or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..

Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..

post #1 of 488
Remember that inside info Andy Ihnatko said he got from a contact before the macworld show? Ya know, the info which made him look like a fool when it turns out nothing of any big deal was shown at macworld?
Well it turns out that he might be vindicated after all. It seems more apple insider sources are seeding other tech columnists with info that a new Mac Mini and a "huge" surprise will be revealed later this month by Apple. As you read below it would seem Apple is doing this on purpose.
Read below:

Quote:
Rumor - The Mac Mini and something “huge” to come from Apple this month?
by Jake Gaecke on Jan 9, 2009

Disappointed by Apple’s Keynote announcements? Me too. We were all expecting something in the way of hardware that wasn’t completely obvious (i.e. the 17” MacBook Pro). Well, we received some potentially good news. While discussing the fate of the expo with a long-time Macintosh software developer, we received a tip from someone in the know about Apple’s coming plans, and it seems that those plans involve a big finger to Macworld.

The tip goes like this. Apple is planning on updating the Mac Mini very soon, and that update won’t be it’s death. In fact, it’s most likely ready as you read this, and could have been announced at Macworld. But instead of announcing it here, Apple held back, seemingly in an effort to prove that they don’t need Macworld. The announcement could come as soon as two weeks. But, as much as I want a new Mac Mini, that’s not the juice in this tip.

Apparently, Apple also has a “huge” announcement that will make the Mac Mini news pale in comparison to the other half of this rumor. Unfortunately, that’s all we know. Our source, who says he heard this directly from Apple reps at this week’s Expo, wouldn’t tell him more than that, but he finds this particularly peculiar. He has had Apple reps slip information to him before, but not this freely. This info, he says, was offered straight off without any questioning, as if it isn’t a secret, but is. He believes Apple is purposely letting this information slip in an effort to further prove the company doesn’t need the Macworld Conference and Expo, and to immediately start generating interest in their own event and to build bigger news than what’s coming from the Moscone Center this week. If this is true, it’s working.

Apple will more than likely be holding a special event shortly for the two big announcements; the first is the Mac Mini, to which Apple expects to you… excuse me… yawn. The second is in true Apple style, completely a secret. But it’s gigantic and will make your mouth drop in a way that doesn’t involve yawning. Stay tuned, things should be heating up shortly.

link to article at appletell: http://www.appletell.com/apple/comme...omething-huge/
post #2 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

It seems more apple insider sources are seeding other tech columnists with info that a new Mac Mini and a "huge" surprise will be revealed later this month by Apple.

Well, if this other huge surprise is iPhone related, my jaw may drop but it will be from yawn.
post #3 of 488
iPhone nano anyone? Yawn...

But perhaps it's a mid-range tower? The X-Mac!
What other hardware could reasonably be presented along a Mac mini?

Alternatively something along a Superbowl ad, some 25th anniversary Macintosh.
Although '2009 won't be like 2009' somehow does not have the same ring as '1984 won't be like 1984'.
[They could try that again in 2012, perhaps.]

We'll see. We should know no later than 1st week of February. And if really Apple intentionally leaked those 'rumors' then I'm sure they're going to leak some more until the official unveiling.

Yet last time Apple stirred up public interest all we got was a lukewarm iTunes announcement...
post #4 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

iPhone nano anyone? Yawn...

But perhaps it's a mid-range tower? The X-Mac!
What other hardware could reasonably be presented along a Mac mini?

Alternatively something along a Superbowl ad, some 25th anniversary Macintosh.
Although '2009 won't be like 2009' somehow does not have the same ring as '1984 won't be like 1984'.
[They could try that again in 2012, perhaps.]

We'll see. We should know no later than 1st week of February. And if really Apple intentionally leaked those 'rumors' then I'm sure they're going to leak some more until the official unveiling.

Yet last time Apple stirred up public interest all we got was a lukewarm iTunes announcement...

