or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › I need a good drama TV series recommendation.

I need a good drama TV series recommendation.

post #1 of 55
I've been watching Friends for the past few years, and frankly i'm getting a little sick of it. I'd like something more real, more heavy, something that can actually grip me and keep me hooked and wanting to see the next episode.

I like movies like Amadeus, Downfall, Babel, Schindler's List, Life is Beautiful, Gandhi, The Lives of Others, The Pianist, Ray, The Lord of the Rings, Terms of Endearment, Gran Torino, Frost/Nixon, etc.

I'd like a TV series that is in the same vein as my taste in movies. Good acting, good music, good story, good cinematography. Those are some of the most important elements. I also like drama, intensity and tragedy. And I have a hard time following some movies and TV shows, so the plot shouldn't be too weighed down by tiny details that must be paid attention to in order to understand what's going on.

Also, it would be nice if the series were available on iTunes, but I realize that that might be a bit of a stretch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
post #2 of 55
My wife is currently watching Brothers & Sisters; I watch the occasional episode with her. It deals with many current themes in American life and has both humor and heaviness. We're in Japan and it is on satellite TV here, so I don't know if you have it where you are (it's a couple of years old now). There's also Everwood (?) which isn't bad.

It really sounds like you would like the History Channel and maybe National Geographic. They have lots of programs that are pretty interesting and are not dramas that need to be watched in a particular order that if you skip a week you get lost.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I've been watching Friends for the past few years, and frankly i'm getting a little sick of it. I'd like something more real, more heavy, something that can actually grip me and keep me hooked and wanting to see the next episode.

I like movies like Amadeus, Downfall, Babel, Schindler's List, Life is Beautiful, Gandhi, The Lives of Others, The Pianist, Ray, The Lord of the Rings, Terms of Endearment, Gran Torino, Frost/Nixon, etc.

I'd like a TV series that is in the same vein as my taste in movies. Good acting, good music, good story, good cinematography. Those are some of the most important elements. I also like drama, intensity and tragedy. And I have a hard time following some movies and TV shows, so the plot shouldn't be too weighed down by tiny details that must be paid attention to in order to understand what's going on.

Also, it would be nice if the series were available on iTunes, but I realize that that might be a bit of a stretch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Consider the new Battlestar Galactica Series by Ronald Moore on the SciFi channel. Its a little slow to get started with, but the characters are compelling and well acted. The show was always envisioned as a 4 season arc, so the story keeps moving towards a conclusion that is still not obvious (now with only half of the fourth season to go). The feeling of the show is dark and brooding. And its available from iTunes in HD!
post #4 of 55
I am all fraking set up, mateys. Here's what's going down.

LOST. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. 24 Season 7.

Word*. Awww yeah.
*This one is not a show, just saying, word.
post #5 of 55
See above. All available on iTunes in HD. Each episode is engaging by itself, though knowing the overall plotline is more enriching. Lost and Battlestar have "quick recap" videos on iTunes so it will give you the run down on what has happened. Lost available on iTunes in HD. Battlestar Galactica available on iTunes in HD. 24 available in iTunes in HD.

Quote:

I'd like a TV series that is in the same vein as my taste in movies. Good acting, good music, good story, good cinematography. Those are some of the most important elements. I also like drama, intensity and tragedy. And I have a hard time following some movies and TV shows, so the plot shouldn't be too weighed down by tiny details that must be paid attention to in order to understand what's going on. Also, it would be nice if the series were available on iTunes, but I realize that that might be a bit of a stretch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
post #6 of 55
Quote:

Ha! Especially Lost. You're like... almost always, at the end... OMFG! Yet a strange sense of closure in the mini-story they tell from start to end within one episode itself*.

*You'll have to see several episodes to get what I'm saying here.
post #7 of 55
Fringe, House, and Knight Rider
post #8 of 55
Thanks.

I looked up all these recommendations, and Brothers and Sisters is the one that appealed to me the most. I'm really looking for a real, human drama. Not sci-fi or thriller or anything. Just something human and real, like the movies I mentioned.

Are there any other good TV shows in the Brothers and Sisters vein?
post #9 of 55
i would not recommend Lost at this point. Not unless you have a ton of time to catch up. it's highly complex.it's good but this late in the game you might be better off waiting until it ends next year and then jumping on board

I would go with My Name is Earl if you are into quirky,semi light dramedy. And for something more 'real' and a tad heavy, Six Feet Under which I think has at least the first 2 seasons on itunes with more coming. And if you don't mind mindly gross but captiving, Dexter which stars Michael C Hall, also from SFU. it's gross cause it has to do with serial killings so there's blood but usually after the fact. Dexter is a little serial but pretty much only within each season and they are only 13 eps. you still wanna watch the seasons on order but it's not like you have to remember things from episode 101 for 213 to make perfect sense (which you do with Lost)
post #10 of 55
Thanks. Keep in mind, whatever series I choose, i'll be starting from the beginning of Season 1.

