or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Changing registered owner name on MS Office 2008

Changing registered owner name on MS Office 2008

post #1 of 4
I recently purchased and started using a refurbed iBook G4 for Power Point and Excel presentations. Every time I open a project, I get the X or PP start page with the header "Registered To XXXXXX XXXXXX" (the previous owner who activated the software). My audiences, whether a group or a single person, all know that I am not XXXXXX XXXXXX!

It's an embarrassing situation, since it suggests that I am either using someone else's iBook or I have a pirated version of the software.

Does anyone know where or how I could edit the script or registration info for MS Office 2008?

This is my first experience with a Mac and the first time using Office 2008 for Mac; my knowledge in this case is limited to registry edits in earlier MS versions and XP.

I've searched many threads and forums without seeing a reference to this particular situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
post #2 of 4
If you have the serial code for the software, you remove these files:

~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist

When you launch the software, it will then ask for your serial code and you can register it to your own name.

If you don't know the code, you may be able to edit the officePID plist to change the name. Back it up before you do anything by duplicating.

You'll need a plist editor - you get one with the developer tools but it's a huge installation so use this instead:

http://www.nightproductions.net/prefsetter.html

Open the file and open the key that links your registration name (I've read it's key 1000). Edit the string in there if possible and save the file.
post #3 of 4
Marvin,

I owe you a ton!

I d-loaded PrefSetter, followed your instuctions and changed the officePID.plist string from his name to mine. Restarted the system and now the splash windows open with my name - just like I wanted! So simple if you know where to look!

Many trips to Google returned hundreds of posts from people wanting to change the name and/or serial key, but all I wanted was to change the name.

Your spot-on advice is the only one that worked for me!

Thanks a MILLION Marvin!
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If you have the serial code for the software, you remove these files:

~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist
/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist

When you launch the software, it will then ask for your serial code and you can register it to your own name.

If you don't know the code, you may be able to edit the officePID plist to change the name. Back it up before you do anything by duplicating.

You'll need a plist editor - you get one with the developer tools but it's a huge installation so use this instead:

http://www.nightproductions.net/prefsetter.html

Open the file and open the key that links your registration name (I've read it's key 1000). Edit the string in there if possible and save the file.

Lifesaver! Wife was bugging me to change registration from my name to something generically ours and this is perfect! Thanks so much!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac Software
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac Software › Changing registered owner name on MS Office 2008