or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple introduces iWork '09, iWork.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple introduces iWork '09, iWork.com

post #1 of 58
Thread Starter 
Users of Apple's updated iWork office productivity suite will find new features in their desktop applications and a new online document sharing service at iWork.com, the company announced Tuesday.

"Millions of Mac users have fallen in love with iWork," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. Â*"With iWork '09, Apple continues to demonstrate that innovation is possible in office productivity software, and that creating impressive presentations, documents and spreadsheets doesn't need to be complicated."

Keynote

Keynote '09 introduces automatic, animated transitions between two user-defined endpoints with a choice of effects. Â*Called Magic Move, the new feature can alter the position, scale, rotation and opacity of any image, graphic or text. Â*New text transitions can "morph" text from slide to slide. Â*3D charts now support cylinder shapes, beveled-edge pie charts, new textures and four new 3D build effects. Â*iPhone and iPod touch users now have the option of a 99-cent app called Keynote Remote, sold in the App Store, that shows slides, presenter notes and presenter controls.

Pages

Pages '09 brings a Full Screen view that puts the focus on the document with on-demand menus, format bar and page navigator that only appear when the user begins to use them. Â*Outline mode includes templates with collapsible and expandable elements that can be easily rearranged. Â*MathType 6 support lets engineers, mathematicians and students add complex equations, and EndNote X2 integration brings comprehensive bibliographic references to the software. Â*Pages also ships with 40 new Apple-designed templates ranging from newsletters and posters to certificates and stationery.



Numbers

Numbers '09 provides quick categorization options by column that can be collapsed, expanded and summarized to help sift through large sets of data. Â*An enhanced function browser makes formula writing easier with built-in help for more than 250 functions, as well as visual placeholders with tips to explain each variable in the formula. Â*The new Formula List can display all formulas in the entire spreadsheet at once, and a single click jumps to any given formula cell. Â*Expanded chart options include mixed chart types, two-axis charts, and the ability to apply error bars and trend lines. Â*Numbers charts pasted into Pages or Keynote are linked and available to be updated with a click.



iWork.com

Initially a free public beta, iWork.com brings iWork '09 documents onto the web for sharing with multiple collaborators. Â*Linked to an Apple ID, iWork.com buttons are placed in Keynote, Pages, and Numbers. Â*The user can simply click to upload the document and invite others to view it online in any major browser, on a Mac or PC. Â*Viewers can provide comments and notes (but not directly edit), and download a copy of the document in their choice of iWork, PDF, or Microsoft Word formats. Â*A consolidated online list of all shared documents indicates when viewers have posted comments. Â*iWork.com is expected to be a public beta at first, then transition to a fee-based service at a later date.



Pricing and Availability

iWork '09 is now available at the Apple Store, shipping immediately, for a suggested retail price of $79 (US). Â*iWork '09 is also available for $49 with the purchase of any Mac through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

iWork '09 requires Mac OS X version 10.4.11 or Mac OS X version 10.5.6 or later, a Macintosh computer with an Intel processor, PowerPC G5, or 500 MHz or faster PowerPC G4, 512 MB of RAM (1GB recommended), 32MB of video RAM, QuickTime 7.5.5 or later, a DVD drive for installation and 1.2GB of available disk space. Â*iWork.com Public Beta is not included with the purchase of iWork '09. Â*Account setup and activation are required. Â*Fees may apply. Â*Internet access and iWork '09 are required.
post #2 of 58
My question is:

[Edit: Clarification - this relates to Pages]

Will it finally do automatic header numbering?

Without that it will continue to be near-useless for general-purpose business use, no matter how friendly and pretty it is (and I like friendly, pretty applications).

D
post #3 of 58
My Pages experience has been that it is the best word processor out there except for:
* lack of bibliography support
* lack of cross-reference support
* co-authoring with non-iWork people presents problems

If these three things are fixed, this product might finally be finished and I can use it. I've owned the versions before and kept hoping they'd improve Pages.

