or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Palm surprises with Pre smartphone running new webOS

Palm surprises with Pre smartphone running new webOS - Page 2

post #41 of 210
I think it looks cool. I like the size and keyboard myself. I was hoping that Apple would have a iPhone Nano that looked exactly like this but alas it never happend. I'm totally glad that this is occurring on a slider. I've had a slider chocolate for a 1 1/2 half years and love the compactness of it. They fit into pants pockets most unobtrusively .
post #42 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The only way the iPhone sells more is when the phone is offered, as is, on Verizon. That won't happen because Verizon and T-Mobile USA are dictatorial mental midgets.

Oh I thought all this time it had to do with Apple signing an exclusive AT&T contract.
post #43 of 210
Once somebody, maybe SiriusXM or DirectTV, comes up with a reliable satellite phone service, we can forget about AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, and have dirt cheap coverage everywhere. And their infrastructure is already built about 100 miles above the weather.

GPS chips send and receive data reliably already. I'm already saving the $250 I'll need to break my AT&T contract with their stupid jip plans.
post #44 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Once somebody, maybe SiriusXM or DirectTV, comes up with a reliable satellite phone service, we can forget about AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, and have dirt cheap coverage everywhere. And their infrastructure is already built about 100 miles above the weather.

GPS chips send and receive data reliably already. I'm already saving the $250 I'll need to break my AT&T contract with their stupid jip plans.

Satellite phones can drain your battery quickly. Imagine this, instead of sending the signal to a cell tower (1 to 2 miles away) satellite phones need to send it to 100 miles minimum and will require larger antenna. Furthermore, satellite signals will have hard time reaching the insides of buildings. There are satellite phones available now but are all bulky and expensive to buy and use.

GPS chips only receive data they don't send any.
post #45 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

I will also be an end to the iPhone and hello to the iPod Satellite!
post #46 of 210
I think the Palm Pre is kinda cute.. I think its success will hinge on the price point and exactly how good the OS is. Seems odd that the apps will be built on an html/css/javascript framework... I assume this means that the technologies run locally somehow-- did BeOS work like this in some way.

I think that a new iPhone is probably in the works and will once again become the leader among cell phones, but it will have to match ALL of the features of the Pre..

better camera--- good quality 25fps video (Cycorder is pretty darn good, so I see no reason why this isn't possible)
Adobe Flash support (real Flash so I can use Flash applications!)
a flash
real turn-by-turn GPS

a forward facing camera behind the LCD for properly-oriented video confereincing would be nice (so it looks like you're looking at the person on your screen)

VOICE CONTROL and SPEECH RECOGNITION ---- they pull that off in a fantastic way and they'll have the NEXT iPhone.

some of this stuff is implementable with a software update.. but it would have to be version 3 of the software I gather.. who knows maybe Apple is further along with this than we think (??????)
post #47 of 210
Beautiful looking phone and interface. Thank God for a device that genuinely looks to be competition for the iPhone - this is the first device I've seen since the iPhone was unveiled that has impressed me to such a degree.

Once Palm releases their SDK and App Store, they'll be well on their way.

Innovation through competition, y'all.
post #48 of 210
Click Here to read the article from PC magazine.. they answer a few important questions.

Seems the Pre will be quite cool after they open up the OS a bit more and build in Flash.. (??) also, they plan to release a "candybar" version without the keyboard which seems smart!

I must say.. to anyone that hasn't used a Treo AND an iPhone to type... I've used both, and the iPhone blows my old Treo out of the water for typing speed and UI flexibility.. ability to type in landscape

I would have liked the Pre a lot more if they ditched that slide-out keyboard.

yes, I know some people just seem to prefer having it-- but I would guess 9 times out of 10 those people haven't given the iPhone keyboard a fair shake-- JUST a guess..
post #49 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a subtle jab at the iPhone, Palm's webOS can run multiple apps at the same time, each one "seamlessly connected to the web and always active."* According to Palm, you can instantly flip from one app to another like you would sift through playing cards on a table.

... or tabs in a web browser.... like Safari.... where all the tabs are online and active at the same time. Remember we're talking about webapps here.
post #50 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbeta;1360949smart!

yes, I know some people just seem to prefer having it-- but I would guess 9 times out of 10 those people haven't given the iPhone keyboard a fair shake-- JUST a guess..

While the iPhone and iPod Touch keyboards are great, many prefer a one-handed portait approach which frees up the other hand for other tasks.
post #51 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

How exactly is the iPhone's OS crippled? The underlying OS on the iPhone is in fact OS X, same that's on the desktop. Once you jailbreak the iPhone, there's not much that can't be done with it.

If you're referring to the user interface, I'd hardly call the iPhone's "crippled". The iPhone's interface is a completely different way to interact with the system. All attempts made by previous mobile operating systems just took the desktop's point&click interaction and threw it behind a touch screen. Apple designed a completely new interface for a handheld device, because they knew trying to cram the Mac screen on a display that small is absurd and counter-intuitive.

The iPhone is a new platform, it's not trying to be a micro Mac, nor should it.

And while I like the idea that they chose WebKit as their front end for the entire OS, I don't understand how some people think this is more advanced than Cocoa Touch on the iPhone? WebKit has proven to be a powerful application environment, but it is in no way superior to an OS native API.

It's crippled because it doesn't have copy and paste.
post #52 of 210
I just don't get why they would match up a seemingly well-designed OS (It looks distinctly post-iPhone, but that's probably a good thing) with such an awkward-looking handset. Not an attractive phone at all. Call me back when you install WebOS (Stupid name, almost as bad as MacBook Air) on a handset that I wouldn't be embarasssed to hold.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #53 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You obviously have never used a slider. The are smaller phones, not annoying and very easy to use and do not break- there is no hinge. Portrait is better than landscape because it is narrower and easier to hold. This phone looks like a winner- better than a Blackberry.

You obviously like to make assumptions about things you have no clue about.

I have Android Dev Phone (G1).

It is not small (way bigger than iPhone), and if you look carefully, the Pre is very thick.
Anything which is physical will break at one point. That's shown by the reliability studies that iPhone is the more reliable (over Blackberry).

Narrower keyboard is better? Wow. First time I hear anyone claiming that.
post #54 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbeta View Post

Not a bad looking phone. Not as elegant as the iPhone but cool nonetheless. Given that this phone is considerably smaller than the iPhone however, I fail to see how this keyboard will be more user friendly. That is one tiny keyboard! Personally I have no problems with the virtual keyboard (specially not when inlandscape mode). In fact I really like it. Do people really us a 'real' keyboard single handed for anything but dialing numbers? If so, what the hell are you doing with your other hand? I may not want to know the answer to that one, but really, are people that good at multitasking that they can write an email or txt with one hand whilst xxxxxx with the other?
post #55 of 210
it's the best looking os on a mobile phone out there period. only time will tell if it is as good as the demo. if it is, apple is in for a SERIOUS battle.apple had better come up with something special for os 3 and 3rd generation iphone. it looks as if apple was resting on it's ass and palm passed them by.

it may not look as good hardware-wise as the iphone but the palm blows it out of the water when it comes to the os.
post #56 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

it's the best looking os on a mobile phone out there period. only time will tell if it is as good as the demo. if it is, apple is in for a SERIOUS battle.apple had better come up with something special for os 3 and 3rd generation iphone. it looks as if apple was resting on it's ass and palm passed them by.

it may not look as good hardware-wise as the iphone but the palm blows it out of the water when it comes to the os.

Pass the joint, mate!
post #57 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Pass the joint, mate!

lol! you're not being honest with yourself. had apple shown this everybody would be drooling and it would not have met the same criticism as has in this forum. love the iphone but this has every feature the iphone should have and it looks closer to mac osx than even the iphone does. without reading the article you could tell apple designers were behind this. this looks like a next-gen os. to me the ball is now in apple's court.
post #58 of 210
Quote:

It sure does!! If you're of that opinion. Others may disagree.
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #59 of 210
I cannot believe anyone would think the phone is good looking.

The OS looks great and can easily give iPhone OS some competition. However, the handset?

Imagine the phone turned OFF. will you still think it is good looking?
post #60 of 210
Its nice to see a handet with OMAP3430 - PowerVR SGX 530. Naturally this should accelerate the release of the next iPhone which will "utilise" the SGX far better than the I think Palm will.
post #61 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It sure does!! If you're of that opinion. Others may disagree.

others can. i'm just giving the only point of view i can. my own. but i know i'm not alone. almost every tech blog is stunned that palm made this. not saying that apple can't do something more imaginative but in six months at wwdc it's time to step up!
post #62 of 210
wow, very very nice.. I really like it... and it's still months away from launching, giving Palm time to polish things up

I hope it ruffles a LOT of feathers at Apple and that it sells indeed like hotcakes

That way it'll kick Apple a bit in the butt to get a move on and stop condescending and treating it's users like a bunch of retards with their damn half ass iPhone OS
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
I'm having deja-vu and amnesia at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
post #63 of 210
Palm's stock price was up 35% today. Whatever you think of this phone, the general reaction in the US has been very positive.
post #64 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

You obviously like to make assumptions about things you have no clue about.

It is not small (way bigger than iPhone), and if you look carefully, the Pre is very thick.
Anything which is physical will break at one point. That's shown by the reliability studies that iPhone is the more reliable (over Blackberry).

Narrower keyboard is better? Wow. First time I hear anyone claiming that.

You obviously don't know a close-up pic when you see one. It is smaller than the iPhone!

Anything which is physical will break at one point? Hmm -how many Apple or any other manufacturer's laptop hinges have ever broken?
post #65 of 210
I'm glad to see companies other Apple finally making products that don't suck.

However, it does suck that it took Apple to get these companies to get their collective heads out of their asses, thinking that we were all fat and happy as we tried to find the menu command for turning off the blinking light buried in a Symbian OS.
post #66 of 210
Very nice new product offering. It's nice to see Palm making something that will compete again.
post #67 of 210
very nice... and encouraging

from BoingBoing Gadgets:

Quote:
Seven features that make the Palm Pre better than the iPhone

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/0...s-that-ma.html

There was a glow on the face of every Palm employee we saw today, and deservedly so: the new Palm Pre is a hail mary product. It's probably going to save the company.

And it is, in many ways, better than the iPhone.

Brownlee and I got a little guided tour of a Pre by a beaming executive this evening. (We filmed it; Xeni, Derek, and Wes from the Boing Boing video team are working on it as I write.) But I'm so excited about the product that I wanted to share my enthusiasm before I forgot all the details about why I am so into it in the first place.

It feels small and pleasant in the hand. Much smaller than the iPhone, but inexplicably the screen seems big enough. Part of that is the lovely interface that Palm has created that echos a little bit of the old Palm OS in font choice and such, but feels wholly new.

It's a little bit longer than a Treo when the keyboard is extended, but the curving bit makes it seem a nice size.

It runs Linux. SQLlite is the built-in database. Developers will have to use "web technologies" to make most of the apps, but it sounds like there may still be ways to use closer-to-the-metal languages.

The animations and interface are gorgeous. They are in many ways busier than the iPhone's animations, and clearly largely cribbed from the bouncy, lively way the iPhone OS moves around, but they look really nice when switching from app to app.

It has the coolest menu bar I've ever seen. The touchpad actually extends about half an inch below the screen, and to bring up the ever-present menu bar, you push up from below to smoosh it onto the screen, where it rests under your thumb like a Gummi worm. It looks really great and really useful. It is the first clear "impress your friends" feature.

Integration with Facebook and Gmail looks top notch. Here's the part that got me: if you choose to, you can make your contacts list pull live from Facebook, including their selected profile picture, which means every time your friends call you their image will be their latest Facebook profile picture. Not a huge deal, of course, but a wonderful touch.

There will be an official app store, but you can still load other apps. Probably. Palm isn't quite sure how syncing with a PC will work, but it sounds like you'll be able to load apps from a variety of sources as well as buying them over-the-air from the Palm application store.

It's got multitouch, Apple patents be damned. We asked if they were afraid of Apple's claimed protectionist patents for multitouch. They would only respond with a confident smile.

What a pleasing thing it is to see a company that had been all but counted out of the smartphone game come storming back into what I suspect will be the lead.

Update: Oh, one more thing: It has system-wide cut-and-paste.
post #68 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Palm, Inc. used this year's Consumer Electronics Show to unveil its iPhone challenger, the Palm Pre, which will run a brand-new operating system called Palm webOS.

Sorry this looks like a cheap imitation iPhone. Desparation leads them to slap together some kinda OS. Desparation leads them to make the device operate in a cheap imitation way that becomes very obvious soon as u use it.
The chintzy tiny physical keyboard is soooo out of date.
Everything about this thing makes the iPhone look like the superb design flourish that it is.
No sale Palm.
AV
post #69 of 210
Quote:
It feels small and pleasant in the hand. Much smaller than the iPhone, but inexplicably the screen seems big enough. Part of that is the lovely interface that Palm has created that echos a little bit of the old Palm OS in font choice and such, but feels wholly new.

This is a feature? It's not smaller with the kb extended

Quote:
It's a little bit longer than a Treo when the keyboard is extended, but the curving bit makes it seem a nice size.

Redundant

Quote:
It runs Linux. SQLlite is the built-in database. Developers will have to use "web technologies" to make most of the apps, but it sounds like there may still be ways to use closer-to-the-metal languages.

When discussing features it's appropriate to state the feature and then the benefit. Core Data is a persistent SQLite framework and Webkit supports the HTML needed.

Quote:
The animations and interface are gorgeous. They are in many ways busier than the iPhone's animations, and clearly largely cribbed from the bouncy, lively way the iPhone OS moves around, but they look really nice when switching from app to app.

I don't know if I want my UI getting any glossier

Quote:
It has the coolest menu bar I've ever seen. The touchpad actually extends about half an inch below the screen, and to bring up the ever-present menu bar, you push up from below to smoosh it onto the screen, where it rests under your thumb like a Gummi worm. It looks really great and really useful. It is the first clear "impress your friends" feature.

