or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › RAM for Mac Pro
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RAM for Mac Pro

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I want to add some ram memory to a Mac Pro at my workplace. The Mac Pro came with 2 GB 800 MHZ. Do you think I can add this type of RAM to it? This is not ECC memory.

Also, I have red that in order for the Mac Pro to work properly needs to have all the ram sticks of the same quantity (1 Gb for example). Is this mandatory? Could I have 2 sticks of 2 GBs each and 2 of 1 GB each?
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis View Post

I want to add some ram memory to a Mac Pro at my workplace. The Mac Pro came with 2 GB 800 MHZ. Do you think I can add this type of RAM to it? This is not ECC memory.

Also, I have red that in order for the Mac Pro to work properly needs to have all the ram sticks of the same quantity (1 Gb for example). Is this mandatory? Could I have 2 sticks of 2 GBs each and 2 of 1 GB each?

Oh yes it is error correcting memory. In fact it's even more expensive than normal registered ECC RAM- the current Mac Pros use fully buffered DIMMs (FB-DIMM). Even better, not all FB-DIMM RAM works in the MP, because that type of memory requires lots of cooling and the MP's fans provide so little airflow, the RAM requires special, larger heatsinks to work stably.

So you have to use Apple-spec 800MHz FB-DIMM memory. That stuff is expensive.

It is, however, very easy to add more to the Mac Pro. And it doesn't really matter if the sticks are not all the same capacity, but normal DDR2 will NOT work.
post #3 of 5
Artanis, OT?
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Oh yes it is error correcting memory. In fact it's even more expensive than normal registered ECC RAM- the current Mac Pros use fully buffered DIMMs (FB-DIMM). Even better, not all FB-DIMM RAM works in the MP, because that type of memory requires lots of cooling and the MP's fans provide so little airflow, the RAM requires special, larger heatsinks to work stably.

So you have to use Apple-spec 800MHz FB-DIMM memory. That stuff is expensive.

It is, however, very easy to add more to the Mac Pro. And it doesn't really matter if the sticks are not all the same capacity, but normal DDR2 will NOT work.

They don't have to all be the same but they should be in matched pairs, per riser.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Oh yes it is error correcting memory. In fact it's even more expensive than normal registered ECC RAM- the current Mac Pros use fully buffered DIMMs (FB-DIMM). Even better, not all FB-DIMM RAM works in the MP, because that type of memory requires lots of cooling and the MP's fans provide so little airflow, the RAM requires special, larger heatsinks to work stably.

So you have to use Apple-spec 800MHz FB-DIMM memory. That stuff is expensive.

It is, however, very easy to add more to the Mac Pro. And it doesn't really matter if the sticks are not all the same capacity, but normal DDR2 will NOT work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post

They don't have to all be the same but they should be in matched pairs, per riser.

So, I guess I can add something like this, I am reffering to the VSA4GBKITFB800D2 type (the 4Gb at the bottom of the list). The thing is that even this memory has a better price. The upgrade to 4 Gb on the apple website costs 500$ and if I buy this its 375$ and I get 6 GB of RAM.
I guess it will work fine, what do you guys say?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › RAM for Mac Pro