or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues

Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues - Page 2

post #41 of 242
oh siht
post #42 of 242
Steve, I wish you a speedy recovery, dignity, and above all else, privacy.
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
OK, can I have my matte Apple display, now?
post #43 of 242
I hope the very best to Steve and his family.

It'd be swell if they schedule the upcoming iPhone keynote with Phil Schiller and halfway through, a newly buffed up Steve Jobs re-enters the stage a la iMac g3 with the new iTablet.
post #44 of 242
Ahhhh...capitalism at its worst with some of the most vicious comments about Jobs to date. Without Jobs there would have been no Apple; I wish Apple was not publicly traded as we would get rid of some of the scum here whose only interest are their bloody stock prices!
post #45 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

It must be pretty bad, especially when you consider that his recent letter said he'd be well by spring, now he's taking a leave of absence until the middle of summer.

Sad day for us Apple fans, all we can hope is that Steve is stronger than cancer.

btw, Steve's cancer has a 5 year survival rate, he's in year 4 and something right now

All cancer has a five year survival rate. All cancer has a 1 year survival rate, and a 50 year survival rate. For some it's 90%. For others it's 0%. What's the five year survival rate, that's the question.
post #46 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Shit there goes my stock

Apple's stock has been sliding down along with the indices all day:

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=...EXNASDAQ:.IXIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

The only reason I'm making a selfish comment about a serious health issue is because I wouldn't even know about Apple if it weren't for Steve Jobs. I wouldn't have an imac or an iphone 3G.

Steve Jobs is Apple. Apple will wither on the vine over several months until they're bought out. It's over!

Without Jobs, I don't know if Apple would even have ever made an iMac, at least not what we've seen. A lot of OS X is based on what Apple bought from NeXT, one of the companies that Jobs was working on.
post #47 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser777 View Post

What a f**king insensitive bastard you are.

Uhhhh, overreact much? Chill out.
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
Fragmentation is not just something we have to acknowledge and accept. Fragmentation is something that we deal with every day, and we must accept it as a fact of the iPhone platform experience.

Ste...
post #48 of 242
This is a dark day. At least he can afford the best doctors and advice.
post #49 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapple View Post

We pray for your speedy recovery, Steve.

You are a giant among men.

And I second that. Get well and come back soon. We will pray for your good health.

Arvi
post #50 of 242
You've got all my best wishes, Steve. Get well soon. That's more important than anything else in the world.
post #51 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

LOL.

Some people in this thread are emotionally shattered by the news that Jobs will be dead pretty soon, pushing up daisies.

They lost their Messiah.

wow!!! do you serve fries with that insensitive bs.

You don't have to drink the kool aid to have a heart.

post #52 of 242
Isn't Steve a Buddist? I wonder if he thinks he'll come to life back as the New Microsoft CEO. Some of you guys may be A switcher soon!
post #53 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser777 View Post

What a f**king insensitive bastard you are. If you don't like Apple products then don't buy them.

Well said. Seems like a good time to go through and revoke memberships to this blog to me. Never been easier to spot the Trolls.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #54 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Not so good for stock holders but possibly good for customers. We might get more variety in Apple products without Steve's hard line on various issues.

Like GM! They have a make or model to please everyone! From Saturn to Cadillac to Corvette, every model has great cupholders and looks and performance that's hard to beat, and at a price to smile about!

Instead of a paltry few models updated infrequently, I for one can't wait for the PowerMac 3200, the MacBook Pro XR280, and dozens of other models, and with as many options as a Dell and with monthly updates in order to keep the smiles coming!

The first thing I'd like to see is an 18 inch tablet with WiMAX, a memory stick reader, dvorak keyboard, and lots of custom color options. That'd be AWESOME. To hell with making it "decent".
post #55 of 242
Quote:

Just quit the company already and let more experienced/better executives take over, like Tim Cook and Phil Schiller. We'll be better off without you.

Nice... Must be cool to be so bad-ass.
post #56 of 242
If Steve goes, so does Apple, it's happened before and will happen again. There will be nobody for Microsoft to chase and computers will be stuck with either whatever Windows version was the last to take inspiration from an Apple product for 20 years, or one of the many pernickety Linux distros.

Steve didn't make anything that was really new, he just made his version so much more complete, I have read much from ex employees about how much he wanted whatever was being worked on to be perfect, and wouldn't take anything less - the 'hard line' mentioned above. If it wasn't for this hard line, then we would most likely get less. Anyone care to remember the 90's?

The new MacBook Air or iPhone isn't specifically technology we haven't seen before or been using for years, but it is the way in which it's been executed that's the real innovation. I'm sure there's plenty of talented people at Apple that have helped along the way, Jonathan Ive for instance, but Steve's the guy pointing the way for these guy's to pull it together.

