or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all.. - Page 12

post #441 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispie View Post

In my experience, anyone hysterical enough to use terms like 'fanboys' can safely be ignored.

Are you ten years old or just plain stupid? Do you post for no other reason than to insult AI members?
The word 'fanboys' has been used by many members. Are they all hysterical? Are you going to ignore them all no matter what their opinion is?
I see nothing positive in your post, but only a negative diatribe. You say, "In your experience." You must not have much. Either grow up or stay out of this forum.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #442 of 488
I would prefer they return to the mac quadrant. Eliminate the imac and mini. Those 2 compete for sales.

post #443 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That would be foolish IMO.

While I don't know for fact, I would bet the 20" iMac is the best selling iMac.

Sure but what I mean is that due to the lower priced desktop chips, the 24" would be at the same price as the 20". They did this with the 17" version at one point, although they used a cheaper panel in the 20" that replaced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69

Well hopefully Apple won't degenerate into the highly questionable benchmarking that was common when the G's where being marketed. OpenCL is great and all but the last thing we need is some sort of garbage bench mark being promoted b Apple the way they did some of the G5 benchmarks. Generally what they did was to concentrate of the good things that maybe didn't have universal usage by Apple hardware buyers.

Yeah, I wouldn't like to see them doing that again but I'd be content to see an improvement in even specific cases. It's another selling point really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider

I would prefer they return to the mac quadrant. Eliminate the imac and mini. Those 2 compete for sales.

My concern there is that the Macbook used to be the ibook:

ibook, powerbook, iMac, PowerMac. The Mini was added on as a new product.
post #444 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Sure but what I mean is that due to the lower priced desktop chips, the 24" would be at the same price as the 20". They did this with the 17" version at one point, although they used a cheaper panel in the 20" that replaced it.
.

I suspect, as another poster here has suggested(mjtiex?) that the imac will get LED backlit displays and that will soak up some of cost savings of a cheaper cpu.
post #445 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post



My concern there is that the Macbook used to be the ibook:

ibook, powerbook, iMac, PowerMac. The Mini was added on as a new product.

True.

I would, along with others probably, rather a mac mini (renamed simply "mac) than an iMac.

The new monitor suggests integration-ability that could make it an imac if you so choose, and add the flexibility of upgrading and/or using a different monitor/multiple monitors etc.

If the mac mini were redesigned to somehow fit into the monitor seamlessly etc., seems like the iMac could be a useless product (and morph into the iLCDTV?)
post #446 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I would prefer they return to the mac quadrant. Eliminate the imac and mini. Those 2 compete for sales.

As mentioned in another thread I think they should split the iMac line in 2:
a high-end mobile worksation (i.e. 19" or 20" laptop) and
a desktop without screen, the fabled xMac, but with a case based on the current Mac Pro.

So the new product matrix should be:
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. MacBook Extreme
  1. Mac
  2. Mac Pro
  3. Mac Extreme


'MacBook Extreme' is a replacement for the current 20" iMac with built-to-order ranges from very basic (and cheap) to fully high-end with quad-core, SLI etc.
'Mac' is the former Mac mini, now the new basic Mac model.
'Mac Pro' is the 'x Mac' a smaller version of the current Mac Pro design.
'Mac Extreme' is the successor to the current Mac Pro.
post #447 of 488
The term "fanboy" is a cheap tactic used to cover a weak and flawed argument.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Are you ten years old or just plain stupid? Do you post for no other reason than to insult AI members?
The word 'fanboys' has been used by many members. Are they all hysterical? Are you going to ignore them all no matter what their opinion is?
I see nothing positive in your post, but only a negative diatribe. You say, "In your experience." You must not have much. Either grow up or stay out of this forum.
post #448 of 488
There are some good thoughts about a re-aligning of Apple's hardware products. I think it is something that will come and already has to a limited extent. Here are my thoughts on what the new alignment would look like:

Macbook - basic consumer laptop
Macbook Pro - advanced laptop for consumers and professionals
Macbook Air- specialty laptop for a limited market

