or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..

Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all.. - Page 10

post #361 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What do you want me to say?

Just join in on the discussion!

Do you think it's a good idea for Apple to offer a 30"-50" flatscreen TV with AppleTV built-in at a time when everyone just bought a new flatscreen TV? Or is this doomed to fail? What's your take?

Do you think Apple would be wise to release OSX onto the Windows PC world? Or how about a limited number of OEMs only?
Nay too risky? Yay give it a go and see?

What's your guess on whether we'll see a Superbowl ad this year?
(Shouldn't the list of advertisers be out already?!?)

p.s.
Oh, and have you bought your Apple shares yet? Still waiting?
Hope you're not waiting too long?!?
post #362 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

When Apple enters a market, they make the whole widget. And they're not about to enter the Car-making business...

Oh yeah Frank? Where's my Apple television set??
post #363 of 488
Are you guys starting to suggest Apple will announce an eco-friendly *car* this Superbowl? That is sooooo... beyond nuts. Maybe a car dashboard "intelligent system" that is licensed to multiple manufacturers.

Would totally justify Ihnatko's OMFG WTF !!!!! ravings.

If it were true at all.
post #364 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Would totally justify Ihnatko's OMFG WTF !!!!! ravings.

Anyone else annoyed with Ihnatko yet?I'm ready to slap the guy upside the head over this whole mess. I feel like I'm being set up for a huge letdown. Well, that or I'll be waiting to buy a computer for ages because I'll be waiting for whatever this whole thing is.
post #365 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Just join in on the discussion!

p.s.
Oh, and have you bought your Apple shares yet? Still waiting?
Hope you're not waiting too long?!?

I bought $40,000 worth of AAPL stock on Friday.

See the superbowl thread.
post #366 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Anyone else annoyed with Ihnatko yet?I'm ready to slap the guy upside the head over this whole mess. I feel like I'm being set up for a huge letdown. Well, that or I'll be waiting to buy a computer for ages because I'll be waiting for whatever this whole thing is.

All the major announcements of the year from Apple won't happen until June at the earliest. They have the iphone 3.0 due at that time which in my mind is actually the REAL 2nd generation iphone using totally new hardware. The iphone 3G was really just the iphone 1.0 with a 3G radio.
The new version........give me a moment.

I've just finished watching "quarantine". The movie still is giving me the shakes. \

Anyways, the iphone 3rd generation will be out most likely in June just in time for Steve Jobs' return. Beyond that is the probable ipod touch extreme tablet or whatever in the fall. And between now and June we will see the imac and mac mini refreshes. At this point I have no idea what that big nerd Ihnatko was referring to.

Wait, what was that? I thought I heard a sound coming from the dark hallway. \
post #367 of 488
Quote:

I want to do something of biblical proportions to his ass. That said, thanks to whatever this next fantastic thing whenever it comes, in the meantime it is all helping me save my cash in these here troubled times than going off and blowing it on a MacBook Pro or something.
post #368 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

Can we have an official countdown to Superbowl thread? I think I get it live on Satellite TV here in Asia. Tennis first up in a few hours...
post #369 of 488
Quote:

Like I've said though, the people who are just as much to blame are people who blow out of proportion the zero information that people offer. If someone comes along and says that a company is going to do something amazing then why give them any more recognition than you do to the spam emails that fill your inbox that tell you some amazing workout will give you a 6-pack in a few weeks or increase your length by 2 inches or that everyone is buying stock in company x?

The whole principle of marketing is to sell people what they want and the easiest way to do that is to sell them a tin of unmarked seeds and let them believe the seeds will grow into whatever they want. It's your choice to hold the cow or buy the magic beans but there's no sense in complaining when you don't get a beanstalk and run out of milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmimlea in Superbowl thread

I think it will be big. I expect new iMacs, including a quad core, 32" model, 'next generation 64 bit operating system' (Snow Leopard), a further showcase of iLife '09, iTunes, and heavy play on green credentials. There may also be the new app store for Mac. Apple likes surprises even more than secrets.

This is all very well if they do this but Apple won't drop the price. Assuming that they come out with a 32" model, who is going to be buying it?

It would have to be Mac related because of the fact that the ipod/iphone thing is stable and it's a Mac anniversary. I don't think it will be ilife/itunes etc because that was covered at the Keynote. I could see it being Snow Leopard but not without hardware to go along with it.