Any more recommendations? At this point it's between Brothers and Sisters and Six Feet Under... unless some new better looking show comes to my attention.
post #11 of 55
Alright, I got the first episode of Brothers and Sisters from iTunes, and just watched it. That's the series i'll be watching. Thanks everybody!
post #12 of 55
Incorrect. Put that away and get The Wire, which is simply without peer. All five seasons have aired, so you can watch from start to finish.

I'm not lying. You'll thank me.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #13 of 55
Ugly Betty. It's more than just a sit' com'.
post #14 of 55
Good choice with Six Feet Under. After you finish Brothers and Sisters, give it a try... It's a bit crazy, but that's always fun. For more insanity, watch Nip|Tuck. It's like... WTF!!!! over and over again.

But... seriously... for me, I'd watch anything by Joss Whedon. Buffy. Angel. Firefly (less than one full season so that's a quickie).

I'll have to give Brothers and Sisters a try myself.
post #15 of 55
My wife is really into Eli Stone. I think it's kinda stupid. Brothers and Sisters is about as bad as it get IMO. Horrible show.
post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Good choice with Six Feet Under. After you finish Brothers and Sisters, give it a try... It's a bit crazy, but that's always fun. For more insanity, watch Nip|Tuck. It's like... WTF!!!! over and over again.

But... seriously... for me, I'd watch anything by Joss Whedon. Buffy. Angel. Firefly (less than one full season so that's a quickie).

I'll have to give Brothers and Sisters a try myself.

Tonton, you know Whedon's "Dollhouse" premiers on Fox pretty soon, right? Let's hope Fox doesn't kill it before it can get going.
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Tonton, you know Whedon's "Dollhouse" premiers on Fox pretty soon, right? Let's hope Fox doesn't kill it before it can get going.

I guess it's supposed to start on 13th February. I had read about it before but other things have distracted me from paying too much attention.

What ever happened to "Ripper"? I don't mean "Reaper", the TV series with the kids from the hardware store capturing escaped souls (though that's a fun series) but the project with BBC covering Buffy's Giles during his earlier youth. Guess it was another Whedon project that didn't quite get off the ground, though it sounded hugely interesting.
post #18 of 55
Quote:

Alright, I got the first episode of Brothers and Sisters from iTunes, and just watched it. That's the series i'll be watching. Thanks everybody!

Enjoy!

Really wish we had movies on iTMS here in Japan...

post #19 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I guess it's supposed to start on 13th February. I had read about it before but other things have distracted me from paying too much attention.

What ever happened to "Ripper"? I don't mean "Reaper", the TV series with the kids from the hardware store capturing escaped souls (though that's a fun series) but the project with BBC covering Buffy's Giles during his earlier youth. Guess it was another Whedon project that didn't quite get off the ground, though it sounded hugely interesting.

Yeah, I remember talk of that. I had thought it was pretty far along, but I guess not.

I have never understood why such an obvious talent who works in such populist genres seems to have such a hard time getting work, when such obvious shit gets produced all the time.

And I don't mean "obvious shit that you can see where the network execs thought it might have a certain base appeal", but "obvious shit that anyone not recently hit in the hit in the head with a shovel would have laughed out of the room the day it got pitched."
post #20 of 55
Damages.

For stuff that's been on for a while:

Lost
BSG
Life (give it a few episodes)

For stuff that's on cable:

Dexter
Weeds
True Blood
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
Gangs are not seen as legitimate, because they don't have control over public schools.
post #21 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Incorrect. Put that away and get The Wire, which is simply without peer. All five seasons have aired, so you can watch from start to finish.

I'm not lying. You'll thank me.

Absolutely. The Wire is one of the greatest things that has ever been on television.
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Enjoy!

Can you access Hulu.com or use Joost?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Absolutely. The Wire is one of the greatest things that has ever been on television.

And, hey yeah, Life! I never see it given props, but it's really pretty great. Took me a while to get over how odd and distant Damian Lewis had become after his time in WWII, though.
post #24 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Can you access Hulu.com or use Joost?

Don't work. Bummer.

post #25 of 55
Those who live outside of the US of A can use a little programme called HotSpot Shield to trick american sites into thinking you're inside the States (a proxy server), which works perfectly for watching Hulu and other Network sites like ABC, SciFi and so on.

It sits in the menu bar (to the left of the Spotlight icon) and enables to connect and disconnect to and from an american server.

PS: Another vote for Six Feet Under, Dexter, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, My Name is Earl, Scrubs, Californication, Weeds and 30Rock.
post #26 of 55
Is there a reverse equivalent? There are a few things I'd like to watch on the BBC iPlayer but can't because I'm in the US (but my heart is in the UK!!).
post #27 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Enjoy!

Just get a US iTMS gift card thingy online.
post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Those who live outside of the US of A can use a little programme called HotSpot Shield to trick american sites into thinking you're inside the States (a proxy server), which works perfectly for watching Hulu and other Network sites like ABC, SciFi and so on.

It sits in the menu bar (to the left of the Spotlight icon) and enables to connect and disconnect to and from an american server.

PS: Another vote for Six Feet Under, Dexter, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, My Name is Earl, Scrubs, Californication, Weeds and 30Rock.

Jezzus my torrents just went a lot faster. Wow. HotSpot Shield... I'm not sure quite how it works, and I'm being naughty downloading stuff, hope I don't get busted somewhere down the line. Ah well, I'm far away from the US so hopefully...
post #29 of 55
HOLEY MOLEY my site access speeds and stuff. I wonder if it is just temporary or what. I wonder how long this Hotspot Shield thing will work.
I am at a public WiFi spot, I'll try when I go home in a short while.
Is this safe?
Also I'm getting some much more annoying ads now, it takes up the top 1/10th of the browser window constantly when I'm viewing AppleInsider.
Edit... Using Safari AdBlock. Useful.
post #30 of 55
Web access is much faster through Hotspot Shield thingy. They are blocking torrent traffic though, it seems. Maybe... Will continue to report back here.
post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

For stuff that's on cable:

Dexter
Weeds
True Blood

Yup, all great. Rescue Me is also very good

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

3.4 GHz i7 iMac | 64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad 3 | 16GB iPad mini

post #32 of 55
<offtopic>.Mac mail access through Apple Mail is not working when Hotspot Shield is on though... Other than that, web and Vuze videos, sometimes torrents, access is much faster for me.</offtopic>
post #33 of 55
Battlestar Galactica is without question the best drama on teevee today. Yeah, it's set in space, but that's not really the issue of the whole thing. It's just fantastic.

Dexter is awesome, and M.C. Hall is completely different than his Six Feet Under character. I was nervous at first, because SFU was so incredible and the character he played was so driven by the other characters in the show (and then not) that I though I would perform some viewer osmosis upon him...but it didn't click and I'm grateful for that.

tonton mentions Firefly, and you'd be well served to watch it. If you don't respond favorably to that, well, I don't know what to tell you. You're not cool and you never will be. Heh, OK, that might be a bit rough. But yeah, true. Fuck you for not even knowing about it. You're the reason Fox is still on the air and canceling these awesome shows you asshole. If Dollhouse gets canned I'm coming up to Orca and punching you in the nose.

Oh, I've heard nothing but great things about The Wire, but I can honestly say I've never seen an episode. My bad. I heard it got cancelled or it was on it's last season. I'll probably get it on DVD. If somebody feels it got cancelled prematurely I welcome them to come up here and punch me in the nose. I won't flinch. We could even get a drink later if you like Drambuie.

The Shield is awesome too if you like gritty drama type stuff. Which I do. I wish Whedon was more respected. I think Buffy is absolute genius, if a little dated upon a 2009 rewatching. I also wish Adam Sorkin would do something good again. The first few seasons of The West Wing are absolute fucking bliss.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
It's just an object. It doesn't mean what you think.
post #34 of 55
MacGyver

I have been writing a very long market analysis and technical proposal for the past week. I got a pc to sit next door to my mac. It is indeed playing MacGyver, via Netflix watch-instantly. It is somehow perfect for this because it doesn't require much attention, yet it keeps me from getting too stir-crazy.

He doesn't like guns.
Cat: the other white meat
Cat: the other white meat
post #35 of 55
Life on Mars is shaping up to be a good show.
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Life on Mars is shaping up to be a good show.

I've seen two episodes and they were great. This is definitely a series I'm interested in investing in.
post #37 of 55
I'm 3/4ths of the way through the first season of Brothers and Sisters. It was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

I'll come back to this thread when i'm done with Brothers and Sisters!
post #38 of 55
Glad to hear it!

post #39 of 55
Quote:

I'd like something more real, more heavy, something...

What you seek is The Wire. This show is so real and thought provoking that it'll cause you to reevaluate the way you look at people in various societal rolls. I still don't know who was "right" or who was "good"... or hell, even who you're supposed to sympathize with. Similarly, The Shield for almost the same reasons.

You come to love characters who do despicable things, downright evil, life in prison things. You'll find yourself sympathizing and identifying with murdering assholes. Then you sit back and say, whoah, what am I thinking? The acting in some of the scenes is so heart wrenching, so intense, so real... that you feel the motivations of the flawed characters. You start to understand how people end up doing evil things, you even start to think, hey, i might have done the same. But then you catch yourself. It'll tear you up inside.

These shows are action packed, profound, morally confusing, and emotional. They'll have you rethinking everything you thought you knew about the human experience. They really are that good.

Enjoy!
post #40 of 55
When Bodie finally met his end, I literally yelled out "NO!!!"
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AppleOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › I need a good drama TV series recommendation.