Mac - basic consumer desktop computer (today's iMac)
Mac Pro - advanced desktop computer (xMac) with limited hard drive/video expandability
Mac mini - specialty desktop for a limited market

xStation - Professional workstation/workgroup (Small-biz) server
xServe - Professional server
post #449 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post
Hell NO! SJ and Apple just don't give a rap about the 'faithful'. They'd rather play mind games with us. They expect us to be loyal to Apple, but that's a one way street. Isn't that apparent from all the crap they've foisted on us? When has Apple EVER had it's users in mind? They are up in their ivory tower with NO regard to users who keep them in business. Do I sound bitter? You bet your a__ I am.

Do any of you fanboys think my opinion is wrong? Do you think Apple actually cares about us?

Doesn't the support cut off of G4's tell you what Apple thinks of users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The G4 is 10 years old now, how long do you expect them to continue to support it?

Apple has never been sentimental for legacy technology. At some point you have to let go of old and antiquated technology, to then support optimized and lightweight technology. This is exactly the same as when Apple switched from OS 9 to OS X.

I probably could have been more explicit. I am NOT in favor of long term legacy either. However, if you had read the rest of my post, you would have seen the frustration I feel. I bought my G4, a DESK TOP computer, not 10 years ago, but about 6 years ago. I paid around $1500 for it, and it has served me well. But it's getting long in the tooth, and I would like to replace it - not patch it if (when) it begins to falter. Apple doesn't give me that option. A Mac Pro is complete overkill for me. An iMac all-in-one is not an option as I don't want a Mac equipped with laptop parts and a monitor that I can't replace without replacing the entire machine. The Mini has not been upgraded, and Apple has not seen fit to field a real honest-to-goodness desktop - xMac, Mac, or whatever you want to call it. So, as my G4 ages, I am left with NO choices or options. Apple is neither giving me a desktop to replace it nor will they support the one I have. I've been (ahem) patiently waiting for a replacement, but what happens when the G4 dies and there is NO replacement NOR a fix?
Where is the optimized and lightweight technology that you mentioned? If you're not it in my shoes, you have no right to criticize my situation.

BTW, I wasn't trying to be glib with the word 'fanboy'. I have read it so often in this forum that I thought it was okay to use. My apologies to anyone that word offends.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #450 of 488
Hey, you got some graphix Skillz there mate.
Interesting idea, what exactly is a "Mac"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I would prefer they return to the mac quadrant. Eliminate the imac and mini. Those 2 compete for sales.

post #451 of 488
WHAT WISHFUL THINKING? Most people will agree with you! It's just common bloody sense! The only thing I would say is that Apple can still use the Nvidia integrated GPU/chipset with Quadcore in the iMacs. Save costs by using a common chipset across almost all their Macs. You could, for example, have a 9400M-chipset-iMac with Quadcore and fast 4000-series dedicated Radeon graphics. The Nvidia 9400 chipset is good for the iMac as well because it is DDR3 RAM, potential for Hybrid SLI if the dedicated graphics are a 9600 or 9800 Nvidia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krassy View Post

my thoughts are more like:

mac mini - nvidia (desktop version of the MacBooks)
iMac - something "bigger" with quad (real desktop)

but who knows, maybe that's just wishful thinking
post #452 of 488
No, forget about loyalty, etc. It comes down to simple choice now, and what we find valuable, particularly in this economy. I got about USD $1,000 in savings now. At this stage, the only thing looking to show value, Mac wise, is the White MacBook 9400M graphics. Being thirty and living with my parents (hey, it's Asia, that's my excuse) healthcare and rental is kinda covered. As long as I am paying my own way, that's what matters and that I can hold down a job/ some sort of a working life...

Anyways, back to what I was saying.

We'll see if the iMac and Mac Mini brings something to the table, value-wise. Otherwise $500 can buy a decent PC gaming rig, and the other $500 can go to a current Mac Mini if my current MacBook dies on me. 19" screens are cheap so I can leave one at work, one at home, and just carry the Mac Mini to and fro if needed.