Even then, I think they'd want to demo the product than just have a teaser advert.
post #370 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Can we have an official countdown to Superbowl thread? I think I get it live on Satellite TV here in Asia. Tennis first up in a few hours...

I'm usually the one hoping Apple will do something at events such as the supebowl or 25th anniversaries and whatnot.

But this time I'm going to say confidently that NOTHING will be announced from Apple during the superbowl. Sorry dude.

And those of you abroad in the UK or wherever don't bother waiting to find out either. The only thing to note during the superbowl commercials will be those ads for the summer movies. And you don't even have to wait to see them. The new transformers commercial and the GI Joe one (omg its going to suck) is already on youtube in HD.
post #371 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Oh yeah Frank? Where's my Apple television set??

That's just it. The AppleTV is a self contained media box that plugs into your television.

Apple already has a self contained media box that plugs into your car. It's called an iPod.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #372 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

So what is the list so far?

* OS X on on non macs
* Win32 API within OS X
* OS X API under Windows (Yellow box)
* AppleTV App Store
* AppleTV TV
* OS X App Store

Anything else?

C.

There has been plenty. everything from Pippin 2.0 to Apple buying Adobe.
post #373 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPie View Post

OK, I already thought it was Adobe. I googled 'Operating Margin - 5 Yr. Avg. 29.02' and found it.
< a lot of neat and interesting facts about software companies>

Thank your for this information.

Point being that software companies in general out perform the hardware companies.
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
just waiting to be included in one of Apple's target markets.
Don't get me wrong, I like the flat panel iMac, actually own an iMac, and I like the Mac mini, but...........
post #374 of 488
Quote:

You bought stock on a thread? Not a good idea.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #375 of 488
Quote:

You bought stock on a thread? Not a good idea.

Ahem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland on page 3

It's big, let's just put it that way. I won't confirm or deny anything after saying that, as I'd give it away. I want to buy some shares first.

Now that's not to say you were contemplating buying stock based on the thread but rather it just coincided with the thread.

This may be the case with the timmillea. Rather than believing the thread that a Superbowl announcement was coming, he may have had other assumptions.

Given the hype-delivery stuff that Apple has done in the past few years, I don't think that they will have anything major. Nothing worth a $40,000 investment anyway.

The major chip developments are in Core i7 and Apple can't use the desktop versions because of their design below the Mac Pro. Core i7 is beating everything AMD have to offer by a huge margin. Core 2 Quad isn't.

Recent news suggests that retailers are listing Gainestown in stock - released last week it seems. This suggests that Mac Pros are on the way soon but they will be expensive as usual.

The Core 2 quad is ready for the high end iMac and Nvidia chipsets all round.

What I would see happening but not really what I want is the following:

Dual Core Penryn Mini, 9400M chipset, possibly higher price points with inclusion of FW800 and DVDRW standard, though maybe a low end model with neither.

Dual Core on the 20" iMac models and quads on the 24" (this makes the price jump more than just 4" of screen space).

Gainestown Mac Pro maybe leaving out the quad and having 8-core at the current quad price point.

This improves things a bit but I wouldn't say anything to get overly excited about for the following reasons:

The Mini should have been updated long ago and should have had a dedicated GPU at one point. The quad iMacs will still be priced way above PC towers as the cheapest would be £1,125. Now yes it does have a 24" LED IPS panel and if you bought a Core 2 Quad PC with that kind of panel, you'd be set back about £550 for the machine + £600 for the display if you're very lucky = £1150.

However they are glossy and you can get 24" S-PVA panels, which are pretty nice for £200-300:

http://mobileshark.com/Gateway-FPD24...oogle-GB&id=uk

Not LED backlit but you can't use LED backlit panels for a computertan.

So as is the case with the current lineup, the iMac is good value but in a way that most people wouldn't appreciate on the mid-range as well as the fact glossy defeats a lot of the advantages of the IPS panel like better viewing angles.

Then we get to the Mac Pro. This is going to be a great machine if it has 8 Core i7 cores for about £1500. If they keep the single quad at that price, not so much.

Overall, we're basically in the same leaky boat: Mini underpowered, iMac limited and overpriced for the mid-range and the Mac Pro left for people who need the most raw power and have money to get there.

