or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues

Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues

post #1 of 242
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs sent an email to Apple employees on Wednesday revealing that his health-related issues are more complex than he originally thought and that he'll be ceding day-to-day operations to COO Tim Cook until the end of June.

The news arrives just over a week after the executive hoped to calm fears ahead of Macworld by revealing a hormone imbalance as a principle factor in his weight loss throughout 2008.

The surprise revelation is meant to dampen concerns but indirectly corroborates technology blog rumors that Jobs' health was the true reason for the exit, with no guarantees in place that he would present in the future.

Jobs and his company have engineered a near-complete turnaround in their respective approaches to the CEO's health versus most of 2008. Since appearing frail at the WWDC keynote in June, the co-founder and those speaking on his behalf have repeatedly insisted that his condition is a "private matter" and, until December, were only willing to divulge information through an off-the-record phone call to a New York Times journalist.

While sudden and public, however, a health-related break from Apple business isn't uncharacteristic for Jobs. After revealing that he had undergone successful surgery for his pancreatic cancer in 2004, the company head took a month off to recover with Cook again taking the reins.

The full text of Jobs' Wednesday email follows:

Team,

I am sure all of you saw my letter last week sharing something very personal with the Apple community. Unfortunately, the curiosity over my personal health continues to be a distraction not only for me and my family, but everyone else at Apple as well. In addition, during the past week I have learned that my health-related issues are more complex than I originally thought.

In order to take myself out of the limelight and focus on my health, and to allow everyone at Apple to focus on delivering extraordinary products, I have decided to take a medical leave of absence until the end of June.

I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple's day to day operations, and I know he and the rest of the executive management team will do a great job. As CEO, I plan to remain involved in major strategic decisions while I am out. Our board of directors fully supports this plan.

I look forward to seeing all of you this summer.

Steve

Readers are invited to discuss this matter in our forums.
post #2 of 242
Just caught that on MarketWatch:

4:39pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Jobs: Health issues 'more complex' than thought - MarketWatch
4:39pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Jobs: Public curiosity over health a 'distraction' - MarketWatch
4:37pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Jobs to remain involved in major strategic decisions - MarketWatch
4:36pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Steve Jobs taking medical leave until end of June - MarketWatch
4:37pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Tim Cook to handle day-to-day operations - MarketWatch
4:33pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple late-traded shares halted for news pending - MarketWatch
4:32pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple late-traded shares halted - MarketWatch

Hope Steve gets well soon!

--DotComCTO
post #3 of 242
Get well soon Steve!
post #4 of 242
Shit there goes my stock
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
He's a mod so he has a few extra vBulletin privileges. That doesn't mean he should stop posting or should start acting like Digital Jesus.
- SolipsismX
post #5 of 242
Wow. I hope Steve gets better soon. Best of luck to you!!!
post #6 of 242
Steve, I wish all the best for you.
Get well soon.
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
MacPro 12 core
30" & 23" Apple Cinema HD Displays
PowerBook G4 550, MacBook Pro 2.2
Ipod 1G and 5G, Shuffle 2G, iPhone 3G
post #7 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Shit there goes my stock

Glad to see you are thinking about Steve's health!
post #8 of 242
All the best Steve.
post #9 of 242
All the best to Steve, get well soon!
post #10 of 242
I'm glad he's doing this. He really needs the time off to recouperate. All the best, Mr. Jobs!
post #11 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

Just caught that on MarketWatch:

4:39pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Jobs: Health issues 'more complex' than thought - MarketWatch
4:39pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Jobs: Public curiosity over health a 'distraction' - MarketWatch
4:37pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Jobs to remain involved in major strategic decisions - MarketWatch
4:36pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Steve Jobs taking medical leave until end of June - MarketWatch
4:37pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple's Tim Cook to handle day-to-day operations - MarketWatch
4:33pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple late-traded shares halted for news pending - MarketWatch
4:32pm 01/14/09 \t\t\tApple late-traded shares halted - MarketWatch

Hope Steve gets well soon!

--DotComCTO

Here's a marketwatch: Apple's stock will bleed tomorrow.

but hopefully not... we'll see. \
post #12 of 242
Best of luck of Steve. But this will start a whole new round of speculation, especially since this came upon learning of "new information" about his condition. Interesting that he's not walking away entirely...he'll still approve or veto major strategic decisions.

Wow, Apple down $10 after trading resumes.
post #13 of 242
Ah that sucks for him. Hope he's alright.

Jimzip
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
"There's no time like the present, and the only present you'll never get, is time." - Me
post #14 of 242
The only reason I'm making a selfish comment about a serious health issue is because I wouldn't even know about Apple if it weren't for Steve Jobs. I wouldn't have an imac or an iphone 3G.

Steve Jobs is Apple. Apple will wither on the vine over several months until they're bought out. It's over!
post #15 of 242
I am not an apple fanboy. I do love some apple products and do feel they can be improved further in many cases, like all "software" based products are.

Steve has led an incredible comeback in the last 10 years and a couple of years ago, I did not see myself using anything other than iPod. Under his leadership, Apple came out with iPhone, ever improving OSX and a nicely integrated eco system thanks to iTunes.