Sequitur, let the past go. Apple is a grown-up company now. We owe nothing to them except what we offer to other Mac users in kindness and camaraderie. Apple owes nothing to us except what they promise in terms of quality and service for *actual* (not what we desire) products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post
Hell NO! SJ and Apple just don't give a rap about the 'faithful'. They'd rather play mind games with us. They expect us to be loyal to Apple, but that's a one way street. Isn't that apparent from all the crap they've foisted on us? When has Apple EVER had it's users in mind? They are up in their ivory tower with NO regard to users who keep them in business. Do I sound bitter? You bet your a__ I am.
Do any of you fanboys think my opinion is wrong? Do you think Apple actually cares about us?
post #453 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Are you ten years old or just plain stupid? Do you post for no other reason than to insult AI members?
The word 'fanboys' has been used by many members. Are they all hysterical? Are you going to ignore them all no matter what their opinion is?
I see nothing positive in your post, but only a negative diatribe. You say, "In your experience." You must not have much. Either grow up or stay out of this forum.

I'm fine with "FANBOYS" if we can call the other side "SLAMBOTS" (not referring to anyone in particular, just suggesting some common terms with which we wage a fair war...
post #454 of 488
The compromise would be a 22" LED backlit iMac then, as the main desktop Mac line.
Lower end with 9400M integrated graphics* and DualCore, Higher end is 9400M with 9600M GT and QuadCore.

Then, there is the 28" iMac for ... well ... 20% desktop computing, 80% iTunes Store watching. Also, 50% of these iMac buyers will be those doing "Pro/Prosumer work". Those absolutely not in favour of glossy will simply get an external 30" or smaller/bigger "Pro calibrated etc" monitor or a Mac Pro with 30" display. Remember the 23" Apple Cinema Display has been discontinued for several months now.

No more 24" then.

By March 2009 the demand for bigger and bigger screens is growing rapidly. There seems to be some sort of price/manufacturing/consumer-demand "sweetspot" at 22 inches, I feel, somehow. For customers looking for value, a big-ass 22" LED backlit 1680x1050 iMac at a roughly-$1000+ USD price point is rather impressive and can combat negativity on lack of being a Core i7, etc. etc.

So 22" and 28" iMacs announced by the middle of March.

Based on the above predictions, and the AppleTV survey, it would suggest by the middle of the year the AppleTV and MacMini will somehow be merged. [Convergence, if you will? Such a dirty word.] ... Which means only iMac update by end of March, no AppleTV or Mac Mini update until middle of the year.

*Edit: If it's a 22" 1680x1050 then Apple will have to play ball and put a 9600M GT in both of the two models (lower end gets 256MB VRAM, higher end gets 512MB VRAM). Or Radeons... The desktop 4870 and 4850 Radeons go toe-to-toe with Nvidias quite well. Some slimmed down versions but still dedicated GPUs at a good price may entice Apple even though the iMac would use the 9400 chipset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Sure but what I mean is that due to the lower priced desktop chips, the 24" would be at the same price as the 20". They did this with the 17" version at one point, although they used a cheaper panel in the 20" that replaced it.



Yeah, I wouldn't like to see them doing that again but I'd be content to see an improvement in even specific cases. It's another selling point really.



My concern there is that the Macbook used to be the ibook:

ibook, powerbook, iMac, PowerMac. The Mini was added on as a new product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I suspect, as another poster here has suggested(mjtiex?) that the imac will get LED backlit displays and that will soak up some of cost savings of a cheaper cpu.
post #455 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Mini was added on as a new product.

Sure, but so was the Cube... in the fridge for quite some time now.
post #456 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB View Post

Sure, but so was the Cube... in the fridge for quite some time now.

I know that's nearly an 8 year old press release but to me, it conveys that Apple will always have a powerful cube computer in the labs. Not the mini; the pr specifically talks about a "new class of computer delivering high performance in an eight-inch cube". The 8 inch part may change but I think the idea of a perfect cube shaped computer appeals to Apple's industrial design sensibilities.
post #457 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I know that's nearly an 8 year old press release but to me, it conveys that Apple will always have a powerful cube computer in the labs. Not the mini; the pr specifically talks about a "new class of computer delivering high performance in an eight-inch cube". The 8 inch part may change but I think the idea of a perfect cube shaped computer appeals to Apple's industrial design sensibilities.

Cube is too "fat" by Apple's standards nowadays. Unless it was a hollowed-out Aluminium Unibody cube or something like that.
post #458 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Cube is too "fat" by Apple's standards nowadays. Unless it was a hollowed-out Aluminium Unibody cube or something like that.

Maybe, but then the Mac Pro is a behemoth. \
post #459 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Maybe, but then the Mac Pro is a behemoth. \

It is. It's a big fat beached whale that Apple forgot about. I'm not a Pro user but Pro users do complain about the Mac Pro. It tends to be not updated as frequently, no ability to use with 24" LED Cinema Display for whatever reason, the casing is beautiful but huge, graphics options are very limited, uses FB-DIMMs which are expensive and where ECC is really not needed.

Slim down the Mac Pro (within reason, don't cripple it), give it some decent UPDATED graphics options, give it Core i7 with DDR3 (is the "server" version of Core i7 *really needed*??) or Nehalem whatever etc. etc. 8 core Xeon is fantastic but time for a nice juicy update, Apple.
post #460 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It is. It's a big fat beached whale that Apple forgot about. I'm not a Pro user but Pro users do complain about the Mac Pro. It tends to be not updated as frequently, no ability to use with 24" LED Cinema Display for whatever reason, the casing is beautiful but huge, graphics options are very limited, uses FB-DIMMs which are expensive and where ECC is really not needed.

Slim down the Mac Pro (within reason, don't cripple it), give it some decent UPDATED graphics options, give it Core i7 with DDR3 (is the "server" version of Core i7 *really needed*??) or Nehalem whatever etc. etc. 8 core Xeon is fantastic but time for a nice juicy update, Apple.

In another post, I mentioned a rumor on my campus that the Mac Pro may merge with the iMac as an upgradeable, accessible hybrid. I suppose that means smaller than the Mac Pro but larger than the iMac. Has anyone here run across this rumor? If it does come to pass, it'll be another unfortunate all-in-one. Mixed emotions?!?!
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #461 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

...upgradeable, accessible...

Those two words are the problem. When it comes to Apple.
post #462 of 488
Well, it looks like it's coming to pass. My faithful G4 is on its last legs. The Finder keeps disappearing and the computer is slower than molasses. There are other problems, but I won't go into that.
What now? There is not one Mac answer to my needs and Apple has stopped fixing G4's. Without an upgraded Mini or a mid Desktop, I am out of luck. My options are: buy a Mac I don't want or need; stop using a computer; or buy a PC (many options there). I'm sure Apple could not care less or it would field computers to cover the bases. One size DOESN'T fit all. Is Apple telling me to leave OS X? Frustration!!!!!!
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #463 of 488
I'm seriously thinking of getting an Asus N10J-A1 in aboot two weeks.

Apple better hurry up with a new Mac mini or I'm out of here.
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale. NOT!
Reply
post #464 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Well, it looks like it's coming to pass. My faithful G4 is on its last legs. The Finder keeps disappearing and the computer is slower than molasses. There are other problems, but I won't go into that.
What now? There is not one Mac answer to my needs and Apple has stopped fixing G4's. Without an upgraded Mini or a mid Desktop, I am out of luck. My options are: buy a Mac I don't want or need; stop using a computer; or buy a PC (many options there). I'm sure Apple could not care less or it would field computers to cover the bases. One size DOESN'T fit all. Is Apple telling me to leave OS X? Frustration!!!!!!

Get a MacBook Aluminium and use a 19" non-Apple or 24" Apple screen with that. Seriously that's your best option. Seriously. And sadly. Though you'd be surprised how fast the MacBook Alu. is, it will run circles around a G4 desktop. As long as you don't need FW400/FW800, the MacBook Alu and a big screen, get a Logitech or Apple wireless keyboard and mouse, you're back in business, so to speak.

Don't buy a PC. You'd only become more frustrated. And yeah, a lot of us feel your pain.
post #465 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Don't buy a PC. You'd only become more frustrated. And yeah, a lot of us feel your pain.

retarded comment.


i understand the guy, im in the same boat as him, only with the iMac instead, i need an all in one that competes at least slightly, with some desktops, with the $1000 premium they should be able to do it... the only thing is the one they have on the market is oooooooold, we need the update and we need it badly, otherwise im going to get another PC to replace this.
post #466 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

One size DOESN'T fit all. Is Apple telling me to leave OS X? Frustration!!!!!!

If you tell me where you live, I will shave my head, don a black turtleneck, show up at your doorstep, and tell you in person that I want you to leave OS X.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
Reply
MacBook Pro C2D 2.4GHz and a battle-scarred PowerBook G4 1.33GHz

"When you gaze long into a dead pixel, the dead pixes gazes also into you"
Reply
post #467 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Get a MacBook Aluminium and use a 19" non-Apple or 24" Apple screen with that. Seriously that's your best option. Seriously. And sadly. Though you'd be surprised how fast the MacBook Alu. is, it will run circles around a G4 desktop. As long as you don't need FW400/FW800, the MacBook Alu and a big screen, get a Logitech or Apple wireless keyboard and mouse, you're back in business, so to speak.

Don't buy a PC. You'd only become more frustrated. And yeah, a lot of us feel your pain.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a newer 20" Viewsonic and an (oldie but goldie) 22" ACD , Logitech mouse, and a good keyboard. I doubt that I could use both monitors with a laptop.

Then too, I bought firewire HDD's back when SuperDuper required them, and I'd prefer not to have to buy more. So, the MacBook is not an option (and I would have to get an adapter when it surfaces next month.) The MBP would suffice, but I hate to pay more for something that is overkill for me. I want to pay around $1000 or even $500 more for a mid-tower if Apple ever decides to quit playing mind games and markets one. The MBP, with DVI adaptor, is too much.

I thought of the white MB, but I'll bet that Apple will consider that to be legacy in a couple of years and stop supporting it like they did with my G4.

No matter which direction I take, SJ is sitting up there in his ivory tower laughing at the predicament that I and a lot of loyal Apple fans are in. The disconnect between SJ and Mac users is absolutely astonishing. Of course, this is nothing new. This type of discussion in AI has been going on for years. SJ doesn't hear or doesn't want to hear what we need. In effect, he's saying, "Take what I give you or go scr__ yourselves." As you can see from previous posts, he's pushing some of us back to PC's. What the hell is wrong with SJ and the Apple hierarchy?

Of course, an upgraded Mini or a mid-tower, xMac, Cube, or whatever you want to call it, would make this problem go away for users who can't make existing Mac's fit in to their computer/financial life style. Maybe SJ won't come back and some rational individual will understand our pain and produce what we need. Naw, that's too much to hope for.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #468 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirc View Post

If you tell me where you live, I will shave my head, don a black turtleneck, show up at your doorstep, and tell you in person that I want you to leave OS X.

I live in Miami, Florida, USA. I would very much appreciate your coming here and telling me that. Then, I wouldn't wait any more for the Mac I need. I'd feel free to go back to PC's. Do you think you could mimic SJ's voice?

спасибо
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #469 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I thought of the white MB, but I'll bet that Apple will consider that to be legacy in a couple of years and stop supporting it like they did with my G4...

Ironically, the white MacBook is your best bet. But you can only use one screen with that, unless you get an external device to use two monitors (it is available). As for support, well, take the AppleCare and you've definitely got 3 years. At least. Beyond that, well... Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

retarded comment.
i understand the guy, im in the same boat as him, only with the iMac instead, i need an all in one that competes at least slightly, with some desktops, with the $1000 premium they should be able to do it... the only thing is the one they have on the market is oooooooold, we need the update and we need it badly, otherwise im going to get another PC to replace this.