He knows how to shake things up a little anyway, the iPhone for example, it's not perfect, but look at all the copy cats struggling to keep up. They have led the way and others are being forced to follow.

Then again, I'd be very surprised if he was done for.

Get better soon!
post #57 of 242
Steve deserves the time off and has demonstrated that others at Apple can keep things going "insanely great".

I know their stock will suffer in the coming days, but please let the man get a break.
post #58 of 242
This has Enron written all over it
post #59 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Isn't Steve a Buddist? I wonder if he thinks he'll come to life back as the New Microsoft CEO. Some of you guys may be A switcher soon!

Buddhists don't actually believe in rebirth in that way. Your thinking of this guy's religion maybe:
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
In Windows, a window can be a document, it can be an application, or it can be a window that contains other documents or applications. Theres just no consistency. Its just a big grab bag of monkey...
post #60 of 242
Quote:

LOL.

Some people in this thread are emotionally shattered by the news that Jobs will be dead pretty soon, pushing up daisies.

They lost their Messiah.

No Messiah, just got respect for him.
post #61 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewaudi View Post

No Messiah, just got respect for him.

The investors agree. AAPL down 10% in after-hours.

Ste...

Ste...
post #62 of 242
I am sending a Get Well card to Steve via USPS; I urge others to do the same.

Steve Jobs c/o Apple
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014

I called Apple and they confirmed the address of where to send it. I am making my card using my Mac.
post #63 of 242
Quote:

LOL.

They lost their Messiah.

My comment was on the self deception that surfaces so rapidly here, but you seem to be positively gleeful at the bad news.
post #64 of 242
Quote:

If Steve goes, so does Apple, it's happened before and will happen again. ...

Get a grip man. Do you have a life-size gold statue of him in your bedroom or something?

This is quite the different situation than what happened before when he left. Those that were around at the time might remember he was actually forced out after a series of bad news events that happened while he was still there. He was by all accounts an arrogant jerk who was leading the company (in some ways) in the wrong direction.

IMO the time at Next sobered him up and made him into the guy he is today. Also, Apple was doing poorly while he was gone, but it wasn't like every employee was going around running into door jambs or something. The company was in dire straights when they finally got rid of him and suffered through a series of crappy moves for quite a while afterwards. Kind of like the situation Palm has been in for the last ten years or so. When they finally invited him back, they were at deaths door and had no other option. Most people (the way I remember it at least), thought it was probably a bad idea to have him back in charge, but there were no other choices waiting in the wings so they took a chance.

This time, he is leaving (temporarily) a company that is doing fantastic and with no bad feelings. The people he is leaving in charge are also far more capable, and far more experienced than any of the bozos that took over the first time. It's a completely different situation in almost every way, but you won't hear any of that from the tech press.
post #65 of 242
Quote:

The investors agree. AAPL down 10% in after-hours.

Wow, you really are a fucking idiot.
post #66 of 242
Quote:

Uhhhh, overreact much? Chill out.

He's right, you ARE an insensitive bastard!
post #67 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kresh View Post

It does make me wonder. If Steve is admitting it now that the reins have change to Tim, was Steve even involved with the iTunes negotiations? I am beginning to think not since it went against his well known adamant stance.

His stance was adamant but in the context of DRM. The removal of DRM is a major victory for digital distribution and was well worth the compromise. I see no inconsistency.
post #68 of 242
I have been suspecting that this is the case for quite some time. We recently had a family member pass away from pancreatic cancer and all the stuff that Mr. Jobs is going though mirror my aunts experience.

She was also one of the "fortunate" ones who have the operable form of pancreatic cancer. She passed away 2 years after her first operation. The fact is that when the pancreas does not work properly the body can not process food properly and store fat. Before my aunt lost her appetite for food she could eat 6000+ calories of food per day and live a sedentary lifestyle and still lose weight. She could eat ice cream all day and lose weight.

Mr. Jobs has much more money than my aunt did so maybe his doctors have found out a way to extend his life a little but without a working pancreas his passing will be soon.

This is a very sad reality as I have been following the career of Mr Jobs for years. My life has been greatly impacted by the products he as made and the movies he produced through Pixar. If he does pass within the next 6 months it will be too soon and a shame.

To read more about the potential issues that Mr. Jobs is facing anyone can find the info on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatic_cancer
post #69 of 242
On a more serious not I would suggest rustling up any spare cash you might have. The shares will tank for a while making them an absolute bargain.
post #70 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Seems absolute denial by the KoolAid gang didn't work.

Onto Plan B.