The only consolation is Snow Leopard or maybe not. If it has a March release, Apple could delay hardware for 6-8 weeks so they bundle the machines with it. I suspect they will ship sooner and maybe offer free upgrades for these machines only but no event announced yet.
post #376 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Now that's not to say you were contemplating buying stock based on the thread but rather it just coincided with the thread.

Maybe it's possible I know something you don't Marvin, it is possible you know. I never said I did, but that chap pointed over to a thread when he mentioned he bought $40,000 worth. Get real. Ahem, lol.
post #377 of 488
Marvin,

Agree with most of your post, except that Quad core cpus will only make into the 24" iMac.

The 20" iMacs should also get the quad core cpus as well, with the possible exception of the entry level iMac.

For $1500, consumers should get a Quad core machine at this time. Its pretty easy on the Windows platform. Assuming Apple keep their current price points that would mean the "better", 20" iMac would be $1500 and it should be quad core. Anything less will be a poor value and I don't know how they would be able to sell them.
post #378 of 488
It's the MultiDimensional GUI, complete with 3D in-air hand gestures to replace the mouse / trackpad. It will include DataPad function for connecting to the Galactic Holonet complete with holographic projector and special encryption to prevent Imperial entanglements.
post #379 of 488
You still won't be able to play Crysis on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJedi View Post

It's the MultiDimensional GUI, complete with 3D in-air hand gestures to replace the mouse / trackpad. It will include DataPad function for connecting to the Galactic Holonet complete with holographic projector and special encryption to prevent Imperial entanglements.
post #380 of 488
Quote:

Ummm... how's your investment doing...?
post #381 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Anything less will be a poor value and I don't know how they would be able to sell them.

Like they sell the Mac mini probably... \
post #382 of 488
Quote:

Maybe it's possible I know something you don't Marvin, it is possible you know.

Quite possible but 'knowledge' means facts not something you say you 'have figured out' and say you are '95% sure about'. There's a degree of irresponsibility when it comes to rumor-mongering from both preachers and believers.

Quote:

I never said I did, but that chap pointed over to a thread when he mentioned he bought $40,000 worth. Get real. Ahem, lol.

Of course you didn't, perhaps you are trying to convince other people to buy in the same way that people who report of Steve Jobs' death convince people to sell. If you didn't buy then it begs the question that if you are so sure of your 'knowledge', why haven't you? Is 95% certainty not enough for a shareholder?

How much stock do you already own btw? A few thousand? Given that AAPL dropped by half in 2 months last year, shareholders must be desperate to push it back up.

The last drop in shares happened just after new Mac announcements and hasn't recovered. It coincided with the glossy iMac release exactly. To avoid the same thing, Apple know what they need to do and it's not deliver more of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac

Agree with most of your post, except that Quad core cpus will only make into the 24" iMac.

The 20" iMacs should also get the quad core cpus as well, with the possible exception of the entry level iMac.

For $1500, consumers should get a Quad core machine at this time.

I would agree that's certainly how it should be. But Apple could also offer the 3.06GHz chips with the current 20" iMac. They know that displays don't matter to people because you can get an external one so they tie the spec to it so you have no choice but to pay much more.

They've signed a deal with LG so they will have orders for high end display panels that they need to shift. The only way to do this is to make the high end worth the price. Apple's solution to this is to cripple everything below it.
post #383 of 488
Quote:

Ahem:
The only consolation is Snow Leopard or maybe not. If it has a March release, Apple could delay hardware for 6-8 weeks so they bundle the machines with it. I suspect they will ship sooner and maybe offer free upgrades for these machines only but no event announced yet.

Don't hold your breath for Snow Leopard release. If you don't want to break-up with the reality June is the most optimistic timeframe. September - October sounds more realistic for me.
post #384 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post

Don't hold your breath for Snow Leopard release. If you don't want to break-up with the reality June is the most optimistic timeframe. September - October sounds more realistic for me.

Here's a question: when is Windows 7 coming out? While Apple only wants to stick to its schedule and ignore everyone else's, it seems to me that Snow Leopard would want to be out before Windows 7. It seems to be getting better reviews than Vista. Could it flop like Vista? Possibly, but if they put it out first and it doesn't totally suck, I could see a lot of potential switchers going back to MS.

Seriously, I know we all will stick with Mac, but if there's a shiny new Windows OS ("now even more like Mac OSX!!"), no new Mac OS, and the desktops are still sporting their ancient specs, then Apple could really be shooting itself in the foot. After all, by neglecting the desktops, they've ticked off Mac fanatics like us, while trying to get new users instead - if they lose this group it could possibly be one of the worst moments in the second Jobs era.
post #385 of 488
Quote:

I would agree that's certainly how it should be. But Apple could also offer the 3.06GHz chips with the current 20" iMac. They know that displays don't matter to people because you can get an external one so they tie the spec to it so you have no choice but to pay much more.

They've signed a deal with LG so they will have orders for high end display panels that they need to shift. The only way to do this is to make the high end worth the price. Apple's solution to this is to cripple everything below it.

Well time will tell. I certainly wouldn't put it past Apple to simply throw in a faster dual core cpu on the 20" models. But that would be a poor value and I don't see how they would sell them without reducing the prices on those models which isn't Apple's MO.

SL is around the corner. Lets hope that Apple give us a Mac that can grow into SL and harness its capabilities. If not, I'll certainly wait.

Mac sales have benefited to certain extent from the foibles of MS and Vista. Those days appear to coming to an end. Win7 is getting very positive reviews. Simply having cute 'I'm a Mac. I'm a PC' commercials that poke fun at Vista ain't gonna drive sales anymore.
post #386 of 488
Quote:

Mac sales have benefited to certain extent from the foibles of MS and Vista. Those days appear to coming to an end. Win7 is getting very positive reviews. Simply having cute 'I'm a Mac. I'm a PC' commercials that poke fun at Vista ain't gonna drive sales anymore.

Amen!

But does Apple know this? And more importantly will they heed this advice?

Apple certainly has the R&D, chip designers and patents to stir things up nicely. But will they ever use them?
So far all they've done is pretty evolutionary with baby steps. No big stirrups. Even the iPhone is in a way just retargeting of existing technology. Multitouch being the one exception.

What can we truly hope to expect? More of the same I'm afraid. With changes only in the details. Like over-engineered 8 hour batteries based on existing tech (rather than risking new battery technology).

But there's always hope for a nice surprise...
post #387 of 488
Quote:

There are release windows which are better than others. Whether the development of SL is progressed enough to use these windows, we don't know.

Let's find a possible time slot:

Most agree that WWDC is the place when the new iPhone 3.0 will be introduced. Makes sense. Phil Schiller even said the iPhone is on a June release plan.
Does anyone think that SL will be introduced at the same time? Don't think so. Bad marketing.

Summer is usually a dead season for marketing hence July/August is probably out of the question for any major introduction.

Will Apple wait until September for Snow Leopard's introduction? Then they'd go head-to-head with Windows 7. Not good either.

So the only logical slot left is April or May. Which makes sense for WWDC as well as this would not steal the thunder from the iPhone but still give Apple a chance to run all sessions on SL they want (as it is fully introduced).

With SL being optimized for multi-cores I wouldn't be surprised to see new Mac Pros with 16 threads (dual quad-core i7 chips) introduced alongside to show-case SL.

From this deduction April/May makes the most sense for SL's introduction.
And I'm sure Apple aims for that as well.
Whether they can deliver? I'm certain even they don't know for sure.
post #388 of 488
Quote:

Here's a question: when is Windows 7 coming out? While Apple only wants to stick to its schedule and ignore everyone else's, it seems to me that Snow Leopard would want to be out before Windows 7. It seems to be getting better reviews than Vista. Could it flop like Vista? Possibly, but if they put it out first and it doesn't totally suck, I could see a lot of potential switchers going back to MS.

Seriously, I know we all will stick with Mac, but if there's a shiny new Windows OS ("now even more like Mac OSX!!"), no new Mac OS, and the desktops are still sporting their ancient specs, then Apple could really be shooting itself in the foot. After all, by neglecting the desktops, they've ticked off Mac fanatics like us, while trying to get new users instead - if they lose this group it could possibly be one of the worst moments in the second Jobs era.

It is widely acknowledged that Vista problems helped to boost Apple switchers. But the history is not going to repeat itself. And this is not a matter how Snow Leopard stacks against Windows 7. The main reasoning behind switching after Vista release was as follows:
  • Vista requires new harware anyway
  • Vista brings driver incompatibility anyway
  • For an XP user, Vista requires a learning curve anyway

None of this will be true for the Vista - Windows 7 upgrade path. For the XP users, those who decided to skip Vista or were waiting for service pack 1/2 are now anticipating Windows 7. Microsoft failed badly with Vista, bad timing including, but are making a pretty good job at promoting Windows 7, good timing including.