You being rude by calling me retarded aside, I do think for us that have been using Macs for years, to go totally "back" to PC definitely has a lot of risks. Choosing an OS, setting up peripherals and drivers, getting the software to do things you'd taken for granted. Hey, I'm not stopping anyone, but, be aware of what it involves.
post #470 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You being rude by calling me retarded aside, I do think for us that have been using Macs for years, to go totally "back" to PC definitely has a lot of risks. Choosing an OS, setting up peripherals and drivers, getting the software to do things you'd taken for granted. Hey, I'm not stopping anyone, but, be aware of what it involves.

no no no... dont get me wrong, you are not retarded. ive read a lot of your posts, i dont agree with quite a few things youve said (based off of entire conversations ive seen you have with other members) but i do not think that YOU are retarded.

i think your comment on the other hand was. If someone is sick of waiting for a product, and needs to upgrade (which is common for things like cars/computers/phones/etc.) then if a company takes too much time bringing out a new product, then sometimes a guy has to go with another company, its as simple as that.

If my car stopped working, or got to the point where it could not drive faster than 40MPH, then i would have to replace it as soon as possible. I like Cadillacs, say i was bent on getting on. ok it MUST have a Manual Gear box, now Cadillac stopped making their Manuals months ago as to no get stuck with a lot of extra Manual cars on their lot... i have to now wait until next years model to get one, well i need a new car sooner than that, i might be able to live without a car for a month, but not 6 months. I instead go to BMW, i love those too. i decide this is what im going to have to get, but their iDrive system is a hassle compared to the cadillac, and the car has paddle shifters instead of a proper manual gear box.

it gives me the control i need of the car, but in a different way. its not exactly what i wanted to get, but it gets the job done, and its close enough to what i wanted. i will have to get used to a few things, but it still does all the things i wanted it to do, just as good as the Cadillac.

See?
post #471 of 488
My apologies for whining, but every day, some function of my G4 stops working or takes forever to do.
Today, Drag & Drop stopped working. It's been suggested that I dump the system (after backing up of course - SuperDuper does still work - but slooooooooooowly.) and reinstall. If I do that and it doesn't work or gets worse, I'm up the creek without a paddle. Then I WILL have to go PC. I'm a coward - I'm afraid to reinstall. If it's hardware that's going down the drain, I doubt that reinstalling will help.

Nvidia, I'm close to taking your advice and going white MB, but that's just a stop gap measure. I'll have to add that cost in when Apple deems fit to market new desktops.

Thanks guys for giving me a shoulder to cry on. It really does help when you know someone hears you (unfortunately, not Apple.) I'd be crying in my beer and sobbing, "Oh woe is me." if it weren't for AI.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #472 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

no no no... dont get me wrong, you are not retarded. ive read a lot of your posts, i dont agree with quite a few things youve said (based off of entire conversations ive seen you have with other members) but i do not think that YOU are retarded.

i think your comment on the other hand was. If someone is sick of waiting for a product, and needs to upgrade (which is common for things like cars/computers/phones/etc.) then if a company takes too much time bringing out a new product, then sometimes a guy has to go with another company, its as simple as that.

If my car stopped working, or got to the point where it could not drive faster than 40MPH, then i would have to replace it as soon as possible. I like Cadillacs, say i was bent on getting on. ok it MUST have a Manual Gear box, now Cadillac stopped making their Manuals months ago as to no get stuck with a lot of extra Manual cars on their lot... i have to now wait until next years model to get one, well i need a new car sooner than that, i might be able to live without a car for a month, but not 6 months. I instead go to BMW, i love those too. i decide this is what im going to have to get, but their iDrive system is a hassle compared to the cadillac, and the car has paddle shifters instead of a proper manual gear box.

it gives me the control i need of the car, but in a different way. its not exactly what i wanted to get, but it gets the job done, and its close enough to what i wanted. i will have to get used to a few things, but it still does all the things i wanted it to do, just as good as the Cadillac.

See?