Happy to see that they included something for equation writing. I always just included the eps files so it wasn't too overly critical but very happy to see that added in.
post #4 of 58
Dammit, iWork.com. Where were you when I was in grad school?
post #5 of 58
iWork.com fee based? Give me a break... This is one of the most profitable companies in the world as is, they have billions and billions of cash, then they charge you 80 bucks for iWork, and then you'll have to pay extra even for the online version??? World to Apple: this is a recession, people are loosing their jobs, and Google offers everything for free and doesn't even have rediculously expensive hardware to compensate for that.
post #6 of 58
I just downloaded the trial version of '09 and extremely disappointed that the ability to print an envelope with a letter is still a missing feature. Seriously, when you right a letter you have to mail it in an envelope. I have sent Apple numerous feedbacks on this issue. Apparently they don't listen. I am the only one who thinks this is essential for business use?
post #7 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

iWork.com fee based? Give me a break... This is one of the most profitable companies in the world as is, they have billions and billions of cash, then they charge you 80 bucks for iWork, and then you'll have to pay extra even for the online version??? World to Apple: this is a recession, people are loosing their jobs, and Google offers everything for free and doesn't even have rediculously expensive hardware to compensate for that.

I do so love these posts that think that companies shouldn't be profitable or the suggestions that MobileMe and iWork.com should include ads to generate revenue.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #8 of 58
Looks like they didn't fix the text overflow problem when printing a spread sheet.
post #9 of 58
Pages is an appealing application from a designer's perspective.
Now, if they only add bleed and crop-marks.
bb
Reply
bb
Reply
post #10 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I do so love these posts that think that companies shouldn't be profitable or the suggestions that MobileMe and iWork.com should include ads to generate revenue.

I can't wait to download the trial and decide if I want to jump on iLife first or iWork.

Frankly I don't have a problem with a fee based iWork.com. Apple probably should roll it under MobileMe but if they don't I simply won't sign up unless it offers value.

I hope the performance is good for iWork. I can't wait to try it when I get home.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

I just downloaded the trial version of '09 and extremely disappointed that the ability to print an envelope with a letter is still a missing feature. Seriously, when you right a letter you have to mail it in an envelope. I have sent Apple numerous feedbacks on this issue. Apparently they don't listen. I am the only one who thinks this is essential for business use?

I am on the road. Can you tell me if Numbers has the number of rows and columns like Excel?
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post

Will it finally do automatic header numbering?

Or have the ability for headers/footers to not start until the second page?
post #13 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by delany View Post

My question is:
Will it finally do automatic header numbering? Without that it will continue to be near-useless for general-purpose business use, no matter how friendly and pretty it is (and I like friendly, pretty applications).

As a long time Excel user I disagree.

Numbered headers appear handy in Excel, mostly because they have always been there. They are also handy for super large spreadsheets, and as designators for Automator/VB. In short, I would say they are really useful for serious Excel-heads doing massive scary things with spreadsheets, but not necessary for the average business user.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
Reply
post #14 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

As a long time Excel user I disagree.

Numbered headers appear handy in Excel, mostly because they have always been there. They are also handy for super large spreadsheets, and as designators for Automator/VB. In short, I would say they are really useful for serious Excel-heads doing massive scary things with spreadsheets, but not necessary for the average business user.

Sorry - it's Pages that it looks like still does not have auto numbered headers that I was griping about. A bit more crucial for word processing.
post #15 of 58
Haha, that's right, it may be extremely useful when soliciting comments on my papers from advisor/ lab mates.

That said, I really hope the equation editing is well-implemented, there is a means for equation numbering, and the performance issues are fixed for large documents.
post #16 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I do so love these posts that think that companies shouldn't be profitable or the suggestions that MobileMe and iWork.com should include ads to generate revenue.

I never said Apple shouldn't be profitable. I said they could easily offer iWork.com for free and still be profitable. You really think Apple would go out of business if they'd offer MobileMe or iWork.com for free? It would be a nice move towards its customers, who are forced to buy top of the line hardware, even if they don't need it. (or go second hand, but lots of people are afraid of that)
post #17 of 58
Ah, well. Cheer up folks. There's always Google Docs.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I am on the road. Can you tell me if Numbers has the number of rows and columns like Excel?

I am not quite sure what you mean, but if you mean if it tells you at glance, then I am not seeing it.
post #19 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

I am not quite sure what you mean, but if you mean if it tells you at glance, then I am not seeing it.

Sorry, I meant does it have 64,000 columns and a gazillion rows?
Hard-Core.
Reply
Hard-Core.
Reply
post #20 of 58
Thank goodness for Google docs.
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Sorry, I meant does it have 64,000 columns and a gazillion rows?

My Rows maxed out at 65,535.
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

I just downloaded the trial version of '09 and extremely disappointed that the ability to print an envelope with a letter is still a missing feature. Seriously, when you right a letter you have to mail it in an envelope. I have sent Apple numerous feedbacks on this issue. Apparently they don't listen. I am the only one who thinks this is essential for business use?

Of course- it's madatory! No envelope? No good.
post #23 of 58
This is glaring too.

The title of the "Apple - Pages - Welcome Scree"

Yup no 'n' on it.
post #24 of 58
Besides being pretty and a quality application with more functionality, Numbers is still waiting to catch up to Quattro Pro back in the early 90s, Pages.app doesn't touch applications like InDesign, Quark, Framemaker and it doesn't have the consistency and power of applications like TeXShop, LyX, Kile, and other LaTeX/XeLaTeX applications.

I'm glad they finally got more Cocoa functionality with delegates and Services to allow cross pollination between applications, but for cryin' out loud: these applications are so far behind Quantrix, Improv, and countless other NeXTstep applications that it's clear they aren't making them heavy weight caliber applications.

Keynote is the one standout, because Steve needs it to be his application for presentations.
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dog View Post

This is glaring too.

The title of the "Apple - Pages - Welcome Scree"

Yup no 'n' on it.

Post a screen cap. Teh Steve should see this for himself.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

 

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Reply
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Post a screen cap. Teh Steve should see this for himself.

Turns out it's also a problem for the Keynote welcome screen too.

Looks as if the title text has a specified width that is allowed btu there is too much text for it.

Screens as you requested:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3255/...afa1e1.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/...91949b.jpg?v=0
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Besides being pretty and a quality application with more functionality, Numbers is still waiting to catch up to Quattro Pro back in the early 90s, Pages.app doesn't touch applications like InDesign, Quark, Framemaker and it doesn't have the consistency and power of applications like TeXShop, LyX, Kile, and other LaTeX/XeLaTeX applications.

At $79 for the suite, I don't believe these apps are trying to come anywhere close to Quark/Framemaker or InDesign. As for the LaTeX apps, I doubt many users even have X11 installed on their machines, much less the interest in creating documents formatted with tags. Back in the old SVR3 days I created many of my college reports formatted in nroff and troff. That doesn't mean I want to go back to those days

For me, these apps do pretty much everything I need, more easily, with more elegance, and for less than I can do with MS Office and thus iWork has replaced Office on my personal machine. At work I use NeoOffice when I have to do something iWork doesn't do, but I still (greatly) prefer the interface in iWork.
post #28 of 58
Downloading now...
Having error bars is great, thanks Apple.
Maybe iWork.com is to allow us to share with windows users. I bet iWork already runs on WinXP since the cocoa platform has been ported probably (Safari +iTunes), but apple will not release it now.
For me, an academic professional, iWork has replaced MSOffice. Much easier to generate reports presentations printouts you name it. It won't replace MS Office for now, but I find myself rarely using Office these days, and with error bars, hopefully very very very rarely.
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Pages is an appealing application from a designer's perspective.
Now, if they only add bleed and crop-marks.

and spot color and proper PDFX/3 support and right to left text and a proper selection tool

But then "Apple is listening to you, and the answer is NO! We are going to put more things on the iRack!"
post #30 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Sorry, I meant does it have 64,000 columns and a gazillion rows?

It doesn't need them because it deals with sections of spreads. What the limits of those is, is another question.
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I never said Apple shouldn't be profitable. I said they could easily offer iWork.com for free and still be profitable. You really think Apple would go out of business if they'd offer MobileMe or iWork.com for free? It would be a nice move towards its customers, who are forced to buy top of the line hardware, even if they don't need it. (or go second hand, but lots of people are afraid of that)

1. "Apple is well worth the money when you add in all the free software that comes with the Mac."

2. "Apple has to charge for the software you used to get for free, it is a business not a charity."

3. I you add in the high costs of owning a Mac it is expensive.

4. Back to 1… ad infinitum…
post #32 of 58
I'm excited. It looks like the two big huge gripes I had with iWork have both been taken care of: inability to do proper scatter plots with trendlines in Numbers; and no integrated equation editor in Pages.

/me fantasizes briefly that it was his feedback that was responsible for these awesome changes!

Ok, nuf of that. But seriously, this is going to make my lab reports so much easier to do.

Good birthday present! Thank you, Steve!

C
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
A Conclusion is the place where you get tired of thinking. - Lesicus Stupidicus
Reply
post #33 of 58
Downloading the trial now just to see one thing. Is the numbers performance better?

If it can handle fairly large tables on my PBG4 without lagging like the current version, I'm going to be all over it.

I think it's fairly obvious that iWork.com is to make it easier for people in mixed environments to switch to iWork. In my case, I have to get comments from my advisor who uses Windows and is very averse to trying new things of ANY complication, so converting documents with equations and graphics to and from word is simply not an option (he doesn't even like if I use a different version of Word, itself!). If iWork.com works decently, coupled with endnote and equation features (hopefully, they allow others to build plugins, e.g. better latexit integration) I will be switching completely to Pages.
post #34 of 58
lol, I always get excited when stuff I submitted bug reports about gets fixed in the next version. Makes me feel all fuzzy inside.

