or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Liberal Media Bias - Ann Coulter Drinking Game Version

Liberal Media Bias - Ann Coulter Drinking Game Version

post #1 of 253
Ann Coulter has apparently been unbanned from NBC and will be allowed on to promote her new book. As you can see from the video, most of her appearances haven't exactly been friendly. Most studies that look into the tone of political coverage note that Democrats receive overwhelmingly positive coverage and Republicans the opposite of that of course. Most people I speak to of liberal persuasion try to off-set this claim by noting that studies show more conservatives invited onto shows like Meet the Press or This Week. The first reply is that those shows are not news but analysis and secondly, much like this interview, the person is invited on to be attacked and ridiculed, not to share their position and be given a platform.

So in honor of Ann getting another shot at the Today show, I propose a drinking game. Anytime you hear the host ask if the conservative actually believes what they are saying or if they want to be taken seriously you should take a shot.

You'll be drunk two minutes in on most interviews.

For a second example of bias, I parsed a new Time article for you. (Hold the applause please) I know most here will keep their blinders on while the other half express concern for my health and my bubble while being dismissive, but here it is anyway.

TIME

Time Magazine wants to remind us that despite years of demanding every vote be counted for Democrats, it has suddenly discovered that Minnesotans have had enough of this vote counting nonsense, and we must now quickly move on and declare Al Franken the winner.

Quote:
Tom Scanlon surveys the scene from the bar he owns, just across a recycling plant on the industrial outskirts of St. Paul Minnesota. "You just get used to it," he says. But he's not really talking about the state's notoriously long and rigid winters. Scanlon, 63, breaks into a laugh with a slightly Irish lilt. He's talking about the unending Senatorial contest the state is going through. "It just keeps going on and going on." Indeed, in this northern state, patience is not a virtue it's a necessity. Minnesotans, nevertheless, long for warmer weather, and one clearly identifiable junior U.S. Senator. "I think [Republican incumbent Norm] Coleman should just resign," Scanlon adds.

I'm sure that there are plenty of bars and people tending them in Minnesota, but Time Magazine just so happened to find the one guy that thinks Coleman should resign to resolve all this. Did anyone care to ask him about the two month recount that Mr. Franken demanded?

Quote:
Two months after Election Day, Minnesota's State Canvassing Board certified the election results of the state's protracted U.S. Senate race Monday, declaring former comedian and Democratic challenger Al Franken the winner by 225 votes. Franken made an acceptance speech just hours after the Board met and the certification of the race's results put a temporary stamp on the two-month recount. Franken, however, doesn't yet have the election certificate needed to take his seat in Washington; and a lawsuit filed by Coleman threatens to entangle the race in even more months of legal wrangling.

That Norm Coleman, he is a "threatening" guy. By the way, we will let you know twice in a paragraph that this thing has been going on for two months already. It might go on even longer if that darn Norm Coleman exercises his rights, I mean "threatens" us all with a court challenge. I'd love to hear which definition of threaten we are using here that makes sense.

Quote:
By state law, a candidate has a calendar week to contest the results of a recount to a three-judge panel appointed by the chief justice of the state's Supreme Court. Coleman, who initially led the race by 215 votes on Election Day, filed suit the very next day.

By state law.... wait I thought this was a threat. I never knew that following the legally established procedure was a threat until now.

Quote:
Moreover, Coleman alleges 150 ballots were counted twice and that the State Canvassing Board incorrectly included 133 ballots that had gone missing in a Minneapolis precinct. "[Coleman's] legal theory is fine, he just has to have the facts to support it," says Guy-Uriel Charles, a University of Minnesota law school professor who specializes in election law. "I think this contest is going to be an uphill battle for Coleman."

Did you think it would be uphill before or after donating to Democrats this last cycle Prof. Charles?

The quote is curious because of the strange twist it places on the Coleman position. It states that the arguments are sound, but attempts to cast doubt anyway.

Quote:
Minnesotans across the state, from bartenders to farmers, say they are growing tired of the endless election, of watching a decision purportedly of the people turn into a legal free-for-all among high-powered politicians,lawyers and judges. "The politicians are going to decide it, the lawyers are going to decide it," says Dan Solem, 44, a trucker from Minneapolis who voted for Independence Party candidate Dean Barkley. "It's kind of a joke." Added Sarah MyTych, 21, a student at the University of Minnesota while stacking books a library at the University. "It just all seems like such a circus."

Time found two more testimonials from folks who now believe Coleman should just toss in the towel.

Quote:
But Coleman supporters remain steadfast that their candidate should contest the results. As they and Coleman argue, it's the legitimacy of the election that matters, not how fast it's completed.

Isn't it amazing that Time can find and quote three people who think this election should be over but cannot quote one person who thinks it should continue? It lists the position of the generic "Coleman supporters" but can't find anyone to personify that argument.

Quote:
When reporters mentioned the names of Senate Majority leader Harry Reid and Franken, Coleman's crowd hissed, jeered and booed. As Coleman left the room, the supporters chanted "keep on fighting, keep on fighting."

Look an unruly mob lead by that man who keeps "threatening" us with following the established and legal procedure. They jeer and boo but apparently can't say a single word worthy of being quoted by a Time reporter.

Quote:
When asked about Coleman's argument that all of those improperly rejected absentee ballots should be counted, Solem, the trucker says, "Well I guess they should count those. But it'd be nice if they just got this done and over with."

This "independent" person doesn't want the lawyers, judges and politicians to decide this but "guesses" they should go ahead and count those absentees ballots. Let us not forget that now that Franken has the lead, it would be really nice to get this all over with very quickly.

Quote:
Minnesotans, it appears, will just have to endure this recount like another bad winter.

They already endured the recount. How many stories did Time run in the last two months noting how Franken was torturing, threatening, forcing these folks to endure a "bad winter" of counting votes? No bias to see here folks. Just quotable, donating Democrats and faceless jeering, booing and of course "threatening" Republicans.

You're welcome of course.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #2 of 253
Coultergeist has a baby?

There was a thunderstorm in the CBS studio?

The audience was talking during this extremeleftwingnutjob interview?

Here's a clean copy of "Chicken Legs" at it's best;

Coultergeist is "Guilty"
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
post #3 of 253
Thread Over.

In Before Lock.

...and done in less than 300 words.
post #4 of 253
I recommend the much more common vehicle for a drinking game: drink every time Sean Hannity, Joe Scarborough, Lou Dobbs, or Bill O'Reilly speak a sentence on a nation-wide TV or radio show.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #5 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

I recommend the much more common vehicle for a drinking game: drink every time Sean Hannity, Joe Scarborough, Lou Dobbs, or Bill O'Reilly speak a sentence on a nation-wide TV or radio show.

(lifts glass)
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #6 of 253
Quote:

Can they really be nationwide? I thought they were just small, minority regional powers. Can you make up your mind?

How about we drink every time we have to hear the words "magic capital" to explain why a Kennedy who "um, you know" can't demonstrate her brain power hasn't been crucified like Palin.

Quote:
I know about “you knows.” I use that verbal crutch myself, a bad habit that develops from shyness and reticence about public speaking.

I always thought that Caroline and her brother, John, had special magic capital in America because of their heartbreaking roles in the Kennedy House of Atreus.

post #7 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

How about we drink every time we have to hear the words "magic capital" to explain why a Kennedy who "um, you know" can't demonstrate her brain power hasn't been crucified like Palin.

Well, you know, she was, you know. Liberal and Conservative.

Maybe if you unglued your eyes away from your Ann Coulter/Sarah Palin Love Shrine, you might have noticed.
post #8 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by @_@ Artman View Post

Maybe if you unglued your eyes away from your Ann Coulter/Sarah Palin Love Shrine, you might have noticed.

Maybe my unglued eyes noticed rationalizations and justifications within your links.

Jocelyn Rasmussen, a Manhattan voice coach, said Kennedy's verbal tics don't necessarily betray weakness or doubt.

"She's just inexperienced," she said. "It's just a habit, the way young people all say 'like' every other word. I don't think she even knows she's doing it, to that degree."

Tim Malloy, a Pennsylvania speaking coach, suggested this cure: She should learn how to pause and would benefit from coaching, or listening to some record

That is called pushback. They bring it up not to report on it, but to knock it down.

post #9 of 253
You're right, Nick, linking to a single editorial that likes Caroline Kennedy certainly buttresses your case that the media is very, very liberal.

Because no one is ever allowed to put editorials in the NYT that praise conservatives or criticize liberals.

Certainly Maureen Dowd herself never has a negative thing about her liberal masters, because it's not like she's a catty little gossip, or anything.

So, point well taken! I bet you can do this all the live long day!
post #10 of 253
Clearly the Time piece and TODAY interview were just figments of my imagination.

I added the editorial for some fun. How could I not because it isn't every day someone confesses to liking someone in their party because of "magical capital."

The real issue of course is who will we declare sexist in a year when someone from the GOP drops a CD with a satire song featuring "magical capital."

post #11 of 253
Quote:

Maybe my unglued eyes noticed rationalizations and justifications within your links.

That is called pushback. They bring it up not to report on it, but to knock it down.

The ones you choose to rationalize and justify your opinion?

Whatever. \

I don't like her, I find her aloof and not worth New York's or anyone's time for a public political position. She should continue using her talents and experience in legal, writing, editing and serving non-profit organizations. She wilts in front of the media cyclops.

She's always was a private person, NOT a politician (imo).

It's going to take a huge crane to knock that chip off your shoulder I guess.

BREAKING NEWS: Joe The Plumber Is Going To Israel As A "War Correspondent."

So plumbers are also part of the Israeli lobby?
post #12 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

(lifts glass)

(lifts glass)
post #13 of 253
post #14 of 253
Quote:

BREAKING NEWS: Joe The Plumber Is Going To Israel As A "War Correspondent."

So plumbers are also part of the Israeli lobby?

You forget he did that really mean thing during the election season. That mean ol'Joe the Plumber actually asked Obama about small business tax policy instead of just tossing him some nice softballs about his historical significance.

That puts him about ten steps ahead of the NY Times, CNN, Newsweek, CBSNews, etc.

post #15 of 253
post #16 of 253
Quote:

You forget he did that really mean thing during the election season. That mean ol'Joe the Plumber actually asked Obama about small business tax policy instead of just tossing him some nice softballs about his historical significance.

That puts him about ten steps ahead of the NY Times, CNN, Newsweek, CBSNews, etc.

Then this gig should help him top the 250k he was wishing for during the campaign. Well played Mr. The Plumber. Well played indeed.
post #17 of 253
Quote:

Then this gig should help him top the 250k he was wishing for during the campaign. Well played Mr. The Plumber. Well played indeed.

Geesh, almost makes you want to ask Obama about more than his historical significance yourself doesn't it?

Ask a hard question, get paid. Don't ask a hard question, go broke.

It really says something very clear about those who won't ask the hard questions. Maybe once the NY Times has folded they'll ask some hard questions then.

post #18 of 253
Quote:

Geesh, almost makes you want to ask Obama about more than his historical significance yourself doesn't it?

Ask a hard question, get paid. Don't ask a hard question, go broke.

It really says something very clear about those who won't ask the hard questions. Maybe once the NY Times has folded they'll ask some hard questions then.

I have to tell you that now whenever I read your posts, I hear them through Ann Coulter's voice.

You are to blame for this.
post #19 of 253
Why this inbred human canker sore is allowed any time at all on the networks is beyond me. The Fairness Doctrine no longer is in effect. How do the networks benefit by airing her vile, twisted spittle?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Get the lowdown on the coming collapse:  http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45010

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #20 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why this inbred human canker sore is allowed any time at all on the networks is beyond me. The Fairness Doctrine no longer is in effect. How do the networks benefit by airing her vile, twisted spittle?

[CENTER]
Because it shows firsthand how out of tune the right is today.[/CENTER]
post #21 of 253
I decided to sit myself down and write a letter to Ann Coulter to rid myself of these voices in my head.

Very cathartic. And I am now free of these horrible, horrible voices in my head.

Oh, and rest in peace Ron Ashton.

Goodnight.
post #22 of 253
Quote:

I have to tell you that now whenever I read your posts, I hear them through Ann Coulter's voice.

You are to blame for this.

I think you just like to imagine me cross-dressing in a blond wig while feeding you breakfast cereal while rubbing your back. Don't worry Art, you'll still get some reach around love whether I wear the wig or not.

Quote:

Well one they love trying to take a shot at discrediting her and to do that they have to actually agree to put her on the air. This is why the talkers all feature more Republicans. It isn't as others have claimed, that they are biased for Republicans. It is because they want to poke Republicans with sticks for ten minutes and say things like "You don't really believe that do you?" and "If you want to be taken seriously you should probably not think that." and finally "I just don't like the tone of what you are saying there."

If you watch several of her interviews that is pretty much the rolling mantra of all of them.

Quote:

I decided to sit myself down and write a letter to Ann Coulter to rid myself of these voices in my head.

Very cathartic. And I am now free of these horrible, horrible voices in my head.

Oh, and rest in peace Ron Ashton.

Goodnight.

Goodnight indeed. The irony of Henry Rollings asking where girlfriend is going to go when her routine is tired is all the more hilarious since IFC has chosen not to pick up the third season of his show while Coulter is publishing yet another book that will likely do just as well as the others.

And yes.... I absolutely said that in an Ann Coulter voice and even while wearing a blond wig.

post #23 of 253
Quote:

That's a sort funny yet frightening image!
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #24 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

[CENTER]
Because it shows firsthand how out of tune the right is today.[/CENTER]

trumpy seems to like Coulter a lot!

Yeah. Like I said a while ago. Should guys like trumptman still display the attitude that lost them the election if they ever expect their party to come back into power?

Republicans need to change their whole approach. The smart ones have already admitted this.
post #25 of 253
Quote:

Well one they love trying to take a shot at discrediting her and to do that they have to actually agree to put her on the air. This is why the talkers all feature more Republicans. It isn't as others have claimed, that they are biased for Republicans. It is because they want to poke Republicans with sticks for ten minutes and say things like "You don't really believe that do you?" and "If you want to be taken seriously you should probably not think that." and finally "I just don't like the tone of what you are saying there."

If you watch several of her interviews that is pretty much the rolling mantra of all of them.

I thought her take (or one of many) about Liberals is they are all decrying themselves as victims. Now the real victims are the Conservatives, being poked at and shit for 8 years of criminal, idiotic ignorance and policy. Whatever...

Ann Coulter's book is a crock of shit anyway.

And dressing up as Ann Coulter is as close you'll get to him, er- her.
post #26 of 253
Coulter knows exactly what she's doing, drumming up attention for book sales. Anyone dumb and lonely enough to buy into her slimy brand of self-promotion deserves to remain dumb and lonely.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #27 of 253
Quote:

Yes, that sounds far more effective than just putting on more liberals and having them say their piece. I'm sure that accounts for the preponderance of conservative voices on TV.

And that accounts for something I've never understood, which is why Fox has all those wall to wall liberals.
post #28 of 253
Quote:

Yes, that sounds far more effective than just putting on more liberals and having them say their piece. I'm sure that accounts for the preponderance of conservative voices on TV.

And that accounts for something I've never understood, which is why Fox has all those wall to wall liberals.

God, ain't it so! FOX drives me NUTS. I mean, I turn to channel 49 to see a little whacky conservative mouth-breathers, and what do I get? NOTHING BUT LIBERALS. I mean, God, if Dennis Kucinich is on a FOX panel with Katrina Vanden Heuvel, Barbara Erenreich, David Corn, and Tom Tomorrow one more time, I'm going to have to kill someone.
post #29 of 253
Quote:

Coulter knows exactly what she's doing, drumming up attention for book sales. Anyone dumb and lonely enough to buy into her slimy brand of self-promotion deserves to remain dumb and lonely.

Remind you of anyone? Anyone?

Ferguson is a hell of a lot more entertaining, funnier than Conan,
post #30 of 253
Quote:

God, ain't it so! FOX drives me NUTS. I mean, I turn to channel 49 to see a little whacky conservative mouth-breathers, and what do I get? NOTHING BUT LIBERALS. I mean, God, if Dennis Kucinich is on a FOX panel with Katrina Vanden Heuvel, Barbara Erenreich, David Corn, and Tom Tomorrow one more time, I'm going to have to kill someone.

Try their morning show and you can watch your skin crawl while you try and figure out what the hell is off about that blond co-host.
post #31 of 253
You know conservatives are in deep trouble when Coulter becomes their sine qua non.
post #32 of 253
Quote:

At least you can have the satisfaction of watching Brit Hume rip them all a new one. I'm actually surprised all the liberals keep showing up, just to be belittled.
post #33 of 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

You know conservatives are in deep trouble when Coulter becomes their sine qua non.

Maybe Palin and Coulter can get a show where Palin can complain about how mean and gutterish the liberal media is and Coulter can call people fags.
post #34 of 253
Quote:

Maybe Palin and Coulter can get a show where Palin can complain about how mean and gutterish the liberal media is and Coulter can call people fags.

They could call the show "90% of conservative ideology."
post #35 of 253
I kind of laugh when I think about a recent argument I had with a conservative over the holiday about MSNBC. He was bitching about how liberal they are. And I responded that Olbermann gets one hour and Rachel Maddow gets one hour. But Scarborough gets three hours every morning.

That's when they blink repeatedly and then responded, "What's your point?"

"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #36 of 253
Quote:

Palin/Coulter 2016!

post #37 of 253
Quote:

Well I heard Matt Lauer is getting divorced so I guess you wished it true!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by screener View Post

Try their morning show and you can watch your skin crawl while you try and figure out what the hell is off about that blond co-host.

Quote:

At least you can have the satisfaction of watching Brit Hume rip them all a new one. I'm actually surprised all the liberals keep showing up, just to be belittled.

Maybe they have a book to sell so they put up with it.

I honestly have no ideal if you guys are being factious or not. I don't watch cable news so I have no clue as to whether these folks would be on a Fox panel or not.

I know I see Katrina Vanden Heuvel on Sundays often lately when I switch between MTP and This Week.

post #38 of 253
Quote:

Palin/Coulter 2016!

God!

He looks like he's ready to vote alright!

Maybe they'll promise beer in every fridge!

What's he thinking?
Quote:
Ummmmm! I love a woman with a gun in her purse!
post #39 of 253
Quote:

Well I heard Matt Lauer is getting divorced so I guess you wished it true!

I'm not really into celebrity gossip, but Lauer is not getting divorced. That's old news. Old... like Ann Coulter old.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #40 of 253
Quote:

I honestly have no idea if you guys are being facetious or not. I don't watch cable news

You don't watch cable news. And you started a thread about liberal media bias.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Liberal Media Bias - Ann Coulter Drinking Game Version