterprise-class SAS drives that are far from notebook drives. Sun uses them extensively too.
post #55 of 60
FYI. Seefile would absolutely not have any advance knowledge of machines coming out.

Sam has a tendency towards the grandiose. It could just be an external HDD.

Or the minis are being modified in house. We used to buy up old G4 towers in bulk and restore them for sale, all of the work was done in house there, as well.
post #56 of 60
Nothing to see here move along....
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Reply
post #57 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony11 View Post

2.5" drives are not necessarily notebook drives. We have eg. A number of SAS JBODs with 24x 2.5" enterprise-class SAS drives that are far from notebook drives. Sun uses them extensively too.

That's true, but I think that's out of range when factoring in that it's going to be hooked up with a mini, which doesn't even offer SAS. Aren't those drives about as expensive as a mini?
post #58 of 60
So no mini update at all yet.

What a turdfest this keynote was.
post #59 of 60
Somewhere in California a skinny mofo is laughing his ass off.

"See I told you MW sucked"
post #60 of 60
I've been holding out for the mac mini... I was so psyched for today, and I'm so disappointed. I wonder how long we're going to wait for the next product announcement. Or, will they just silently release the update without fanfare?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Digital file management firm points to 1TB Mac Mini refresh