Yeah, good analogy, wrong conclusion. People who enjoying driving *real* manual cars, would never consider those bs paddle shifters. The whole point of manual is the feel and control of the clutch. I am one of those people. Unless there were NO new car with a fully manual, I would not settle for semi-automatic; in fact if no company was making fully manual cars, I would probably buy used before I went semi-automatic or automatic.

That's not to say I wouldn't complain a lot if my favorite car model suddenly stopped being available with a manual transmission...

Same way a lot of people feel about OS X.
post #473 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

My apologies for whining, but every day, some function of my G4 stops working or takes forever to do.
Today, Drag & Drop stopped working. It's been suggested that I dump the system (after backing up of course - SuperDuper does still work - but slooooooooooowly.) and reinstall. If I do that and it doesn't work or gets worse, I'm up the creek without a paddle. Then I WILL have to go PC. I'm a coward - I'm afraid to reinstall. If it's hardware that's going down the drain, I doubt that reinstalling will help.

Nvidia, I'm close to taking your advice and going white MB, but that's just a stop gap measure. I'll have to add that cost in when Apple deems fit to market new desktops.

Thanks guys for giving me a shoulder to cry on. It really does help when you know someone hears you (unfortunately, not Apple.) I'd be crying in my beer and sobbing, "Oh woe is me." if it weren't for AI.

Dude, drag and drop "stopped working" does not have anything to do with the age of your hardware. Something is wrong with your computer and needs to be troubleshooted.

That said, I understand your pain in needing a new computer, I'm on a 867MHz G4 PowerBook. But a general sluggishness, inability to run many programs at once, difficulty viewing videos smoothly, those are signs that your use is getting beyond your hardware capability, not the fact that you screwed something up with your OS install.

For stuff like email, documents, most web surfing, some simple MATLAB, coding, etc. my machine is still fine for me. The only times I run into trouble is on some flash heavy sites (blitzapp.com helps with that) and the fact that I can't run all the latest goodies in iPhoto and iMovie.
post #474 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Yeah, good analogy, wrong conclusion. People who enjoying driving *real* manual cars, would never consider those bs paddle shifters. The whole point of manual is the feel and control of the clutch. I am one of those people. Unless there were NO new car with a fully manual, I would not settle for semi-automatic; in fact if no company was making fully manual cars, I would probably buy used before I went semi-automatic or automatic.

That's not to say I wouldn't complain a lot if my favorite car model suddenly stopped being available with a manual transmission...

Same way a lot of people feel about OS X.

some do like them, im not one of them. (a BMW paddle shifter in say an M3 is very different than in a Pontiac G6, so dont get them mixed)

now, while i do agree that they arnt as fun, one might say that Windows is not as fun as OSX, or pleasing as the case may be. but it gets everything else done, where an automatic in a car does not get everything done that a manual/paddle shifter does, you just dont get the control...

but thats a bit of a reach i guess. i did take advantage of this not being a car forum, but you still get the idea.
post #475 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

My apologies for whining, but every day, some function of my G4 stops working or takes forever to do.
Today, Drag & Drop stopped working. It's been suggested that I dump the system (after backing up of course - SuperDuper does still work - but slooooooooooowly.) and reinstall. If I do that and it doesn't work or gets worse, I'm up the creek without a paddle. Then I WILL have to go PC. I'm a coward - I'm afraid to reinstall. If it's hardware that's going down the drain, I doubt that reinstalling will help.

Nvidia, I'm close to taking your advice and going white MB, but that's just a stop gap measure. I'll have to add that cost in when Apple deems fit to market new desktops.

Thanks guys for giving me a shoulder to cry on. It really does help when you know someone hears you (unfortunately, not Apple.) I'd be crying in my beer and sobbing, "Oh woe is me." if it weren't for AI.

sequitur, it seems like you have a software problem. What have you done to troubleshoot it from that angle? How did you conclude it's a hardware problem?
post #476 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

sequitur, it seems like you have a software problem. What have you done to troubleshoot it from that angle? How did you conclude it's a hardware problem?