And many happy returns to you, my friend!
post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwingrav View Post

My Pages experience has been that it is the best word processor out there except for:
* lack of bibliography support
* lack of cross-reference support
* co-authoring with non-iWork people presents problems

well the first is covered by Endnote.

the third by the export functions and being about to iwork.com in multiple formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

iWork.com fee based?

lets wait and see what the fee is going to be. it is possible they may decide to blend it into the same service as mobile me so no extra cost. or it could be handled as a choice of separate membership for X price or adding to your existing mobile me for a reduced add on price. perhaps with even adding a small amount of additional space to your MM account.
post #36 of 58
Okay. Does anyone know if the animation in Keynote '09 will work through iWork.com on Microsoft Powerpoint?? It is so much easier to make a presentation in keynote, but the animations do not translate to Powerpoint. Which sucks sooooo much and makes me sad. Microsoft has yet to make a Mac compatible Powerpoint that has point to point animation. So, in order to have them I have to use my fiance's PC and I HATE that PC.

Also, I realize Apple is a company and their purpose is to make money, but would it kill them to have an Upgrade version for a little cheaper? Why are we forced to buy a full version again? If you want to use the new bibliography function in Pages (which would be fabulous) you have to upgrade to EndNote X2 (another 80 bucks or so). So, it's a total of $160. Why should I do that when I can just continue to use Word 2004 with EndNote X? However, if Keynote is now much more compatible with Powerpoint....I just might have to take the plunge and buy iWork '09.
post #37 of 58
Apple really needs to include iWork for free with the purchase of any new Mac like they do with iLife. I can't think of a better way to hook their users.
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyranay View Post

Okay. Does anyone know if the animation in Keynote '09 will work through iWork.com on Microsoft Powerpoint?? It is so much easier to make a presentation in keynote, but the animations do not translate to Powerpoint. Which sucks sooooo much and makes me sad. Microsoft has yet to make a Mac compatible Powerpoint that has point to point animation. So, in order to have them I have to use my fiance's PC and I HATE that PC.

Also, I realize Apple is a company and their purpose is to make money, but would it kill them to have an Upgrade version for a little cheaper? Why are we forced to buy a full version again? If you want to use the new bibliography function in Pages (which would be fabulous) you have to upgrade to EndNote X2 (another 80 bucks or so). So, it's a total of $160. Why should I do that when I can just continue to use Word 2004 with EndNote X? However, if Keynote is now much more compatible with Powerpoint....I just might have to take the plunge and buy iWork '09.


The answer to your first question is "no". It is the limitations of PowerPoint that prevent this. Micro$ucks needs to add the support - not Apple.

And, iWork (or iLife) for $79 is a hella deal vs. $500 for a full version of Office.
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Apple really needs to include iWork for free with the purchase of any new Mac like they do with iLife. I can't think of a better way to hook their users.

I think they've done a good job by making it $40 with a new Mac purchase. iWork is really fantastic and this new version really shores up some of the issues that many had requested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

The answer to your first question is "no". It is the limitations of PowerPoint that prevent this. Micro$ucks needs to add the support - not Apple.

And, iWork (or iLife) for $79 is a hella deal vs. $500 for a full version of Office.

I have no need for Office and that makes me VERY happy.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
Reply
post #40 of 58
I am trying out the iWork demo and these are just a few things that I really like so far.

Instead of saying Export, now they use Save As. (Edit: still has Export....Save As to a Word Document is new)

Added Open Recent button to the bottom of the Template Chooser

Keynote now has a menu item that lets you reduce the file size. It estimates the potential reduction before you give it a try. It works great.

sharing the files via email now greatly reduces the size of your original. I had a Keynote file in version 08 that was 21MB as a pdf. In version 09 this came out to 9,2MB. (I had some large graphics that I could have taken time to reduce but now iWork does this for me). And with this email feature it has eliminated the need to Export (Save As) a file and then send. So no extra files cluttering up your hard drive.

Scrolling over the templates to see all the pages or masters like in iPhoto is fantastic.

Seems speedier than 08, even on my 6 year old 12 inch PB.

Buying a license now.
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
Reply
iPad2 16 GB Wifi

Who is worse? A TROLL or a person that feeds & quotes a TROLL? You're both idiots.....
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Apple introduces iWork '09, iWork.com