or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft intros Windows 7 beta, Songsmith app at CES

Microsoft intros Windows 7 beta, Songsmith app at CES - Page 3

post #81 of 157
That was just wrong from Microsoft....
post #82 of 157
CRINGE! That video gave me the goosebumps and shivers - and not in a good way. I had a hard time keeping my protein shake down.
post #83 of 157
Steve Ballmer probably made that video himself.
post #84 of 157
I think my dain got bramaged.
I watched ti twicet.
post #85 of 157
After reading the posts on Songsmith, I had to watch that ad...like watching a train wreck.

That is the worse POS software ever. Microsoft wasted money developing that. WOW.

Complete fail, EPIC fail.
post #86 of 157
Good old fashion Windows bashing, I love it. That said, while some of this sounds pretty strange (Songsmith? What the?), Microsoft isn't always off the ball. I for one prefer Word over Pages.

That said, I've seen Windows 7. I've used Windows 7. Builds newer than you'd see in the wild. Granted at some point today that will change, I'm sure the public beta build released this afternoon will be newer than what I've played with.

Windows 7 is good, as Windows goes. More feature packed than Vista, efficient, more stable than XP and almost as friendly as Leopard. Think of all the faults of Vista, imagine the vast majority gone.

It's something else. Not that I intend to be switching, after all I said almost as, not as friendly as Leopard, but I think Microsoft has done something right for once, besides Word.

Of course, knowing Microsoft, by now they may have messed it up again for all I know, but we've all got Boot Camp, so I'd suggest to the more adventurous among us, that you give it a go this afternoon: http://www.microsoft.com/windows7

* I naturally disclaim any responsibility for file loss, exploding computers and pregnant girlfriends. You should all know better than to use Windows.
** I haven't gotten a chance to play with Snow Leopard yet.
post #87 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Wait a minute, I thought this was Apple Insider.

The only connection this thing has to Apple at all is the comparison to GarageBand which is lame, and not even plausible. Do AppleInsider writers take their cues from Microsoft press releases now? Given that there have been precious few stories of any kind on this site for the last few days, to print this is just stupid.

Even if you wanted to print a story that's only tangentially related to Apple, the better story (which you haven't even covered) is the new Palm pre that came out today. It's not only a very interesting device and OS, it's a direct competitor to the iPhone (the current hot Apple product dont'cha know), and the company is practically run by ex Apple employees.

Relevancy? Heard of it?

Well, just like gaming sites try to fuel the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 fanboy fanboy flame wars, it seems AppleInsider feels they must do the same with the Apple vs. Microsoft fanboy flame wars to get cheap site hits instead of posting real content. They even take an innocuous quote from a Microsoft exec and try top spin it like it's an attack on Apple (Gee, a high level exec praises his company's own products...an an Apple exec would never do something so evil).

But I guess it worked. Here you have a bunch of Apple fanbots attacking Windows 7 and Songsmith without ever having used it. AppleInsider, you must be so proud!
post #88 of 157
I think GarageBand's horizontal timeline is more logical than blocks that are added left to right, top to bottom....

SongSmith wasn't even pretty....
TrendGiveAfuck - A Style Guide to your Beautiful Life
TrendGiveAfuck - A Style Guide to your Beautiful Life
post #89 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Well, just like gaming sites try to fuel the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 fanboy fanboy flame wars, it seems AppleInsider feels they must do the same with the Apple vs. Microsoft fanboy flame wars to get cheap site hits instead of posting real content. They even take an innocuous quote from a Microsoft exec and try top spin it like it's an attack on Apple (Gee, a high level exec praises his company's own products...an an Apple exec would never do something so evil).

But I guess it worked. Here you have a bunch of Apple fanbots attacking Windows 7 and Songsmith without ever having used it. AppleInsider, you must be so proud!

As many of you know, I tell it like it is and have let my thoughts be known, especially with Apple pricing, non apple parts and their marketing model, however, having been a PC beta developer for dozens of PC apps, this has got to be the worst thing I have ever seen.

I thought surely this is a joke right, but was horrified to see that this was real. I thought perhaps maybe something like Acid from Sonic Foundry (rather Sony) but wow, that was hideous- ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ALL THE MONEY THEY HAVE AND THE BEST THEY CAN DO IS CRAPPY SOUNDING LOOPS THAT SOUND LIKE GENERAL MIDI WINDOWS SOUND FONTS? IS GATES AN IMBECILE? SOMEONE AT MSFT NEEDS TO BE FIRED.

THAT IS HIDEOUS!!!
post #90 of 157
Microsoft has zero taste in music.That song made my ears bleed, and I send a friend the link to the page

It blows,
what blows?
Winblows.
It blows
What blows?
Winblows.
It blows
What blows?
Winblows.
post #91 of 157
Just thought... the ad reminds me of those cringeworthy "Duck and Cover" ads you had in the US in the 1950s.
post #92 of 157
Songsmith could be a fun thing for kids to play with but certainly no one could use it to make a professional piece of work. It sounds tinny and awful.

I'm pretty sure the ad was not meant to be taken at face value, but was trying for a certain effect, but has not quite hit the right note, and just ended up kinda awful. Which is analogous to the kind of music produced by the program actually -- maybe those ad makers are smarter than us all.
post #93 of 157
SONGSMITH IS HORRIBLE!! I couldn't believe that ad was real. HAHAHA! Being a musician, this is just hilarious. Someone before said it sounds like a Casio and they are absolutely right! My musician friends are going to LOVE seeing this ad. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks Microshaft.
post #94 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

...more like "nervous system" (as Vista proved). Anyways, if you haven't seen the psychotic Baller give his keynote, it's well worth a view (and laugh):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7817190.stm

Too bad he didn't say Galaxy. That would have more apt as I think the largest items at the center of most galaxies is now believed to be Black Holes.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #95 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Good old fashion Windows bashing, I love it. That said, while some of this sounds pretty strange (Songsmith? What the?), Microsoft isn't always off the ball. I for one prefer Word over Pages.

That said, I've seen Windows 7. I've used Windows 7. Builds newer than you'd see in the wild. Granted at some point today that will change, I'm sure the public beta build released this afternoon will be newer than what I've played with.

Windows 7 is good, as Windows goes. More feature packed than Vista, efficient, more stable than XP and almost as friendly as Leopard. Think of all the faults of Vista, imagine the vast majority gone.

It's something else. Not that I intend to be switching, after all I said almost as, not as friendly as Leopard, but I think Microsoft has done something right for once, besides Word.

Of course, knowing Microsoft, by now they may have messed it up again for all I know, but we've all got Boot Camp, so I'd suggest to the more adventurous among us, that you give it a go this afternoon: http://www.microsoft.com/windows7

* I naturally disclaim any responsibility for file loss, exploding computers and pregnant girlfriends. You should all know better than to use Windows.

It is certainly faster at certain tasks than XP at this point, but more stable it is not. It is still a Beta, afterall. They certainly have learned from Vista's relative failure, but so has Appld from the MM launch failure. They are now adopting the OS X-like buttons, but the Start Menu needs to go. As long as that is there I can't but dislike Windows' setup.
post #96 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Looks that way. The clue was the Microsoft Research Department title at the start of the video (and the fact that the application is still hosted at Microsoft Research). They occasionally do corny videos for this stuff (though even by their standards, this was particularly toe curling)

One thing to remember about stuff that comes out of this department, is that it is usually just a try out for some odd bit of technology that they want to experiment with. It may (or may not) end up as a final product.

Nope. It's not an experiment apparently. They're actually going to sell this.

For $30 a pop!

I guess this is what happens when you give geeks free reign with a marketing budget ....
post #97 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

...LOOPS THAT SOUND LIKE GENERAL MIDI WINDOWS...THAT IS HIDEOUS!!!

Hey, General MIDI is the ro0xx0rs okay... Back in 1990

Garageband just took a big dump all over this Songsmith stuff.

Unless they bundle a FiftyCent Masterclass with Songsmith (GET RICH MAKING HITS WITH SONGSMITH OR DIE TRYING YO!!!)
post #98 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

..But I guess it worked. Here you have a bunch of Apple fanbots attacking Windows 7 and Songsmith without ever having used it. AppleInsider, you must be so proud!

Yup, AppleInsider automagically brings out all the Apple SlamBoys too.
post #99 of 157
If you tell me Windows 7 will let me play Crysis on my GMA950 MacBook I'll install it right away!

Quote:

post #100 of 157
I can't find the link to download it? Does Microsoft want us to try it or not?

Quote:

post #101 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hey, General MIDI is the ro0xx0rs okay... Back in 1990

Garageband just took a big dump all over this Songsmith stuff.

Unless they bundle a FiftyCent Masterclass with Songsmith (GET RICH MAKING HITS WITH SONGSMITH OR DIE TRYING YO!!!)

Yes, it STINKS STINKS STINKS and sounds like the PC application BAND IN A BOX midi files - so I looked further and sure enough, same company. That said, they are offering Garratian sound libraries and I can tell you this, if you create a song with band in a box, it sounds like playback from a CASIO keyboard, however, if you are a good musician, I am, you can load up TRILOGY, BFD drums (or any great drums), add EWQLSO $1400, and get some really good songs. Now, that said, if this program can write to you voice and then you can exporth the midi and import high end samples, then this could be revolutionary.

The only thing that scares me will be all the songs we will hear on the web, sort of like people who put music to youtube and suddenly think they are an editor.

Won't know until I look into further, but really people, someone like me or someone hip needs to take over the direction of MSFT and Apple marketing for that matter, past title was National Marketing and Promotional Director, as well as Director of Artist Relations, A&R. LOL
post #102 of 157
Oh dear, all the fanboys are out tonight are they not?

Do you all not feel really, really stupid for taking such an obvious piece of fluff so seriously?

Anyone here seen a Pixar film? You know, the ones that appeal to kids on a such a basic level and yet appeal to adults on a level akin to parody? Anyone who worked on this commercial is probably reading this forum now and laughing at you guys for these comments. Does that not make you feel dumb? It should do.

And yes of course it was a Mac Book Pro, why wouldn't it be? Microsoft don't make PC's in case you never knew that. They are gonna use someone's hardware, If they are up for rattling some fanboy cages then why not use a MBP and go for gold?

Looks good does Windows 7, I hope it is. After all it is the OS that most of the world will be using for the foreseeable future. I will stick it on my MBP tomorrow and give it a go. I doubt it will replace OSX in my house but I am prepared to have a look. I have an open mind after all.
post #103 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Do you all not feel really, really stupid for taking such an obvious piece of fluff so seriously?

Anyone here seen a Pixar film? You know, the ones that appeal to kids on a such a basic level and yet appeal to adults on a level akin to parody? Anyone who worked on this commercial is probably reading this forum now and laughing at you guys for these comments. Does that not make you feel dumb? It should do.

And yes of course it was a Mac Book Pro, why wouldn't it be? Microsoft don't make PC's in case you never knew that. They are gonna use someone's hardware, If they are up for rattling some fanboy cages then why not use a MBP and go for gold?

Looks good does Windows 7, I hope it is. After all it is the OS that most of the world will be using for the foreseeable future. I will stick it on my MBP tomorrow and give it a go. I doubt it will replace OSX in my house but I am prepared to have a look. I have an open mind after all.

I don't care how you take it, seriously, a spoof, whatever - its truly obnoxious.
Thanks for comparing it to a Pixar movie though, that made me see it in a different light altogether
post #104 of 157
Quote:

Well I am not a fan and for sure am not of the mind set like some loons that Steve can do no wrong - just look at lack of firewire (my tests showed firewire 4x faster) and they did this as the GPU was great on the MB and they knew FIREWIRE = pro apps on that machine, meaning SHAKE, MOTION and apple can stand the thought of the people who got them where they are, and less than 1% of market, using a cheap solution.

However, having developed Giga Studio, Acid, and working on something for Ultimate Soundbanks, plus being a producer, sound designer, FF/TV executive, that had to be the worst piece of marketing I have ever seen - even if it were on Disney, it lacks a hip factor, very lame. You would think with their $$$ they could hire the right crew, casting, storyboard and make it work a lot better, especially since the program offers HIGHER END samples from other companies, not to mention you can use your own $$$$$ high end samples, instead, it looks like they used MIDI sound fonts and got some people from the back yard to play the parts -even the story was very week.

MSFT if you ever want a charismatic sales, marketing, promotional, merchandising guru with years of experience in Post Production, please, for the sake of hipness, hire me:
I will turn you around. composer88@gmail.com LOL Really, as a switcher, yet worked with macs in the studio all my life, and I.T., I would do it just to not cringe at ad's such as this.

Be safe all.
post #105 of 157
Will Apple have a booth at next year's CES?
Will Ballmer take on Steve Jobs in a battle of the keynotes?
post #106 of 157
Quote:

You're right. I've come to my senses and now feel bad.

How can anyone hate something that's songtastic?
post #107 of 157
I think I hate the fanboy accusers more than microsoft.
I dislike microsoft not because I'm a 'fan' of apple. No, I dislike microsoft because since time began they have produced soulless shit that somehow makes my life harder rather than easier.

Of the 10 or so computer platforms I have used, I hold fond memories for every one, except microsoft.

software written by idiots for idiots.

However they have proven themselves to be geniuses of comedy, I'l grant them that.
post #108 of 157
That reminds me of Microsoft's other Promo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmEvPZUdAVI
bb
bb
post #109 of 157
Windows is finally adding features that macs have had
can you say copy cat much? at least for the features that were highlighted in this article.
post #110 of 157
OMG! Does Microsoft actually employ an ad agency?

One word describes Songsmith AND the promo...

FAIL!
post #111 of 157
But wait! There's more!

These Cups of Coffee

Science is Cool

No, I still think Songsmith is some cruel joke.
post #112 of 157
I'd love to see the Mac ad with PC singing some lovely tune (could use one from the Songsmith ad) and then have Mac say he's been working on learning some music too.

Now Sting walks in, hands Mac an extra guitar, maybe asks if he practiced the chords, and then Mac and Sting both play guitar and Sting sings 'Don't stand so close to me' looking over at poor PC.

The timing of Songsmith is just hilarious when at the same Apple rolls out professional music lessons. (I'm of course assuming the lessons will be at least reasonable, but I'm sure they can't be worse than Songsmith was in that ad.)
post #113 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

But wait! There's more!

Science is Cool

"don't stand in my path"

Yes, I'm sure that 12 year olds(guessing their age) came up with that.
post #114 of 157
If you click on the video and go to the Youtube Page
watch it in High DEF at :22 you will clearly see the leaf on top of the apple logo and the left edge
of the apple under the middle sticker. Also the 17 inch laptop appears to have a Clear Case Cover on it which looks just like the Speck MB17-CLR-SEE See Thru 17-Inch MacBook Pro Hard Case
Very sad to see Microsoft using Apples yet again for a PC ad
post #115 of 157
I really underestimated the creepiness factor of that Songsmith video. *shudder*
"Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here, but..." - Dennis Miller

MBP 17" LED Glossy WUXGA, 2.6Ghz Penryn, 4GB Ram, 200GB 7200 RPM, OSX 10.5.5
"Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here, but..." - Dennis Miller

MBP 17" LED Glossy WUXGA, 2.6Ghz Penryn, 4GB Ram, 200GB 7200 RPM, OSX 10.5.5
post #116 of 157
Songsmith looks as lame as Wii Music. Maybe they're onto something though - Wii Music has been widly popular.
post #117 of 157
Quote:

Have YOU ever seen a Pixar film? If so, I'm sorry that you were to uneducated to see why they really appeal to adults as well.

Comparing Pixar film to this dreck? You is craaaaazy....
post #118 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I will be downloading the beta just out of geeky curiousity...

Oh, and also to see how much Microsoft has "borrowed" from OS X in this latest version of Windows

Apple has always had the better ideas in software, they've just always tied them to their own biases. That is the M.O. of Microsoft, take Apple's (or someone else's) ideas, sell them without the hardware strings attached, and make money that could be in Apple's pockets.
post #119 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpetty View Post

Just registered after years of snooping, but I had to post in this article. The laptops in that Microsoft ad appear to me to be Macs!

I actually think you are right with that! YOu can almost see the top of the apple on the front right behind the sticker. HA. Now that is funny.
post #120 of 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Apple has always had the better ideas in software, they've just always tied them to their own biases. That is the M.O. of Microsoft, take Apple's (or someone else's) ideas, sell them without the hardware strings attached, and make money that could be in Apple's pockets.

Right- Apple has never taken another idea and sold it. Not even Soundjam - which was turned it into iTunes which made a ton of money for them.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft intros Windows 7 beta, Songsmith app at CES