Note that the percent of switchers compared to the new mac users might be large, but the percent of users compared to the XP user base is small. In other words, the number of switchers N is much larger percent from the mac users M, than from the Windows XP users 10M.

As far as the majority of the reviews are considered, WIndows 7 is represented as a Giant Step Forward. I don't believe this is the case. I mean, significant improvement at best. But good job for Microsoft in this department as well.
post #389 of 488
I would wager the far majority of people buying 20" iMac are not rendering 3D images or doing scientific computation. Quad core does little to benefit surfing the internet, word processing, or writing emails. Faster dual processors are more likely to speed some of the basic tasks of the average computer user.

Quote:

Well time will tell. I certainly wouldn't put it past Apple to simply throw in a faster dual core cpu on the 20" models. But that would be a poor value and I don't see how they would sell them without reducing the prices on those models which isn't Apple's MO.
post #390 of 488
Quote:

It is widely acknowledged that Vista problems helped to boost Apple switchers. But the history is not going to repeat itself. And this is not a matter how Snow Leopard stacks against Windows 7. The main reasoning behind switching after Vista release was as follows:
  • Vista requires new harware anyway
  • Vista brings driver incompatibility anyway
  • For an XP user, Vista requires a learning curve anyway

None of this will be true for the Vista - Windows 7 upgrade path. For the XP users, those who decided to skip Vista or were waiting for service pack 1/2 are now anticipating Windows 7. Microsoft failed badly with Vista, bad timing including, but are making a pretty good job at promoting Windows 7, good timing including.

Note that the percent of switchers compared to the new mac users might be large, but the percent of users compared to the XP user base is small. In other words, the number of switchers N is much larger percent from the mac users M, than from the Windows XP users 10M.

As far as the majority of the reviews are considered, WIndows 7 is represented as a Giant Step Forward. I don't believe this is the case. I mean, significant improvement at best. But good job for Microsoft in this department as well.
post #391 of 488
Quote:

Amen!
But does Apple know this? And more importantly will they heed this advice?
Apple certainly has the R&D, chip designers and patents to stir things up nicely. But will they ever use them? So far all they've done is pretty evolutionary with baby steps. No big stirrups. Even the iPhone is in a way just retargeting of existing technology. Multitouch being the one exception.

What exactly do you expect Apple to do? Apple has gotten Intel and Nvidia to develop specialized chips and chipsets to keep their machines ahead of the technology curve. Apple can only work with technology that is currently available, currently works without problems, and isn't prohibitively expensive.

Quote:
What can we truly hope to expect? More of the same I'm afraid. With changes only in the details. Like over-engineered 8 hour batteries based on existing tech (rather than risking new battery technology).

Exactly what new battery technology are you talking about? Who else uses this battery technology? Apple knows all of the battery technology options available and have likely experimented with various options. Ultimately they have to use what is available and isn't prohibitively expensive.

How do you define over engineered 8 hour battery, no one else offers an integrated 8 hour battery in a 17" notebook as thin and light as the MacBook Pro.
post #392 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I would wager the far majority of people buying 20" iMac are not rendering 3D images or doing scientific computation. Quad core does little to benefit surfing the internet, word processing, or writing emails.

Why are they putting dual core cpus in those machines if that's all the average buyer of the 20" iMac does with their Mac? They'd get by fine with a pentium or Atom.

The new iMovie requires more processing power than the old version. I don't know if can leverage the power of a quad core cpu but it could use that processing power to analyze video for stabilization.

If they keep a dual core cpu in the 20" iMac, we'll see how well it does. I predict it will sell poorly. I know where you stand.
post #393 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

Of course you didn't, perhaps you are trying to convince other people to buy in the same way that people who report of Steve Jobs' death convince people to sell. If you didn't buy then it begs the question that if you are so sure of your 'knowledge', why haven't you? Is 95% certainty not enough for a shareholder?

I never said I didn't buy shares either. You have got mixed up somewhere along the way.
post #394 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What exactly do you expect Apple to do? [...]
Apple can only work with technology that is currently available, currently works without problems, and isn't prohibitively expensive.

No. If it doesn't exist, make it. That's what engineering is about.
The first personal computer didn't exist, computer parts didn't exist. Apple made them, programmed them.
Graphical user interfaces barely existed outside corporate labs. Apple made it available.