I've seen it and don't like it. I saw the Palm employee struggle when demoing this feature

Quote:
Integration with Facebook and Gmail looks top notch. Here's the part that got me: if you choose to, you can make your contacts list pull live from Facebook, including their selected profile picture, which means every time your friends call you their image will be their latest Facebook profile picture. Not a huge deal, of course, but a wonderful touch.

There's already a Mac app that does this. iPhone would be a piece of cake.

Quote:
There will be an official app store, but you can still load other apps. Probably. Palm isn't quite sure how syncing with a PC will work, but it sounds like you'll be able to load apps from a variety of sources as well as buying them over-the-air from the Palm application store.

Not a feature. When I go to a store I want a centralize mechanism for shopping efficiently. I don't want ten sources to locate what I should be able to do in one. Not a feature and the app store pretty much supports my ideal

Quote:
It's got multitouch, Apple patents be damned. We asked if they were afraid of Apple's claimed protectionist patents for multitouch. They would only respond with a confident smile.

Apple doesn't own multitouch. Their "pinch" wasn't fluid at all in their demo.

sophomoric writing and logic.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #70 of 210
Quote:

sophomoric writing and logic.

Man, really.

"7 Reasons Why the Pre Is Better Than The iPhone" turn out to be "has multitouch like the iPhone", "might allow apps other than apps sold in an app store that doesn't exist yet", "has busier animations that will impress your friends", "has a particular animation that I really like that doesn't work very well in the demos", "is Linux", "is smaller except when it's not", and "has trivially easy to implement integration with FaceBook and Gmail."

Oh, and cut and paste, of course, but at this point that just amounts to a ritual invocation.

I can see being taken with the thing, but some of that stuff is just silly.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #71 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Man, really.

"7 Reasons Why the Pre Is Better Than The iPhone" turn out to be "has multitouch like the iPhone", "might allow apps other than apps sold in an app store that doesn't exist yet", "has busier animations that will impress your friends", "has a particular animation that I really like that doesn't work very well in the demos", "is Linux", "is smaller except when it's not", and "has trivially easy to implement integration with FaceBook and Gmail."

Oh, and cut and paste, of course, but at this point that just amounts to a ritual invocation.

I can see being taken with the thing, but some of that stuff is just silly.

All good points.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #72 of 210
That pretty presumptuous. We at least need to wait and see the Palm Pre out in active use before it can be said they've surpassed the iPhone.

Quote:

others can. i'm just giving the only point of view i can. my own. but i know i'm not alone. almost every tech blog is stunned that palm made this. not saying that apple can't do something more imaginative but in six months at wwdc it's time to step up!
post #73 of 210
From the video of the Pre on engadget, the OS already looks more fluid than the iPhone's OS, and the browser looks much, much better than Safari, especially when changing orientations.

Just too bad the phone will on Sprint, and not a network that matters, like Verizon.
post #74 of 210
The video definitely looked good. I'm not sure how you define the OS looking more fluid. We didn't get to see them using the different apps.

How does the browser look much better than Safari? All you could really see are web pages being displayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post

From the video of the Pre on engadget, the OS already looks more fluid than the iPhone's OS, and the browser looks much, much better than Safari, especially when changing orientations.

Just too bad the phone will on Sprint, and not a network that matters, like Verizon.
post #75 of 210
Competition will only make the iPhone better - I'm ecstatic.
post #76 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The video definitely looked good. I'm not sure how you define the OS looking more fluid. We didn't get to see them using the different apps.

How does the browser look much better than Safari? All you could really see are web pages being displayed.

My thoughts exactly.
post #77 of 210
It will be interesting to see just how much control palm ends up giving to 3d party developers. This one factor could either make their operating system a force or completely irrelevant in 5 years.

I am somewhat tempted to believe that the most open mobile operating system will emerge as the "victor", but history has proven this to be incorrect.
post #78 of 210
Quote:

This is a feature? It's not smaller with the kb extended

That sounds like a strained objection to me, it's hard to believe it's being aired, though maybe you can clarify it.

The main thing I see about wanting small size is about pocketability. The device being bigger when the keyboard being extended is an irrelevant objection, because I don't see any but the dumbest users keeping it open when putting it into a pocket.
post #79 of 210
The first strong competitor to the iPhone. But the iPhone has been out 2 years now, so we should expect some serious competition to start to appear. I will just say though, I don't think this could have come out before the iPhone. There are too many similarities.
post #80 of 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The first strong competitor to the iPhone. But the iPhone has been out 2 years now, so we should expect some serious competition to start to appear. I will just say though, I don't think this could have come out before the iPhone. There are too many similarities.

Yeah it's funny ...people come out with iPhone derivatives and start boasting but the reality is Apple's already moved on to the next level.

I'm glad I'll be jumping in at the right time though I wish Palm much success as the mobile market need not be dominated by one vendor.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Palm surprises with Pre smartphone running new webOS