You're probably right, and it is a software problem. I'm just paranoid to reinstall (only to find out it IS a hardware problem.) Ever since Apple announced the removal of G4 support, my paranoia has increased. My fear is that I'll reinstall and everything goes haywire, and I won't have ANY computer.
If I knew I could easily buy the computer I need, I would have no problem. I would feel free to experiment.

New problem today: Other than email and some browser functions, almost everything I click on or place the cursor over, including the desktop, turns into the loathsome beachball. Rebooting is no help. Most likely, it is a software problem.

Other than reinstalling, what can I do to troubleshoot? That's a rhetorical question. Because of the beach ball problem, I can't access Disk Utility to do a Repair Disk.
ADS
Reply
ADS
Reply
post #477 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

You're probably right, and it is a software problem. I'm just paranoid to reinstall (only to find out it IS a hardware problem.) Ever since Apple announced the removal of G4 support, my paranoia has increased. My fear is that I'll reinstall and everything goes haywire, and I won't have ANY computer.
If I knew I could easily buy the computer I need, I would have no problem. I would feel free to experiment.

New problem today: Other than email and some browser functions, almost everything I click on or place the cursor over, including the desktop, turns into the loathsome beachball. Rebooting is no help. Most likely, it is a software problem.

Other than reinstalling, what can I do to troubleshoot?

You can try checking the file system. Restart and hold down the command and S key until you see a black screen loading up the OS in single user mode. At the prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy and hit enter. it might take a while. then after it fixes stuff type shutdown -r now to restart.

Then download Leopard Cache Cleaner and run all the options in the Maintain tab. Then do a medium cleaning of the caches for your user and the system (1st 2 check boxes) in the Caches tab. Restart. Hope that helps.
post #478 of 488
Also, check the amount of RAM installed under About This Mac... it is possible that you've had a RAM stick go bad. If so, it may not show up there, but too little RAM can cause the symptoms you're describing.

If there's less reported than you expect, try reseating the RAM first, check again, and if still lower, start removing sticks one by one to find the offending bugger, then replace it. RAM is dirt cheap.
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
My brain is hung like a HORSE!
Reply
post #479 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

You're probably right, and it is a software problem. I'm just paranoid to reinstall (only to find out it IS a hardware problem.) Ever since Apple announced the removal of G4 support, my paranoia has increased. My fear is that I'll reinstall and everything goes haywire, and I won't have ANY computer.
If I knew I could easily buy the computer I need, I would have no problem. I would feel free to experiment.

New problem today: Other than email and some browser functions, almost everything I click on or place the cursor over, including the desktop, turns into the loathsome beachball. Rebooting is no help. Most likely, it is a software problem.

Other than reinstalling, what can I do to troubleshoot? That's a rhetorical question. Because of the beach ball problem, I can't access Disk Utility to do a Repair Disk.

In addition to the file system check mention in another post, I've found Disk Warrior to be a "wonder drug" for several problems that I've had over the past 15 years. It checks for corruption to the directory and, if needed, repairs and replaces. It's not cheap at $100 but many people have said that it's been the best hundred bucks they've spent on software.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html
post #480 of 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Also, check the amount of RAM installed under About This Mac... it is possible that you've had a RAM stick go bad. If so, it may not show up there, but too little RAM can cause the symptoms you're describing.

If there's less reported than you expect, try reseating the RAM first, check again, and if still lower, start removing sticks one by one to find the offending bugger, then replace it. RAM is dirt cheap.

Good idea. I've had this happen many times, especially with laptops being bumped and DIMMs coming a little loose or bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1

In addition to the file system check mention in another post, I've found Disk Warrior to be a "wonder drug" for several problems that I've had over the past 15 years. It checks for corruption to the directory and, if needed, repairs and replaces. It's not cheap at $100 but many people have said that it's been the best hundred bucks they've spent on software.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html

Disk Warrior is a great tool too. It does cost a bit but is a valuable tool to have anyway. I have version 4 at work and it's very good at recovering drives that won't boot or mount anymore.

One more thing to add: boot from the Apple Hardware test disk that came with your G4 if you haven't already. It can sometimes pinpoint what DIMM is bad or if your logic board is failing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..