This kind of engineering.
Trying something completely new. That hasn't been done before. With all the risks involved.

Apple has enough money in the bank to try a few things and fail a few times. It won't break them.
They just need the will to do it. To be bold. And not do conservative baby steps that consist of refining existing technology, rather than making something completely new.

Regarding battery technologies:
silver-zinc as done by zpower
fuel cells as done by Toshiba
solar panels integrated into LCD as done by Apple

And to those critics who say that these technologies are not ready for prime time I'd say, make it ready!
That's what engineering is about.
post #395 of 488
I'd like to see some sort of update Apple TV with a special app store and GAMES. It would be the perfect multimedia device. It could play shows/movies/music/pictures/games and other apps. For a controller you would use an iPod Touch/iPhone. You could download an app for free that connects to Apple TV and lets you connect with it. It would act as a controller that would change for various games. You could use multi-touch in ways to interact with the game. You could also use the accelerometer for some games. The app would also allow you to show your devices screen on the TV screen. You could directly transfer media between your device and the Apple TV. It would also work as a remote for selecting movies and music. It would have an upgradeable hard drive that would start out as 500GB/1TB. It would have a big place in the gaming market, with the ability to download games right from home and the multi-touch control scheme.
post #396 of 488
Quote:

I never said I didn't buy shares either. You have got mixed up somewhere along the way.

Yes, you never answered my question re whether you bought shares.
And with a lack of response on your side Marvin probably assumed you didn't (which is probably a fair enough assumption).

So at least now we know. And you seem to put your money where your 95% estimate is.
post #397 of 488
Quote:

The problem with realistic timeframes is that we have almost no frame of reference. We just don't know what stage they are at. It's a safer bet to assume later than earlier but without an update on SL progress, we can't know for sure.

OpenCL is at the usable stage:

http://sa08.idav.ucdavis.edu/NVIDIA....emo.Harris.pdf

so presumably that part of SL is ready (wonder if they used SL to build it) but they will likely have to do developer betas as the release approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat

it seems to me that Snow Leopard would want to be out before Windows 7. It seems to be getting better reviews than Vista. Could it flop like Vista?

At least one thing has stayed the same:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/03/w...e-has-come-to/

Don't know if they will ditch the 32-bit version or double that number like Vista. Then you have to remember that it's still Windows underneath. I don't have massive problems with the OS but things like the registry, system settings, UI mess (no global menu), Windows Explorer (not IE the filesystem browser) are still there.

Windows 7 might be a better Windows but it's still Windows and no unix goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobBit

So the only logical slot left is April or May. Which makes sense for WWDC as well as this would not steal the thunder from the iPhone but still give Apple a chance to run all sessions on SL they want (as it is fully introduced).

I think May would be too close to the early June WWDC. I am hoping late March/April.

They could release it at WWDC though because the new iphone will have developments from SL too given that it runs OS X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell

I would wager the far majority of people buying 20" iMac are not rendering 3D images or doing scientific computation. Quad core does little to benefit surfing the internet, word processing, or writing emails. Faster dual processors are more likely to speed some of the basic tasks of the average computer user.

I wonder which chips they'd use because the prices of the mobile chips haven't dropped that much. The Core 2 Extremes are still pretty high. If they transition to desktop processors, the prices should drop considerably.

For example, the Core 2 Extreme 3.06GHz is $851 but the Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz is just $369. This could mean the iMac would top out at $1699.

The lowest model even with a quad processor would stay around the same price. I doubt they'd go with the 24" across the lineup and drop the 20". I wonder how they will fit a 65W chip into the 20" shell. The 24" at least has some leg room for more advanced cooling.
post #398 of 488
Quote:

Yes, you never answered my question re whether you bought shares.
And with a lack of response on your side Marvin probably assumed you didn't (which is probably a fair enough assumption).

So at least now we know. And you seem to put your money where your 95% estimate is.

I never said I did either

And btw, assumption is the mother of all....
post #399 of 488
Quote:

I never said I did either

I know. And I never said you did. I just said 'you seem to'.

Care to elaborate or shall this riddle in the dark remain lingering in the mist of uncertainty for all eternity...
post #400 of 488
Ireland... hobBIT... you guys are missing the point.

NONE OF US CARE!

My brain is hung like a HORSE!
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..