or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues - Page 3

post #81 of 242
The cruelness expressed by some of the immature little boys in this thread is really unbelieveable.

The stock probably will take a temporary big psychological hit because of "the cult of Steve". Part of that is Apple's and Steve's own doing. But in the long term, the stock will properly reflect price/earnings ratios and other normal performance indicators.

Because of Steve's persona, people seem to think that he single-handedly sits there and designs computers and products, which is an absurd notion. When Jobs still owned Pixar, he wasn't even at Apple full-time.

The fact is that Jobs should NOT be involved in day-to-day decisions whether his health is good or bad. He should be involved only in the big strategic decisions. They should have let other people shine before now, but they'll be forced to let the other senior executives have a more public persona now.

Hopefully, Steve will be able to recover from his illness and return to Apple. But if not, there's plenty of talent there (although maybe not anyone senior with Steve's communication skills) and they'll continue to attract great talent as they move forward. Even before Steve came back, when Apple was in deep trouble, they still did some great things.
post #82 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post

Steve Jobs is Apple. Apple will wither on the vine over several months until they're bought out. It's over!

I disagree. What Jobs brought to Apple is there to stay. He turned the company around and infused it with his vision. There are now many at Apple that can continue his work.
post #83 of 242
Steve will be fine, despite all the talk he will be around for a long time yet.

However, for the sake of the company it's a good move to give him less focus going forward, doesn't mean he can't play a pivotal role, but the cult of personality clearly got out of control.
post #84 of 242
I don't care about the stock. And I don't really care about the computers. Or the telephones.

Poor guy. All the best to him.
post #85 of 242
Hope he gets well soon.

However this is good for Apple as a company, as its success is too directly linked to SJ these days even though it is the hard work of thousands of people at Apple that make the success. If Apple can demonstrate good moves and growth while he is recuperating and taking a back seat then it might reassure people that Apple can survive post Jobs.

There are people there that have been raised in the Jobsian way of things, things won't change, they won't bring in CEOs from Pepsi again!

Anyway, where's my new Mac Mini?
post #86 of 242
Just when I was starting to have nostalgia for the pre-Jobs days. I said in another thread that if the Mini remains as it is for a full two years, then I would be happy to see Jobs step down. After 18 months I'm rather neutral about it.

His health is a separate matter. I wish him well.
post #87 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Steve is dead meat. This is the beginning of the end. "More complex than I though" with a six month break essentially means there's a high probability he's dying. Not so good for stock holders but possibly good for customers. We might get more variety in Apple products without Steve's hard line on various issues.

Oh well, cancer sucks.

What a nasty piece of work you are!
Charko
Reply
Charko
Reply
post #88 of 242
Steve Jobs is a GIANT in the tech world. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family during this trying time. Get well Steve!!!! However, Apple will survive!!!! You can bet on it.
post #89 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Shit there goes my stock

Time for me to finally buy some AAPL!

Seriously though, I hope Steve gets better soon.
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
You need skeptics, especially when the science gets very big and monolithic. -James Lovelock
The Story of Stuff
Reply
post #90 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAHaulic View Post

I have been suspecting that this is the case for quite some time. We recently had a family member pass away from pancreatic cancer and all the stuff that Mr. Jobs is going though mirror my aunts experience.

She was also one of the "fortunate" ones who have the operable form of pancreatic cancer. She passed away 2 years after her first operation. The fact is that when the pancreas does not work properly the body can not process food properly and store fat. Before my aunt lost her appetite for food she could eat 6000+ calories of food per day and live a sedentary lifestyle and still lose weight. She could eat ice cream all day and lose weight.

Mr. Jobs has much more money than my aunt did so maybe his doctors have found out a way to extend his life a little but without a working pancreas his passing will be soon.

This is a very sad reality as I have been following the career of Mr Jobs for years. My life has been greatly impacted by the products he as made and the movies he produced through Pixar. If he does pass within the next 6 months it will be too soon and a shame.

To read more about the potential issues that Mr. Jobs is facing anyone can find the info on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatic_cancer

SJ has a strange condition called Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia (MEN1) for which he's been treated. Not sure if your relative had this from the links you posted. Known complications are Insulin dependant Diabetes and pancreatic insufficiency. ie Not cancer but a secondary side effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multipl...oplasia_type_1 this link here covers the condition more fully and its clear its a complex condition. From what's been released its unclear whether there has been a recurrence of a hormone secreting tumour or something like IDDM.

What is certain is that Steve Jobs is some sort of vegetarian who may be unwilling to compromise his dietary beliefs in order to make a speedier recovery so its likely it may take him longer to recover his lost weight.

One of my colleagues at work was diagnosed with an aggressive pancreatic cancer. From the initial onset of symptoms the duration of this terminal illness was 9 months. He was also a young man aged 35 with an 18/12 old daughter. Not good.
post #91 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by charko View Post

what a nasty piece of work you are!

you suck man, have you no scruples????
post #92 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobs

In order to take myself out of the limelight and focus on my health, and to allow everyone at Apple to focus on delivering extraordinary products, I have decided to take a medical leave of absence until the end of June.