You hit that nail right on the head.
Nevertheless this is bad news no matter when it occurs.
post #71 of 242
Wish for your quick Recovery!!
post #72 of 242
on a positive note, if/when he returns in june apple will probably announce some incredible new stuff. his return will get tons of press, and what better way to promote a bunch of new products? netbook? mini? updated apple tv? iphone nano?

not to say these "complex medical issues" are a marketing ploy...
just get better steve!
post #73 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Most people (the way I remember it at least), thought it was probably a bad idea to have him back in charge, but there were no other choices waiting in the wings so they took a chance.

I don't know any Apple fan who thought that. Perhaps you mean the business pundits? They never understood Jobs or Apple to begin with, so I never paid attention to them.
post #74 of 242
Quote:

LOL.

They lost their Messiah.

Worst troll ever.
post #75 of 242
Quote:

If Steve goes, so does Apple, it's happened before and will happen again. There will be nobody for Microsoft to chase and computers will be stuck with either whatever Windows version was the last to take inspiration from an Apple product for 20 years, or one of the many pernickety Linux distros.

Let's put things in perspective.

Steve Jobs v1 messed up Apple III and Mac launches. That was why he was forced out. During the years of John Sculley, Apple did extremely well, until 95 (Windows 95). During those 10 years, Apple had way more innovative products - SCSI, ADB, 32-bit OS, Newton, laptop etc. Apple was a real leader in hardware design. Unfortunately, Copland was going nowhere and that's what was killing Apple after 95.

Steve Jobs v2 brought in OpenStep and a huge pool of talented engineers. It saved Apple, but don't forget, it saved SJ too (NeXT was losing huge amount of $ too).

Actually, during the last 12 years, Apple hardly had any real hardware innovation. However, being a perfectionist, Steve Jobs really helped Apple to produce hit products, from OSX to iPod to iPhone. Certainly, a big factor was that Microsoft's misstep with Vista.

My point is that Steve Jobs had some extremely important leadership quality. However, please don't make it sound that Apple was a totally mess before he went back. Apple was in a big mess from 95 to 97, but was making a killing from 85 to 95.

By the way, in 1995, Apple's market share in US was close to 20%. (it is about 6% today).
post #76 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

You hit that nail right on the head.
Nevertheless this is bad news no matter when it occurs.

I can't help noticing the parallels with similar events behind the Iron Curtain, particularly recently in Cuba and North Korea.

The Cult of Personality has been turned into a tool of Capitalism. Unfortunately it is a double edged sword, as we are all mortal. If greatness is possessed by only a certain individual then when that individual goes there is a lot of explaining to do.

Just how quickly can the followers do their double think to catch up with the double speak?

Judging on past performance, most Apple supporters will turn on a dime, if told to.
post #77 of 242
I dont think Apple as a company will die with out steve jobs. What will die though is the service and culture that made Apple what i is. The reason for this is many people that work Apple work there because of Steve's leadership, personality and vision. With out those things leading the way any more I dont think people are going to go the extra mile. When a company, group, culture or anything has a great leader, The people who work for that leader are willing to go above and beyond and do the impossible. When that leader sucks, all those things go out the window.

Apple's great service and innovation are a result of the passion.

I think with this happening Apple has officially become a Retailer. The excitement will be lost. Just look at how boring that last Keynote was.

I hope Steve Jobs returns to health.
post #78 of 242
As we say in German:
"Gute Besserung, Steve"

It's probably not so bad and Steve decided, that he has a great team around him, that can cover daily business and he can concentrate on his own health. He will still be making the most important strategic decision, but all this other day to day business can be done by Tim Cook.

He should not worry about stuff like:
"Shall we add a 32 GB iphone to the line at a higher price point or should we simply double the storage at existing price points."
"shall the new iPhone Nano be available in 4 or 8 colors?"
"shall we add a 27" iMac to the line"
"should we allow a built to order non-glossy MacBook Pro 15"?"
post #79 of 242
I wish Steve the time and space to fully recover his health. Unfortunately, this was written on the wind. My lying eyes didn't fool me when I tried to believe Steve's explanation.

I own a few AAPL shares but they were already in a slump on rumors of Steve's denial over his medical deterioration. I actually think Job's health saga will be good for Apple in the long run. While it's true there would be no Apple without Steve Jobs the company has grown beyond that era.

The iPhone expansion for example has Tim Cook's imprint all over it and the unibody Macbook is the invention of Jony Ives. This respite from Steve, and I hope it is only a respite, will prove that Apple has moved beyond one man. It is only then that the stock will recover.
post #80 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

This is a dark day. At least he can afford the best doctors and advice.

Money is never enough. He needs luck and divine intervention if he is that bad off. Cancer hits rich and poor the same.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues