or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Solid State Hard Drives

Solid State Hard Drives

post #1 of 7
Hello, new to this forum and found it while randomly searching for places that sell Apple products besides the Apple store. Been using PCs for years though started out on the old Macintosh eons ago.

Anyway, I've been configuring things on the Apple store and the solid state hard drive caught my attention.

I called Apple to get some extra information from their tech support and a guy told me that there are no moving parts, they are more durable, and recovering the data is easier than with a standard hard drive so that explains the extra cost. It's definitely good if you're traveling he told me.

Right now, for my first MBP (the 17-inch, since I want to have this for a while), I am looking at the 2.93 GHz processor (maybe), anti-glare screen (definitely), and Applecare of course.

Should I pay the extra cost for the SSD? This laptop will be for home use.
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post

I called Apple to get some extra information from their tech support and a guy told me that there are no moving parts, they are more durable, and recovering the data is easier than with a standard hard drive so that explains the extra cost.

The extra cost isn't to do with the improvements. That type of media is low volume just now and an emerging technology. The prices this year will be dropping like a brick the more that vendors compete for sales.

Quote:

Right now, for my first MBP (the 17-inch, since I want to have this for a while), I am looking at the 2.93 GHz processor (maybe), anti-glare screen (definitely), and Applecare of course.

Should I pay the extra cost for the SSD? This laptop will be for home use.

I don't know how easy it is to replace the drive in the 17" one. If it's as easy as the lower ones, I'd say wait until the prices come down and pick the best performing ones.

Intel's SSDs outperform Apple's BTO SSDs by quite a margin:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-12-19/#9323

They are more expensive though but like I say, prices will drop and you'll get more for your money with Intel's drives. If you have the money to spend now and don't foresee upgrading the drive, Apple's/Samsung's SSD is an improvement over the mechanical drive.

I personally value the reliability of SSD very highly so I'd probably be inclined to go for the SSD. I've always hated the uncertainty with mechanical drives and that feeling you get in your stomach when your drive makes a funny noise and you realize you haven't backed up for a while. The reliability of SSD isn't yet 100% though. Some people have reported faulty drives - as with motherboard failures, there will be broken drives, just fewer of them.
post #3 of 7
I have a MBPro and I passed on the SSD. I needed the additional space and I don't travel much.

Reliability was not an issue for me either since I also invested in a Time Capsule. Hard drives now days last a lot longer than in the old days, IMO. They also include technology such as "Sudden Movement Detection" or whatever they call it
post #4 of 7
Thank you to both Marvin and bbwi. The speed difference is astounding.

I'm really new to installing things myself on a laptop. Only experience I really have is installing a capture card on an old (now recycled) Gateway tower.

If I wanted to have an Intel SSD installed, how would I go about doing it? Is there a place that does the labor for a decent cost or would it be fairly easy to do it myself?

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 7
Quote:

If I wanted to have an Intel SSD installed, how would I go about doing it? Is there a place that does the labor for a decent cost or would it be fairly easy to do it myself?

The 17" laptop isn't as easy as the others. There are screws on the bottom in the picture:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5124539/17-macb...first-hands-on

You'd likely have to just remove that. ifixit have some useful guides:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/First-Lo...ok-Pro-Unibody

For home use, I think it may be overkill going for the 17" model. The 15" is much cheaper and you can fit the SSD much more easily. Plus you can buy a large external display like a 24".

The lowest Macbook Pro is £1369, add on a £200 24" display and £400 SSD and you've got £1969.
The 17" Macbook Pro is £1949 without the SSD.
post #6 of 7
Not to ask another (dumb) question, though when you say Apple/Samsung, do you mean that they are both around the same speed or that Samsung makes the drives for Apple. Reason I ask is because I can't say I'm too big a Samsung fan.
post #7 of 7
Quote:

Not to ask another (dumb) question, though when you say Apple/Samsung, do you mean that they are both around the same speed or that Samsung makes the drives for Apple. Reason I ask is because I can't say I'm too big a Samsung fan.

Apple use Samsung drives.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › General › Genius Bar › Apple Hardware › Solid State Hard Drives