Problem is, this is doing exactly the opposite. Now that he has officially announced this, all the money-whores are just going to be focussing on this one story and watching their precious stocks closely, trying to cash in best on whatever fluctuations it might cause.

I think it's a step Jobs needed to take because he is getting old and he needs to separate himself from the company so it can stand by itself. He just needs to make the odd appearance here and there like Woz does.
post #93 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenu View Post

What Jobs brought to Apple is there to stay. He turned the company around and infused it with his vision. There are now many at Apple that can continue his work.

Unfortunately that's not always how it works. A lot of companies continue to reflect the personality of the founder after they leave. But then first time there is a serious drop in profits (for whatever reason) the board brings in one of those rationalizing CEOs who takes all the personality and fun out of the place, and it is never the same again.
post #94 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

It must be pretty bad, especially when you consider that his recent letter said he'd be well by spring, now he's taking a leave of absence until the middle of summer.

Sad day for us Apple fans, all we can hope is that Steve is stronger than cancer.

btw, Steve's cancer has a 5 year survival rate, he's in year 4 and something right now

(Don't know if any savvy posters have posted this already.)

5-year survival rates come with percentages: e.g. a 50% 5-year survival rate.

The point is we don't really know how long Steve has to go. And that's if he *does* have cancer. The side-effects of the treatment for cancer are themselves significant.
post #95 of 242
[QUOTE=Kestral;1363083]It must be pretty bad, especially when you consider that his recent letter said he'd be well by spring, now he's taking a leave of absence until the middle of summer.

[QUOTE]

Take a look at a calendar.

He says he's taking leave until the end of June. Spring lasts til June 20th. The middle of summer is in August
post #96 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREB View Post

Ahhhh...capitalism at its worst with some of the most vicious comments about Jobs to date. Without Jobs there would have been no Apple; I wish Apple was not publicly traded as we would get rid of some of the scum here whose only interest are their bloody stock prices!

I echo these sentiments. Although Apple is a business, you can just tell that the products truly have heart. To each their own
post #97 of 242
Get well soon and enjoy the family time!
post #98 of 242
I hope that Steve Jobs is not as sick as we all think. He has been great for apple. He is a fighter and i have heard that he yells at other people at board meetings with other companies to get what he wants. He is what gives apple its guts. I am not saying someone else couldnt do this, but in the technoligy world, who doesnt know Steve Jobs. As a customer i hope he is alright, and that he feels well in his time off and can get back to pushing the line for more great products soon. As a human being i say feel better, and best wishes.
post #99 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Seems absolute denial by the KoolAid gang didn't work.

Onto Plan B.

Apple stole your little bitty iphone, is that why you keep on hating on them, poor little baby. Idiot.
post #100 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

IMO the time at Next sobered him up and made him into the guy he is today.

I would also go as far as to say that his Pixar acquisition contributed to his "growth".
post #101 of 242
You see, I'm not worried about Apple at all because for me the spirit of Apple (bit corny but for lack of a better way of describing it) lives in all of us, from the forumers on here through the employees of Apple and up to the likes of Jonathan Ives. That's something which is immortal (and tbh I really don't think you will see a Lumberg come in there and take over).

So you know, give yourself time to recover Steve (cos you've earned it), in the meantime I am sure Apple will be fine.
post #102 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Apple stole your little bitty iphone, is that why you keep on hating on them, poor little baby. Idiot.

Normally I deal well with incoherence, but could you unravel this for me please?
post #103 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Uhhhh, overreact much? Chill out.

Why should he chill out, how would you like if those comments were made about you,
I'm sure you wouldn't like it. I blame the internet for giving the chance to spew all this garbage, in real life they probably wouldn't have the audacity to even say this to Jobs, selfish punks.
post #104 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser777 View Post

What a f**king insensitive bastard you are. If you don't like Apple products then don't buy them.

Really, pull you head out of your arse. I can't discuss Jobs death because... he's the CEO of a company? He's a billionaire? He has cancer? Are his children reading this thread?

Also I love Apple products, but not their lack of variety. Can you read?
post #105 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Normally I deal well with incoherence, but could you unravel this for me please?

I don't blame you, it's the internet that has given a chance to idiots like you to come and spew this crap, you probably wouldn't have the audacity to stand up to anyone in real life and say that nonsense.
post #106 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charko View Post

What a nasty piece of work you are!

I tell it like it is. If you can't handle that, that's your problem.
post #107 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post

wow!!! do you serve fries with that insensitive bs.

You don't have to drink the kool aid to have a heart.


It's the internet that's given insensitive jerks like that to air out their voices, in the real world, they wouldn't have the audacity to say this crap.
post #108 of 242
Get well soon Steve!
post #109 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

LOL.

Some people in this thread are emotionally shattered by the news that Jobs will be dead pretty soon, pushing up daisies.

They lost their Messiah.

nevermind
post #110 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Wow, you really are a fucking idiot.

Ah, why? Because he's right?

So if we're discussing someone's death or illness we have to all talk bullshit? The real disease is political correctness. I though it was mostly contained in the US but it seems ti have spread to the UK.
post #111 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Really, pull you head out of your arse. I can't discuss Jobs death because... he's the CEO of a company? He's a billionaire? He has cancer? Are his children reading this thread?

Also I love Apple products, but not their lack of variety. Can you read?

You mean you want them to make lousy go for nothing products too.
post #112 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by makesense View Post

To anyone medically trained, the excuses over the last several months for his declining health were bogus, and may elicit the biggest lawsuits against Apple it has ever seen. Nevertheless, Steve is a good man, and hopefully he recovers.

Hi, Tom. Posting the same comment on multiple websites doesn't "makesense."

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/01/14/steve...june/#comments (See Comment #10)
post #113 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Why should he chill out, how would you like if those comments were made about you,
I'm sure you wouldn't like it. I blame the internet for giving the chance to spew all this garbage, in real life they probably wouldn't have the audacity to even say this to Jobs, selfish punks.

What comments? That he's probably dying and he's probably in denial about it? Why shouldn't we have an open and frank discussion? Instead we get all these stupid "Get Well Steve" posts that Steve isn't going to read or ever find out about and only serve the people who post them, and probably reflect their concern for their stock portfolios instead of anyone's health.

People die all the time, people get cancer. Maybe you will, maybe I will (there's about 30% lifetime risk I believe). Yes it sucks for whoever gets diagnosed but that's not very interesting. What's more interesting is what will happen and what it might be like without Steve.
post #114 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Shit there goes my stock

Tell me about it... I've been playing hi/lo, sell at 99, buy at 90.
Bought back in big day before yesterday at 89.
Oh well, maybe this will get us past the Steve health roller coaster.

Best of luck to him in any event.
post #115 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

You mean you want them to make lousy go for nothing products too.

Yeah that's right, if you have more products they have to be shit.

Thank god you're not in line for the CEO job.
post #116 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

It's the internet that's given insensitive jerks like that to air out their voices, in the real world, they wouldn't have the audacity to say this crap.

Yes! You're right! This is the internet and no-one would say this stuff to a persons face. It's a discussion forum, not Steve's hospital room or his family's kitchen.
post #117 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

What comments? That he's probably dying and he's probably in denial about it? Why shouldn't we have an open and frank discussion? Instead we get all these stupid "Get Well Steve" posts that Steve isn't going to read or ever find out about and only serve the people who post them, and probably reflect their concern for their stock portfolios instead of anyone's health.

People die all the time, people get cancer. Maybe you will, maybe I will (there's about 30% lifetime risk I believe). Yes it sucks for whoever gets diagnosed but that's not very interesting. What's more interesting is what will happen and what it might be like without Steve.

So I guess this is the appropriate thread for comments like the company would be better of without him?
post #118 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I don't blame you, it's the internet that has given a chance to idiots like you to come and spew this crap, you probably wouldn't have the audacity to stand up to anyone in real life and say that nonsense.

I think you are mistaking my comments about the odd behaviour often witnessed here, with sacrilege against the great man.

The Princess Di effect is starting to take over, except in this case there is a rush to appear more loyal and devout by initially denying what seems to clearly be a grave illness, then when that is no longer tenable, denying that it actually is in probability more than they are admitting to bit by bit.

The absolute, adamant assertions of media "lies and bias", in previous forums, seem to be unchecked by the unfolding events which show the "lies and bias" are just straight reporting and in all probability Apple is making this a PR managed transition.
post #119 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Yes! You're right! This is the internet and no-one would say this stuff to a persons face. It's a discussion forum, not Steve's hospital room or his family's kitchen.

So because it's the internet, we should be hiding behind our computer screens and spewing insensitive crap?
post #120 of 242
Actually, the 5-year survival rate for pancreatic cancer is infinitesimal. So is the 4-year. The fact that he has survived >4 years itself argues against this being either primary or a recurrence. It is not infrequent that p.c. patients die within mere weeks of diagnosis and some never even leave the hospital after the initial diagnostic tests. There are poor stats for recurrence because so few people survive the primary long enough to even have what can reasonably be called a recurrence. Jobs would have had to beat lotto odds to have lived 4+ years with it.

Per StevenPJ above, far more statistically likely is that he has a serious side-effect related to the (sometimes draconian) surgery to fix the original islet malignancy, which is not the same thing as pancreatic cancer or a recurrence of it. If the pancreas ducts have become loaded with scar tissue for ex it may be threatening to fail entirely -- make no mistake: a grave, even potentially fatal, condition requiring drastic countermeasures. But not as far out of the realm of therapy as full-tilt pancreatic cancer would be. And certainly consistent with the syndrome as he has reported it and with taking several months off to take the serious emergency measures to deal with it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Steve Jobs taking leave from Apple due to complex health issues