Yeah that purposefully boring macworld was to spite IDG it would seem. But it might bite them in the foot because its like they are crying wolf or something.
Would you guys really yawn if it was an iphone nano?
Heh, heh......after the Palm Pre news a negative reception to an iphone nano should be pretty entertaining.
post #5 of 488
If Apple did make a small tower or 25th Anniversary Mac model, and it used i7 processors, how would the i7 processor power compare with the quad and 8 core Xeon MacPro? I'd expect it to slot inbetween iMac and MacPro, in terms of power. There's a lot of confusion over the potential new desktops though, with the 28" iMac, Mac mini/Apple TV, xMac and whatever else there is flying around. Maybe they'll kill the iMac and sell packages with the 24" DisplayPort LCD (yeah right).
post #6 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

If Apple did make a small tower or 25th Anniversary Mac model, and it used i7 processors, how would the i7 processor power compare with the quad and 8 core Xeon MacPro? I'd expect it to slot inbetween iMac and MacPro, in terms of power. There's a lot of confusion over the potential new desktops though, with the 28" iMac, Mac mini/Apple TV, xMac and whatever else there is flying around. Maybe they'll kill the iMac and sell packages with the 24" DisplayPort LCD (yeah right).

While an updated macpro would be cool I don't see it being this "huge" announcement everybody in the know is talking about.
post #7 of 488
Ebook / ejournal reader. Books store. Deals with newspapers.

If I am right I am a genius.
post #8 of 488
Quote:

Would you guys really yawn if it was an iphone nano?

Yes

The iPhone Nano sounds good enough in theory, but any phone, regardless of how cool it is, that's stuck to a phone company whose prices and service are terrible (AT&T in the states, Rogers in Canada) won't get me excited.

Now opening the iPhone to other carriers? That's more like it.
post #9 of 488
Here is my theory.......Apple becomes their own wireless network provider. You heard it here first folks!
post #10 of 488
Quote:

Here is my theory.......Apple becomes their own wireless network provider. You heard it here first folks!

How about Apple buys Sprint. Your precious Pre is screwed.
When they said "Think Different", I ran with it.
post #11 of 488
Time to dig this up.
Quote:
Appleinsider Dec. 2006: Apple intends to integrate the software on a couple of devices beginning early next year, those people say, while more comprehensive plans call for it to form the bedrock of a jaw-dropping device not due to hit the market until the following year.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._strategy.html Could we finally see the jaw dropping device?
post #12 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by murk View Post

LOL! That would be hilarious if that were to happen.
post #13 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Ebook / ejournal reader. Books store. Deals with newspapers...

That's not new ... it's called an iPhone (or iPod Touch.)
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, "Look at that!" -...
post #14 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So I bought myself an ipod touch a few days ago to see if my theories on such devices held true.
And yup I was right. The screen is too small to do any real reading, browsing, or even very light computing. However the screen size does lend itself toward very brief computer functions which I guess what a cell phone is good for anyways.

Screen size versus pocketability. I think Apple has the answer.
Well, the entire industry already has the answer. But which company will be the first out with the answer in the form of a mass produced commercial product?
post #15 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan i Sabbah View Post

Ebook / ejournal reader. Books store. Deals with newspapers.

While I don't see it as a device specifically designed to be an ebook reader that would be a functionality supported on the device. Or I should say devices as I can see Apple marketing Touch based devices in several sizes. Hopefully the first device is paperback sized or slightly bigger.

I still see such a device filling the roll of a Newton 2 or bigger iPod Touch. The larger screen obviously makes for better net connectivity and eBook reader functionality. With the tech Apple is able to throw at it the device should come in very thin and hopefully crammed with flash.
Quote:
If I am right I am a genius.

Actually I hope you are very close, but no genius award for you. I'm also hoping I'm close when it comes to internal storage. I really hope that Apple grasps just how important lots of flash will be in this device.

For example I have several magazine subscriptions that I read regurally. Some of these I would very much like to see stored on a device like this basically forever. Not all magazines mind you but at least the ones that I like to refer back to often. It would sort of become an electronic book shelf of sorts, greatly reducing the sizes of physical collections. Likewise with books, some you just need to keep forever others are only good for a partial read.

The other twist Apple needs to throw on this is searchability. Hopefully every delivery of a newspaper, magazine or book would result in that publication being indexed and cataloged into a searchable database. The one thing that sucks about physical books is finding that piece O' info you know you read about last year!

Dave
post #16 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The device might use the same OS but that doesn't mean that the iPhone is passable as an ebook reader. It is not even close, this from somebody that loves his iPhone. The problem is nothing more than the lack of screen real estate. A secondary issue is the lack of storage.

In any event I'm beginning to wonder if we are on the wrong track here. After all this is suppose to be a device with no rumors circulating about it. The problem is tablet rumors are rampant.