But I think it was not just Steve. He must have had help from a number of great engineers and strategists at Apple. While wishing Steve well and hoping that he comes back stronger, I wish well for Apple, to develop more leadership and PR faces to keep the great work going.
post #16 of 242
To anyone medically trained, the excuses over the last several months for his declining health were bogus, and may elicit the biggest lawsuits against Apple it has ever seen. Nevertheless, Steve is a good man, and hopefully he recovers.
post #17 of 242
Steve is dead meat. This is the beginning of the end. "More complex than I though" with a six month break essentially means there's a high probability he's dying. Not so good for stock holders but possibly good for customers. We might get more variety in Apple products without Steve's hard line on various issues.

Oh well, cancer sucks.
post #18 of 242
Just quit the company already and let more experienced/better executives take over, like Tim Cook and Phil Schiller. We'll be better off without you.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #19 of 242
We pray for your speedy recovery, Steve.

You are a giant among men.
post #20 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Just quit the company already and let more experienced/better executives take over, like Tim Cook and Phil Schiller. We'll be better off without you.

What kind of comment is that? Steve essentially saved Apple after he came back in 1997. Prior to that, the management almost killed Apple. Steve is a visionary and his influence has clearly been stamped within the Apple culture. This can't be changed overnight by bringing on someone else including Cook or Schiller in the CEO role.
post #21 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Steve Balmer? How'd you get on here??

post #22 of 242
To Hell with the products or the stock! Get well soon Steve. Here is to seeing you this summer fat and healthy!
post #23 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by makesense View Post

To anyone medically trained, the excuses over the last several months for his declining health were bogus, and may elicit the biggest lawsuits against Apple it has ever seen. Nevertheless, Steve is a good man, and hopefully he recovers.

Lawsuits that will get thrown out of court. An individual's medical records and status aren't usurped by the needs of stockholders. I think it's absurd for someone to even think they have a right to know about the health of another. Anyone that has operated under the auspices of HIPPA compliance knows that better.
- SolipsismX
- SolipsismX
post #24 of 242
I wish all the best to SJ and his family. Under his watch Apple has changed the way we listen to music, the way we use cell phones, and made the best darn laptops in the business. Thanks for the fantastic products through the years. Hope you beat this illness and provide us with even more toys in the future. James
post #25 of 242
cosign hmurchison.
post #26 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

The only reason I'm making a selfish comment about a serious health issue is because I wouldn't even know about Apple if it weren't for Steve Jobs. I wouldn't have an imac or an iphone 3G.

Steve Jobs is Apple. Apple will wither on the vine over several months until they're bought out. It's over!

GIve me a break dude. Steve is a vital part of Apple, but he isn't the only one making the products over there. Apple will get by without his direct involvement. Don't cast a gloom over this, you're the kind of idiot that gets people freaked out.

Get well soon Steve. See you this summer.
post #27 of 242
Seems absolute denial by the KoolAid gang didn't work.

Onto Plan B.
post #28 of 242
I just went numb when I got the CNN breaking news e-mail and read it.

Get well Steve!
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #29 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Steve is dead meat. This is the beginning of the end. "More complex than I though" with a six month break essentially means there's a high probability he's dying. Not so good for stock holders but possibly good for customers. We might get more variety in Apple products without Steve's hard line on various issues.

Oh well, cancer sucks.

The name "merdhead" suits you well. A bigger pile of doo-doo I have never heard.
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #30 of 242
We all recognize Steve's impact on Apple; past, present and future. He has certainly positioned the company well for continued growth and success. This company is STRONG and any drop in stock price will be welcome to savvy investors, myself included.

That being said, take care of yourself, Steve. You and your family deserve a good rest.
post #31 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Oh well, cancer sucks.

What a f**king insensitive bastard you are. If you don't like Apple products then don't buy them.
post #32 of 242
Who cares about APPL? Just get well soon, Mr. Jobs.
post #33 of 242
Oh shit \
post #34 of 242
It must be pretty bad, especially when you consider that his recent letter said he'd be well by spring, now he's taking a leave of absence until the middle of summer.

Sad day for us Apple fans, all we can hope is that Steve is stronger than cancer.

btw, Steve's cancer has a 5 year survival rate, he's in year 4 and something right now
post #35 of 242
All the best Steve for a speedy recovery.

Just something I think some might like to see and hear. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
If you want to call me names, tell me to shut up and f off...you will be ignored. I WILL NOT BE BULLIED!!
post #36 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Shit there goes my stock

Not really - short it!

Borrow 10,000 shares, sell it, then when it drop the predicted 10-15 dollars, you buy it back at the reduced rate then give the shares back and pocket the difference.

Anyway, not really a good time to talk about this.

GET WELL STEVE!!!
post #37 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser777 View Post

What a f**king insensitive bastard you are. If you don't like Apple products then don't buy them.

More like brainless.
post #38 of 242
It does make me wonder. If Steve is admitting it now that the reins have change to Tim, was Steve even involved with the iTunes negotiations? I am beginning to think not since it went against his well known adamant stance.
post #39 of 242
Frankly, I'm not surprised by the announcement. Hopefully he gets better before the WWDC. It would be nice to see him in six months with a weight gain and muscle bound like the hulk or something.
post #40 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Seems absolute denial by the KoolAid gang didn't work.

Onto Plan B.

LOL.

Some people in this thread are emotionally shattered by the news that Jobs will be dead pretty soon, pushing up daisies.

They lost their Messiah.

Ste...

Ste...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues