or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › OMG! The Windows 7 taskbar becomes an OS X dock.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OMG! The Windows 7 taskbar becomes an OS X dock. - Page 2

post #41 of 57
Win95/98/ME:


WinXP:


WinVista (with large icons enabled):


Why do people who don't use Windows pretend to know about Windows?
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Win95/98/ME:

Why do people who don't use Windows pretend to know about Windows?

I do use windows. Everyday.
post #43 of 57
And you'd never heard of quick launch?

Do you know what the Start menu is?
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #44 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

And you'd never heard of quick launch?

Do you know what the Start menu is?

What's that?
post #45 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

By this time your post went from asinine to complete self-parody.

The Win7 taskbar is not a dock rip-off. The dock wasn't even original in its own right. Accusations of theft are for the weak in this regard, and Apple certainly has no grounds for lobbing such accusations.

As a matter of fact, it is iTunes and iTunes alone keeping me from using the Win7 Beta as my main OS. I see a pattern here, Apple incapable of keeping up with Microsoft's latest OS.

I've never cared for the OSX Dock. It always seemed to me to be ripped off from Windows!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply

Proud AAPL stock owner.

 

GOA

Reply
post #46 of 57
My biggest complaint about the Win7 taskbar is that it moves my beloved Show Desktop button over to the right-hand side of the bar...

There's less reason for me to use it, but sometimes I like to just clear out all windows at once for a little "ah..." moment.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #47 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

And this is built on the assumption that NeXT somehow originated this idea which then, in a linear fashion, made it to Windows 7. Both ideas are, of course, unsupportable except in the context of a desired outcome, which is the tried and true Mac message board canard, MICROSOFT STOLE IT FROM APPLE.



You are funny I must say. While some will go as far as accusing MS of "stealing" ideas from Apple, myself included, this isn't far from the truth. If you think MS's OS isn't influenced by what Apple "did"... well, you just aren't looking. That's all.

While we can all agree that the GUI was invented by Xerox, truth is, it was Apple who first implemented that idea into the Personal Computer. And mind you, Apple in return gave Xerox Apple stock options.

The Macintosh was released in 1984. It was the first commercially successful product to drop out the command line interface and use a graphical operating system instead.

The first GUI version of Microsoft Office was released in 1989, for the Apple Macintosh.

By the time MS released Windows95 in 1995, it was for all intents and purposes, a Mac OS wannabe.

At that time, the Mac OS app launcher and app manager was located in the menu bar. While not exactly the same, MS used the same concept but placed it at the bottom and called it the "Start Menu."

Every concept MS implements into Windows is influenced by what Apple did. It's been true from the beginning and continues to be to this day. It's like a marriage made in hell.
post #48 of 57
iPeon:

Quote:
If you think MS's OS isn't influenced by what Apple "did"... well, you just aren't looking. That's all.

Your statement is categorical and free of evidence, it is a statement of faith, like a religious dogma or tenet. Beyond that the word "influenced" is so malleable that it can mean anything at all. My health is influenced by the winds. A bullet influences a gunshot victim to death.

Quote:
Every concept MS implements into Windows is influenced by what Apple did.

This is, on its face, an absurd statement. It is broad and absolute, as if grandiosity is a substitute for logic. The words of a religious follower.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #49 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

I disagree with the idea that there is “a way”. You’ve got to account for different types of user. Some will embrace the whole “cloud” style of file management and will happily Spotlight/WDS their way through life, paying little attention to filenames and nested folders. Others (like me), will spend a great deal of time in the file management system organizing things and sorting them for ease-of-access and ease-of-backup.

A winning file management OS will be simple/powerful enough for the anal user and accommodating enough for the casual file manager. Spotlight/WDS is essential. A good file manager is also essential. Unfortunately, the Finder sucks and has since OSX 10.0.

You're reading into what I said. "a better way" simply means improving the system, not one way of doing something. Invariably, "a better way" will mean someone will get left behind, but such is the price of progress. It doesn't mean the system is inflexible though.

Quote:
Neither file system is terribly helpful for file management. The best solution (in my opinion) for both OSsin a multi-user environment are folders in the root (“Hard Drive:Music” or “C\Music”).

Actually, I'm talking more radical. Time Machine and Lifestreams are interesting ideas, but they still can't be implemented well yet. Time Machine did Lifestreams one better by making the dimension of time more natural and manageable. I'm imagining more of an infinite canvas with horizontal panning/scrolling as a time axis and the vertical scrolling as the place to put your sutff. Every time a file is touched/saved/moved/changed, they'd appear in the canvas in some way. Kind of a similar thing for your web browser sites, emails sent, IM sessions, etc where everything is recorded. The user is free to organize the files on the canvas anyway they want. They can group in folders, all in one big list, use spatial organization without folders, piling/stacks, spatial organization of piles, whatever. A time machine like UI where time is controlled with buttons could also be used so that both axes of the canvas could be used could be done too. Of course, who knows how someone will solve what time increment to use, how often, how major of an action, etc.

That'll be one aspect of it. I'd like to see a pseudo natural language interface (not necessarily voice, but written on keyboard) for communication with the computer for the purpose of searching, helping with things, and for creating of things (scripting aspect). I'm saying "pseudo" because it'll take a while to do the full natural language interface. With pseudo a vocabulary would have to be learned, kind of like a much much much easier Applescript.