Dave
post #17 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While I don't see it as a device specifically designed to be an ebook reader that would be a functionality supported on the device. Or I should say devices as I can see Apple marketing Touch based devices in several sizes. Hopefully the first device is paperback sized or slightly bigger.

I still see such a device filling the roll of a Newton 2 or bigger iPod Touch. The larger screen obviously makes for better net connectivity and eBook reader functionality. With the tech Apple is able to throw at it the device should come in very thin and hopefully crammed with flash.

Actually I hope you are very close, but no genius award for you. I'm also hoping I'm close when it comes to internal storage. I really hope that Apple grasps just how important lots of flash will be in this device.

For example I have several magazine subscriptions that I read regurally. Some of these I would very much like to see stored on a device like this basically forever. Not all magazines mind you but at least the ones that I like to refer back to often. It would sort of become an electronic book shelf of sorts, greatly reducing the sizes of physical collections. Likewise with books, some you just need to keep forever others are only good for a partial read.

The other twist Apple needs to throw on this is searchability. Hopefully every delivery of a newspaper, magazine or book would result in that publication being indexed and cataloged into a searchable database. The one thing that sucks about physical books is finding that piece O' info you know you read about last year!

Dave

Wizard69......its going to be a flexible screen not a tablet. That is the answer.
post #18 of 488
I'm having a hard time believing all of this "jaw-dropping" device stuff. If this is such an incredible thing and so secretly guarded, why would Apple see that a couple of outside people were told about it (a journalist no less)? If this really happened it wouldn't still be a secret.
post #19 of 488
Quote:

Wizard69......its going to be a flexible screen not a tablet. That is the answer.

This is certainly possible as I've read many an artical in PHOTONICS/Spectra over the last couple of years reporting on the efforts in the various labs. It would be expensive though but not so much for the screen as the electronics. The biggest problems with roll up screens is where do you put the electronics. A CPU board running parallel to the screen offers up a lot of space for electronics that really don't take up much space.

How one deals with this on a roll up screen will be very interesting. Maybe Apple can meet the issue half way with a folding screen. This folder would likely be better suited for an iPhone but could offer a realtively large screen in a trifold design. I think I would like such an IPhone but I'm not sure about a larger device.

Dave
post #20 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I'm having a hard time believing all of this "jaw-dropping" device stuff. If this is such an incredible thing and so secretly guarded, why would Apple see that a couple of outside people were told about it (a journalist no less)? If this really happened it wouldn't still be a secret.

I guess they wanted to make sure that the buzz was not going to be around macworld but for another event. If they have their own event and Steve debuted something spectacular then they will prove that they don't need Macworld anymore for any major announcements.
post #21 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Maybe Apple can meet the issue half way with a folding screen.

Agree. I don't think roll-up screens are the future as the constant roll/unroll wear and tear would bring them to an end too quickly.
But a folding screen, like the one Samsung demonstrated, would make sense IMHO.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/09/o...exible-screen/

Since OLEDs can be 0.5mm thin, or even thinner, two such screens folding up would not actually make the device much thicker. The hinge is the real engineering issue.
But as with Samsung's prototype, for a mobile phone you'd almost want 3 screens, one on the outside and two folding on the inside, to not have to unfold it every time you get a call.

A multitouch MacTablet like that would be amazing though. Imagine something smaller to carry than a MacBook but when unfolded with same screen real estate than a MacBook Pro 17".

I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing such a device within the next decade.
post #22 of 488
Any chance that Apple just wants the buzz to keep interest and stock values high knowing that Macworld would be a total flop?
post #23 of 488
Steve is stepping down due to health issues!
post #24 of 488
A portly gentleman walks onto the stage. Everyone squints. Is it Phil Schiller? Is it Al Gore? No, it a 250 lbs Steve Jobs. The web is suddenly inundated with posts about Steve being morbidly obese.
post #25 of 488
Quote:

A portly gentleman walks onto the stage. Everyone squints. Is it Phil Schiller? Is it Al Gore? No, it a 250 lbs Steve Jobs. The web is suddenly inundated with posts about Steve being morbidly obese.

Steve ate Phil Schiller

Personally, if they are truly going to shock me, I'd say they bring back Woz to run the company.
post #26 of 488
Wow, I use my iPhone as an e-book reader all the time.
An app called "File Magnet" will read any number of file formats, me preference being .pdf, but it also reads others. Held sideways, the screen is about the width of a paperback... the text is plenty big (I zoom the display to get rid of margins, so the text goes from edge to edge.) It scrolls down the pages by tilting the iPhone, the more you tilt, the faster it scrolls. I can read without ever touching the screen... just a slight tilt every couple seconds keeps the page scrolling by as fast as I can read it.
The text is easily as big as a pulp paperback.

So I really don't understand the bit about it being a poor reader. (Unless you guys are reading a lot of Dr. Seuss, where full-page illustrations are the major part of the story. )

Now, finding new-release fiction in a non-protected format could be a challenge, but there's a ton of stuff out there as public domain that is available as PDF or TEXT.
post #27 of 488
It doesn't have to be hardware, it could be Snow Leopard and I don't think the Mac Mini needs to pale in comparison to it. You know the rules - the underdog always wins out in the end.

Core 2 Quad 2GHz Mac Mini with 9600M GT, SSD optional. No more iMac. People will be shocked but then they'll bring up Snow Leopard that uses the hardware to the fullest and this tiny computer will perform specific tasks faster than the last generation Mac Pro.

The multi-touch tablet is a must but I don't see it coming with Leopard so Snow Leopard has to be coming anyway.

The 20th anniversary Mac was a foresight into Apple's future for the next few years and was the first incarnation of the iMac. The 25th anniversary Mac will move away from this model and demonstrate Apple's new goal of high performance parallel computing in a small package and this comes from the Mini. Apple's most versatile and affordable personal super-computer.

This allows them to develop touch-based desktop screens at a far lower cost and ones that can be sold to all users, including users of Windows 7. Stick an Apple logo in front of people so they are aware of the brand.

The future is modular. One day our laptop, our TV, our desktop, our phone will all be one and the same processing hardware running the same OS. You simply pull your processing module with data out and plug it into the display that is most convenient for you. It will begin with Apple's most modular device, the Mini and develop from there.
post #28 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The future is modular. One day our laptop, our TV, our desktop, our phone will all be one and the same processing hardware running the same OS. You simply pull your processing module with data out and plug it into the display that is most convenient for you. It will begin with Apple's most modular device, the Mini and develop from there.

This doesn't surprise me. There have always seemed to be 2 ways at looking at gadgets and devices - the Microsoft one and the Apple one.

Microsoft has wanted people to have one computer to run it all. That's why you get stuff like media PCs with endless ports and tv tuners -one computer that can perform multiple tasks, such as a media player, TV, computer, gaming machine, etc. The problem is that you need to have a machine good at everything, and windows machines rarely are.

Apple has been more in favor of everyone having their devices, but making them all work and communicate simply. Items like the airport, time machine, plus software integration of iPods, iPhones and cameras into software help with this. It also helps that some one the hardware is made by apple, so it behooves them to get people to buy more gadgets. Basically, apple would like you to have tons of apple gadgets, multiple computers, an apple TV, etc., all communicating. More products = more sales, and apple's branding and development of wireless hubs only adds to this.

I think you're right, apple's approach will win out in the end since it seems to fit people's lifestyles more. The ease of use easily trumps a massive computer in the living room that has an appearence to the average person as being too complicated to use.
post #29 of 488
Quote:

It seems more apple insider sources are seeding other tech columnists with info that a new Mac Mini and a "huge" surprise will be revealed later this month by Apple. As you read below it would seem Apple is doing this on purpose.

Oh great, an even "huger" iMac. . . .
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
Crentist?! That sounds an awful lot like *dentist.*
Maybe thats why he wanted to be a dentist!
post #30 of 488
....OR, Andy Ihnatko simply had a bad informant.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #31 of 488
I put the odds that Apple is drawing attention to their own event as especially high. Sure, there's going to be One More Thing, and it's not going to be a small thing, but when I read "jaw dropping" I am reminded of the MacWorld that was going to be "bigger than the rumors." Yeah.

The most interesting thing that has happened recently is the announcement of over-the-air iTunes downloads, because I see from that and the last Apple TV update and MobileMe a possible move of the Digital Lifestyle away from the Mac and into MobileMe. There's no reason for Apple to disable iPhone or iPod syncing with Macs, because Macs will always have more storage and bigger screens but I wonder if increasingly the devices will be able to sync OTA. You can get everything else OTA on the iPhone now, after all.