I'm assuming the usual, all computer system entities (file, directories, programs, objects) have gobs of metadata, there'd be shortcut systems, launching things, and such. Music programs, video programs, document programs all could be used to interface the entirety of one's specific type of files.

For app design and navigation, I've already said that file menus should be taken out of the MenuBar. I think the use of [mouse/trackpad] pointer feedback is entirely underutilized. Every UI object should have a pop-up menu or some representation of an action/highlight. I'd like many more window actions to be available (max, min, close, zoom, half-screen, quarter-screen, all four sides/corners can be used for sizing the window). I'd like a "host window frame" type of thing so that I can place say a web browser in one side and a word processor on another side or a presentation view in one and a spreadsheet view in another. I think the use of palettes should just go away.

Quote:
The Dock’s overwhelming girth is a big problem for widescreen monitors. There’s a low bang:buck ratio as far as its size and utility. At least that’s my experience on my progression of widescreen 15” Apple laptops (from Powerbook G4 to MacBook Pro). I’m never happy with its size and magnification or how applications and their windows treat it. On the other hand, the Windows taskbar just disappears in daily use. (All of this is subjective user testimony and not meant as anything more.)

I just set the Dock to autohide. I also do that for the taskbar too. I also never put applications into the Dock, and just use stacks. In windows, yeah, I have to use the quick launch toolbar because the start menu button is awesomely slow and terrible for navigation. Hit targets are much much bigger with stacks. I just need a recently used documents stack functionality now. Also more fine grained control of stacks too.
post #50 of 57
Just installed Windows7 in Parallels4. I want to see WTF* is about.
*What The Fuss
post #51 of 57
Seems fairly smooth and snappy so far in Parallels. Hmm. First impressions are the Dock (oops... I mean Taskbar) looks good. And the Widgets (oops I mean Gadgets) are smooth and snappy even in Parallels on my Core Duo MacBook White. I've given Windows7 only 768mb RAM in Parallels and even Internet Explorer 8 is loading pages alright.

Yes, it remains my *religious* belief that Windows7 is influenced by, among various things, OS X. For the better. Vista was a piece of laggy garbage IMO. From XP to Windows 7. Hopefully Vista will be buried as fast as possible.

Also, Windows 7 doesn't appear to penalise you for not having a snazzy 3D hardware.

"Pin to Taskbar". Come on, it's a nice feature, it's clearly most heavily influenced by OS X.

I like it. Windows 7 feels more like a Mac (little by little).

I wonder how M$ might screw this version of Windows up between now and gold master.

It seems iTunes will work in Windows 7 ... Trying it soon. Trying Safari in Windows 7 soon...

Needed to run Windows Update, it found a sound driver. Installing Avast then I'll try restarting.
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

No. The "X" stands for "Unix." The number following the X is the OS version, currently 10.5. After 10.9, it will roll over to either 10.10 or 11.0; say it with me: OS X 11.0

You are an idiot! X is for 10, can you really be so ignorant as to not see that it went OS 8, then OS 9, and then, OHHH it's OS "Uni"X now? thats bull! Show at least a smidgen of intelligence, you know, somewhere later than a 2nd grade level, and realize that X is 10, and that's why, once then get to OS X 10.9.9, the next one will be something besides X! Come on, it's not rocket science!
post #53 of 57
ugh. its been in Windows betas like that since before Xp was released, the feature just hasnt made it to a final build of windows. (edit: and by that i mean they have always reverted to the previous sytle, which is to hide most when they are not in use)

also the animation is not "strikingly familiar" in any way.

im using both Windows 7 and OSX in my home right now. OSX did not influence anything other than making MS (M$ is just fucking retarded) make everything more appealing to the eye (something OSX did pioneer on modern computeres, although it was in the minds of microsoft when they released XP, they did not succeed.)
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Yes, it remains my *religious* belief that Windows7 is influenced by, among various things, OS X.

"Religious" is a perfect way to describe it. Something felt with conviction but completely lacking in actual evidence.
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
proud resident of a failed state
Reply
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miknees View Post

You are an idiot! X is for 10, can you really be so ignorant as to not see that it went OS 8, then OS 9, and then, OHHH it's OS "Uni"X now? thats bull! Show at least a smidgen of intelligence, you know, somewhere later than a 2nd grade level, and realize that X is 10, and that's why, once then get to OS X 10.9.9, the next one will be something besides X! Come on, it's not rocket science!

Listen, that's how it was explained to me by an Apple employee. You don't like it, sorry.
post #56 of 57
it was originally X=10, however i could see apple changing the name of their OS to OSX permanently. its got recognition now. i would not be surprised to see OSX-11.3 in the future.

however they might just keep going with the i thing for the immediate future OSXi- 11.1...2....3...4
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by groverat View Post

mrpiddly:
Apple wasnt ready for the last official Windows release, a release that was at least 2 years in the making. I have no faith thats going to change with Windows 7.

I think there is a difference here. Apple's strategy and position in 2001 was not the same as it is today. iTunes for windows was 2 years behind XP, not because they were dragging their feet but because in 2002 they were selling iPods so people would have to use it with a mac (the mac was the center of the digital life, remember?) Windows was not part of the equation. Thankfully Apple figured out that if you get the iPod in front of lots of people they might start to buy macs. That's where we are today. There is no reason for apple to lag itunes support now.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
Reply
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school." -- Albert Einstein
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › OMG! The Windows 7 taskbar becomes an OS X dock.