This is where Apple is trying to grow, viz. iWork '09 and iLife '09. And--how to put this gently--they have a great deal of room to grow within their installed base. Bluntly, they're going to have to expand the service to cover more than roughly 1% of their users if they want it to be a significant part of the platform.

[edit: Since this Future Hardware, I should add that I would be truly shocked if this "jaw dropping" thing is a piece of hardware.]
"...within intervention's distance of the embassy." - CvB

Original music:
The Mayflies - Black earth Americana. Now on iTMS!
Becca Sutlive - Iowa Fried Rock 'n Roll - now on iTMS!

Original music:
post #32 of 488
The only thing would make my jaw drop would be Mac touch running Snow Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't know, he sounds pretty convincing/convinced. I think it's for real. I hope it's genuinely "NO WAY!!" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorph

Since this (is in) Future Hardware, I should add that I would be truly shocked if this "jaw dropping" thing is a piece of hardware.

That's a given. It's obvious it's going to be hardware.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #33 of 488
Quote:

What's Sprint?

/I know what it is. It's just sometimes people seem to think Apple serves only the US.
post #34 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Don't underestimate Apple's tactical tenacity. They have a habit of changing it up.
post #35 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It doesn't have to be hardware, it could be Snow Leopard and I don't think the Mac Mini needs to pale in comparison to it.

OS's aren't "Jaw dropping", they just aren't. If true it'll be hardware.
post #36 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm not a reader of this guy, so can anyone confirm whether or not he's been accurate or not over the past? I just want to know if he's a credible journalist or a blogging fanboy.
post #37 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't know, he sounds pretty convincing/convinced. I think it's for real. I hope it's genuinely "NO WAY!!" though.

Same here. But I want it to happen NOW! Can't wait any longer! Need to buy a new computer!!!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post

I'm not a reader of this guy, so can anyone confirm whether or not he's been accurate or not over the past? I just want to know if he's a credible journalist or a blogging fanboy.

He's prone to gushing sometimes, but I generally like the guy and he's pretty respected in the Mac community.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #39 of 488
Quote:

That's a given. It's obvious it's going to be hardware.

I don't agree. Apple hardware currently consists of the largest practicable screen on which to present software and as little else as they can get away with. The only piece of hardware that is not either hidden behind a display or small enough to hide in a jewelry box is the Mac Pro, and that's because its design criteria (expandable, top-end hardware) require it to be huge. All except for the iPod classic run OS X.

All the action is in software, networking and services.

Consider the fact that, for the first time, consumers are forgoing the big, heavy laptops because the small, cheap ones are actually powerful enough to do what they need. Hardware is finally reaching a plateau where you can make what used to be significant compromises in hardware and still have a product that appeals to a general audience. Hell, I read recently that people are getting iPhones because they're close enough to notebooks and wireless internet, but cheaper, and in the economic downturn cheaper closes the deal. In terms of the actual hardware powering it, the iPhone is blandly generic.

The only people still hungry for the latest and greatest hardware are professionals in industries that require massive number-crunching capabilities and hardcore gamers. Of course, Apple will continue to cater to the former market (gaming is a lost cause, for now), but for most people the issue now is not whether the machine can do what they want to do, but how easily. For Apple, the major change they can take advantage of is that nearly all of their devices now run OS X and have some form of network connectivity. That opens up a whole new frontier for Apple.

I'm not going to say that there's no possible way it will be a hardware announcement. But it will definitely surprise me.

Original music:

Original music:
post #40 of 488
Quote:

It's just sometimes people seem to think Apple serves only the US.

So does Apple unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland

OS's aren't "Jaw dropping", they just aren't. If true it'll be hardware.

Without the new hardware, Snow Leopard won't be jaw-dropping. Plus it depends what impresses you most personally.

The trouble with hardware is that it won't impress everyone. New iMacs, I don't care, new Mac Pros are great but I'm probably not going to buy one. New Cinema displays likewise. New laptops great but I want a desktop. Touch tablets are great but as impressive as it might be, I'm personally not going to get one. They will satisfy a certain group and I think they should make one but Axiotron have them to some extent already and the new ones based on the MBP look pretty cool. This dampens the introduction of a tablet severely.

An Apple model will be ok but it's just something I will look at in store. The iphone by contrast is something I had a chance of owning and now own because it benefits me. A new OS and a fast desktop will do this and it is accessible to every Mac user out there. Done well enough, it will drop jaws sufficiently. There will need to be new hardware but I think the impressive part will be how the software handles it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..